Charm skewl for niggers

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

larcheveaux.jpg

Athletes train in field of etiquette

MONTGOMERY -- Tynesha McKnight, a senior at Sidney Lanier High School, is learning more than reading, writing and arithmetic during after-school tutoring.
On Tuesdays and Wednesdays during February, McKnight and 74 other student athletes are being taught life skills they can take with them beyond high school.

"I thought it was going to be something like catching up on old homework," Tynesha said of the tutorial program. "It's mainly things you don't get taught at home because parents don't think about it."

The program, for
which the athletes volunteered, developed after athletic director and head football coach Richard Moncrief spoke with his mother about the lack of life-read
iness skills that he observed among some of the young athletes.

"I see kids who don't understand things like saying 'thank you' and 'yes sir,'" Moncrief said. "We want to be able to teach independent living skills, so that they will be able to succeed outside of their parents' house."

Moncrief's mother, Paulette Moncrief, is chairwoman of the Education Program Committee for the Beta Nu Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., and she saw this as an opportunity for the service organization.

"Because there are 15 (sorority members) at Lanier, we chose this school to be our first site," said the retired teacher and education manager for the Montgomery County Head Start Program.

The group discussed etiquette and appearance
during a recent session, but they also will discuss self-esteem, respect and academic preparation for the Alabama High School Exit Exam, which will be given March 7-11.

"It doesn't matter what you're wearing, always be ladies first," said Debbie Co
e, an English teacher at Lanier.

Coe advised the athletes on how to sit, stand, walk and eat during formal and informal meals.

"I'm learning restaurant etiquette. That's something new," said Isiah Taylor, a linebacker for the Poets' football team. "I thought it was going to be a tutoring program for folks whose grades aren't up to par."

Although Taylor said his grades are mostly Bs and Cs, some of his classmates do require remedial lessons, and before the month is over, the women will address those issues.

"There have been cases where we've had athletes that garnered attention from colleges and universities but academically they couldn't meet the r
equirements," Richard Moncrief said. "College is for everyone, not just some."

As a coach, Moncrief said he has many talented students, and he doesn't want them to be unable to fulfill their dreams because of poor grades or social skills.

"Perception is reality," Moncrief said, adding that he would like to extend this
program to the general student body.

McKnight, a member of the track team who recently moved to Montgomery from Connecticut, said she knows the skills she's learning will help her later.

"If I make it where I want to go, the Olympics, there will be times when people will want to take me out to eat or I might have to stand on a podium," McKnight said. "Now, I'll know how to act accordingly."

"There have been cases where we've had athletes that garnered attention from colleges and universities but academically they couldn't meet the requirements," Richard Moncrief said. "College is for everyone, not just some."

Wrong again, nigger. Elementary skewl is for everyone. College is for the best and brightest.

T.N.B.

Back