‘SNL’ news comedian calls for trans rights for kids

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

‘SNL’ news comedian calls for trans rights for kids​

By
Katherine Donlevy

April 16, 2023 2:44am
Updated

Saturday Night Live dedicated a portion of its Weekend Update segment early Sunday to condemn the anti-transgender legislation being passed in states around America.
Molly Kearney — the skit show’s first non-binary cast member — dropped into the guest seat via a harness to slam politicians trying to eliminate healthcare for transgender youth.
“As you know, I’ve been wanting to come to Update and talk about trans people. But I have them for a much longer time than that wanted to fly down from the ceiling,” the freshman featured player said.
“But I’m not gonna lie, this harness is pretty tight and my groin area is beefed. I’ve been hung up by my genitals for far too long and I’m starting to feel like a frickin’ Republican lawmaker.”
Kearney immediately slackened into a poker face to discuss the wave of states restricting gender-affirming care to children in recent weeks.
At least 13 states have enacted — and nearly two dozen others are considering — laws that would limit or ban the right to medically transition from the gender they were assigned at birth.
“Restricting Health Care for Kids. For some reason, there’s something about the word ‘trans’ that makes people forget the word ‘kids.’ If you don’t care about trans kids’ lives, it means you don’t care about fricking kids’ lives,” Kearney said to a round of applause.

Molly Kearney -- the skit show's first non-binary cast member -- dropped into the guest seat via a harness to slam politicians trying to eliminate healthcare for transgender youth.Molly Kearney — the skit show’s first non-binary cast member — dropped into the guest seat via a harness to slam politicians trying to eliminate healthcare for transgender youth.SNL: YouTube Kearney immediately slackened into a poker face to discuss the wave of states restricting gender-affirming care to children in recent weeks.Kearney immediately slackened into a poker face to discuss the wave of states restricting gender-affirming care to children in recent weeks.SNL: YouTube
Kearney — who uses they/them pronouns — said the laws are dangerous for the country’s youth and don’t protect them in the way politicians claim they do.

As the crew yanked Kearney back up toward the ceiling, they yelled off one last message.

“What’s happening kids is wrong and you don’t need to be scared. Our job is to protect you and your job is to focus on being a kid. It’s kind of like me flying in the SNL sky,” they said. “There’s a bunch of dudes asking you about your crotch and where you’re allowed to pee. But if you just hang on, you’ll look up and realize you’re flying kid.”

Kearney -- who uses they/them pronouns -- said the laws are dangerous for the country's youth and don't protect them in the way politicians claim they do.Kearney — who uses they/them pronouns — said the laws are dangerous for the country’s youth and don’t protect them in the way politicians claim they do.SNL: YouTube
The commentary from Kearney comes as trans rights has become a hot issue around the county in recent months, as laws have been passed in several states regulating participation in sports and the use of bathrooms by trans people and public appearances by drag queens.

Over the past week conservative critics have blasted Bud Light for using transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney as its newest spokesperson.

The controversy led to bomb threats for the beer’s producer, Anheuser-Busch InBev, and an apology from the company’s CEO.

Back