UPDATE - KILLER HAS BEEN FREED. "JUSTICE WORKED" -- Colored boy, 12, charged as adult with murder in fatal stabbing of white boy, 9 in Kentwood, MI

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://www.freep.com/article/20140805/NEWS06/308050063/Michigan-Kentwood-playground-stabbing

Boy, 12, charged as adult with murder in fatal stabbing of 9-year-old
9:37 PM, August 5, 2014

bilde

Michael Conner Verkerke was stabbed repeatedly in the back at a playground in Kentwood in west Michigan. / Family photo

KENTWOOD — Two boys. Neither old enough to call himself a teenager.

One — just 9 — mortally wounded, running home where he collapses bleeding on the front porch.

The other — just a few years older at 12 — calmly walking from the playground to a nearby house where he asks to use the phone, calls police and tells them he just stabbed the other boy.

That was the chilling scene that played out Monday evening in the Grand Rapids suburb of Kentwood, according to police and neighbors.

Michael Conner Verkerke died at a hospital after he was stabbed repeatedly in the back on the playground at the Pinebrook Village mobile home park, police said.

His accused assailant, Jamarion Lawhorn, pleaded not guilty Tuesday afternoon in Kent County Family Court to an open murder charge. The Free Press is identifying the minor because he is being charged as an adult.

Assistant Kent County Prosecutor Laura Clifton said via e-mail Tuesday evening that Lawhorn is being held without bond. She said he will be tried in the same manner as an adult in the court’s Family Division and will have an adult record if convicted.

“This charging route was taken because if a juvenile is charged as a juvenile in juvenile court, the judge would have no option but to discharge at the age of 21,” she said.

Clifton said he was charged with open murder via a prosecutor’s designation, which will allow for a blended sentence if he’s convicted.

“For example, a juvenile can have a juvenile disposition, the term used for a juvenile sentence, but also have an adult sentence that is delayed — basically held in abeyance,” Clifton said.

Clifton said a juvenile cannot be automatically waived to adult court unless he or she is 14 years of age.

If Lawhorn is convicted, the case will be reviewed every three months by a family court judge, Clifton said. The judge would have the opportunity to impose an adult sentence at any time.

However, if the adult sentence isn’t imposed by the time he turns 21, the judge must review the case then to make the final determination either to discharge him from court supervision or impose an adult sentence.

Neighbors say Conner, as he was called, ran screaming to his home and collapsed bleeding on his porch. He died later at a hospital Monday evening.

The 12-year-old boy was taken to the Kent County Juvenile Detention Center.

Witnesses told investigators that four children were playing when one of them, for unknown reasons, pulled a knife and stabbed Conner.

http://woodtv.com/2014/08/04/witness-child-admitted-to-stabbing/

jamarion-lawhorn.jpg

(Undated courtesy photo of Jamarion Lawhorn.)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://fox17online.com/2014/08/05/neighbor-of-12-year-old-murder-suspect-no-surprise-over-arrest/

Video at link

Neighbor of 12-year-old murder suspect says ‘no surprise’ over arrest
Updated at 05:27am, August 6, 2014

KENTWOOD, Mich. — A neighbor of Jamarion Lawhorn tells FOX 17 that he always had a strange feeling about the boy.

“Damn it, that’s him,” said the neighbor, who did not want his name used and would not appear on camera. “Sad, but to tell you the truth, no surprise.”

The neighbor said that he would try to talk to Lawhorn when he would pass by his house, but the 12-year-old never responded.

“See him on almost a daily basis this time of year and comes down this sidewalk just about everyday,” said the neighbor. “He’s the first one that came to mind. However, you can’t point fingers, and I know the neighborhood fairly well. We’ve lived here for several years, and it’s very unfortunate.”

Lawhorn is charged as an adult for the stabbing death of 9-year-old Conner Verkerke. Investigators said that Lawhorn attacked Verkerke with a steak knife near the playground at Pinebrook Village Mobile Home Park at about 6 p.m. on Monday.

Lawhorn’s neighbor also said that he’d keep an eye on his property, because of the strange feeling he got from the 12-year-old.

“I’ve got equipment in the house here. I’ve got the garage open. He seemed to have big eyes, you know what I’m saying. Like, you kind of felt like you wanted to watch your back.”

Kent County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Laura Clifton told FOX 17 that she has never prosecuted someone as young as Lawhorn for murder.

Investigators said that it doesn’t appear that Lawhorn and Verkerke knew each other.

GD niggers!!! This nigger should be strung up and I could not care less about it's damn age!!! I am waiting for the nigger to say the white kid called him a nigger so that was why he stabbed him!! Damn I am sick of niggers killing whites!!!!!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/08...d-boy-accused-of-murder-wanted-to-go-to-jail/

Document: 12-Year-Old Boy Accused Of Playground Murder Wanted To Go To Jail
August 8, 2014 9:30 PM

GRAND RAPIDS (WWJ/AP) – A 12-year-old boy accused of fatally stabbing a 9-year-old boy on a western Michigan playground told authorities he wanted to go to jail and did not know the victim, according to a court document filed Friday.

The delinquency petition filed in Kent County Circuit Court said 12-year-old Jamarion Lawhorn told investigators he’s “bad and always does stupid things.” He added he thought he’d be killed “for doing something like this,” according to The Grand Rapids Press.

Lawhorn said he didn’t know how many times he stabbed Michael Connor Verkerke at the Pinewood Village Mobile Home Park in Kentwood, near Grand Rapids. He initially said he wasn’t concerned for the victim, then said he was concerned because “it made him feel stupid,” an investigator wrote.

Lawhorn also told police he would get mocked at school for getting in trouble, and be called “dumb” and “black.”

Jew press pushes grief stricken white parents to "forgive" young nigger killer of their precious 9 yr old son. Why must we forgive nigger murderers? We should hang them and never forgive them!!!!!

http://fox17online.com/2014/09/20/connor-verkerkes-parents-speak-out-about-the-loss-of-their-9-year-old/comment-page-1/#comment-461295
video at link comment section open so let them have it!!

Connor Verkerke’s parents speak out about the loss of their 9-year-old

WYOMING, Mich.—Connor Verkerke, a 9-year-old boy who was stabbed to death on a playground right by his home at Pinebrook Mobile Home Park on August 4, was honored throughout the weekend. It’s a loss that shook the community, and left his family mourning the loss of their oldest son.

This weekend, two fundraisers were held in Connor’s memory and in support of his family. One was held Friday at Kelloggsville Middle School and the other on Saturday at the high school.

For the first time, the family opened up to Fox 17 News about their memories of Connor and how they plan to move forward.

Forgiveness is a word that Jared and Dani Verkerke still struggle with every single second of every single day.

“It depends on the day if we feel forgiveness. We are still on a roller coaster of emotion with everything else. So some days, yes we feel like forgiving and some days not so much,” said Dani Verkerke, Connor’s mother.

Aside from forgiveness, coming to events that honor Connor touch their hearts but also brings back memories of watching their own son slip away.

“It’s a constant reminder of what happened to us, and constantly having to relive it,” said Jared Verkerke, Connor’s father.

Dani and Jared’s loss of their first born isn’t a pain that they ever expect to heal.

“It’s just all the things I still wanted to experience with him. When he turned 9 years old I kind of freaked out because I realized I only had 9 more years left to do all the things I wanted to do with him. Now I know I didn’t even have that much time,” said Dani.

The time they thought they had with Connor was lost at Pinebrook Village Mobile Park playground when police say Jamarion Lawhorn, only 12-years-old, stabbed Connor multiple times. Connor’s brother, Cameron, was there and watched as his older brother was brutally stabbed, and then tried to fight for his life.

“Cameron’s birthday was really hard. He said that he felt like this was going to be his worse birthday ever, because Connor was always at his birthdays, so he’s having a rough time,” said Dani.

Dani Verkerke says she’s returned to the playground only once since the incident upon Cameron’s request.

“Cameron felt he had to go back to the playground once to kind of show me everything, and I allowed him to do that. I could just see the whole thing as he was telling me about it,” said Dani.

For Jared, the memories of trying to stop his son from bleeding out haunt him day in and day out.

“He just kept trying to tell me that he loved me, and was trying to hold my hand,” said Jared.

Dani Verkerke can still hear Connor’s last word playing over and over in her head.

“The last thing I heard him say before going into the ambulance was ‘Mama’,” said Dani.

Dani and Jared are now advocates for change within Child Protective Services, which they say needs a lot of work. They say they emphasize with kids like Jamarion, who according to court documents, endured abuse years prior to the incident.

“I think ultimately Jamarion is responsible for his own actions. No one forced him to do what he did. It just hurts to know that a year before this happened something could have been done to maybe save him as well,” said Dani.

Forgiving is something they say they will continue to try to do, along with getting used to the fact the one of their boys is never coming home.

“That’s the hardest part. When we get off and do things as a family, knowing that there’s supposed to be four boys. That’s what’s really hard to do,” said Dani.

The Verkerke’s say a lot of people have been asking where the donations are going for these fundraising events honoring Connor. Right now more of the funds are going toward therapy sessions for the family.

September 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM Reply
Aaron Krenz

I could never forgive that monster who PLANNED to kill someone and did just that. I am sick about hearing about his “problems”.. his victim had problems too as does everyone and is now DEAD. You do not have to forgive to push anger and hate away. Frankly, if it was me, they would find that little monkey in a ditch
September 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM Reply

Zigamn Frued

Imagine the consequences if this criminal had made the adult determination to sexually assault grown men in public restrooms.
September 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM Reply
Gman

Bravo!! My thoughts exactly!!!
Gman

September 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Open comment section. Put in a false name and email if you wish!

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...e+Grand+Rapids+Press+Latest+News+|+MLive.com)

12-year-old murder suspect's mother accused of welfare fraud

17253939-large.jpg

updated March 13, 2015 at 4:15 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The problems for Anita Lawhorn just keep coming.

Her 12-year-old son is the youngest person ever charged with murder in Kent County, her other children have been removed from her home following charges of child abuse and now she is charged with welfare fraud of more than $500.

Lawhorn turned herself in at Grand Rapids District Court Friday, March 13, where she was arraigned on the two charges that carry a maximum sentence of four years in prison.

According to the state, she defrauded the government of more than $88,500.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...e+Grand+Rapids+Press+Latest+News+|+MLive.com)

13-year-old convicted in playground murder of boy, 9

-86733228687890bb.JPG

updated September 04, 2015 at 4:56 PM

UPDATE: With video of parents of murderer and victim.

'Prison is the answer,' 9-year-old playground murder victim's parents say after verdict
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/09/this_is_for_connor_9-year-old.html

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A year after 12-year-old Jamarion Lawhorn executed a bizarre suicide scheme where he would kill another child so that he would be executed for the slaying, a jury has found him guilty of murder.

At 13, the boy will be the youngest convicted murderer in West Michigan.

After more than four hours of deliberation Friday, Sept. 4, the jury comprised of seven men and five women found Jamarion guilty of first-degree murder in the Aug. 4, 2014, stabbing death of 9-year-old Connor Verkerke as they played on a Kentwood playground

Kent County teen convicted of murder as a 12-year-old now a free man​

The Kent County Prosecutor says the juvenile system worked as designed to offer Jamarion Lawhorn treatment and the opportunity to return to public life.

N jamarion.png

Author: 13 ON YOUR SIDE Staff, Andrea Flores

Published: 5:10 PM EST January 6, 2022

Updated: 11:39 PM EST January 6, 2022

Facebook

KENT COUNTY, Mich. — Kent County’s youngest convicted killer is now a free man.

Jamarion Lawhorn was 12 years old when he fatally stabbed 9-year-old Connor Verkerke on a playground in Kentwood back in 2014.

Lawhorn had been held at Evart Youth Academy, formerly the Muskegon River Youth Home, since his conviction. That's where he's been said to have made strides in his education and counseling to take responsibility for his actions.

Last year, he was granted the opportunity to move into a private home as he transitions back to society.

Now, he's two months shy of his 20th birthday and he has successfully completed his probation and is no longer under supervision.

"We unfortunately don't see enough success stories like that," Kent County Prosecutor Chris Becker says. "We don't see this very often in terms of somebody who's done so well as he has, from an absolute tragic situation, to have somebody come through this and really seem to be a tremendously better person."

He says this is the goal of the juvenile detention system.

"The juvenile system is designed, hopefully, for treatment to get these kids to not commit crimes and be in a better position in society. So yes, this is that's what this is designed to do...trying to rehabilitate, whether it be from an extreme, extraordinarily bad crime, or your run-of-the-mill retail fraud," Kent County Prosecutor Chris Becker said. "We want to prevent that behavior from continuing on, especially when they get to the adult system. So this is how ideally, it would kind of work."

"Overall, I think justice was done," Criminal Defense Attorney Charles Boekeloo says.

He was Jamarion's defense attorney in the murder trial, and at the time, he says he was struck by both his age and what he had went through.

"In this case, Jamarion's family can lead to tragic results, we need to focus on that too," he says.

Both Jamarion's mother and step father were convicted of child abuse. Becker says the adoption of Jamarion by the Creswell family was huge for his rehabilitation.

"I don't think I can think of a case where somebody has just been on their own, you know, without somebody a strong figure to really, you know, grab their hand figuratively, and kind of help them through the process," he says."
vi_logo.svg

Jamarion's release from supervision comes about one year earlier than expected.

Back