Mexican/Latin American: Man found guilty of second-degree murder in Southern California road rage shooting that killed a WM 6-year-old boy

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Man found guilty of second-degree murder in Southern California road rage shooting that killed a 6-year-old boy​

By Cindy Von Quednow, CNN

2 minute read

Published 5:55 PM EST, Thu January 25, 2024

Aiden Leos

Aiden Leos, 6, was killed in a road rage shooting incident on a Southern California highway in May 2021.
Courtesy Leos Family

CNN —

A man was found guilty of second-degree murder on Thursday in the 2021 road rage shooting on a Southern California highway that left a 6-year-old boy dead, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

A jury also found Marcus Anthony Eriz, 26, guilty of shooting into an occupied vehicle and discharging a firearm causing great bodily injury and death in the killing of Aiden Leos.

Aiden was sitting in a booster seat in the back seat of his mother’s car as she drove him to school when he was shot on the morning of May 21, 2021, CNN previously reported. The kindergartener died at a hospital.

Eriz and his girlfriend, Wynne Lee, 26, were arrested weeks later.

Video from the courtroom showed Eriz did not react to the verdict on Thursday after it was read.

Randall S. Bethune, Eriz’s attorney, had no comment.

The boy’s mother testified that she flipped Lee and Eriz off after Lee cut her off while traveling on a freeway, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office said in a news release.

“After driving away, she said she heard a large noise and heard her son say, ‘ow,’ before pulling over (to) the side of the freeway and pulling Aiden out of his car seat and calling 911,” the release said.
Marcus Anthony Eriz faces a sentence of 40 years to life in prison.

Marcus Anthony Eriz faces a sentence of 40 years to life in prison.
Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times/Getty Images/File

“Six-year-old boys should be playing outside in the sunshine, soaking in all the magic and wonder that is boyhood, not lying dead in a tiny, child-size coffin because a man he never met decided to execute him for no conceivable reason,” District Attorney Todd Spitzer said in a social media post Thursday.

Jennifer Crumbley appears in court on January 25 in Oxford, Michigan.

“While we will never know what Aiden would have become, we know that the pursuit of justice did not end until his killer was captured and this child murderer was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Eriz faces 40 years to life in state prison when he is scheduled to be sentenced on April 12, the district attorney’s office said.

Lee, who was driving when the shooting happened, was charged with one felony count of accessory after the fact and one misdemeanor count of having a concealed firearm in a vehicle, according to the district attorney’s office. She has pleaded not guilty, CNN previously reported.

Lee is awaiting trial and is out of custody on GPS monitoring after posting a $100,000 bond in July 2021. She faces three years in state prison and one year in an Orange County jail if convicted on all charges.

Last edited:

Mother of 6-year-old killed in California road rage shooting pleads for justice: 'It feels like my life is over'​

Johanna Cloonan remembered her son, Aiden Leos, as a "kind soul."
ByMark Osborne and Zohreen Shah
May 23, 2021, 7:25 AM

aiden-leos-ho-mo-20210522_1621740796584_hpMain_16x9t_992.jpg

2:31

Mother of 6-year-old killed in road rage incident speaks out
“I want to find them and I want there to be justice to be served for my son,” Joanna Cloonan said.

The mother of 6-year-old Aiden Leos is speaking out for the first time since her son was fatally shot in an apparent road rage incident Friday in Orange, California, and calling for justice as the killer remains on the loose.
"They took my son's life away," Aiden's mother, Joanna Cloonan, told ABC News' Zohreen Shah in an interview airing Sunday on "Good Morning America." "He was beautiful and he was kind and he was precious, and you killed him for no reason. And I want to find them and I want there to be justice to be served for my son."
Cloonan was taking Aiden to school in Yorba Linda on Friday morning when she says a white sedan cut her off abruptly while she was in the carpool lane driving northbound on the 55 Freeway. Someone in the vehicle then opened fire on Cloonan's car, striking Aiden in the back seat.
"As I started to merge away from them, I heard a really loud noise," Cloonan said. "And my son said, 'Ow,' and I had to pull over. And he got shot."
PHOTO: Aiden Leos is shown with his older sister Alexis in this undated photo.

Aiden Leos is shown with his older sister Alexis in this undated photo.
Courtesy Cloonan Family
PHOTO: Joanna Cloonan, center, the mother of 6-year-old Aiden Leos, and Alexis Cloonan, left, Aiden's sister, speak to ABC News after Adien was killed in a road rage shooting in Orange, Calif., May 21, 2021.

Joanna Cloonan, center, the mother of 6-year-old Aiden Leos, and Alexis Cloonan, left, Aid...
KABC
California Highway Patrol Officer Florentino Olivera said the boy was struck in "some type of road rage incident" while sitting in his booster seat. The boy's uncle, John Cloonan, said Friday night that a single bullet entered through the back of the trunk and hit his nephew.

Recent Stories from ABC News

"I pulled over and I took him out of the car and I tried to put my hand on his wounds while calling 911. Because he was losing a lot of blood," Joanna Cloonan said.

Aiden was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

"He meant the world to me, and it feels like my life is over," his mother said. "That was my baby. I've never, never thought pain like this could exist."

MORE: 6-year-old boy fatally shot during suspected road rage incident on California highway​

Joanna Cloonan was uninjured in the shooting. She was the only other person in the car.

In a press conference Friday, Olivera asked anyone driving on the freeway in the area near Chapman Avenue at about 8 a.m. to call the CHP's Santa Ana office at 714-567-6000.

Back