Seven negroes arrested in gambling murder

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

Seven Charged in Vicksburg Murder

Just before midnight Thursday, gunshots rang out on Adams street in Vicksburg.

Alma Butler was jolted awake. "I was just lying down right here [on the living room sofa and my foot was behind the pillow like this and I heard the gunshots. I heard something say 'shhhhhh.'"

Lucky for Butler, that hissing bullet hit a pillow on her couch and not her leg. The force of the bullet blew stuffing across her living room. Pointing at a footstool opposite the couch, Butler said, "[The bullet was] sitting right here,...right here u
derneath the cotton [pillow stuffing]."

Police believe not all the bullets missed their target. Vicksburg Public Information Officer DaVon Grey said around midnight police found a body lying in

the grass at the corner of Fayette and Cherry streets. 44 year old Christoph
er Cage
of natchez was found dead on the scene, shot to death, one block away from Butler's house.

Six were taken in for questioning early Friday morning. Vicksburg residents Jamaal Bell and Keon D. Hatchett, were both charged with capital murder. Around 4:30 Friday, police picked up Zachary Conner, also on a capital murder charge.

Charged with accesssory after the fact are George Deon Scott, Jimmie Felix, Tameka Washington, and Tashiba Williams, all of Vicksburg.

Grey said police believe the motive may be related to gambling. "We believe those involved in the incident were involved with some kind of game of chance and also robbery."

<a hre
f='http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040710/NEWS01/407100353/1002' target='_blank'>6 arrested, 1 sought after Vicksburg man shot to death</a>

Six people were ar
rest
ed Friday and another is being sought in the shooting death of a man who was robbed and killed after a night of gambling
on the streets of Vicksburg, an official said.

Christopher Cage, 44, of Natchez won money from his alleged killers, which "upset the suspects," said Vicksburg Police Department spokesman DaVon Grey. "He was later robbed and shot multiple times."

The father of one of the suspects said he often warned his son about hanging out in the streets. Walter Bell, father of Jamaal Bell, said his son was on probation for an armed-robbery conviction.

"I have talked to that boy every day about trying to get him to work, to help himself, but he just wouldn't listen," Walter Bell said. "I love him to death, but my wife an
d me have 10 children
, and we've had more problems out of him than we have any of them."

Jamaal Bell, 20, and Keon D. Hiatchett, 17, both of
Vicksbur
g, are charged with capital murder, Grey said. A third capital-murder suspect, Zachery Conner of Vicksburg, is being sought, Grey said.

Four other people are charged with accessory to capita
l murder after the fact, Grey said. They are George Deon Scott, 24, Jimmie Renee Felix, 21, Tameka Washington, 18, and Tashiba Marie Williams, 23, all of Vicksburg, Grey said. Each was being held at the Warren County Jail on Friday night, Grey said.

The shooting appears to be related to a call to police about 11:45 p.m. Thursday from an Adams Street resident saying someone fired a shot into his home, Grey said. The bullet entered the living room and damaged personal property, but did not hit anyone, Grey said.

Cage's bullet-riddled body was found after midnight when a motorist reported it in a
grassy area near Fayette and Cherry streets, Grey said.

What else is left to say but....Wa
ke up America and smell the negro!

T.N.B.

Back