Negress Sentenced In Robbery That Left 4 Dead

Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0403/18/metro-95164.htm

Woman sentenced to life in robbery attempt that left four dead

DETROIT -- A woman was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for her role in a convenience store robbery attempt that left four men dead.

Leslie Gordon, 24, acted as the lookout in the Sept. 11 robbery attempt in Westland by Michael Lamont Schofield. Authorities say Schofield shot all the victims.

Gordon was found guilty last month of three counts of first-degree murder, one count of second-degree murder, four counts of felony murder, two counts of assault wi
h intent to murder and two counts of assault with intent to rob while armed.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Annette Berry sentenced Gordon on Wednesday. A first-degree murder conviction carries a mandat

ory
sentence of life in prison without the possibility o
f parole.

Gordon apologized to the victims' families in court Wednesday for what she called bad judgment in choosing her friends.

" want the families to understand, I do feel their pain. And I don't feel that they should have to go through this. I wouldn't want to go through this, she said.

Gordon, of Detroit, was not armed during the crime. But prosecutors said she warned Schofield as people approached the store and unlocked the store's door to let two victims inside during the robbery attempt.

Marvin Barnett, Gordon's attorney, has said his client was a victim who was manipulated into participating in the robbery attempt and was horrified by the killings.

Schofield, of Detroit, later shot and killed hims
elf after crashing his car with Gordon inside while fleeing police. Authorities say the pair were in the midst of a crime spree when the robbery attempt went awry.

Back