VIDEO: 73-Year-Old Man Dies After Group Of 7 Teens Brutally Attack Him In North Philadelphia

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

VIDEO: 73-Year-Old Man Dies After Group Of 7 Teens Brutally Attack Him In North Philadelphia​

By CBS3 StaffJuly 8, 2022 at 4:34 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police are searching for a group of seven teenage suspects who brutally beat a 73-year-old man with a cone and other objects in North Philadelphia last month, knocking the man to the ground and causing head injuries.
Police identified the victim Friday as James Lambert, who died from injuries the following day.
The incident happened June 24 around 2:45 a.m. on the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue.
Lambert was by himself only a few blocks away from his home when he was surrounded by seven teenagers and attacked from behind. Police say they believe the man did nothing to provoke the assault.
“It’s horrible, it’s a horrific occurrence,” Philadelphia Police Capt. Jason Smith said.
Lambert was rushed to Temple University Hospital after the attack and died the following day.
Police say they’re looking for a group of seven juveniles between the ages of 13 years old and 17 years old. The suspects consist of four boys and three girls. The suspects are unknown to investigators.
Police released surveillance video of the incident on Friday.

The surveillance video shows the teens following Lambert when one of the boys picks up a traffic cone and hurls it at him. Lambert is knocked to the ground and tries to get away before he gets hit a second time by a young girl.
Police say two of the teens attacked Lambert as the others watched.
“Mr. Lambert proceeds to get up and he’s attempting to walk away from the group again, and at that time, you can see a female strike Mr. Lambert in the back with a construction cone,” Smith said.
After the attack, you can see one boy hop on a scooter. Another boy has a unique patch of blonde hair that police are hoping you may recognize.
“I think a curfew, yes, could have absolutely prevented this from occurring,” Smith said, “but again, there has to be parent involvement.”
Smith says the final decision on charges will be up to the District Attorney’s Office.
Detectives say surveillance video shows one of the teen suspects had their phone out during the assault, but they haven’t seen any video posted on social media.
Police say they’re looking into the possibility the teen suspects could be linked to other assaults in the neighborhood.
“We are looking into that possibility whether those teens are involved in other assaults occurring in the area,” Smith said. “I can’t be more specific than that. At this point in time, no suspects have been developed and we are asking for the public’s assistance in helping us identify those seven juveniles who were present during the incident.”
Investigators are calling on the teens’ parents to turn their children in.
Police are offering a $20,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.
If anyone has any information regarding the incident, police are asking them to contact them.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...mbert-beating-brothers-turn-selves-in-police/

2 Juvenile Brothers Wanted In Connection To The Fatal Beating Of 73-Year-Old James Lambert Turn Selves In: Police​

By Matt PetrilloJuly 11, 2022 at 6:45 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Police say two brothers — ages 10 and 14 — have turned themselves in to police in connection to the brutal beating of a 73-year-old man that was captured on camera in North Philadelphia. James Lambert later died from his injuries.

Eyewitness News was outside Philadelphia Police headquarters as two young brothers turned themselves in to authorities around 4 p.m Monday.
Police confirm the brothers are just 10 and 14 years old and were among seven juveniles captured on camera in a violent attack that happened last month in North Philadelphia.
Investigators are still working to identify some of the teens seen in that hard-to-watch security video.
Some are seen using a traffic cone to brutally beat 73-year-old James Lambert of North Philadelphia. Police say the assault happened on June 24. Lambert died the next day.
It’s not clear what the roles were of the two brothers who walked into police headquarters.
“This is a very, very active investigation. Things are happening hour by hour,” District Attorney Larry Krasner said.
Krasner talked with Eyewitness News in a one-on-one interview.
Does he expect to charge any of those teens with murder?
“Certainly on the very limited information we have it seems very likely, yes,” Krasner said.
The grieving family of the 73-year-old victim talked with Eyewitness News over the weekend, urging each of the teens and their parents involved in the incident to do the right thing.

14-Year-Old Boy To Be Charged With 3rd-Degree Murder In Connection To Fatal Beating Of 73-Year-Old Man: Sources​

By CBS3 StaffJuly 12, 2022 at 12:02 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Sources close to the investigation tell CBS3 a 14-year-old boy is being processed on charges of third-degree murder and conspiracy in connection to the brutal beating of a 73-year-old man that was captured on camera in North Philadelphia. James Lambert later died from his injuries.

Eyewitness News cameras were there at Philadelphia police headquarters as two young brothers — ages 10 and 14 — turned themselves in to authorities around 4 p.m Monday.
The 10-year-old has since been released, sources say.
Police confirm the brothers were among seven juveniles captured on camera in a violent attack that happened last month in North Philadelphia.
Investigators are still working to identify some of the teens seen in that hard-to-watch security video.
Surveillance video shows the group of four males and three females taunting and striking Lambert with a traffic cone along the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue in North Philadelphia. Lambert died the next day from injuries to his head.
It’s not clear what the roles were of the two brothers who walked into police headquarters.
Officials say they have been in touch with some, but not all, of those seen assaulting Lambert. Police say they are expecting others seen in the video to also turn themselves in.
“This is a very, very active investigation. Things are happening hour by hour,” commie joo District Attorney Larry Krasner said.
Krasner talked with Eyewitness News in a one-on-one interview.
Does he expect to charge any of those teens with murder?
“Certainly on the very limited information we have it seems very likely, yes,” Krasner said.
The attack happened around 2:30 a.m. just a week before the city’s curfew ordinance, prompting questions about their parents’ responsibility.
“We all have a role to play as parents and one of the roles is to try to encourage and push our kids to do things that make sense,” Krasner said.
The grieving family of the 73-year-old victim talked with Eyewitness News over the weekend, urging each of the teens and their parents involved in the incident to do the right thing.
“Let them turn themself in, turn yourself in. How could you let us suffer like this? You took him away from us,” said Elsie Stephens, the victim’s sister.

14-Year-Old Charged As Adult With 3rd-Degree Murder In Connection To Fatal Beating Of 73-Year-Old Man: Police​

By CBS3 StaffJuly 13, 2022 at 8:44 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A 14-year-old boy who turned himself in to police Monday in connection with the beating death of a 73-year-old man in North Philadelphia has been charged as an adult with third-degree murder and criminal conspiracy. He lived just blocks from the attack.
Security video shows who police say is a teen boy holding a traffic cone winding back before he strikes an elderly man from behind.
Police say the boy in the video is 14-year-old Richard Jones. He turned himself in to authorities with his younger brother Monday. Jones is being charged as an adult with third-degree murder and conspiracy in connection with the victim’s death.

A source tells Eyewitness News that 14-year-old Jones had his 10-year-old brother with him at the time of the incident in the early morning hours of June 24. Police confirmed that the brothers were questioned on Monday, but the 10-year-old was later released. Police haven’t yet said why.
The attack happened June 24 around 2:30 a.m. on the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue. Surveillance video shows the group of four males and three females taunting and striking 73-year-old James Lambert with a traffic cone. Lambert died the next day from injuries to his head.
Jones’ attorney asked the magistrate judge for leniency. The attorney says Jones just recently graduated middle school and cited that he did not have a prior criminal record or any school disciplinary actions, adding that some sort of altercation happened prior to what was seen on video released by police.
Family and friends of Jones refused to comment to Eyewitness News as they walked out of the Criminal Justice Center on Tuesday night moments after Jones appeared before a judge.
In court, Jones’ attorney admitted her client threw a cone at Lambert, but that it hit the 73-year-old in the shoulder.
His attorney also claimed that it followed an altercation with the victim that was not seen on camera as the group of juveniles was leaving a rec center along the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore after playing basketball. She also says a girl also seen in the video threw the cone that struck the victim in his head. Lambert died the day after the attack.
Jones’s attorney did not answer Eyewitness News’s questions, but in court, she told the judge her client had won a community service award, played football and worked as a summer camp teacher. She asked for him to be released to his family.
The judge refused and set bail at $750,000.
Jones is being held at a juvenile center until his preliminary hearing, which is scheduled for July 26.
Crime scene tape is still left behind where the attack happened before Lambert’s life was taken from him and just across the street from a community garden where volunteers give back. They provide free food to this underserved neighborhood.
It’s a much different scene than what happened nearby late last month.
“When I saw that video my jaw dropped, my heart sunk,” Sanctuary Farm Executive Director Andrea Vettori said. “And you just have to wonder, why?”
Police sources tell Eyewitness News a girl that was involved in the attack is expected to turn herself in on Wednesday morning.
The city is offering a $20,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the case.

14-year-old Richard Jones
F17410DF846386AA7096C92C25D28B93.jpg

Police: Boy, 14, charged with murder after 73-year-old man beaten to death with traffic cone​

By FOX 29 Staff

Published July 12, 2022 3:38PM

Updated 10:13PM

PHILADELPHIA - A 14-year-old boy is facing a murder charge after police say a 73-year-old man was beaten and killed by a group of juveniles in North Philadelphia last month.

James Lambert Jr. [BLACK per video] was walking on the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue when he was brutally attacked around 2:30 a.m. on June 24.

Several juveniles were seen in surveillance footage surrounding and recording the 73-year-old man as some group members hit him in the head with a traffic cone.

Police say Lambert was knocked to the ground and later died from blunt force trauma to the head. His death was ruled a homicide.
More than two weeks later, two brothers turned themselves into authorities in connection to the deadly attack. A 14-year-old, identified as Richard Jones, has been charged as an adult with murder and criminal conspiracy after police say he was the first to hit the man with a cone.

His 10-year-old brother was reportedly released after not being charged with crime.

Police also say they have identified a third female suspect, who is seen striking the victim at least three times in surveillance video. She may have hit him a fourth time off camera, according to police.

12048514_071322lambertportraitfull.jpg

portrait of James Lambert, Jr.

Officer creates portrait of 73-year-old man killed in North Philly attack​

The portrait shows the man friends and family affectionately called "Simmie" wearing a suit with a red tie and a cap.

By 6abc Digital Staff and Katherine Scott
Wednesday, July 13, 2022 5:41AM

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- A forensic artist with the Philadelphia Police Department, known for creating portraits of fallen officers, is remembering a 73-year-old resident who was murdered while out for an early morning walk.

Officer Jonny Castro shared his portrait of James Lambert, Jr. to his social pages on Tuesday afternoon.

The portrait shows the man's friends and family affectionately called "Simmie" wearing a suit with a red tie, red handkerchief and a cap.

"Even in his 70's, he took a great amount of pride in his appearance. His niece said James still dressed with style each and every day," Castro wrote.
Fourteen-year-old Richard Jones, who turned himself in to police, has been charged as an adult in Lambert's killing.

Police say Jones has been charged with murder and criminal conspiracy.

The teenager has been identified by authorities as one of the seven juveniles seen on surveillance attacking Lambert around 2:38 a.m. on Friday, June 24 on the 2100 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue in North Philadelphia.

The children were seen striking Lambert multiple times with a construction cone.

"At one point he tried to get up to run away but they continued their assault. Surveillance video captured the teens smiling and laughing as they pummeled the elderly man," Castro said.

Lambert died from his injuries the next day.

Jones surrendered on Monday, along with a 10-year-old child who was later released. A 14-year-old girl is also expected to turn herself in.

In his post, Castro said Lambert was a lifelong resident of Philadelphia. The walk he was taking was one he did regularly for the last 60 years of his life, the officer said.

"He was at his 85-year-old sister's house for dinner just hours before the violent attack, and would regularly visit his family members who all still live in the area," Castro said.

Elsie Stephens, the victim's sister, told Action News earlier this week she is struggling to comprehend what happened.

"When my parents died I raised my brothers and sisters. It's so sad he lived that long and these kids would take his life and beat him like he was nothing in the street," Elsie Stephens said. "He was trying to get away from them and they ran behind him and beat him like he was nothing."

Lambert's niece, Rochelle Stephens, said the hardest part was telling her grandson that Uncle Simmie didn't make it.

"He kept saying, 'He's going to be alright. Uncle Simmie is coming home. He's going to be OK,'" Rochelle Stephens said. "And for my 3-year-old grandson to understand that now he is never coming back, he holds onto the funeral card and says, 'They took my uncle.'"

Last edited:

14-Year-Old Girl Charged With 3rd-Degree Murder In Connection To Beating Death Of James Lambert In North Philadelphia​

By CBS3 StaffJuly 14, 2022 at 6:33 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A 14-year-old girl has been charged with third-degree murder and conspiracy in connection to the beating death of 73-year-old James Lambert in North Philadelphia. The girl, whose name has not been released, turned herself in to police Wednesday morning.
The girl was among several juveniles caught on camera during the attack that involved a traffic cone being used to beat Lambert. He died the day after the attack.
The 14-year-old girl turned herself in to the police alongside her attorney and mother just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Her attorney only identified her by the initials GM, but he said she will be charged with third-degree murder as an adult.
“My client is 14 years of age, just turned 14, so I would just ask that everybody hold judgment,” defense attorney Lonny Fish said.
Fish is the 14-year-old girl’s attorney. He believes she is not a danger to the public.
“This is a bigger issue, not just small,” Fish said. “To lock up these children for a long period of time, do you think that will fix the problem that we have? I would say it’s not. My goal is to keep her in a juvenile system, in a school. No questions asked. Right now, she’ll be charged as an adult statutory, that’s the law. She’s being charged with murder in the third degree, conspiracy and I’m assuming possession of an instrument of crime.”
He adds her bail is expected to be set either Wednesday night or Thursday.
Also Wednesday, a 13-year-old girl turned herself in but was later released from police custody and was not charged. She turned herself in with her mom, attorney and other relatives shielding her.
Her attorney said a warrant was issued for her on third-degree murder charges, but she has since walked out of police custody and the Philadelphia district attorney says she is not being charged.
“I understand that this is a very serious situation and that these children have to be punished because they did something wrong, but not all of them are the same,” attorney Donte Mills said.
He says the girl tried to do the right thing, adding she called 911 and waited with Lambert until medics arrived.
“My client tried to prevent the group from doing that,” Mills said. “Mr. Lambert interacted with the children and a cone was picked up, a cone was used to assault him. My client, as you can see on the video, tried to grab the cone and stop Mr. Lambert from being assaulted.”
As of Wednesday, four of the seven juveniles seen on surveillance video during the attack have turned themselves in.
On Monday, 14-year-old Richard Jones turned himself in to the police. He was charged with third-degree murder as an adult for his involvement in the horrific attack.
His 10-year-old brother also turned himself in and was later released.
Philadelphians are weighing in as three persons of interest came forward to police days after authorities released surveillance video of a group of juveniles wanted in the assault that ultimately took Lamber’s life.
“I’d say it’s fair, I’m not going to say they deserve any mercy or anything,” a man said.
Some are questioning if the charges will fit the crime.
“When you do the crime, you have to do the time,” one woman said. “I don’t believe in adolescents being charged as adults no matter what crime it is, but I do believe they need to be charged.”

Police Identify 14-Year-Old Girl Charged With 3rd-Degree Murder In Connection To Beating Death Of James Lambert In North Philadelphia​

By CBS3 StaffJuly 14, 2022 at 11:33 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A 14-year-old girl has been charged with third-degree murder and conspiracy in connection to the beating death of 73-year-old James Lambert in North Philadelphia. Police identified the girl who turned herself in to police on Wednesday morning as Gamara Mosley.
She was among several juveniles caught on camera during the attack that involved a traffic cone being used to beat Lambert. He died the day after the attack.
The 14-year-old girl turned herself in to the police alongside her attorney and mother just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.
“My client is 14 years of age, just turned 14, so I would just ask that everybody hold judgment,” defense attorney Lonny Fish said.
Fish is the 14-year-old girl’s attorney. He believes she is not a danger to the public.
“This is a bigger issue, not just small,” Fish said. “To lock up these children for a long period of time, do you think that will fix the problem that we have? I would say it’s not. My goal is to keep her in a juvenile system, in a school. No questions asked. Right now, she’ll be charged as an adult statutory, that’s the law. She’s being charged with murder in the third degree, conspiracy and I’m assuming possession of an instrument of crime.”
He adds her bail is expected to be set either Wednesday night or Thursday.
Also Wednesday, a 13-year-old girl turned herself in but was later released from police custody and was not charged. She turned herself in with her mom, attorney and other relatives shielding her.
Her attorney said a warrant was issued for her on third-degree murder charges, but she has since walked out of police custody and the Philadelphia district attorney says she is not being charged.
“I understand that this is a very serious situation and that these children have to be punished because they did something wrong, but not all of them are the same,” attorney Donte Mills said.
He says the girl tried to do the right thing, adding she called 911 and waited with Lambert until medics arrived.
“My client tried to prevent the group from doing that,” Mills said. “Mr. Lambert interacted with the children and a cone was picked up, a cone was used to assault him. My client, as you can see on the video, tried to grab the cone and stop Mr. Lambert from being assaulted.”
As of Wednesday, four of the seven juveniles seen on surveillance video during the attack have turned themselves in.
On Monday, 14-year-old Richard Jones turned himself in to the police. He was charged with third-degree murder as an adult for his involvement in the horrific attack.
His 10-year-old brother also turned himself in and was later released.
Philadelphians are weighing in as three persons of interest came forward to police days after authorities released surveillance video of a group of juveniles wanted in the assault that ultimately took Lamber’s life.
“I’d say it’s fair, I’m not going to say they deserve any mercy or anything,” a man said.
Some are questioning if the charges will fit the crime.
“When you do the crime, you have to do the time,” one woman said. “I don’t believe in adolescents being charged as adults no matter what crime it is, but I do believe they need to be charged.”

Teen Girl Charged In James Lambert’s Murder Gave 10-Year-Old Phone To Record Attack, Sources Say​

By Matt PetrilloJuly 15, 2022 at 9:11 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — There are new developments in the deadly beating of an elderly man in North Philadelphia. Eyewitness News has exclusively learned a cell phone that appears to have recorded the incident was turned over to police Thursday.
Sources say one of the teens involved in the incident gave a 10-year-old boy her phone to record the deadly attack on 73-year-old James Lambert with a traffic cone.
The big question detectives are working to figure out is does that cellphone contain more evidence of the attack? The attorney of the 10-year-old boy who was holding that phone during the incident says she’s not sure what’s in the phone but insists the phone belongs to someone else.
“The 10-year-old was very truthful and forthcoming,” attorney Rania Major said.
Major identified her 10-year-old client in the now infamous security as the small boy in a white T-shirt holding a cellphone and appearing to record the June 24 attack. The boy’s attorney says the phone is not his.
“He’s a little kid. He’s just kind of a tagalong,” Major said.

Eyewitness News has learned the phone belongs to 14-year-old Gamara Mosley, according to her attorney Lonny Fish.
What we do know is Mosley turned herself in to police Wednesday and is charged with third-degree murder.
Her attorney says he’s not sure if her phone had actually recorded the incident.
“It may have been filmed on her phone. I don’t know if it’s in there because I couldn’t get into it myself,” Fish said.
The security video shows the 10-year-old holding the phone. Mosely appears to touch the screen before she then grabs the traffic cone and throws it at the victim the first time.
Does she actually press the record button?
“I don’t know what she did on the video,” Fish said.

The 10-year-old boy’s attorney insists just before the attack he was given the phone and told to record it. But after the third and final time the cone strikes the victim, the 10-year-old is seen rushing toward the victim.
The 10-year-old’s attorney also says he then tried to call 911.
“One attempt that for some reason the call didn’t go through. And then you see on the video where the is a phone call made,” Major said.
That 10-year-old is not facing charges. We also learned that the 10-year-old helped police identify his 14-year-old brother, Richard Jones, in the security video. He too is charged with third-degree murder.

Preliminary hearing scheduled for 2 teenagers charged in beating death of 73-year-old James Lambert​

philadelphia
By CBS3 Staff, Jasmine Payoute

Updated on: September 14, 2022 / 7:31 AM / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A preliminary hearing for two teenagers charged in the traffic cone beating death of an elderly man in North Philadelphia is scheduled for Wednesday. Fifteen-year-old Richard Jones and 14-year-old Gamara Mosley face charges in the brutal beating back in June.

Authorities say the teens were captured on surveillance video beating 73-year-old James Lambert with a traffic cone on Cecil B. Moore Avenue.

He died a day after the attack.

The video of this incident shocked people around the region.

Jones and Mosley both face conspiracy and murder charges in relation to the June attack. Although other teens were there at the time of the incident, law enforcement has opted to charge only the teens who struck Lambert with the cone. Both are being charged as adults.

Jones and Mosley's bail was set at $750,000 and both remain in custody at the Philadelphia Juvenile Justice Services Center.

Back