Good Samaritan's killer gets 55 years

-88-

Registered

ab8cm.jpg

Azriel Bridge

Good Samaritan's killer gets 55 years in prison
77-year-old widow let salesman in home
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 01/7/06

TOMS RIVER --Anything short of life in prison without parole is too good for the selfish teenager who brutally murdered a 77-year-old widow after she let him into her Dover Township home for a drink of water on a hot day when he was going door-to-door selling magazine subscriptions, tearful relatives of the victim told a judge Friday.

The family of murder victim Shirley Reuter left the Ocean County Courthouse disappointed after Superior Court Judge Edward J. Turnbach imposed a 55-year prison term on 19-year-old Azriel Bridge of Chicago.

"I'm very disappointed that this guy has the opportunity to perhaps go b

ack into society and do this again,'' said David Reuter, son of the victim, after Turnb
ach imposed the sentence on Bridge.

"He's obviously a deviant,'' David Reuter said of Bridge, who sat speechless with a blank stare throughout the sentencing hearing.

"I don't understand the judge's decision. I don't,'' Reuter said.

"He got away (with it),'' Shirley Reuter's granddaughter, Devena Gargano of Bayville, Berkeley, said of Bridge. "It should have been life.''

Turnbach sentenced Bridge for the June 9, 2004, murder that terrorized Shirley Reuter's Chestnut Street neighborhood. The judge ordered that Bridge serve 85 percent of the prison term, or 46 years and nine months, before he can be considered for parole.

Turnbach could have imposed a maximum of life in prison with no chance of parole before 63 years and nine months "â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�Å¡¦ the legal equivalent of 85 percent of a life term under the No
Earl
y Re
leas
e Act.

The judge did not explain why he handed down a lesser sentence, but said the crime was "particularly heinous, cruel and depraved,'' and that there w
as no reason for Bridge to do what he did to Reuter, whom the judge called a good Samaritan.

Bridge on Oct. 4 told Turnbach that he beat Reuter with a fireplace bellows and poker and stabbed her with a knife he grabbed from her kitchen after she let him into her Chestnut Street home on a spring day in 2004 when he was canvassing her neighborhood for magazine sales.

The crime prompted a number of communities to pass "no-knock'' ordinances, giving residents the option of barring salespeople from their homes.

Bridge, who was days shy of his 18th birthday at the time, had traveled to New Jersey with a group of at least 11 others from the Midwest selling magazines for Phoenix Imaging, a subsidiary of American Community Services, a magazine clearinghouse based in Michigan City, Ind.

Brid
ge was p
rosecute
d as an adult because of the seriousness of the crime.

After his arrest on June 11, 2004, Bridge told police he had tried to steal Reuter's checkbook after she let him into her home. B
ut when confronted by her, Bridge said he pushed the widow to the ground, struck and stabbed her, wiped the knife clean and placed it back in the butcher block in the kitchen.

After that, he said, he left the house and called his supervisor to say he had met his sales quota.

Reuter had been on the phone with a friend when her phone went dead. Before it did, she had told her friend that she had let a young magazine salesman into her home for a drink of water and to let him use her bathroom.

That, said Executive Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Ronald F. DeLigny, was the irony. Shirley Reuter "extended kindness and compassion to an individual, taken him out of the sun to give him water,'' DeLigny said.

"And where did her kindness get her?
'' D
eLigny asked

Bri
dge beat her with the fireplace bellows until it broke, DeLigny said. Not satisfied with that, he grabbed a fireplace poker and struck the widow with it with "such force, the hook on the end was broken off,'' DeLigny said

Then Bridge grabbed a knife from the kitchen and used it to slit the victim's throat, DeLigny said.

"I cannot think of a more depraved, cruel, savage murder,'' DeLigny said, asking Turnbach to impose a life prison term.

DeLigny's request echoed that of David Reuter and two of the victim's granddaughters.

"The best thing you can do for me, except to put me in a room with him for five minutes, is to put him away for the rest of his life,'' David Reuter told the judge.

Reuter said his mother was "a giving member of the community.'' She was active in Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Dover Township and belonged to its choir. She ferried elderly people i
n her community
to doctor's
appointments and
to stores.

"We all miss her. We miss her very much,'' Reuter said.

About 15 people "â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�Å¡¦ relatives, friends and neighbors "â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�Å¡¦ sat with him in the courtroom. Shirley Reuter's two granddaughters wept openly.

"My grandmother had a lot of years left in her life,'' Gargano
told Turnbach. "She was a very active, strong woman, and I wish my second daughter was able to meet her.''

Gargano said she was pregnant with her second daughter when her grandmother was murdered, and she nearly went into early labor because of the shock of the crime.

Another granddaughter, DeAnne Fischbach, told Turnbach her grandmother will not have the opportunity to see her grandson, Fischbach's son, grow up.

Fischbach said she can no longer enjoy a night by a fireplace because of the violent images that go through her mind when she thinks of a fireplace poker or bellows.

She said her grandmoth
er suffered because
of her compassion.

"She wa
s trying to be nice by giving him a drink of water and letting him in to use the bathroom, and he turns around and does this awful thing to her,'' Fischbach said. "He needs to stay in jail forever.''

When asked by Turnbach if he had anything to say before he was sentenced, Bridge stared blankly and barely shook his head.

His atto
rney, Deputy Assistant Public Defender Philip Pagano, asked Turnbach to impose a 30-year sentence. He said Bridge was born to a 15-year-old mother and was in and out of psychiatric hospitals for most of his life.

At age 8, Bridge began to smoke marijuana, Pagano said. By age 13, he was drinking and taking Ecstasy pills, Pagano said.

DeLigny said it was Bridge's choice to use drugs. The psychiatric treatment was needed, DeLigny said, because of Bridge's violent tendencies. In fact, a psychiatric report on Bridge noted that his thoughts of murder, sexual assault
and dismemberment were
of "significant c
oncern'' and tha
t he "does not show remorse'' for the murder, DeLigny said.

"He is a threat, a danger,'' DeLigny said. "He should not be amongst the rest of society.''

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...7/NEWS/60107001

3418874_200X150.jpg

Shirley Reuter

Chicago Murder Suspect Had Previous Warrant
Man Did Not Undergo Background Check

POSTED: 10:18 pm CDT June 14, 2004
UPDATED: 8:23 pm CDT June 15, 2004

CHICAGO -- Shirley Reuter, 77, was found beaten and stabbed to death on the floor of her New Jersey home, and on Monday 18-year-old Azriel Bridge of Chicago, was arraigned in court, charged with her murder.

"Don't trust anybody, unfortunately," said Janet Hansell, a neighbor of Reuter. "And it's not something we thought Shirley would ever do, let a stranger into her house."

Police want to know why he was hired to sell magazines, because there was no apparent background check done by the company, NBC5 reported on Wednesday. Police said he had an outstanding warrant for

his arrest for theft charges in Cook County. Police also said two other people accused of murder wer
e hired by the company to sell magazines without any apparent background check.

NBC5's Jennifer Mitchell reported on Tuesday about the past of other sales representatives hired by the magazine company. Bridge worked for a company called Phoenix Imagery, located in Michigan City, Ind. Phoenix Imagery uses American Community Services, also located in Michigan City, Ind., to clear its orders.

The industry is unregulated in many parts of the country, Mitchell reported, and Reuter's murder is just the latest in a number of crimes plaguing the industry. In 1990, a woman was stabbed to death in her Massachusetts home by a sales agent who cleared orders through American Community Services, and in 2001, another sales agent who also cleared orders through American Community Services, pleaded guilty to murdering a woman from Tennessee, Mitchell reported.

A spokeswoman for the Ill
inoi
s De
part
ment of Labor told Mitchell that part of the problem is many states, including Illinois, don't regulate
the industry.

"We do not have any statutory authority to regulate this industry for anyone over 16 years old," said Stephanie Noble.

According to documents obtained by NBC5, there is a warrant out for the arrest of Bridge in Cook County for theft and defrauding a financial institution in October of last year. But since background checks in this business aren't normally required by law, he was able to start working for the company just before Memorial Day.

A statement released Tuesday by an attorney for American Community Services said Bridge never worked directly for the company and was not considered an employee. Therefore, the company did not have any information about whether a background check was ever done on Bridge. Mitchell reported that prosecutors in New Jersey have asked their attorney general to get involved to see if either company c
an be he
ld crimi
nally re
sponsible.

Police say on Wednesday, Bridge was going door to door in the victim's neighborhood selling magazine sub
scriptions, Mitchell reported. He allegedly went to Reuter's home twice, once for a drink of water and the next time to use the bathroom.

Reuter was found dead by her friends the following day, but it is unclear if this was a robbery gone bad or if the murder was premeditated.

"There are several different scenarios that could have happened inside there, which, at this point in time, only two people know and one of them is no longer with us," said Michael Mastronardi.

Acting on tips from the public, police located the suspect and his vehicle Sunday night at a hotel near an airport. According to authorities, police found knives and a fireplace poker in Bridge's possession, and Bridge still had Reuter's checkbook.

"This is the type of crime that causes a panic in the community," said Thomas Kel
aher, an Oce
an County pr
osecutor. &q
uot;The sooner we were able to solve, the better to put everybody back at ease."

Bridge, who was also charged with robbery, is being held on a $500,0
00 bond.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/3418879/detail.html

Slain widow's son: Bridge deserves a death sentence

DOVER TOWNSHIP --Before entering the courtroom today for the sentencing of Azriel Bridge, David Reuter spoke about the ordeal and the trauma it has caused his family.

Bridge murdered 77-year-old Shirley Reuter -- David's mother -- on June 9, 2004, after the Dover Township widow let him into her house for a glass of water.

Bridge, now 19, of Chicago, is scheduled to be sentenced this afternoon by Superior Court Judge Edward J. Turnbach. He was working in Reuter's Chestnut Street neighborhood for a Midwest magazine clearinghouse.

"This is a very emotional day for me, and I'm hoping it will bring some closure,'' said David, who now lives in his mother's home.

"I know I am going to be thinking about what happened, reliving it in my mind, which is going to be really tough,'' he said

. "I think there will be some closure for me if (Bridge)
gets the proper sentence, which is a life sentence without parole.''

David Reuter said he wishes Bridge could be executed.

"The death sentence is what he deserves,'' Reuter said. "It bothers me that he will have a roof over his head, get three square meals a day, have TV privileges, a weight room and better health coverage than I have. All at the taxpayers' expense.''

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...6/NEWS/60106008

sr7hi.jpg

Family and friends attend a short service last June at the Presbyterian Church of Toms River before walking together to the home of murder victim Shirley Reuter.

PAIN, ANXIETY REMAIN A YEAR AFTER SLAYING OF WOMAN IN HER HOME
Few in Dover sign up for "do-not-knock" list
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 06/12/05

DOVER TOWNSHIP --When Janet Hansell looks out the window at the blue-shingled house across the street, she feels a now-familiar pain.

"It's a heartache," Hansell said, gesturing in the direction of the home where her friend, 77-year-old Shirley Reuter, used to live. "This was the worst thing in the world. I have to look across the street and think about it all the time."

A year ago, on June 9, Reuter was beaten and stabbed to d

eath after she let a 17-year-old door-to-door magazine salesman into her home when he asked for
a drink of water and to use the bathroom

Now, a year later, Hansell fears that most residents of Dover have forgotten what happened to Reuter. Only 119 of the more than 39,000 residential households in Dover have signed up for the township's "do-not-knock" list, a registry that bars salespeople who work for profit-making entities from soliciting at homes on the list.

After Reuter's slaying, Hansell collected the signatures of more than 3,000 people who asked that all door-to-door sales be banned here. Told by township officials that it was illegal to bar religious and political groups from soliciting, Hansell and her neighbors --including Reuter's son, David --came to town hall to support passage of the township's "do-not-knock" ordinance, which applies to commercial solicitors.

The measure was approved in late August.

"Somethi
ng&#
39;s
got
to be done to publicize this," Hansell, 59, said. "We have to alert the people of Toms River. They have to remember what happen
ed to Shirley."

David Reuter, 57, who still lives in the house he used to share with his mother, agreed that township officials must do more to publicize the do-not-knock ordinance.

"I don't think people know what the procedure is," Reuter said. "I don't think they really know what they have to do. The town ought to try to extend a little bit more to try to get them into the senior-citizen clubhouses, into places where people might see the forms and learn about it."

Mayor Paul C. Brush said he plans to send information about signing up for the no-knock registry with third-quarter tax bills, which will be mailed out within the next several weeks.

"There has been a lot of publicity about it," the mayor said. "But we can try to publicize it a bit more."

Dover residen
ts who w
ish to s
ign up f
or the registry can pick up a form at town hall or print one that can be found on the township's Web site, www.townshipofdover.com.

The registry of homeowners is kept at the townsh
ip clerk's office, and firms that wish to conduct door-to-door sales campaigns in Dover are required to pick up the do-not-knock list as part of their registration process with the township.

The ordinance also requires criminal background checks to be performed on all vendors and employees of door-to-door enterprises when they apply for their temporary license to sell here.

At the time Reuter was killed, Dover already had an ordinance in place requiring companies conducting door-to-door sales to register with the township. Township officials have said that Phoenix Imaging, the company that employed Chicago resident Azriel Rashard Bridge, had not registered with the township before bringing Bridge and 11 other solicitors to Dover early last June.

Phoenix Imaging
is a subsidi
ary of Ameri
can Communit
y Services, a magazine clearinghouse based in Michigan City, Ind. Employees working for American Community Services or its subcontractors have been charged in connection with other deadly assau
lts in the past, including the 1990 stabbing death of a 76-year-old retired beautician in Woburn, Mass., and the slaying of a 67-year-old woman in Knoxville, Tenn.

Bridge, who will turn 19 on June 17, was charged with killing Reuter when he was arrested at an Elizabeth hotal two days after the slaying. Authorities have said he stabbed Reuter and also struck her with a fireplace poker before ransacking her house and taking several items.

Bridge had no prior convictions before the killing, but did have a disorderly persons charge pending against him in Illinois. Several residents of the Chestnut Street area had called police on the day of Reuter's murder to complain that a man selling magazine subscriptions had asked to come in for a glass of water.

Reuter's bod
y was not discov
ered until June
10 --the day after the slaying --when three of her friends from Holy Cross Lutheran Church became concerned because she had missed a choir rehearsal, and went to her house. Reuter, a chart
er member of the church, was an organist, a member of the church choir and played in the bell choir.

Bridge is being held in the Ocean County Jail, Toms River, in lieu of $1 million bail. A trial date has not been set.

Police Chief Michael G. Mastronardy said that Dover's do-not-knock ordinance, which was based on a similar measure adopted by Wayne Township, gives police greater enforcement power and more control over door-to-door sales.

"It gives us another tool to use," Mastronardy said. "In that sense, it's definitely helpful."

In Wayne, more than 6,000 of the township's 19,000 households have signed up to be part of the no-knock registry.

After Reuter's death, several towns in the area, i
ncluding Point Pleas
ant, Lavallette, Man
toloking and Beachw
ood, adopted similar ordinances creating their own no-knock registries.

Of the more than 7,500 residential units in Point Pleasant, only 389 have signed up for the borough's do-not-knock list. The Police Department has not
received any reports of people violating the ordinance; Chief Raymond Hilling said he believes the list provides residents with peace of mind.

"I think it provides a sense of security for the residents who are on it," Hilling said. "They feel that they are not going to be disturbed or bothered."

Lavallette Public Safety Director Louis Taranto said 107 of the approximately 2,500 households in the borough have signed up for the no-knock registry.

"To be honest, I thought we would have a little bit more," Taranto said. "People just don't like someone coming up knocking on your door trying to sell you anything, whether it be subscriptions or stuff to clea
n."

In Dover
, Janet Hansell's da
ughter-in-law, Christin
a Kaniuk, said she signed up for the no-knock registry to discourage solicitors from coming to her home off Fischer Boulevard.

"I put the sticker out there," said Kaniuk, who has two children and is pregnant with her third child. "I always lock the screen door so the kids can'
t get out, and I have told the kids to make sure they don't ever answer the door."

Hansell said she hopes more Dover residents will follow the lead of her family, and sign up for the no-knock registry. When doing so, she wants them to remember Reuter, her friend of 16 years, a widow who took meticulous care of her Chestnut Street property, baked apple pies for neighbors and friends, and prepared special "goodie bags" for Hansell's 10 grandchildren on Halloween.

"I'll do anything to get this information out," Hansell said. "I don't want this to happen to anyone else, or to
any other family. I miss al
l the things that she used t
o do for us. I really miss
my friend Shirley."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../NEWS/506120386

What has happened to our justice system where an evil murdering nigger like this cannot be executed for such a crime???? Off to nigger heaven for this boon when he should be swinging from a public gallows an an example to the rest of the niggers to show them what will happen to them if they step out of line!!!! This type of TNB crime makes me crazy!!!!!!!!!! Hang this ape today!!!

Gman

Back