Mammy drowns niglet in toilet

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
tina_graham.jpg

Trial underway for woman accused of drowning her newborn baby in the toilet

Video at link.

(MOBILE, Ala.) November 29- Hiding behind supporters as she entered the courtroom, Tina Graham later sat alone as the jury watched her videotaped police interview taken two days after her newborn baby girl was found drowned in a toilet. It happened February of last year inside Graham's home in west Mobile. Police found the baby wrapped in a blanket and inside a bucket in a hall closet. An autopsy shows the infant was alive at the time of birth.

In the taped interview, Graham explained to po

lice she was embarrassed about her unwanted pregnancy, couldn't afford a fourth child, and
wasn't sure who the father was. She hid the pregnancy for eight months. Prosecutors say after the baby drowned, Graham cleaned up the bathroom and went back to bed, only calling 9-1-1 hours later when she wouldn't stop bleeding.

Graham claims she went into labor unexpectedly as she was going to the bathroom and she believed the little girl was born dead. "The defense is that she was so overcome by a mental illness that she has and by emotions and the whole concept without prenatal care over hiding a pregnancy that she was paralyzed and unable to act," said Graham's lawyer Jeff Deen.

While police accused Graham of using castor oil to induce labor, Graham denied it. A homicide detective testified the mother told him the baby was in the toilet water for about
six
minutes before she took him out.

It's a case of negritude, pure and simple.

T.N.B.

inside_the-mind_of_the_accused.jpg

Mother Accused of Drowning Baby in Toilet: Murderer or Mentally Ill?

(MOBILE, Ala). Nov 30 - As early as Thursday, a jury will begin deliberating the murder case of a West Mobile mother accused of letting her newborn baby drown in a toilet.

In February of last year, police say Tina Graham discarded the body of her newborn in a bucket inside a hallway closet in her home.

The 39-year-old, who has three other children, admitted to police she didn't want and couldn't afford another child, and was not certain who the father was. Graham had hidden her pregnancy for more than e

ight months, claiming she suddenly gave birth in her bathroom and believed the baby was stillborn.

The prosecution and defense paint two very different pictures of the defendant: one as murderer, the other as mentally ill. Is this the face of a calculating killer who allowed her newborn daughter to drown in a toilet?

Or of a mentally ill mother so completely out of touch with reality, she's not responsible for her actions.

"Her mental state is a factor for the jury to consider in this case,

Mobile mother found guilty of manslaughter

(MOBILE, Ala.) December 2 -- It took a jury about three hours to decide Tina Graham was not a murderer but did decide she killed her baby.

Graham was charged with murder after her infant girl died in the early morning hours of February 15 in 2004. Graham's defense lawyer Jeff Deen argued during the four-day trial that Graham was severely depressed and mentally defective when she gave birth in her bathroom.

She told investigators her's was an unwanted pregnancy, and she wanted to carry the baby to term so she could offer it up for adoption. She told investigators she delivered while on the toilet, and after passing the infant, she passed out.

She claimed when she awoke 20 minutes late

r the infant, still in the toilet was dead. She thou
ght it had been still born.

The jury found Graham guilty of manslaughter, not murder. She did not take the verdict lightly.

"If you just saw her she was shaking all over. It looked to me like she was having a panic attack or anxiety attack and she was crying," said her lawyer Jeff Deen.

Prosecutors pursued murder charges against Graham, who also has three other children. The murder charges were filed when an autopsy showed Graham's infant girl was born alive but drowned in the toilet.

Prosecutor Jo Beth Murphree says Graham had options that would have saved the infant girl's life.

"I wish she had taken her baby to the hospital and availed herself of the Secret Safe Place for newborn's program," said Murphree.

Graham will return to court at Government Plaza January 16 for sentencing. She faces two to 20 years in prison.

I bet mammy only gets two years.

T.N.B.

Tyrone, I cannot tell you how shocked I am.

I always thought the niglet goes in hot water.

I'm stunned ....

Mobile mother found guilty of manslaughter

(MOBILE, Ala.) December 2 -- It took a jury about three hours to decide Tina Graham was not a murderer but did decide she killed her baby.

tina_graham.jpg

Graham was charged with murder after her infant girl died in the early morning hours of February 15 in 2004. Graham's defense lawyer Jeff Deen argued during the four-day trial that Graham was severely depressed and mentally defective when she gave birth in her bathroom.

She told investigators her's was an unwanted pregnancy, and she wanted to carry the baby to term so she could offer it up for adoption. She told investigators she delivered while on the toilet, and after passing the infant, she passed out.

She claimed when she awoke 20 minutes later the
r
infant, still in the toilet was dead. She thought it had been still born.

The jury found
Graham guilty of manslaughter, not murder. She did not take the verdict lightly.

"If you just saw her she was shaking all over. It looked to me like she was having a panic attack or anxiety attack and she was crying," said her lawyer Jeff Deen.

Prosecutors pursued murder charges against Graham, who also has three other children. The murder charges were filed when an autopsy showed Graham's infant girl was born alive but drowned in the toilet.

Prosecutor Jo Beth Murphree says Graham had options that would have saved the infant girl's life.

"I wish she had taken her baby to the hospital and availed herself of the Secret Safe Place for newborn's program," said Murphree.

Graham will return to court at Government Plaza January 16 for sentencing. She faces two to 20 years in prison.

http://www.wpmi.com/news/local/story.aspx?...7A-8D299EA82DBC

Back