Tossed and Toasted Niglets

Child Injured During Rowhome Fire In Trenton, New Jersey​

By CBS3 StaffMarch 11, 2022 at 5:41 am

TRENTON, N.J. (CBS) — A child was injured during a row house fire in Trenton, New Jersey on Friday morning. It happened around 1 a.m. on the 300 block of Hamilton Avenue.
Child Injured During Rowhome Fire In Trenton, New Jersey
CBS3 has been told all four people inside the home got out.
The child was taken to the hospital and is in stable condition.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Philly Fire Chief Adam Thiel Gets Emotional After 4 People, Including 3 Children, Killed In House Fire: ‘Philadelphia Has Fire Problem’​

By Alyssa AdamsApril 24, 2022 at 4:45 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia fire commissioner Adam Thiel was emotional Sunday afternoon as he provided an update following a house fire that left four people dead, including three children, in Kensington.
“Philadelphia has a fire problem and we need your help because fire is everyone’s fight,” Thiel said.
Thiel says there was so much fire blowing out of the first and second story of a home on the 3200 block of Hartville Street when firefighters arrived around 2 a.m. that they couldn’t get close to the building.
The street is also so narrow that they were not able to get the entire engine into the block.
An aggressive interior attack led firefighters into the home where they searched for survivors and started to knock down the flames. One person was able to escape and was transported to the hospital and placed in stable condition.
Unfortunately, three children and another person did not survive the fire.
Two of the children who died were students at Lewis Elkin Elementary, principal Charlotte Gillum-Maddox said. She says the children were in Kindergarten and third grade. A number of teachers from the elementary school were at the home in support of the family.
The fire was placed under control at 2:28 a.m.
At this point in the investigation, Commissioner Thiel says there is no evidence of working smoke detectors inside the home.
The fire department is pleading for Philadelphia residents to ensure they have proper, working smoke detectors inside their homes. It’s as simple as calling 311 to schedule to have the fire department come out and check.
“Folks it matters, it matters,” Thiel said. “Our firefighters are the best in the business, they do an incredible job but when you see this fire, when you see the video of other fires, you’ll see our members accepting an incredible level of risk quite literally putting their lives on the line to get in these homes and do everything they can to make a rescue and put the fire out. Unfortunately with fires burning hotter and faster than ever before, despite our best efforts, the best efforts of our members, we are tragically and unfortunately as this morning too often, too late to make the difference we want to make. All of us standing here swore an oath to protect lives and property everywhere we can do it. For us, the worst possible thing is to not be able to save a life.”
Thiel says so far in 2022 before 2:30 a.m. Sunday, there have been 17 fire fatalities in Philadelphia. Twelve people were killed in the tragic Fairmount fire on Jan. 5 and five others have died since. These four victims bring the fire fatalities to a total of 21.
At least 312 families in Philadelphia have been displaced by fires in 2022.
Lewis Elkin Elementary has started a GoFundMe page to support the family impacted by this morning’s fire.
“They are our babies and on a Sunday we are here with the family, we are joined with them to make sure that anything is needed, that they receive,” Principal Charlotte Gillum-Maddox said.
Gillum-Maddox says the school is also partnering with the Philly fire department prevention program to ensure students have fire prevention lessons through the end of the year.
The cause of the fire is under investigation and the victims’ causes of death will be determined by the medical examiner’s office.
The fire department says more than 60 members responded to the fire.

Fatal Rowhome Fire In Kensington Claims Lives Of Father, 3 Sons; Mother Pushed Out Window To Survive​

By Jasmine PayouteApril 25, 2022 at 10:41 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A family tragedy happened in Philadelphia’s Kensington section on Sunday. A rowhome fire left a father and his three sons dead.
Crews raced to the 3200 block of Hartville Street near Allegheny Avenue early Sunday morning. They found huge flames leaping from the first and second floors.
Neighbors tell CBS3 the father killed in the fire jumped into action and ultimately saved his wife’s life.
Candles and flowers sit next to a pile of rubble and ash outside the home on Hartville Street.
The growing memorial is in memory of the father and three children who lost their lives in the fire.

“It’s something that I don’t wish on nobody,” Taina Juarve said. “Because it hurts.”
A relative said the boys were ages 4, 9 and 12.
Juarve says she went to John B. Stetson with the oldest.
“I didn’t believe it until I came outside and I seen everybody here and I seen them taking the stuff out the house, burnt,” Juarve said.
The fire broke out around 2 a.m. Sunday morning. The flames were seen shooting out of both floors of the two-story rowhouse.
The lone survivor was the boys’ mother, who neighbors say was pushed out of a window to safety by their father. The two have been inseparable since they were 13 years old.

“She had to jump the window and my son grabbed her with a blanket and she was all burned up, all burned up on her body,” a neighbor said.
For Philadelphia firefighters, battling this fire wasn’t no easy feat. From the intensity to the narrow street, they had to somehow find their way down.
“As they went inside they were able to start to knock down the fire, get in, get upstairs. They were able to put hands on one of the juveniles inside, unfortunately, it was too late,” Philadelphia fire commissioner Adam Thiel said.
Relatives tell Eyewitness News the mother was taken to Temple University Hospital and released.
Lewis Elkin Elementary School, where one of her children was in kindergarten and the other in the third grade, is determined to help.
“They are our babies,” Charlotte Gillum-Maddox, the principal at Lewis Elkin, said. “And on a Sunday, we are here with the families partnering with them to make sure that anything is needed that they receive.”
The school community has organized a fundraiser to help the family. Click here to donate.

Neighbors Grieving Loss Of 3 Boys, Father As Investigators Work To Determine Cause Of Kensington House Fire​

By Madeleine WrightApril 25, 2022 at 4:33 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A North Philadelphia community is grieving as investigators work to find out what led to a rowhome fire that killed a father and his three sons. The boys’ mother is the only person who survived the tragedy.
The fire left the Kensington home charred, windows and doors are now boarded up.
Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire.
According to the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections, the landlord did not have a license to rent the property to the family that lived there, a violation of city code.
Attempts to reach the owners were unsuccessful.
“It appears to me that because it was now under a rent-to-own situation, as the owner claims, he probably felt he was no longer responsible for obtaining a license,” Councilmember Maria Quinones Sanchez said.
Quinones Sanchez, whose district includes Kensington, says it’s part of a growing problem.
“Pre-pandemic, there were a lot of properties that had rental licenses that failed to renew and they create substandard housing conditions for many folks,” she said.
Investigators haven’t identified anything or anyone as they work to determine the cause of the fire, but a makeshift memorial is growing at the scene of the fire and a photo appears to show the family affected.

On Monday, Eyewitness News saw heartbroken neighbors lighting candles and placing them on a table with flowers, balloons and teddy bears.
A relative of the family says the three boys who died were 4, 9 and 12 years old.
The youngest two were students at the Lewis Elkin Elementary School. Grief counseling was available at the elementary school Monday morning as students cope with the loss of two of their classmates.
Eyewitness News spoke to a neighbor who paid her respects at the memorial Monday morning.
“The kids were so nice to me,” the woman said. “I seen them every day. I just moved down there about three months ago. They didn’t deserve what happened to them, you know? The dad died a hero.”
Neighbors say the boys’ mother was pushed out of a window to survive by the boys’ father. The two have reportedly been inseparable since they were 13.
“He was a good dad,” Arnaldo Marrero, who is friends with the boys’ father, said. “He loved his family and all that. He was there for his family. It breaks my heart seeing somebody go that was good.”

Family Of Mother Whose Husband, 3 Sons Killed In Kensington House Fire Speaks Out​

By Kerri CorradoApril 27, 2022 at 10:04 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — We are hearing from the uncle and cousin of the woman seriously injured in the Kensington fire tragedy. Yasmin Santana managed to escape the burning home on Hartville Street early Sunday morning.
Her husband and their three boys did not make it out alive.

Yasmin’s family says she is stable at the hospital and will need to undergo at least one more surgery. Relatives are taking shifts to make sure she is not alone and are doing everything they can to help her.
“I want to say thanks for all the people calling,” Edgar Pedraza said.
Pedraza was overcome with emotion Tuesday night as he thanked the community for their support during this difficult time for his family.
His niece, Yasmin Santana, is recovering in the hospital after a fire ripped through her Kensington home early Sunday morning.
Her husband, Alexis Arroyo-Rios and their three young boys — 12-year-old Alexangel, 9-year-old Yadriel and 5-year-old Yamalier Arroyo-Santana — died in the fire.
“Like her whole life just vanished right in front of her,” said Yasmin’s cousin, Denise Miranda-Santana. “We are hurt and I don’t think we will ever recover from this.”
The massive fire started around 2 a.m. Sunday morning on the 3200 block of Hartville Street.
The family tells Eyewitness News Yasmin’s husband saved her life, telling her to get out and escape as he ran back in to get the three boys.
“She has so much faith and trust that she knew him telling me go I’m right behind you, that’s how they were. He always had her back. When I say they were all one I mean what I say. Whenever you saw him, you saw her and the kids,” Miranda-Santana said.
As Yasmin continues to recover, her family says they will be her rock and pillar.
“She has given us spirits and like she’s crying, she’s upset, she’s sad and she doesn’t know how she is going to live her life without them,” Miranda-Santana said.
The family says they are taking this one day at a time and again they can’t thank the community enough for their support.
A vigil will be held Friday night at St. James Pentecostal Church.

Neighbors Demand Answers After Fire At Myrtle Place Apartments In Camden Leaves 9 Families Displaced​

By Jasmine PayouteMay 8, 2022 at 11:17 pm

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — Several families have lost everything after a fire on Sunday morning in Camden. The Red Cross is assisting nine families and about 24 people.
As officials investigate, neighbors say they want answers.
“I’m running out, my apartment is right here,” said Jeffrey Orbonez, who was pointing at what remains of his apartment after a fire ripped through the building. “Look at the flames, I had to run quickly because they were already coming down.”
Devastation on Mother’s Day morning, The Red Cross says its assisting nine families, which includes about 24 people, who were displaced due to a fire. An eyewitness claims the fire started on a balcony during a domestic dispute between neighbors.
Neighbors Demand Answers After Fire At Myrtle Place Apartments In Camden Leaves 9 Families Displaced
“For these mothers out here that are mothers here, Mother’s Day will not be the same because they are gonna be very hurt because right now they lost a lot of valuable things,” Orbonez said.
The fire tore through the Myrtle Place Apartments on Myrtle Avenue in Camden just before 6 a.m.
Orbonez says it was banging on the door and not a smoke detector that got him up.

73-year-old woman killed, 8 hurt in massive four-alarm NYC house fire​

By
Amanda Woods

May 10, 2022 12:44pm
Updated

Boy hangs on for dear life after falling out of Toyota SUV

A 73-year-old woman was killed and eight others hurt in a massive blaze at a Bronx home Tuesday morning, officials said.
The fire erupted in the two-story home on Valentine Avenue near East 182nd Street in Fordham Heights just after 9 a.m. and spread to two neighboring buildings, according to the FDNY.
“Units arrived within 4 minutes and found a heavy volume of fire in the rear of the occupancy,” FDNY Acting Chief of Operations Richard Blatus said at the scene. “A wind condition contributed to the spread of fire to adjoining structures.”
Firefighters battle blaze at Bronx homeOne person was killed and eight others hurt in the blaze, according to officialsCitizen Firefighters battle blaze at Bronx homeThe fire broke out just after 9 a.m. and spread to two neighboring buildingsCitizen Firefighters battle blaze at Bronx homeTwo firefighters were among the injured, officials saidCitizen
The elderly woman, who was discovered on the first floor, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to cops and fire officials. It was not immediately clear whether she lived in the home.
00:00 01:36
1_th.jpg

Her name has not been released pending family notification.

Five civilians and three firefighters also suffered minor injuries, Blatus said.

The inferno reached four alarms — calling 75 FDNY and EMS units to the scene before it was placed under control, according to Blatus.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

20-Year-Old Nakyah Barnes-Nelson Charged With Arson In Mother’s Day Apartment Fire In Camden That Left 22 Displaced​

By CBS3 StaffMay 13, 2022 at 2:00 pm

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — A 20-year-old woman was charged with arson in a Camden apartment fire that left 22 people displaced on Mother’s Day. Police say Nakyah Barnes-Nelson was charged with aggravated arson, arson recklessly placing another in danger of injury in the third-degree, one count of arson recklessly placing a building in danger of destruction in the third degree and false report to law enforcement to implicate another in the second degree.
Firefighters were called to the Myrtle Place Apartments on the 4000 block of Myrtle Avenue around 5 a.m. on Sunday. One of the two-story apartment buildings was fully engulfed in a three-alarm fire when crews arrived.
Twenty-two residents were safely evacuated and displaced from the building once the fire was brought under control.
“This fire displaced more than 20 residents from their homes and created hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage to these apartments,” Camden County Police Chief Gabriel Rodriguez said. “I want to thank our detectives who were able to bring this case home and to all of our partners who have worked to solve case, extinguish the fire and find these displaced residents’ shelter.”
Several families lost everything in the fire and the Red Cross is assisting nine families and about 24 people.
Barnes-Nelson is remanded to the Camden County Jail.

3 killed — including infant — in Bronx fire: dramatic video​

By
Tina Moore

October 30, 2022 9:24am
Updated

Two adults and an infant were killed in a Bronx fire Sunday morning, officials said.
An additional four adults were hospitalized after they were pulled out at the blaze that broke out at a home at 2165 Quimby Avenue around 6 a.m.
Dramatic video from the scene shows firefighters pulling a baby and a woman out of the building. The video shows them performing CPR on the woman and running with the baby to an ambulance.

1 of 5

Fire.
The blaze broke out at a home at 2165 Quimby Avenue around 6 a.m. Daniel Valls/Freedomnews.tv

Firefighter rescue.
Video shows firefighters performing CPR on the woman. Daniel Valls/Freedomnews.tv

Firefighter rescue.
One firefighter rushes the baby to an ambulance. Daniel Valls/Freedomnews.tv

Firefighters.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. G.N. Miller

Firefighters.
Several firefighters suffered minor injuries. G.N. Miller

The identities and relationships of those who died in the fire weren’t immediately released.

The fire was under investigation, officials said.

Several firefighters suffered minor injuries.

3 kids, young dad killed in Bronx inferno identified​

By
Kevin Sheehan and

Amanda Woods

October 31, 2022 11:01am
Updated

The three brothers and baby killed in Sunday’s Bronx blaze were identified Monday, as distraught kin noted the deaths are only the latest for the family in the past year.
Ahmed Saleh, 22, his 10-month-old daughter Barah Saleh and his younger brothers Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12, and Kalheed Waleed Ben Saleh, 10, all succumbed to their injuries after flames swept through a Quimby Avenue home in Unionport on Sunday morning, according to police and a cousin.
The little boys both died at the scene, while their older sibling and his daughter were taken to the hospital, where they did not survive, cops said.
“Terrible, terrible,” their crestfallen cousin, who did not want to be identified, repeated Monday morning, his face puffy and eyes red from wiping away tears.
At the time of the deadly blaze, the family was “having a sleepover,” the cousin said.
The brothers’ mother and her youngest boy, her only surviving child, managed to escape with the help of a neighbor.
Kalheed Waleed Ben Saleh, 10; Ahmed Saleh, 22, and Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12, were killed in the Bronx inferno. They are shown standing with a male relative (far left).Kalheed Waleed Ben Saleh, 10; Ahmed Saleh, 22, and Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12, were killed in The Bronx inferno, as was Ahmed’s baby daughter. The doomed brothers are shown standing with a male relative (far left).Facebook/Saleh Waleed
She isn’t doing well “because she just lost her father and her uncle last year,” another cousin, Issa Aldaylam, 41, said.
“So she is still living that tragedy for her father and her uncle, and now her kids, and she can do nothing with it,” he said. “That’s a big loss in the whole family – and it’s been a very tough year.”
The brothers also left behind a grieving father, Aldaylam, said.
“We just hope he [doesn’t] go after his kids with that big tragedy,” Aldaylam said. “It’s a big hit, big hit. … The [surviving] kid, Ahmed, his son, that’s it to carry his father’s name.
“For us, in our culture, you carry the family name, and we were so proud for his kids, his sons and now – big, big hit,” he continued. “What are we going to do?”
The surviving son is 4 or 5, according to Aldaylam.
Ten-month-old Barah SalehTen-month-old Barah Saleh was the youngest victim of the deadly fire at 2165 Quimby Ave. in The Bronx.
“Yes, life continues,” he said. “Always. And we always carry the name. Especially a good name.”
Neighbor Imlaque Chowhury, 30, recalled to The Post on Sunday how he helped the mom and her littlest boy escape the flames from the home that practically touches his next-door.
“[The] woman and little boy were banging on my window,” Chowhury recalled Sunday. “They were screaming, they were crying, and the black smoke was coming out behind them.
“I opened the window, and I grabbed them both and pull them inside. What else could I do? One of those kids that plays with my niece. I looked outside, and I saw the man running around. I thought that everyone had gotten out. I could have gone down, I could have helped. I could have done more. But I didn’t know. I thought everyone had gotten out.”
Neighbor Merlyn Persaue, 60, recalled the heart-wrenching scene Sunday.
“You could see their little hands banging on the windows,” Persaue said through tears of the doomed boys. “They were screaming, the children, ‘Hey Allah! Hey Allah!’ which means, ‘Help me, God! Help me, God.’
Firefighters battle the blazeMore than 100 firefighters battled the blaze that broke out Sunday morning at 2165 Quimby Ave. in The Bronx.Freedomnews.tv

“I see the hands in the windows, and then the flames wash up on the windows, and then there was no more sound,” the neighbor said.

Doorbell footage from across the street captured the children’s screams and someone frantically banging on the front door, trying to get into the home.

The blaze was likely caused by faulty electrical wiring — with investigators finding a melted computer still plugged into the wall of the room where the fire started, law enforcement sources told The Post Monday.

Bronx house fire that killed 4 likely caused by electrical malfunction: sources​

By
Joe Marino,

Larry Celona,

Nolan Hicks and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

October 31, 2022 12:20pm
Updated

Sunday’s deadly Bronx blaze was likely caused by faulty electrical wiring — with investigators finding a melted computer still plugged into the wall of the room where the fire started, law-enforcement sources told The Post on Monday.
The Quimby Avenue fire, which killed three little kids and a young dad, remains under investigation, but preliminary findings point to an electrical malfunction, sources said.
There were working smoke detectors in the home, the FDNY said.
City building records show no prior violations at the building, although firefighters found an illegal basement apartment while battling the blaze. Sources have said the deadly blaze did not originate there.
The building had been largely exempt from city inspection requirements because it is listed as a one-family home, so inspectors would not have been apt to to check for a basement unit.
The home’s converted basement included a full kitchen and bathroom fixtures that were all built without city building permits, DOB records show.
The fire also spread to an adjoining building, causing damage that included holes in the roof, forcing the city to issue a vacate order for that structure as well.
Killed in the fire were Ahmed Saleh, 22, his 10-month-old daughter, Barah, and his younger brothers, 12-year-old Mohamed Waleed Ahmed and Kalheed Ben Saleh, 10.
Four killed in Bronx blaze on Quimby Avenue Sunday.Three children and a 22-year-old father were killed in a fire in The Bronx on Sunday.Stefan Jeremiah for NY Post Ten month old Bronx fire victim Barah Saleh.Ten-month-old Barah Saleh was the youngest victim of Sunday’s blaze in The Bronx. Bronx fire victims Ahmed Saleh and his two young brothers.Kalheed Waleed Ben Saleh, 10, Ahmed Saleh, 22, and Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12, were among those killed in a fire in The Bronx. Facebook/Saleh Waleed
Horrified neighbors in the Castle Hill neighborhood recalled the trapped boys screaming for help as the flames consumed the building.
“You could see their little hands banging on the windows,” neighbor Merlyn Persaue sobbed Sunday. “They were screaming, ‘Hey Allah! Hey Allah!’ which means, ‘Help me, God! Help me God!’
“I see the hands in the windows, and then the flames wash up on the windows,” said Persaue, 60. “And then there was no more sound.”
A melted computer was found plugged into the wall in the room where the fire started, sources said.A melted computer was found plugged into the wall in the room where the fire started, sources said. The Quimby Avenue home is seen damaged after the fire was extinguished.The Quimby Avenue home is seen damaged after the fire was extinguished.
Another neighbor said he was able to help rescue the mother of the dead boys, as well as her only surviving son.

“They were screaming,” the neighbor said of the woman and one of her sons. “They were crying.”

Additional reporting by Tina Moore

Ten people injured in two separate NYC fires​

By
Dean Balsamini

December 3, 2022 10:08am
Updated

A five-alarm fire in Upper Manhattan left seven firefighters and two civilians hurt early Saturday, officials said.
The flames broke out around 1:35 a.m. in an apartment building at 617 West 141st Street, the FDNY said.
Two hundred fire and EMS personnel were needed to extinguish the blaze, which was deemed under control shortly after 6 a.m., fire officials said.
The flames broke out around 1:35 a.m. in an apartment building at 617 West 141st Street, the FDNY said.The flames broke out around 1:35 a.m. in an apartment building at 617 West 141st Street, the FDNY said.G.N.Miller/NY Post
The fire tore through the top floor and cockloft — the area between the ceiling and roof — of the six-story Hamilton Heights building. Seven residents and two firefighters suffered minor injuries, officials said.
FDNY Chief of Department John Hodgens said that seven apartments on the top floor of the building “were affected by fire” and when flames get in the cockloft, “it can quickly spread throughout the entire top floor of the building.”
First responders rushed to the scene.First responders rushed to the scene.Seth Gottfried There was reportedly extensive damage through the building.There was reportedly extensive damage through the building.Seth Gottfried Broken windows from the scene this morning.Broken windows from the scene this morning.Seth Gottfried
Hodgens said there was extensive damage throughout the building, including lower apartments that were impacted by the amount of water used by firefighters to extinguish the blaze.
The Red Cross was assisting any displaced residents, the FDNY said. The cause of the fire is under investigation, officials said.

Shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday, fire broke out on the third-floor of a six-story building at 7420 Ridge Blvd. in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, officials said. One unidentified person was taken to Kings County Hospital in critical condition, the FDNY said. The blaze, which was brought under control shortly after 2:40 a.m., is under investigation.

NYC teen with special needs found burned to death in bathtub: cops​

By
Amanda Woods

December 7, 2022 10:40am
Updated

A teenager with special needs was found burned to death in a bathtub at his Brooklyn home this week – in what has been ruled a homicide, authorities and police sources said Wednesday.
Josiah Green, 18, was discovered “with burns about the body” after cops were called to the home on Wyona Street near Pitkin Avenue in New Lots around 6:45 a.m. Sunday, the NYPD said. He was pronounced dead by EMS workers.
The teen’s father claimed his son had fallen into the bathtub two days earlier and was burned by the water, police sources said.
General view of of 283 Wyona Street, BrooklynJosiah Green, 18, was found dead in the bathtub at 283 Wyona Street, with “burns about the body.”
The dad — who called 911 on Sunday — told police that he didn’t immediately alert authorities out of fear, according to the sources.
Police said Wednesday morning that Green’s death has been ruled a homicide.

00:04 01:17
No one is in custody and cops have not identified any suspects, authorities said.

Twins killed, 4 more of their siblings hurt in fire that tore through NYC home​

By
Steven Vago,

Joe Marino and

Amanda Woods

December 23, 2022 1:37pm
Updated

Five-year-old twins were killed and four of their siblings hurt, including a pair critically, when they became trapped as a blaze tore through their Staten Island home just two days before Christmas, authorities said Friday.
The kids’ oldest sibling wept — and their mother collapsed — after arriving at the semi-attached home on Van Duzer Street near Vanderbilt Avenue in Fox Hills during the inferno, which broke out around 10:20 a.m., according to the NYPD and FDNY.
“We had presents in the basement,” said their crying eldest brother, Xavier Vanable, 26, who was at work when a cousin frantically called to tell him to get home.
His twin siblings — a 5-year-old girl and boy — died in the blaze. The little girl was pronounced dead at the scene, and her twin was rushed to Staten Island University Hospital North, where he succumbed to his injuries, police said.
“These children were joyful at the heart, and they always played around,” Vanable said. “They loved school. I always wanted them to be the best they can be.”
Vanable said his mother, who also was out of the house at the time of the fire, collapsed when she returned home.
A 5-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene, and a 6-year-old boy died at the hospital, officials said. Five-year-old twin siblings died in the fire.Courtesy/ Staten Island Advance/Maura Grunlund
FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said the mother was “in the hospital in shock but is in stable condition.
“This is an incredible tragedy,” Kavanagh told reporters at a briefing Friday.
“Upon arrival, there was heavy fire and reports of children trapped on the second floor,” he said.
FDNY Chief of Department Jack Hodgens said, “The entire second floor was engulfed in flames.”
The fire broke out at the semi-attached home on Van Duzer Street around 10:20 a.m.The fire broke out at the semi-attached home on Van Duzer Street.Courtesy/ Staten Island Advance/SILive The fire started around 10:20 a.m., authorities said.The fire started around 10:20 a.m., authorities said.Courtesy/ Staten Island Advance/SILive
All the victims, who were siblings, were found unconscious after the fire was extinguished, Hodgens said.
The injured included two more young male siblings hospitalized in critical condition, Kavanagh said. Two older siblings, a 12-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy, were stable with minor injuries.
One firefighter was also being treated for minor injuries, Kavanagh said.
A dozen FDNY units responded to the scene just over 3 minutes after they received the call.
Xavier Venable“We had presents in the basement,” eldest brother, Xavier Vanable said. Steven Vago/NY Post
“It’s an incredible tragedy. We feel it as New Yorkers,” Kavanagh said. “Our members, of course, are parents themselves. This is right before Christmas.”
Teresa Forster, a neighbor, said, “Anytime is horrible, but right before Christmas …
“Christmas will be ruined for the rest of their lives. You don’t wish that on anybody.”
Video from the scene shows clouds of smoke rising from the home and people yelling, “Go, go!” as FDNY trucks begin arriving with their sirens blaring.
The fire was placed under control about an hour later.
Seventeen-year-old Tyquan Riquelmy, who lives next door, told The Post that he and his mother were returning from a shopping trip as the firefighters arrived.
“I came back, and everything was in flames. Everyone was trying to get to the children inside,” he said while holding clothes and a box containing a lizard.
Neighbors crowd the street as the FDNY responds to the Van Duzer Street blaze. In addition to the deaths of the twin children, four other siblings were hurt, officials said. Citizen
“I saw them pull out some of the children,” he said.
“It was just so much. We were trying to help, but it was really sad and tragic to see.”
Riquelmy’s mother added, “They was good kids.
“My kids played with them. It’s sad. It’s sad.”
The cause of the blaze is under investigation, officials said.

Buffalo house fire leaves 3 kids dead just days after deadly storm devastated region​

By
Matthew Sedacca

December 31, 2022 6:32pm
Updated

A fire at a Buffalo house left three children dead and three others injured.
A fire at a Buffalo house left three children dead and three others injured. WIBV 4

Three children died and three others were hurt Saturday after a fire broke out in Buffalo — just days after a historic winter storm left dozens dead in western New York.
The victims, ages 7, 8 and 10, died after firefighters helped evacuate them from the 1.5-story, single-family home on Dartmouth Street, according to reports and authorities.
In all, six kids ranging in age from 7 months to 10 years were taken out of the home. Two remained in critical condition at the Oishei Children’s Hospital, while the infant, a girl, is in stable condition.
First responders performed life-saving procedures on five of the children in cardiac arrest on the scene and en route to the hospital, Buffalo Fire Commissioner William Renaldo told The Post.
Three of the children, all girls, were pronounced dead shortly after, Renaldo said.
One woman, who got out of the 7:30 a.m. inferno while carrying the 7-month-old and is believed to be the children’s grandmother, was intubated and is being treated at the Erie County Medical Center burn unit, the fire commissioner said.
Firefighters at the scene of the deadly blaze in Buffalo.Firefighters at the scene of the deadly blaze in Buffalo.Buffalo Fire Department-Helmets The victims, ages 7, 8 and 10, died after being evacuated from the house along with three other children by firefighters.The victims, ages 7, 8 and 10, died after being evacuated from the house along with three other children by firefighters.Buffalo Fire Department-Helmets
The cause of the fire is still being investigated, although Renaldo said it appeared to have started on the first floor of the home in the dining room area.
“The story is a tragedy but the firefighters did an amazing job, heroic job, rescuing them, getting them outside,” Renaldo said. One of the fire companies had known the family prior to the blaze, and helped get gifts and clothes for the children for Christmas, he added.
The deaths Saturday marked further hardship for Buffalo, less than a week after Winter Storm Elliott dumped four feet of snow on the region according to Fox Weather, killing at least 40 people.
Two victims are in critical condition at the Oishei Children’s Hospital.Two victims are in critical condition at the Oishei Children’s Hospital.Buffalo Fire Department-Helmets
“Our city was struck by tragedy again as 3 girls aged 7, 8 and 10 were killed in a morning fire on Dartmouth St and 2 other children and their grandmother are in critical condition,” said Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz. “My deepest condolences to the family.”
The year had taken a “heavy toll” on the city’s fire department, Renaldo said.
“It’s a real emotional time,” he said. “Between the family, the storm, and a series of other events, it’s been a really challenging time for the Buffalo Fire Department.”

Woman, 1-year-old boy hospitalized after Bronx blaze​

By
Craig McCarthy

December 16, 2022 3:16pm
Updated

A woman and a baby boy were hospitalized Friday morning following a Bronx blaze, officials said.
The fire broke out in a two-story home on Tinton Avenue near East 169th Street in Morrisania around 6:15 a.m., according to the FDNY.

1 of 6

EMS at the scene of the fire
Three others sustained injuries as a result of the fire. Seth Gottfried

The residence where the fire broke out
The fire broke out in a two-story home in Morrisania. Seth Gottfried

Advertisement

EMS at the scene of the fire
The blaze occurred around 6:15 this morning. Seth Gottfried

EMS works at an ambulance.
The infant and woman suffered smoke inhalation but are expected to survive. Seth Gottfried

Fire responders rescued the 1-year-old boy and 24-year-old woman. Both suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Lincoln Hospital, police said. They were expected to survive.

A fire spokesperson said three others suffered injuries and were hospitalized. Their condition was not immediately known.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.

Vigil marks one-year anniversary of fatal Bronx fire: ‘An emotional day’​

By
Kyle Schnitzer,

Nolan Hicks and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

January 9, 2023 2:51pm
Updated

A solemn vigil on Monday marked the first anniversary of one of the darkest days in the city’s history — the Bronx blaze at the Twin Parks high-rise that killed 17, including eight children.
Survivors and city officials gathered at the 19-story Fordham Heights building to honor the dead and rename the street 17 Abdoulie Touray Way — for the number killed and the first West African immigrant to move into the building.
“We recognize those lives on this day one year later,” Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson said at the vigil. “January 9, 2022, a day that we will forever remember [as] a dark day in the history of our community, of our borough, of our city and of our state.”
“We have found purpose from our pain,” Gibson said. “We have found strength within the storm. We may be damaged but we are not destroyed. We may be bruised, but we are not broken. We are a strong community.”
For some, however, the tragedy remains too fresh.
“I haven’t been able to move on,” 15th-floor tenant Wanda Brown said Monday.
Twin Parks tower fire.The Jan. 9, 2022 fire at Twin Parks in the Bronx left 17 dead, including eight children. [IMG alt="Mayor Eric Adams.
"]https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/01/bronx-fire-anniversary-039.jpg?w=1024[/IMG]
Mayor Eric Adams attended a closed service at a mosque near the site of the Twin Parks tower on Monday, the first anniversary of a deadly blaze at the high-rise. Stephen Yang
“The family that lived next to me passed away — those were my neighbors,” said Brown, 60. “Every day I have to pass their door to get to my door. That’s the tragic part because I always have to pass the door.
“Sometimes when I walk by, I can’t even look at it,” she added.

1 of 5

Members of the Touray family and Queen Mother Delouis Blakely (in orange) at a ceremony at the intersection in front of the Twin Parks apartment building to name the street 17 Abdoulie Touray after the first Gambian to move into the apartment building. Members of the Fordham Heights community in the Bronx gather to mourn the deaths of 17 people who died in the Twin Parks apartment building one year ago.
The fire helped add an amendment to the US Fire Adminstration Act. Stephen Yang

Members of the Fordham Heights community in the Bronx gather to mourn the deaths of 17 people who died in the Twin Parks apartment building one year ago.
Members of the Fordham Heights community in the Bronx gather to mourn the deaths of 17 people who died in the Twin Parks apartment building one year ago. Stephen Yang

Advertisement

Members of the Touray family and Queen Mother Delouis Blakely (in orange) at a ceremony at the intersection in front of the Twin Parks apartment building to name the street 17 Abdoulie Touray after the first Gambian to move into the apartment building.
Locals helped rename the street 17 Abdoulie Touray Way in honor of the victims and for the first West African immigrant to move into the complex. Stephen Yang

Advertisement

The Jan. 9, 2022, inferno was later blamed on a malfunctioning electric space heater and fire safety doors that failed to close properly.

“This was due to lack of proper affordable housing,” New York City Public Advocate Jumaane Williams said Monday. “Until we get that right, I feel we will be here again.”

Twin Parks fire on Jan. 9, 2022.Seventeen died and dozens were injured at the Twin Parks tower in the Bronx on Jan. 9, 2022, with most of those hurt or killed identified as West African immigrants. Tomas E. Gaston including eight childrenFirefighters were able to remove many people safely. G.N.Miller/NYPost bronx fire victimsAn entire family of five — Haja Dukureh, 37, husband Haji, 49, and their three children, Mustapha, 12, Mariam, 11, and Fatoumata, 5 — were killed in the fire.
Earlier on Monday, Mayor Eric Adams attended closed services at the nearby Masjid-Ur-Rahmah mosque. Most of the victims were Muslim immigrants from The Gambia and elsewhere in West Africa, authorities said.

“Today is an emotional day,” Anthony Wallace, 50, who lived in the building when the fire broke out but has since moved, told The Post on Monday. “I come by the building every now and then, but this a day to share memories.”

One survivor walked up to a group of firefighters at the scene on Monday and said simply: “Thank you for saving our lives. You are our heroes.”

Fire officials determined the fire at the 333 E. 181st St. high-rise shortly before 11 a.m. started in apartment 3N, and spewed deadly smoke throughout the building.

Mamadou Wague, who lived in the apartment with his family, later told The Post that he believed he pushed the door open too far when he fled, which caused the self-closing door to jam open.

Jan. 9, 2022, Twin Parks fire.The six-alarm fire at Twin Parks tower in the Bronx on Jan. 9, 2022, was one of the deadliest in the city’s history, leaving 17 dead, with eight children among them.AP
According to the official fire department report on the fatal fire, at least two stairwell doors were also left open, further spreading the smoke throughout the 120-unit building.

“As occupants evacuated the fire apartment, 3N, the door to the fire apartment was not closed, allowing smoke to travel uninhibited throughout the third-floor hallway,” the 230-page FDNY report, completed in September, determined.

“All 17 fatalities either evacuated their apartment into the public halls or attempted to evacuate, hereby opening their living space to the smoke inside the public hallway.”

Jan. 9, 2022, fatal fire at Twin Parks tower in the Bronx. The deadly Jan. 9, 2022, fire at Twin Parks tower in the Bronx started when an electric space heater malfunctioned in apartment 3N, FDNY investigators determined. bronx fire apartmentThe building was severely damaged from the blaze.

The Bronx blaze was among the deadly incidents that helped to inspire an amendment to the US Fire Administration Act in December, which gives federal fire investigators more authority to investigate the cause of local fires.

The federal fire agency also announced it would mark the anniversary of the Bronx blaze.

9-year-old NYC girl dies in Brooklyn blaze​

By
Craig McCarthy

January 13, 2023 5:53pm
Updated

A 9-year-old girl — who loved ones called a “burst of energy” — died Friday after a fire tore through her home in Brownsville, according to her family and authorities.
The three-alarm blaze broke out inside her family’s three-story home on Howard Avenue in Brownsville just before 5:30 a.m., according to the FDNY.
Little Payton Thompson was found by first responders unconscious inside the home on third flood and was rushed to Brookdale Hospital — but she could not be saved, according to police and her family.
“We remember Payton as a loving, energetic, burst of energy,” Drellj Melton wrote in an online fundraiser for the family to help cover funeral services.
“She shared her light with everyone she came in contact with. Payton had a love for jewelry, an obsession with her baby sister Lauryn and never hesitated to praise the lord.”

1 of 5

Thompson was 9 years old.
Payton Thompson died Friday after a fire tore through her home in Brownsville. Family photo via ABC7

BROOKLYN FIRE
Thompson was found by first responders unconscious inside the home on third flood and was rushed to Brookdale Hospital. Seth Gottfried

Advertisement

BROOKLYN FIRE
The three-alarm blaze broke out inside her family’s three-story home on Howard Avenue in Brownsville just before 5:30 a.m. Seth Gottfried

Advertisement

BROOKLYN FIREFamily members inside the home were sleeping when the fire started.Seth Gottfried
Her uncle, Joseph Thompson, told WABC-TV that “the smoke had took over her body, surrounded her heart and so she didn’t make it.”

The station said ten family members were sleeping inside when the blaze started.

Thompson said the family has deep roots in the church. “My mother is a pastor of a church, she’s the pastor and I’m the assistant pastor, it’s called Faith Tabernacle of Deliverance,” Thompson told the station..

BROOKLYN FIREThe cause of the fire remains under investigation.Seth Gottfried FDNY officials said nearly 140 firefighters responded to the blaze that was put under control just before 7:30 a.m.The station said ten family members were sleeping inside when the blaze started. Family photo via ABC7
The cause of the fire remained under investigation Friday evening, but FDNY Deputy Chief James Carney described it as “fast-moving.”

“When we arrived there was heavy fire on the second floor,” he said.

FDNY officials said nearly 140 firefighters responded to the blaze that was put under control just before 7:30 a.m.

One firefighter also suffered minor injuries in the blaze.

Boy, 13, killed in NYC apartment building blaze: officials​

By
Amanda Woods

January 23, 2023 10:09am
Updated

Brooklyn apartment fire
13-year-old Dillon Waldren-Dickson was killed in an apartment building fire in East Flatbush around 10:30 Sunday morning, cops said. Citizen

A 13-year-old boy was killed in a fire that erupted inside his Brooklyn apartment building Sunday, officials said.
The teen, Dillon Waldren-Dickson, was found gravely injured inside the seven-story building on Snyder Avenue near East 25th Street in East Flatbush following the blaze that broke out on the fifth floor around 10:30 a.m., according to the NYPD and FDNY.
He was rushed to the Kings County Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.
A 50-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man also injured in the fire were taken to the same hospital, where they were listed in stable condition.
Brooklyn apartment fireThe teen was pronounced dead at the Kings County Hospital Center.Citizen
Brooklyn apartment fireTwo other victims are listed in stable condition at the hospital.Citizen
The relationships between the victims were not immediately known.
A firefighter suffered serious injuries, and two other firefighters sustained minor injuries, the FDNY said.
Twenty-five FDNY units, including 106 firefighters, responded to the scene.

The fire was placed under control around 11:40 a.m., the FDNY said.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation Monday morning.

18 kids injured, one seriously, after fire breaks out at illegal NYC daycare​

By
Larry Celona and

Patrick Reilly

January 25, 2023 9:01pm
Updated

A fire broke out in a Queens home operating as an illegal daycare center on Wednesday, sending one child to the hospital in serious condition and injuring 17 other kids, officials and sources said.
A lithium-ion battery from an electric scooter is believed to have caused a fire in the basement of the two-story home at 147-07 72nd Drive in Kew Gardens Hills just after 2 p.m., FDNY officials and sources said.
One child was transported to Cornell Hospital in serious condition for smoke inhalation, FDNY and sources said.
The other 17 children were in stable condition and “refused medical attention on the scene,” according to FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Stacy Scanlon.
Officials have not released the victims’ ages.

Queens daycare fireEighteen children were injured after a fire broke out in the basement of a home in Queens.Peter Gerber Queens daycare fireA lithium-ion battery caused a fire in the basement of the two-story home.Peter Gerber

1 of 6

IMG_2924.jpg
One child was hospitalized for smoke inhalation, officials said. Peter Gerber

IMG_2932.jpg
FDNY said they received a call for a basement fire shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday. Peter Gerber

Advertisement

IMG_2872.jpg
Firefighters put out the flames in about 40 minutes. Peter Gerber

IMG_2927.jpg
60 FDNY and EMS personnel responded to the scene. Peter Gerber

“Companies arrived and found heavy fire in the basement. Firefighters removed some pediatric patients from the building, including one from the fire area in the basement. The fire was under control within 40 minutes and was confined to the basement,” said FDNY Chief of Operations John Esposito.

Roughly 60 fire and EMS personnel responded to the scene, according to FDNY.

Both a day care center and a dentist’s officer operated from the basement of the building, according to sources.

Fire Marshalls are investigating, FDNY said.

The Department of Buildings boarded up the home and the Red Cross is providing shelter to residents, sources said. No arrests were made but the city did issue citations for building violations.

Back