Rick Dean

Registered
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jun04/240376.asp

Jones seeks $2 million in discrimination suit
Former police chief accuses city of racial bias and retaliation
By GINA BARTON
gbarton@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 30, 2004

Former Milwaukee Police Chief Arthur Jones has made good on his threats to sue the city for racial discrimination and retaliation. He's asking a federal court to award him $2 million.

Jones, whose seven-year term as chief ended in November, claims he was mistreated because he is black. The harassment worsened when Jones refused to discourage
x-mayoral aide Marilyn Figueroa from filing a sexual harassment complaint against Mayor John O. Norquist, according to the suit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Milwaukee.

Figueroa ultimately f
iled the complaint, which was settled after Norquist acknowl
edged a sexual relationship with her.

Norquist also is named as a defendant in Jones' suit, along with members of the Fire and Police Commission.

Anna M. Pepelnjak, who represents the city and the commission, said the suit has no merit and that the city owes it to the taxpayers - who would be on the hook if Jones wins - to contest it.

"The city has turned a page - in the mayor's office, in the council, in the Police Department. There are so many new faces. It seems a shame that former Chief Jones is stuck in the past," she said.

A second complaint by Jones, that he was not given meaningful consideration for a second term as chief, is not yet part of the lawsuit. Those allegations are under review by th
e U.S. Justice Department and may be added later, according to John E. Machulak, Jones' attorney.

Jones accuses city officials of twisting facts about crime reduction and the Police Department
's budget to make him look bad. The "continuous unfounded public attacks on his character" hav
e damaged his reputation and made it difficult to get another job, according to the lawsuit.

The run-ins with city officials, and news coverage of them, have made it impossible for him to be seriously considered for a chief's job in another city, Jones said Wednesday.

"This cost me over the years," he said. "This cost me my reputation. This cost me my relationship with people. This cost me my relationship with members of the Police Department, and this cost me my relationship with the citizens of Milwaukee."

Jones said he hopes the suit will motivate the city to abandon discriminatory practices he said have existed for at least 36 years. He has given up hope,
though, that it will win him another chance to run the Police Department.

"I've served my time," he said. "I've earned my retirement, and I'm happy in my retirement.&
quot;

Back