Negritude at Memphis jail. 17 accused 12 arrested

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

Deputy Jailers Indicted

When one dozen Shelby County Deputy Jailers went to work on Wednesday, they got a big surprise, they were all arrested. Each is accused of smuggling drugs inside the Shelby County Jail. "It was a surprise to me. I thought he must have a twin, but it's him." Dan Woods is a neighbor of indicted jailer, Curtis Springer. Woods says Springer is the security guard at their apartment complex, "I'm like, you know, you think he's looking out for your ride, your property but he's doing wrong, you know."

Springer is one of 17 people accused in this drug smuggling case: 12 are current deputy jailers, two are former deputy jailers, and three don't work at the jail -- one was a U.S. Postal worker, one w

as an administrative assistant with the Shelby County Sheriff's Office, and
one's job has not been identified.

Prosecutors say that in March 2004 they began an undercover operation to bust drug dealing deputy jailers. They say the accused men and women delivered several packages of fake crack cocaine and OxyContin to prisoners in the jail. One of the accused jailers also reportedly took heroin inside the jail. The jailers were paid anywhere from 200 to 1000 dollars for each delivery. Shelby County Sheriff, Mark Luttrell, wouldn't say if the 17 indicted people were working together, or how the drug dealing came to his attention. But like the folks who live near Curtis Springer, he's saddened the people who are supposed to uphold the law apparently broke the law.

When Eyewitness News talked with FBI officials on Wednesday afternoon, they said they were still tracking down two of the accused smugglers, the rest have been arrested. The sheriff's office says all of its
indi
cted employees are suspended with pay, pending the results of their court cases. Sheriff Luttr
ell tells us that workers are screened when they go into the jail, but he admits those screening procedures may need some reworking to keep drugs out.

Here is the list of those people indicted in this case: Ariane Grant, Tiffany Maxwell, Yulanda Jones, Rita Williamson, Deborah Franklin, Tony Williams, Tammy Lewis, Curtis Springer, Sheila Jones, Monica Johnson, Greg Long, Carolyn Kirk-Wigley, Veronda Jackson, Gregory Reed, Sandra Boyland, Ronald Hughes and Mario Parson.

Wake up America and smell the nigger!
I'm not going for any points until it is determined how many of these are niggers.

T.N.B.

Back