Hitler’s Private Library: The Books That Shaped His Life

-88-

Registered
Hitler's secret library
Don Quixote, Robinson Crusoe, Shakespeare — these were the works that he adored

He was, of course, a man better known for burning books than collecting them, yet by the time he died, at 56, Hitler owned an estimated 16,000 volumes. It was by any measure an impressive collection: first editions of the works of philosophers, historians, poets, playwrights and novelists. For him, the library represented a Pierian spring, that metaphorical source of knowledge and inspiration. He drew deeply there, quelling intellectual insecurities and nourishing fanatic ambitions. He read voraciously, at least one book per night, sometimes more, he claimed. “When one gives, one also has to take,” he once said. “I take what I need fr
om books.”

He ranked Don Quixote, along with Robinson Crusoe, Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Gulliver’s Travels, among the great works of world literature. “Each of them is a grandiose idea unto itself,” he said. In Robinson Crusoe he perceived “the development of the entire history of mankind”. Don Quixote captured “ingeniously” the end of an era. He was especially impressed by Gustave Doré’s depictions of Cervantes’s delusion-plagued hero.

He also owned the collected works of William Shakespeare, published in German translation in 1925 by Georg Müller as part of a series intended to make great literature available to the general public. Volume six includes As You Like It, Twelfth Night, Hamlet and Troilus and Cressida. The entire set is bound in hand-tooled Moroccan leather, with a gold-embossed eagle, flanked by his initials, on the spine.

Hitler considered Shakespeare superior to Goethe and Schiller. While Shakespeare had fuelled his imagination on the protean forces of
the emerging British empire, these two Teutonic playwright-poets squandered their talent on stories of midlife crises and sibling rivalries. Why was it, he wondered, the German Enlightenment produced Nathan the Wise, the story of the rabbi who reconciles Christians, Muslims and Jews, while it had been left to Shakespeare to give the world The Merchant of Venice and Shylock?

He appears to have imbibed his Hamlet. “To be or not to be” was a favourite phrase, as was “It is Hecuba to me”. He was especially fond of Julius Caesar. In a 1926 sketchbook he drew a detailed stage set for the first act, with sinister facades enclosing the forum where Caesar is cut down. “We will meet again at Philippi,” he threatened an opponent on more than one occasion, plagiarising the spectral warning to Brutus after Caesar’s murder. He was said to have reserved the Ides of March for momentous decisions.

He kept his Shakespearian volumes in the second-floor study of his Alpine retreat in southern German
y, along with a leather edition of another favourite author, the adventure novelist Karl May. “The first Karl May that I read was The Ride Across the Desert,” he recalled. “I was overwhelmed. I threw myself into him immediately, which resulted in a noticeable decline in my grades.” Later in life, he was said to have sought solace in Karl May the way others did in the Bible.

He was versed in the Holy Scriptures and owned a particularly handsome tome with “Worte Christi” (Words of Christ) embossed in gold on a cream-coloured calfskin cover that even today remains as smooth as silk. He also owned a German translation of Henry Ford’s anti-semitic tract The International Jew: The World’s Foremost Problem and a 1931 handbook on poison gas, with a chapter detailing the qualities and effects of prussic acid, the homicidal asphyxiant marketed commercially as Zyklon B. On his bedstand, he kept a well-thumbed copy of Wilhelm Busch’s mischievous cartoon duo Max and Moritz.

Walter Benjamin
[the German-Jewish scholar who died in 1940 while fleeing the Nazi invasion of France] once said you could tell a lot about a man by the books he keeps. He proposed that a private library serves as a permanent and credible witness to the collector’s character, leading him to the philosophic conceit that we collect books in the belief we are preserving them, when in fact the books preserve their collector.

For the past half-century, the remnants of Hitler’s library have occupied shelf space in climatised obscurity in the Rare Book Division of the Library of Congress. The 1,200 surviving volumes that once graced Hitler’s bookcases in his three elegantly appointed libraries — wood panelling, thick carpets, brass lamps, overstuffed armchairs — at private residences in Munich, Berlin and the Obersalzberg, near Berchtesgaden, now stand in densely packed rows on steel shelves in an unadorned, dimly lit storage area of the Thomas Jefferson Building in downtown Washington, just across the street from
the United States Supreme Court.

The sinews of emotional logic that once ran through this collection — Hitler shuffled his books ceaselessly and insisted on reshelving them himself — have been severed. A copy of his family genealogy is sandwiched between a bound collection of newspaper articles titled Sunday Meditations and a folio of political cartoons from the 1920s. A handsomely bound facsimile edition of letters by Frederick the Great, specially designed for Hitler’s 50th birthday, lies on a shelf for oversized books beneath a similarly huge presentation volume on the city of Hamburg and an illustrated history of the German navy in the first world war. His copy of the writings of the Prussian general Carl von Clausewitz, who famously declared that war was politics by other means, shares shelf space with a French vegetarian cookbook inscribed to “Monsieur Hitler végétarien”.

When I first surveyed Hitler’s surviving books in the spring of 2001, I discovered fewer than half the vo
lumes had been catalogued, and only 200 of those were searchable in the Library of Congress’s online catalogue. Most were listed on ageing index cards and still bore the idiosyncratic numbering system assigned in the 1950s.

At Brown University, in Providence, Rhode Island, I found another 80 Hitler books in a similar state of benign neglect. Taken from his Berlin bunker in the spring of 1945 by Albert Aronson, one of the first Americans to enter Berlin after Germany’s defeat, they were donated to Brown by Aronson’s nephew in the late 1970s. Among the books at Brown, I found a copy of Mein Kampf with Hitler’s ex-libris book plate, an analysis of Wagner’s Parsifal published in 1913, a history of the swastika from 1921, and half a dozen or so spiritual and occult volumes acquired in Munich in the early 1920s, including an account of supernatural occurrences, The Dead Are Alive!, and a monograph on Nostradamus. I discovered additional Hitler books in public and private archives across America and
Europe

Several dozen of these surviving Hitler books contain marginalia. Here I encountered a man who famously seemed never to listen to anyone, for whom conversation was a relentless tirade, a ceaseless monologue, pausing to engage with the text, to underline words and sentences, to mark entire paragraphs, to place an exclamation point beside one passage, a question mark beside another, and quite frequently an emphatic series of parallel lines in the margin alongside a particular passage. Like footprints in the sand, these markings allow us to trace the course of the journey, but not necessarily the intent, where attention caught and lingered, where it rushed forward and where it ultimately ended.

In a 1934 reprint of Paul Lagarde’s German Letters, a series of late-19th-century essays advocating the systematic removal of Europe’s Jewish population, I found more than 100 pages of pencilled intrusions: from page 41, where Lagarde calls for the “transplanting” of German and Austrian Jews
to Palestine, extending to ominous passages where he speaks of Jews as “pestilence”. “This water pestilence must be eradicated from our streams and lakes,” Lagarde writes on page 276, with a pencil marking bold affirmation in the margin. “The political system without which it cannot exist must be eliminated.”

Easily two-thirds of the collection consists of books he never saw, let alone read, but there are also scores of more personal volumes Hitler studied and marked. It also contains small but telling details. While perusing the volumes in the rare-book collection at the Library of Congress, I came across one whose original contents had been gutted. The front and back boards were firmly secured to the spine by a heavy linen cover, with the title North, Central and East Asia: Handbook of Geographic Science embossed in gold on a blue background. The original pages had been replaced by a sheaf of cluttered documents: a dozen or so photonegatives, an undated handwritten manuscript titled The S
olution to the German Question and a brief note typed on a presentation card that read:

My Führer, On the 14th anniversary of the day you first set foot in the Sternecker, Mrs Gahr is presenting to you the list of your fellow fighters. It is our conviction that this hour is the hour of the birth of our wonderful movement and of our new Reich. With loyalty unto death.

The card bore no date, and the list of early Nazi-party members was missing, but the mention of “Mrs Gahr”, presumably the wife of Otto Gahr, the goldsmith whom Hitler charged with casting the first metal swastikas for the Nazi party, as well as the reference to the 14th anniversary of Hitler’s first appearance in the Sternecker beer hall, preserves in briefest outline the trajectory of Hitler from political upstart in 1919 to chancellor of the German Reich in 1933.

Hitler left no narrative of his own collection, no account of how one or the other volume came into his possession, or of its particular emotional signific
ance, but the various inscriptions, marginalia and other details provide insight into their personal and intellectual significance for his life.

Extracted from Hitler’s Private Library: The Books That Shaped His Life, published by Bodley Head on February 5 at £18.99.

-88-!

You beat me to this. :) I read it last year, I wonder why they're just getting around to reviewing it now. What you posted is the preface from the book, and it's exactly what I was going to post (maybe excise that part about the jew Benjamin), but I thought I was going to have to type the whole thing up myself. Good find, and it is an excellent book with 280 pages following on that. With illustrations, notes, appendices and bibliography. I particularly like the photo of Hitler standing in his apartment in front of a stack of books (which they cut down for the cover). Here's a fuzzy copy from the Boston Globe, also cropped, but at least it still shows some of his books:

300h.jpg

Adolf Hitler, circa 1925, in his
first Munich apartment

Don't forget one of the most important book for him : Sex and Character by the jew Otto Weininger.

Do you know that book about Hitler's youth "La Vienne de Hitler" by Brigitte Haman : very important to knoll about his intelectual background.

Hitler was great lover of Far West Adventures written by Karl may.

Back