Raped in Jamaica: Detroit woman turns gun on mondingo employee attacker at 5-star hotel

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...omen-raped-jamaica-shoot-attacker/1471684002/

Raped in Jamaica: Detroit woman turns gun on attacker at 5-star hotel
Updated 5:27 p.m. ET Oct. 2, 2018

4e0a747b-4ad8-4e48-ac06-84075c852668-IMG_8318.jpg

It was the last night of their Jamaican getaway at the 5-star hotel.

Two Detroit women were soaking in the comforts of their room one last time. One was Facetiming a friend on the balcony; the other was plopped down on her bed listening to music.

For five days, this had been their comfort zone, their safety zone. And then their world changed.

At 11:15 p.m. Thursday, a gunman crawled up their balcony and barged into their second-floor room at the Hotel Riu Reggae. He raped them both, authorities say.

The nightmare lasted for about 15 minutes until one of the women got hold of the gun and shot the attacker twice before he jumped off the balcony and fled.

“At night, it really haunts me. All I see is his eyes,” the victim who shot the suspect said in an exclusive interview with the Free Press on Monday. “I just want to know why.”

But more than that, she wants justice. She wants the attacker to pay for a night of hell that ended with her walking through a hotel half-naked, finding her way to the reception desk and placing a gun on the counter.

“I said, ‘There was a gunman in my room. He raped and robbed me and my friend. And I took the gun and I shot him,” the woman recalled telling the front desk personnel, who summoned police.

5e0ac7fb-5a14-4780-a92e-2ea04a9ea7b7-jamican_rape_suspect.jpg

According to Montego Bay police, the suspect is a 24-year-old hotel employee named Scott Dowe who had worked at Hotel Riu Reggae just three days before the attack occurred. He is a dancer who worked for an entertainment company that performed at the hotel. He was arrested on Friday after checking himself into a Jamaican hospital, where medical staff alerted the authorities about a shooting victim. He is in custody and charges are expected, police said. He has an initial court appearance on Tuesday morning.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...esorts-tripadvisor-sexual-assault/1520587002/

Resorts in Jamaica are facing a 'historic' sexual assault problem
Updated 10:34 a.m. ET Oct. 31, 2018

609586659_750x422.jpg

In a dark laundry room at a Jamaican Sandals resort, pinned to the floor by a hotel lifeguard, a Michigan teenage girl lay paralyzed with fear as the man bit her lip and raped her, violently robbing her virginity.

When her mother found her after the assault, trembling and holding herself in a hallway, the 17-year-old couldn't speak. She could only point to a metal door.

Behind the door, her friend was being gang-raped by three resort lifeguards.

This is the Jamaica that the U.S. State Department has repeatedly warned tourists about. This is the island paradise that the government says has a pervasive sexual assault problem, the place where two Detroit women were raped in September, and an estimated one American is raped each month.

More: Jamaica isn't the only tourist hot spot with a rape problem

Over the past seven years, 78 U.S. citizens have been raped in Jamaica according to State Department statistics from 2011-17. The victims include: A mentally handicapped woman in her 20s; an Indiana mother gang-raped by three Cuban soccer players in a resort bathroom stall; a 20-year-old woman raped by two men in her hotel; two Detroit mothers raped at gunpoint in their room; a Kent County teenager and her 21-year-old friend, gang-raped by lifeguards in a locked laundry room at the resort where they were staying.

Perhaps most alarming for tourists is that sexual assaults are occurring inside gated resorts — the place they are led to believe that they are most safe. For example, this year, the Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, where the lifeguard assaults occurred in 2015, was given the Travelers Choice Award by TripAdvisor; it's the travel group's highest recognition given to the top 1 percent of hotels.

Back