Sexual Assault In Dobie Garage

Hellcat

Registered

Sexual Assault In Dobie Garage
sexassault_suspect.jpg

A 20-year-old woman says a man sexually assaulted her in a parking garage near the UT campus earlier this week. Police are putting out survellence video of a suspect.

Police say it happened after the woman walked into a parking garage. It's something students do everyday. In this case, police say the person they're looking for was caught by the cameras inside.

"Dobie is one of the most popular off campus dormatories on UT, so many students come back and forth during the school year."

At the height of summer orien
ation, parking in the Dobie Garage is at a premium with students using the building day and night.

"Since parking on campus is very scarce, people always use the parking garages. That's the

most available parking on campus," UT student Hannah Robinson said.

For student safety, there are sur
veillence cameras everywhere at Dobie. One camera caught the man Tuesday night who police believe is fleeing the scene of a sexual assault.

"A female went to her car, in the parking garage, and she sat down in the car and started the car. She was approached by a black male suspect. She was forced to undress, and then he sexually assaulted her," Martina Dominguez with the Austin Police Department said.

Elizabeth Shingledecker saw the police cars at Dobie Tuesday night, and she knows the danger of walking alone.

"It's not a pleasant place to be at night. Security will walk me out at night because I've had some bad experiences with people here," Shi
ngledecker said.

It's a warning for potential students staying on campus.

"The orientation is over today, and we learned a lot of things. I learned about campus security, abou
t se
xual assault, sexual abuse, and it's things that you need to be aware of," prospective UT student Carolina Cavati said.

Police say the suspect is still on the
loose. He's described as a black male, about 5'10" and bald, with muscular build and freckles. Police are taking any tips from people who may know the suspect.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=2047258&nav=0s3dOqnj

Back