The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Former cop sentenced in accidental shooting death of pal​

By
Larry Celona and

Jesse O’Neill

January 14, 2022 9:15pm
Updated

Frederick Afoakwah in an undated photo released by family members Monday, APril 22, 2019. Afoakwah was playing video games Sunday morning with neighbor Police Officer Afariyeboah when he accidentally discharged the officer's gun killing himself.
A coroner found Frederick Afoakwah's wound was not self-inflicted as the police officer had originally claimed.

A former NYPD officer was sentenced to prison Friday in connection with the 2019 death of his friend, who was shot in the neck when the cop’s service weapon accidentally went off.
Martinson Afari Yeboah, 30, received one to three years behind bars after pleading guilty to second-degree manslaughter in October, the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office said.
“His actions were reckless and inconsiderate,” District Attorney Darcel Clark said in a press release.
Yeboah’s next-door neighbor, 21-year-old Frederick Afoakwah, was shot while the two played video games around 5:30 a.m. on April 21, 2019, Easter morning.
Yeboah, who had been on the job for a year and was assigned to housing police in the Bronx, told detectives the victim accidentally shot himself while playing with the gun.
Bronx County District Attorney Darcel Clark Bronx County District Attorney Darcel Clark called the officer’s actions “reckless and inconsiderate.”Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images / Lev Radin
However, a coroner found the wound was not self-inflicted, and the ex-cop did not “perform life-saving measures,” and only called 911 at the insistence of Afoakwah’s father, prosecutors said.
“I came out and I saw my son laying on the floor. There was blood all over the rug and the sofa,” Afoakwah’s father, Ransford Afoakwah told The Post after the shooting. “He wasn’t speaking.”
The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital and declared dead a short time later.
Yeboah, a Ghana native, was fired from the NYPD following the shooting.

Back