WF TikTok star, teen were on first date when they were shot in head by HISPANIC; UPDATE - INSANITY DEFENSE, HEARING VOICES

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/tikto...en-he-and-teen-girl-were-both-shot-at-movies/

TikTok star, teen were on first date when they were shot in the head during ‘The Purge’ screening
By Lee Brown
July 30, 2021 | 4:54pm | Updated

The California teenager blasted to death during a screening of violent crime movie “The Forever Purge” was on a first date with a young TikTok star who may now be brain dead, her grieving dad has revealed.

“She was so f—ing happy,” private eye David Goodrich told DailyMail.com of his 18-year-old daughter Rylee Goodrich.

“I could tell she really, really liked this boy. And he really, really liked her,” he said of his daughter’s new beau, Anthony Barajas, 19, who he revealed was shot through the eye in the attack in Corona Monday night.

“They were so excited for their first date,” he said of the young lovebirds who met on July Fourth but had never before been out alone. “She curled her hair all pretty,” he recalled.

Barajas, a TikTok personality with more than 1 million followers, took Goodrich to “her favorite restaurant” before they went to see the latest installment of “The Purge,” the dad said.

The teen had been texting her mother right up until the moment the pair were both shot in the head, the dad said.

“She texted my wife how boring and stupid it was, how she didn’t like the movie,” he said of the flick, which portrays a dystopian America where murder is legal once a year for 12 hours.

rylee-goodrich-2.jpg

Rylee Goodrich was killed in the attack.
Instagram

“That was the last we heard from her,” Goodrich told the outlet of his “pride and joy.”

His daughter died instantly after she was shot “point-blank behind her head,” the dad said.

“She never even had a chance … Then he shot her new boyfriend behind his head,” he said.

“I don’t know if they’ve taken him off life support but I think he’s brain dead,” Goodrich told the outlet.

Just six tickets were sold for the screening, and the young couple’s bodies were only discovered once the flick had ended.

A 20-year-old man, Joseph Jimenez, was arrested at his home in Corona late Tuesday and charged with murder, attempted murder and robbery in the case, cops said.

A gun matching the caliber of the murder weapon was found at his home, Corona Police Department said in a press release — saying that “there is no known motive and it appears to be an unprovoked attack.”

Officers also found the teen girls’ wallet at the house, her father told the Mail, claiming that Jiminez has claimed to have been hearing voices, which the dad believes is a bid to start an insanity defense.

Goodrich conceded that he “rolled my eyes” when his daughter first told him her new beau was a TikTok star — but he won him over when he bought the whole family souvenirs from a recent trip to Hawaii.

joseph-jimenez.jpg

Joseph Jimenez has is facing murder and attempted murder charges.
Corona Police Department/MEGA

“It was the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen [a teenager] do,” he said, saying that further chats about how Barajas had monetized his online presence made him realize “he had his head screwed on straight.”

“I’m really protective and I wanted her to meet a guy who’s going to be compassionate and sensitive … and he seemed like that guy,” Goodrich said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: TikTok star, teen were on first date when they were shot in the head during ‘The Purge’ screenin

https://nypost.com/2021/07/31/tiktok-star-anthony-barajas-dies-after-ca-theater-shooting/

TikTok star Anthony Barajas dies days after California theater shooting
By Eileen AJ Connelly
July 31, 2021 | 5:57pm | Updated

TikTok star Anthony Barajas died Saturday, five days after he was gunned down with his date in a California movie theater.

Barajas, 19, had been on life support since Monday, when he and 18-year-old Rylee Goodrich were shot while watching a screening of “The Forever Purge” in Corona, California. It was the couple’s first date.

Goodrich died instantly from the gunshot wound to her head. Barajas, a TikTok personality with more than 1 million followers, was shot in the eye.

Early Saturday, his friend Malik Earnest, a San Diego reporter who had been sharing updates for several days, tweeted, “I want to thank everyone who lifted Anthony in prayer. The injuries to his brain were irreparable. July 30th at 11 p.m., Anthony was wheeled down an ‘honor walk’ where he would ultimately donate his organs so others may live. Please continue to pray for his family and friends.”

Joseph Jimenez, 20, was arrested late Tuesday and charged with the unprovoked attack. Cops said he appeared to have no connection to the couple, who were on their first date.

Goodrich’s father, David, said his daughter had met Barajas over July 4 weekend.

Barajas took Goodrich to “her favorite restaurant” before they went to see the latest installment of “The Purge,” the dad said. She had texted her mother during the movie that she thought dystopian flick boring and stupid.

Just six tickets were sold for the screening, and the young couple’s bodies were only discovered once the show was over. Cops said it was unclear how many people were in the theater at the time of the shootings.

Witnesses helped cops track Jimenez down, and he was arrested at his home, where police found a gun matching the caliber of the murder weapon, the Corona Police Department said. According to TMZ, he also had Goodrich’s wallet.

Goodrich’s father confronted the alleged gunman as he appeared in court Friday.

The heartbroken dad called Jimenez several times as he was led through the courtroom in handcuffs. “Hey, look at me, bro! Look at me! Look at me, dude! That was my …” the he said, before breaking down in tears in a friend’s arms.

Jimenez was charged Friday by the Riverside County district attorney’s office with one count of murder and one count of attempted murder, according to the Los Angeles

Insanity trial underway for man who killed 2 teens in Corona theater​

Joseph Jimenez Jr. said he heard voices before killing two teens in 2021​

brian_rokos.jpg

By Brian Rokos | brokos@scng.com | The Press-Enterprise
PUBLISHED: December 4, 2023 at 2:48 p.m. | UPDATED: December 4, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.

A mourner visits a memorial for Anthony Barajas, left, and Rylee Goodrich, right, during a vigil at the Regal Edwards movie theater in Corona on July 31, 2021. Their attacker, Joseph Jimenez Jr., has withdrawn his not-guilty pleas and during an insanity trial on Dec. 4, 2023, testified about the voices that he said urged him to kill. (Brian Rokos, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
A mourner visits a memorial for Anthony Barajas, left, and Rylee Goodrich, right, during a vigil at the Regal Edwards movie theater in Corona on July 31, 2021. Their attacker, Joseph Jimenez Jr., has withdrawn his not-guilty pleas and during an insanity trial on Dec. 4, 2023, testified about the voices that he said urged him to kill. (Brian Rokos, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
“We’re going to get you guys.”
Those were the words Joseph Jimenez Jr. said he repeatedly heard coming from “Abigail” and an unnamed companion while he was in the Regal Edwards cinema at the Crossings at Corona on July 26, 2021, watching “The Forever Purge” with three friends.
The voices, Jimenez testified on Monday, Dec. 4, were coming from several rows in front of him where Corona High School graduate Rylee Goodrich, 18, and Mater Dei High School graduate Anthony Barajas, 19, sat in Row F of Theater No. 15.
But the teens never said a word to Jimenez, and Abigail and the companion existed only in Jimenez’s mind.
They were among the voices that Jimenez said had threatened him for months and prompted him to spend $1,000 on a gun for protection. There were times, Jimenez testified, that he was unsure whether the voices were real. But he was afraid of the voices, and that night at the theater, he believed the threat came from a real person. So Jimenez went to his car, retrieved a gun and as the credits rolled, fired shots into the back of the teens’ heads, killing them.
Jimenez, 22, previously had pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder and not guilty because of insanity. But he withdrew those pleas and is now testifying in an insanity trial.

“When a defendant withdraws his plea of not guilty, he is admitting to all the elements and charges against him,” said Brooke Beare, a spokeswoman for the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office. “The judge will determine whether the defendant was sane or insane at the time of the crime. If he is found to be sane, he will be sentenced to prison. If he is found insane, he will be committed to a state hospital.”
The burden of proof in insanity trials, unlike in traditional criminal trials, is on the defense.

Jimenez showed up at the Riverside County Hall of Justice in Riverside on Monday with cuts and bruises to his face. Defense attorney Charles Kenyon said Jimenez was a victim of an assault after leaving his cell at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning in preparation for being transported to court. Superior Court Judge Timothy J. Hollenhorst said he has requested a more specific explanation from authorities.
Jimenez testified Monday under cross-examination from Senior Deputy District Attorney Kevin Beecham.
Jimenez said he and his friends went to Romano’s Macaroni Grill in the Crossings shopping center before the movie. Jimenez said he brought his gun into the restaurant for protection, and while he was there, said he heard voices coming from the kitchen threatening to kill him. He told Beecham, however, that he did not let on about the voices, confront restaurant staff or attempt to leave. Jimenez even stuck around to order dessert.
Jimenez said he didn’t shoot anyone then because “The man making the voice wasn’t directly in front of me.”
“You knew you couldn’t shoot the voices, correct?” Beecham asked him.
“Correct,” Jimenez replied.
He added: “Judging from the voices, I was assuming there were (real people present).”
Jimenez gave calm, succinct answers Monday and said he was on his medication. He previously told a reporter during a jailhouse interview that he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had not been taking his medicine around the date of the shooting because he had run out.
Jimenez went home after dinner but soon returned to the Crossings to watch the movie with his friends. It was about halfway through when he retrieved a bag that contained his gun. His friends grabbed the bag and passed it among themselves. Jimenez eventually took the bag back and with his head, motioned for his friends to leave, he testified.
The friends left without telling a soul about the danger in the theater, according to an affidavit written by a Corona police investigator to obtain an arrest warrant for Jimenez.
Jimenez said he cried before killing the teens.
“You were struggling with this because you knew it was morally wrong?” Beecham asked.
“Correct,” Jimenez said.
Jimenez said he nevertheless then approached Goodrich and Barajas — the only others watching the last showing of the night — and fired into their heads from a few rows behind.
About two dozen of their family members and friends left the courtroom shortly before Beecham showed video from Corona police body-worn cameras. The teens were splayed out over several seats each. Goodrich had no pulse, and Barajas screamed and cried. He died five days later.
Mourners hug, including Dave Goodrich, left, during a candlelight vigil and memorial outside the Regal Edwards movie theater in Corona for his daughter, Rylee Goodrich, 18, and friend, Antony Barajas, 19, on July 31, 2021. (Photo by Watchara Phomicinda, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
Mourners hug, including Dave Goodrich, left, during a candlelight vigil and memorial outside the Regal Edwards movie theater in Corona for his daughter, Rylee Goodrich, 18, and friend, Antony Barajas, 19, on July 31, 2021. (Photo by Watchara Phomicinda, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
Jimenez acknowledged that he climbed over a mortally wounded Barajas to steal Goodrich’s wallet.
Jimenez later testified in response to questions from Kenyon, the defense attorney, that he began hearing voices in 2020 and they prompted him to assault his father.
Kenyon then asked Jimenez whether he now believed the voices were real. He said no.
“They are all in my head,” Jimenez said, noting that he experienced a “tension” with them.
The killings, he said, “felt sort of surreal. I know I shouldn’t have done that but it was in the heat of the moment.”
The trial is expected to last through about Dec. 12.

Last edited:
Back