Stephanie Hummer, 18, raped & murdered

-88-

Registered
sh13uk.jpg

Dan and Sue Hummer of Finneytown hold their favorite photo of their daughter, Stephanie, who was killed in March, 1994.

sh27dw.jpg

Dan and Sue Hummer of Finneytown found out Wednesday that a Columbus man had been arrested for the 1994 killing of their daughter, Stephanie.

Arrest made in '94 slaying
Stephanie Hummer was killed near OSU campus

FINNEYTOWN - The family of Stephanie Hummer had given up hope that anyone would be charged in her 1994 slaying near the Ohio State University campus.

Then came the news Wednesday that both shocked and overwhelmed them: Police have arrested a 35 year-old Columbus man and charged him with her murder.

Sitting in a love sea

t in their Finneytown home Wednesday evening, Sue and Dan Hummer finished each other's sentences as they struggled to overcome th
e
physical and mental exhaustion that the past day has brought.

Behind them on the couch was an assortment of family photos showing Stephanie and her two brothers through the years.

"All these years we haven't had anyone specific to be mad at, because you cannot be mad at the police - because this was just an unsolvable situation, and you cannot be mad at her friends that she was with. ... And now we have a person to be quite angry at, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it," said Stephanie's mother, Sue Hummer.

Police arrested Jonathan J. Gravely after a DNA match through Ohio's Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS, pointed to him as the likely killer, police said.

Gravely's DNA was in the database because of an earlier arrest for failure to pay child support.

Until this week, his name had never come
up i
n the in the investigation. Hundreds of others had been questioned over the years.

"It took a little while, but through some good police work and some to
ols that the
state legislature has given us, we were able to make an arrest," said Michael Woods, a spokesman for the Columbus Police Department.

"It's been a rough night," said a tearful Kathy Herrmann, one of Hummer's closest friends. "It has kind of brought back a lot of memories. But I am glad. I am so glad for the family. I'm glad for everyone that was involved."

Hummer, a 1993 Finneytown High School graduate, was a freshman on full scholarship at Ohio State University when she was killed. Police said she was kidnapped near the campus as she walked to a party in the early morning of March 6, 1994.

Her partially clothed body was found face-down in a field about four miles from her dorm. She had been sexually assaulted and bludgeoned in the back of the head.

Both parents s
ay they
don't care to know why the man accused of killing and raping her daughter did it, but they want to know how much she struggled and if she fought back.

Neither believed an arrest would come.

n"Quite honestly, we g
ave up hope. Because if there was any significant hope, there was going to be consistent disappointments," said Dan Hummer. "I think quite honestly we all thought we'd go to our graves not knowing who did this and how it happened and why it happened."

Police found Gravely at a labor pool site Wednesday, and during questioning he admitted to the crime, police said. He was charged with one count of murder, and is expected to be arraigned today in Franklin County.

Hummer, an athlete with a vivacious personality who had talked about a career as a landscape architect, would have turned 31 this year.

In 2002, a park along North Bend Road, a short distance from her Springfield Township home, was dedicated in her memory.

Perhaps t
he most rew
arding change in the years since Hummer's slaying, police said Wednesday, was a state law passed last May that required all convicted felons - and in some cases, people convicted of misdemeanors - to submit DNA evidence to a statew
ide database. That's wh
at led police to Gravely.

Columbus Police Detective Pat Barr, the lead investigator on the case, has since moved out of the homicide division. But he was there Wednesday when officers approached Gravely.

"He said he didn't sleep (Tuesday) night with the anticipation," Woods said of Barr. Barr and another officer came to the Hummers' home on Tuesday to personally tell the family that they had a DNA match.

Aside from the nonsupport case and some drinking and driving arrests, Gravely has no record of violent offenses, Woods said. Police said it didn't appear he was on the run the past 12 years.

"He probably thought that after 12 years he was clear," Woods said.

News of the a
rrest shocked a
nd thrilled Hummer's friends.

"I'm ecstatic," said Karen Silvernell, 26. "It's the news I've been waiting to hear." Silvernell was just 14 when Hummer was killed, and had been out with her just a week before she was killed.

As news of Gravely&#3
9;s arrest spread, Herrmann, of Delhi Townsh
ip, said her phone rang off the hook. With the calls also came the tears for a friendship cut short, Herrmann said.

"There have been times and events in my life - like when you get married - that remind me of the things we used to do," Herrmann said. "But you know, this is really nice. I am happy, even though this is hard. It's hard because it brings up a lot of memories. And I'm sure for her family, this has to be the second-hardest day."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../601190371/1056

Junglebunny nailed by DNA in 1994 rape/murder of college student

DNA links Ohio felon to 1994 slaying

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A man convicted in a child-support case three years ago is now charged with murder after a DNA sample, required under a new state law for convicted felons, was matched to the 1994 killing of a college freshman.

The 35-year-old man hadn't been a suspect in her death until the DNA match was discovered last year. He was jailed Thursday on $1 billion bond.

44586.39OH-STUDENT-SLAIN.sff.jpg

Police say Jonathan J. Gravely didn't know the victim, 19-year-old Stephanie Hummer.

Her body was found in
r
a field hours after she disappeared while walking to a friend's house near the Ohio State University campus. She had bee
n rap
ed and died of a blow to the head in what appeared to have been a random attack
, said Columbus police detective Russell Redman.

Hundreds of people were interviewed, and DNA testing eliminated several suspects, but the case remained unsolved.

Then, last year, a DNA sample from Gravely was submitted to a crime database. A new Ohio law required DNA samples be taken from anyone convicted of a felony, and Gravely had a 2003 felony conviction in the Columbus area for failure to pay child support, Sgt. Michael Woods said.

Hummer's parents said they were relieved the case could be approaching an end, but they said the arrest had stirred old emotions.

"Now we have a person to be quite angry at, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it," said her mother, Sue Hummer.

Judge Scott VanDerKarr set the bon
d w
hen Gravely made his initial court appearance Thursday. The judge said later that the unusually high bond was appropriate in a potential death penalty case w
here a
suspect had "been able to elude law enforcement for 12 years."

--------------------------

You'd expect a murdering savage nigger to lay low and be a model Uncle Tom-assed citizen, but there is no restraining the T.N.B. instincts that several million years of devolution have programmed into the feral junglebunnies. Hang this chimp high!

Story at www.columbusdispatch.com type in 1 billion dollar bond in search box. This has been a big story here for years. A bond of $1 Billion tells me they want this nigger. No picture in the artical, but I went to the Franklin County court website to check, and indeed it is a nigger. Gee, imagine that.....Thanks guys.

6222936_240X180.jpg

Man Held On $1 Billion Bond In Hummer Slaying
DNA Connects Man To 1994 Homicide

UPDATED: 10:24 pm EST January 19, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A Columbus man was ordered held under a $1 billion bond on Thursday in the 1994 slaying of Ohio State freshman Stephanie Hummer.

Jonathan J. Gravely

Jonathan J. Gravely made his initial appearance in Franklin County Municipal Court and pleaded not guilty, NBC 4's Kyle Anderson reported.

"With the murder allegations, the possibility of a death penalty specification, the alleged defendant having been able to elude law enforcement for 12 years, I felt a bond that was substantial was appropriate," said Judge Scott VanDerKarr.

Gravely, 35, was arrested Wednesday and was charged with homic

ide, NBC 4 reported.

VIDEO: Scene Revisited | Man Held On Bond | Arrest Made | Hummer's Parents |
Com
munity Remembers
SLIDESHOWS: Gravely In Court | Images Of Stephanie Hummer | 1994 Crime Scene | Stephanie Hummer Memorial Park

Detectives said they picked up Gravely where he works on River Street.

Police said Gravely was not on the radar as a suspect in Hummer's murder. Her body was found in a field on March 7, 1994.

Hummer, 18, was a freshman at The Ohio State University. She was with friends in her dorm room on a Saturday night in March 1994 when they decided to go to another apartment, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

Hummer and her friends separated along the way and she was last seen walking through Pearl Alley near campus.

Her partially nude body was found in a field more than three miles away near railroad tracks.

Stephanie Hummer

Detectives said they followed up on more than 2,000 tips and interviewed 32 people but never made an
arre
st.

Sources told NBC 4 that Gravely recently pleaded guilty to failure to pay child support. After his plea, his DNA was taken i
n acco
rdance with Ohio law. Soon after, the state's DNA database made a match to evidence from Hummer's slaying.

"We contacted (Gravely), then brought him to headquarters where he confessed to the crime," said Columbus police Det. Russell Redman.

According to Redman, Gravely was nervous when they contacted him and was upset about the police allegations.

Gravely's rap sheet included minor charges, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. In 1996, he was found guilty on misdemeanor drug abuse and a weapons violation.

Police said that although Gravely confessed to the crime, he was expected to plead not guilty to the murder charge.

Hummer's Parents Express Relief

The parents of Stephanie Hummer said Wednesday night that news of an arrest in their daughter's murder is what they were awaiting for nearly 12 yea
rs.
<
br>Dan and Sue Hummer

"Quite frankly, Stephanie's death has been ancient history," said Dan Hummer, Stephanie's father. "The news now, all of a sudden,
brings us back to March 6,
1994. After you go past the first week and nothing happens, and the first year, and nothing happens, and the first five years, then 10 years -- that's a lot of tomorrows to hope for some good news."

"After a while, you live with this fact that Stephanie is not here we'll have to do things differently than we thought we would," said Sue Hummer, the girl's mother.

"All of a sudden you get some news of a positive DNA match, and we've got a suspect and then you find out that you've got somebody behind bars, wow," said Dan Hummer. "We all sort of figured we would go to our grave, never knowing."

Sue Hummer said that she cannot comprehend someone being that evil and said that she can think of a lot of punishments for her da
ughter's
killer.

"There is no closure," said Sue Hummer. "I still miss Stephanie. We'd love to have her opinion on things. She always had one."

Reminders Of Stephanie

Members of the Hummer family are not the only peo
ple who wondered if the case would ever reac
h resolution.

The case lived on in the memory of a man who was at the scene the day Hummer's body was found.

Tom Nastoff has owned the Graves Fence Company for more than 20 years. He was at his business, next to the scene where police converged, just west of downtown.

"I happened to be working that morning and I saw two CSX Railroad vehicles up here in this parking lot, which was kind of odd," Nastoff said.

Nastoff took NBC 4's Holly Hollingsworth into the woods where Hummer's body was found.

"There were no leaves on the trees, similar to now. And when the railroad engine was going by, the engineer happened to glance this way and he saw the
silhouette of a
torso," Nastoff said. "It was really great to hear that they caught the person involved.

Columbus police Officer Pat Barr was the lead detective following Stephanie Hummer's slaying.

Officer Pat Barr

He traveled to Finneytown, Ohio, on Tuesday night, the Cincinnati sub
urb where Dan and Sue Hummer live, to tell them of t
he DNA match connecting Jonathan Gravely to the crime.

Barr said that he has continued to carry Stephanie Hummer's picture and the weight of her unsolved death for more than a decade.

"You get one case that it just gets to you," Barr said. "I got close with the family. It eats you alive," Barr said.

Hummer's slaying was the first of an Ohio State student in 20 years. It stunned the campus community, parents and fellow students at the time. It also brought change.

The girl's parents and Ohio State administrators pushed for installation of emergency phones on Pearl Alley and dozens of
other locations, w
here callers would be connected to a 911 operator with the push of a button.

Second-year student Adrienne DeAngelis said she did not know about the Hummer slaying, but said Wednesday night that she was happy an alleged killer was found.

"We all got something from her life being taken," DeAngelis said. "Our campus now can be
a little bit safer."

At Holy Name Elementary School, ju
st north of the Ohio State campus, a memorial that was dedicated to Stephanie Hummer in 1995 remains. The poem she wrote, "When I Am Gone," had a new poignancy for after being gone nearly 12 years, it appears the one who took her was found.

DNA for NIGGERS is all the same "Damned Nigger Animals"

I am taking bets the woman this NIGGER had a child with and owes support for is WHITE!

Originally posted by Rasp@Jan 19 2006, 03:25 PM
You'd expect a murdering savage nigger to lay low and be a model Uncle Tom-assed citizen, but there is no restraining the T.N.B. instincts that several million years of devolution have programmed into the feral junglebunnies.
Stephanie Hummer was raped and murdered March 6, 1994. Jonathan J. Gravely was found guilty of two traffic violations committed March 26, 1994. So they had their man in the same month she was killed.

I'm not sure how to link to the search results, but try using this to search for Jonathan J. Gravely, hardly model Uncle Tom-assed citizen. Traffic violations, dr

ugs, weapons, soliciting ...

http://www.fcmcclerk.com/Pa/pa.htm

Slaying suspect a high-school star

COLUMBUS - The 35-year-old Columbus man jailed here on $1 billion bond went from high school track star to multiple offender involving drugs, alcohol and weapons.

Now, a DNA test makes him the prime suspect in the 1994 abduction, rape and murder of Ohio State University freshman Stephanie Hummer, 18, of Finneytown.

Jonathan J. Gravely, a 6-foot 1-inch, 220-pound sprinter on the Whetstone High School track team, graduated from the Columbus public school in 1989.

Police arrested him Wednesday at a warehouse where he was working as a temporary laborer.

During questioning, police said he made a statement about the killing.

Robert J. Beck Jr., hi

s public defender, told a judge Thursday he might move to suppress t

hat statement.

Police said it was a confession.

Beck said Gravely hadn't waived his rights before talking with police. Beck did not return calls for comment.

Daniel Sablosky, 30, a native of Colerain Township, resided with Hummer in the same Evans Scholars House as freshmen OSU students the year she was killed. She was attending OSU on an Evans scholarship.

Sablosky's photo appears next to hers in the house's television room, one of six composites still hanging in the lounge. Hummer's younger brother, Tom, now 24, also lived in the scholars' house on 14th Avenue not far from the center of campus.

Stephanie Hummer disappeared at 3:30 a.m. March 6, 1994, while walking from Evans House to a friend's house on 10th Avenue.

Sablosky recalled how her friends telephoned about 6 a.m. looking for her. It was the first word she was missing.<
br><
br>Sablosky, who now works as the Evans House property manager, said he was relieved but troubled
by news of
Wednesday's arrest.

'The focus was on us'

The arrest opened old wounds from a time even Stephanie's housemates were considered suspects.

"One thing scared me. The focus was on us," Sablosky recalled. "I'm relieved it's nobody I know.

"For all of us here, it was a pretty surreal thing to go through since we were all just a bunch of 18- to 19-year-old students."

Sablosky said no one recalls seeing Gravely around campus.

"I was always hopeful" the case would be solved, Sablosky said.

Hummer's body was found about 10 hours after her disappearance, two miles south of the OSU campus in a field at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers.

She had been raped and died from a blow to the head.

A law passed in May requires con
victed f
elons and some people convicted of serious misdemeanors to submit DNA samples to a crime database.

Gravely submitted a sample in June because of his 2003 felony convicti
on for failure to pay child
support, Columbus Police Sgt. Michael Woods said.

Police and state law-enforcement officials said they will continue to look for matches.

"Ultimately, this legislation will result in solving countless other cases and preventing even more," Attorney General Jim Petro said.

Hundreds of people were interviewed in the Hummer case, and DNA testing eliminated several suspects, police said.

Gravely, who police say did not know Hummer, was not an original suspect in her death.

University officials said the installation of off-campus emergency phones and redevelopment of the neighborhood were inspired, in part, by the widespread attention generated by Hummer's death.

According
to court re
cords, Gravely had 17 prior arrests in Franklin County from 1992 to 2001, mostly related to drug and alcohol use, driving violations and one weapons charge.

He also was charged with reckless operation of a vehicle just 20 days afte
r Hummer's disappearance.[
/color]

'Nobody knows him'

"We don't have anything to say," said a woman answering the door at Gravely's last known address, in the 1800 block of Piedmont Road, a modest home in a crime-ridden neighborhood on Columbus' North Side.

Two teenagers hanging out in a car on the corner asked what the reporter wanted. "Nobody knows him around here,'' one said before shutting the car door.

One thing is known about Gravely: He was an athlete and still holds the Whetstone High boys' track team records in the 100- and 200-meter dashes.

Faculty members were unwilling to talk about him Thursday as word spread about
his arrest, acc
ording to school district spokesman Mike Straughter.

Billion-dollar bond

Gravely apparently tied another local record here Thursday - in court.

"With the murder allegations, the possibility of a death penalty specification, the a
lleged defendant having been able to elude law enf
orcement for 12 years, I felt a bond that was substantial was appropriate," Franklin County Municipal Judge Scott VanDerKarr said.

VanDerKarr set a $1 billion bond once before, in the case of a prostitution ring involving defendants who had foreign contacts with access to substantial amounts of money, he said.

Neither the judge nor the court clerk's office is aware of any other bond being set that high in Columbus.

Sorry, mr nigger, I ain't gots one billion dollah to gets yo black ass out of jail.
:rotfl: Wake up America and smell the nigger.

T.N.B.

This evil primate race continues to be a curse to our white race. Every nigger should have it's DNA taken when a sow sh*ts out a niglet. The penalty for even one offense for a boon should be death. This evil feral race should not be allowed to exist among us!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest in peace, Stefanie.

Gman

The most violent scio path Congoids are as we know the ones who have impregnated the most wombs..

There was a story on NNN about two or three years ago, about a Catholic Leftist Nun supporter of Civil wrongs in the Bay Area of S.F. CAof the late 1960's getting rapped by a Black radical, and she did not press charges and raised the Ape, giving a education as best as can be done. Well Jr. Rape Ape, was busted raping white women in the Bay Area, and breaking into their homes too.. Surprised the story ever made it to the press, the reporter was retiring or got fired most llikely..

Back