-88-

Registered
_41395520_dogan_met_250.jpg

Ismail Dogan

02006091009007ec.jpg

Ernest Meads
image from temp link

Man guilty of trying to kill five

A paranoid schizophrenic has been found guilty of attempting to kill five people during a stabbing rampage.
Ismail Dogan, 30, of Tottenham, north London, had already admitted the manslaughter of Ernest Meads on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

He denied five attempted murder charges because his lawyers claimed his ill health meant he could not form intent.

An Old Bailey judge committed Dogan to Broadmoor Special Hospital indefinitely over the attacks in December 2004.

Passing sentence, the Common Serjeant of London
Brian Barker told Dogan: "I am not in a position to apportion blame, but it is the greatest sadness you stopped taking your medication and the warnings were not quickly heeded."

The court heard during the trial that Dogan's mother had asked for her family doctor to visit their home.

The defendant had stopped taking his medication and in the run-up to the attacks had begun talking to himself and behaving oddly.

But the doctor refused, saying Dogan should visit the surgery.

At an earlier hearing Dogan admitted stabbing Mr Meads, 58, a father-of two, seven times, in Meridian Way, Edmonton.

The other five attacks took place within a six-mile radius between 0800 GMT and 0900 GMT on 23 December 2004.

Inquiry call

After the verdict, two of
Dogan's victims, Roger Levy, 49, and Victoria Cann, 30, said they felt no resentment towards their attacker.

They and another victim David Symes, 31, said in statements that their thoughts were with the families of Mr Meads and the defendant.

nMs Cann and Mr Symes called for an inquiry into how the attacks were able to take place.

Ms Cann said: "What happened to me and five other people on 23rd December 2004 was very shocking and it has certainly changed my life forever.

"What I think this court has illustrated is that there are a number of outstanding questions regarding the level of care and treatment that Mr Dogan and his family received in the run-up to these events."

Dogan also attacked Raymond Day, 76, and Jeffrey Arthur, 50.

The local mental health trust said it would carry out a review of the case.

Back