Oh, the IRONY (and Orwellianism): Snowden charged for "spying"--WHEN HE EXPOSED THE SPYS, ho ho ho

Apollonian

Guest Columnist
Oh, the IRONY (and Orwellianism): Snowden charged for "spying"--WHEN HE EXPOSED THE SPYS, ho ho ho

Irony Abounds: Snowden Charged For Spying When What He Really Did Was Reveal Massive Spying

from the that's-not-how-it-works dept

Link: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...he-really-did-was-reveal-massive-spying.shtml

Andy Borowitz, who writes popular satirical pieces, has a great one entitled, "U.S. Seemingly Unaware of Irony in Accusing Snowden of Spying," in response to the news from late last week that Edward Snowden has officially been charged under the espionage act. Like all great satire, it works because the underlying point is so true. Edward Snowden isn't a spy. He exposed massive spying by the US government. And yet he's the one charged with espionage?

At a press conference to discuss the accusations, an N.S.A. spokesman surprised observers by announcing the spying charges against Mr. Snowden with a totally straight face.

“These charges send a clear message,” the spokesman said. “In the United States, you can’t spy on people.”

It does seem quite ridiculous that the response to exposing massive spying to the public is to be accused of breaking a law designed to catch spies. But that's what you get when the government is so hell bent on spying on everyone and not letting anyone know about it.

Re: Oh, the IRONY (and Orwellianism): Snowden charged for "spying"--WHEN HE EXPOSED THE SPYS, ho ho

Rand Paul: Clapper Lied, Snowden Told the Truth

Link: http://www.infowars.com/rand-paul-clapper-lied-snowden-told-the-truth/

Senator warns whistleblower not to cozy up to Russia, China

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
June 24, 2013

Senator Rand Paul told CNN yesterday that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden will be historically viewed as a truth teller whereas Obama national security director James Clapper will be judged as a liar for telling Congress that the NSA was not spying on Americans.

“I would say that Mr. Snowden hasn’t lied to anyone,” Paul told CNN’s Candy Crowley. “He did break his oath of office, but part of his oath of office is to the Constitution, and he believes that, when James Clapper came in March, our national director of intelligence came and lied, that he [Snowden] was simply coming forward and telling the truth that your government was lying. This is a big concern of mine, because it makes me doubt the administration and their word to us when they talk to us, because they have now admitted they will lie to us if they think it is in the name of national security.”

Paul is referring to Clapper’s March testimony in front of the Senate intelligence committee, during which he claimed that the National Security Agency did “not wittingly” collect data on Americans’ communications.

Following Snowden’s revelations about the PRISM program, Clapper tried to clarify his remarks by stating, “I responded in what I thought was the most truthful, or least untruthful, manner by saying ‘no.’”

“Mr Clapper lied in Congress in defiance of the law in the name of security – Mr. Snowden told the truth in the name of privacy, so I think there will be a judgment because both of them broke the law and history will have to determine,” added Paul.

The Kentucky Senator also warned Snowden against cozying up to the Russian or Chinese governments, noting that such a move would only serve to discredit the whistleblower.

“I do think, for Mr. Snowden, if he cozies up to the Russian government, it will be nothing but bad for his name in history,” said Paul. “If he goes to an independent third country like Iceland and if he refuses to talk to any sort of formal government about this, I think there’s a chance that he’ll be seen as an advocate of privacy. If he cozies up to either the Russian government, the Chinese government, or any of these governments that are perceived still as enemies of ours, I think that will be a real problem for him in history.”

Responding to Senator Charles Schumer’s assertion that Snowden is no hero in comparison with someone like Martin Luther King, Paul pointed out that King was never threatened with life in prison.

Snowden flew from Hong Kong to Russia on Sunday, but expectations that he would then fly on to Havana were dashed when it was revealed this morning that Snowden was not on the flight to Cuba. “Snowden had never actually been sighted in Moscow, and there was actually no real evidence that he had ever been in Russia at all,” reports the Guardian.

Paul Joseph Watson is the editor and writer for Infowars.com and Prison Planet.com. He is the author of Order Out Of Chaos. Watson is also a host for Infowars Nightly News.

Related Articles
•Justin Amash: Clapper Lied Under Oath and Should Resign
•Investigate Booz Allen Hamilton, not Edward Snowden
•Snowden: Truth is coming, and it cannot be stopped
•Ron Paul: I’m worried that the government might kill Edward Snowden with a drone
•Snowden: U.S. Gov’t Has Been Hacking China

Re: Oh, the IRONY (and Orwellianism): Snowden charged for "spying"--WHEN HE EXPOSED THE SPYS, ho ho

‘Snowden exposes criminals, criminals are going for him now’

Link: http://rt.com/op-edge/snowden-nsa-crime-gchq-136/

Get short URL
Published time: June 23, 2013 17:57

Pakistani protesters from the United Citizen Action torch a US flag during a protest in Multan.(AFP Photo / S.S Mirza)

[Good vid at link, above]

Information that NSA leaker Edward Snowden is exposing can lead to trials against those involved in war crimes in Afghanistan or Iraq or in money laundering and that is why “the West is so afraid,” investigative journalist Tony Gosling told RT.

The 29-year-old whistleblower – who was charged with espionage in the US for revealing secret surveillance programs - arrived in Moscow from Hong Kong on Sunday. Snowden is on his way to a third country via Russia.

RT: We've seen conflicting reports, some saying Snowden is headed for Venezuela, others suggesting he'll ask for asylum in Ecuador - what do you think will happen?

TG: Obviously, he’s got his options rather limited. The real impact of what he’s done here is only now starting to be realized. Not only is he exposing the criminality of the GCHQ – the signals intelligence part of the British intelligence services – and the NSA, but he is also showing that much of that intelligence contains information which may bring criminal prosecutions. For example, of war crimes, or criminal prosecutions against bankers, people who’ve been doing money laundering, such as Lord Green who was in charge of HSBC. There’s a vast amount of information there.

There’s one thing I can tell you though, is that he won’t be coming to London. He doesn’t want to end up in the Tower of London like Julian Assange, fugitive, is at the moment.

Here in Britain, we have a very poor record. Although the government and many of our media talk about protecting whistleblowers, the fact of the matter is if you blow the whistle on anything really big and important, or, in fact, even some trivial things, you’ll be bullied and you’ll be taken out of your job. And there’s total hypocrisy. One of the reasons for this is the way our entire network of government is paid –tax-payers money that is paying for all this intelligence service stuff.

Sir Malcolm Rifkind, for example, who chairs the Intelligence and Security Committee, is supposed to oversee all this secret stuff. He is actually also employed by financial services firm that works for defense contractors. We are losing any kind of proper democratic oversight of these intelligence services. And that’s one of the things that Snowden has started to expose.

If I were him, I’d actually be thinking about maybe not going to South America but looking at Iceland. It has got a couple of very useful institutions. IMMI, the Iceland’s Modern Media Institute, which has been set up by the parliament to protect whistleblowers and to make sure that Iceland is seen is a safe heaven. There’s also the AWP, the Associated Whistleblowing Press in Iceland. These are really great institutions which have started to emerge now in Europe as a resistance to the intelligence, really, I suppose the military-industrial complex and the financial cults in the European world, taking over so much of our public life, essentially – leaving our democracies in tatters.

RT: Will Moscow play a part in this story or will it be just a transit point for Snowden?

TG: It’ll probably be a transit point, because maybe it would be a little too explosive for him to stay in Moscow for too long. But I’m sure that there are many people in the Russian military who would be very interested in talking to Snowden about some of the leaks that he had.

I think what’s happening now is that there’s a lack of faith in much of what our intelligence services are up to. When we’ve got no proper democratic oversight of them they are running of on their own.

The money system as well is involved in it. This is why I point out that much of this intelligence will be to do with economic warfare. We’ve got many new types of warfare in the world – economic is just one of them. Another one is psychological warfare which is using media wars, attacking the reputations of individuals and countries around the world. So, those are the sorts of information that contained in these PRISM leaks that we are now starting to see.

There have been serious crimes over the last ten years - particularly since 9/11 when the war on terror started – in Afghanistan, Iraq, in places like Yemen, Pakistan where many people were murdered through the use of drones and hellfire missiles completely illegally by mainly three countries – Israel, the US and the UK. But this is what people don’t necessarily understand: there will be information that Edward Snowden has that can actually bring some of these people to trial. That’s why the West is so afraid. If Britain was serious about any kind of real justice, we would be able invite him to London and say, “Yes, you can tell all your secrets or stories to people here in Britain, you’ll be safe here.”

Snowden is actually exposing criminals and the criminals are going for him now. I’m afraid that is the case.

U.S. is governed by Fear at the top. Snowden running Proves he is a major whistleblower.. though spin is saying opposite.

Link: http://sherriequestioningall.blogspot.com/2013/06/us-is-governed-by-fear-at-top-snowden.html

The only reason the U.S. spies on every single thing a U.S. citizen does, is because they obviously live in FEAR! What are they so afraid of? How deep is the corruption that they live in FEAR of what a citizen does and knows? The ACLU put out a statement about the U.S. government Fear today. What is great, is I have been trying to put in words for a few days now about the government's fear of it's citizens. I believe the ACLU did an excellent job of it!

Under President Obama, the United States is “a nation governed by fear,” the American Civil Liberties Union says in an open letter that echoes the criticisms Obama has made of George W. Bush’s national security policies.

“[W]e say as Americans that we are tired of seeing liberty sacrificed on the altar of security and having a handful of lawmakers decide what we should and should not know,” the ACLU writes in a statement circulated to grassroots supporters and addressed to Obama. “We are tired of living in a nation governed by fear instead of the principles of freedom and liberty that made this nation great.”

It’s strange to read in light of Obama’s disavowal of Bush. “[T]oo often — our government made decisions based upon fear rather than foresight, and all too often trimmed facts and evidence to fit ideological predispositions,” Obama said in 2009. “Instead of strategically applying our power and our principles, we too often set those principles aside as luxuries that we could no longer afford. And in this season of fear, too many of us — Democrats and Republicans; politicians, journalists and citizens — fell silent.”

The ACLU is circulating that statement in response to the Justice Department’s efforts to prosecute Edward Snowden, who leaked information about the National Security Agency’s data collection programs before fleeing to Hong Kong (and now, Russia).

“We stand opposed to any attempt to treat Edward Snowden as a traitor,” the ACLU writes. "Snowden is innocent until proven guilty before a court of law and he must be afforded all of his rights as an American citizen. If he is brought to an American court, he must be afforded every opportunity to defend himself and convince a judge that what he did was justifiable and patriotic, even if he is charged with violating laws that themselves pose a threat to our democracy.”

They also live in Fear of losing their power around the world. That is why they spy on every country and the citizens of the world too.

It is always about control of all people. Those at the top are control freaks.

There is no reason other than control and FEAR on the part of those at the top to create an Orwellian society. They are obviously upset the truth has been revealed.

How any citizen can agree with the government and call Snowden a traitor is beyond me. How can a citizen think he is a traitor for revealing the truth of what the U.S. does? Shouldn't we all be rejoicing and calling him a hero?

But the media is creating that spin for the government under their watchful eye, to create a mind set and hive thought on Snowden being a traitor to the U.S.

Do so many U.S. citizens live in Fear too? I can't imagine living in Fear of a bogeyman (created by the government) constantly wanting to get you. But do I blame other countries for having a major resentment against the U.S.? No, not at all. Just look at the countries we have invaded, just look at how the U.S. thinks they are better than every other country. Look at how we have killed, tortured and poisoned other country's citizens. We are not the nice kids on the block, the U.S. is the bully of the block, though they use the media to make the general population believe otherwise. They have made people believe we are the victims of the world.

How is he a traitor? Revealing that the U.S. is a traitor to the constitution? Revealing the U.S. accuses other countries of hacking, yet they are the ones who hack all others? Revealing that the U.S. has created an Orwellian society?

I admire Snowden and I will assume that documents he may have with him that reveals much more of what the U.S. has done against it's citizens and other countries will be revealed through Wikileaks. The Wikileaks team has been heading up his escape from the U.S. torture hands.

I find the spin is hilarious from the government and media about Snowden escaping to Russia and where ever else his is going. He wasn't on the flight to Cuba this morning, so who knows where he really is. (Good for him) The spin saying that he is being counter to being a whistleblower by going to Russia or other countries that don't agree with the U.S. or bow down to their pressure is ridiculous. Look at how the U.S. tortures people and what they have done to Bradley all these years. By Snowden running to those countries that don't fall for U.S. pressure, Proves he is a major whistleblower, not the other way around as the spin is going.

I look forward to more revelations of what the U.S. does to other countries and it's own citizens. All citizens should embrace the truth of how the U.S. government fears it's own people and be showered in truth.

Of course there are many government spin people online in forums etc. putting it in people's mind that Snowden is a setup and government op etc. They have done the same with Assande and have people question Wikileaks. That is their job. They have to try and keep people confused, compared to people embracing that truth is being revealed and those doing so, are Heros!

Other countries are standing up to the U.S. bully and the bully doesn't like that needless to say. They are threatening other countries too. It is a typical reaction from a bully.... when others begin to say "Not anymore."

Here is David Gregory, doing the governments bidding by intimidating real journalist - Saying Greenwald who released the Snowden information should be charged with a felony. This shows how there is no REAL journalism left in MSM, it is only protect the secrets and prosecute any that release the truth. Greenwald's response is Awesome... Slams Gregory for implying that.

So When Will Dick Cheney Be Charged With Espionage?

in Breaking News37 mins ago

Link: http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/so-when-will-dick-cheney-be-charged-with-espionage/44856/

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/so_when_will_dick_cheney_be_charged_with_espionage_20130624/

Posted on Jun 24, 2013

By Juan Cole

This piece first appeared on Juan Cole’s website, Informed Comment.

The US government charged Edward Snowden with theft of government property and espionage on Friday.

Snowden hasn’t to our knowledge committed treason in any ordinary sense of the term. He hasn’t handed over government secrets to a foreign government.

His leaks are being considered a form of domestic spying. He is the 7th leaker to be so charged by the Obama administration. All previous presidents together only used the charge 3 times.

Charging leakers with espionage is outrageous, but it is par for the course with the Obama administration.

The same theory under which Edward Snowden is guilty of espionage could easily be applied to former vice president Dick Cheney.

Cheney led an effort in 2003 to discredit former acting ambassador in Iraq, Joseph Wilson IV, who had written an op ed for the New York Times detailing his own mission to discover if Iraq was getting uranium from Niger. (The answer? No.)

Cheney appears to have been very upset with Wilson, and tohave wished to punish him by having staffers contact journalists and inform them that Wilson’s wife, Valerie Plame, was secretly a CIA operative. While Cheney wasn’t the one whose phone call revealed this information, he set in train the events whereby it became well known. (Because Cheney’s staff had Plame’s information sitting around in plain sight, Armitage discovered it and then was responsible for the leak, but he only scooped Libby and Rove, who had been trying to get someone in the press to run with the Plame story.

What Cheney did in ordering his aides Scooter Libby and Karl Rove to release the information about Plame’s identity was no different from Snowden’s decision to contact the press.

And yet, Cheney mysteriously has not been charged with Espionage. Hmmm….

Donald Trump Says Snowden Should Be Assassinated

Link: http://www.infowars.com/donald-trump-says-snowden-should-be-assassinated/

Extradition process and justice system are too slow for would-be presidential candidate

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
June 24, 2013

Donald Trump, a man who has previously and may once again tout himself as a presidential candidate, believes that the American justice system is too slow and cumbersome to deal with whistleblowers like former NSA analyst Edward Snowden.

Labeling Snowden a “spy”, Trump went on Fox News to advocate his immediate “execution”.

In a vomit inducing interview with Fox and Friends, Trump, in his infinite wisdom, stated:

“You know, spies in the old days used to be executed.”

“This guy is becoming a hero in some circles. Now, I will say, with the passage of time, even people that were sort of liking him and were trying to go on his side are maybe dropping out…”

“We have to get him back and we have to get him back fast. It could take months or it could take years, and that would be pathetic.” The Donald noted.

Blatantly advocating that Snowden be assassinated, Trump suggested that the US would somehow cease to exist, should he be allowed to live and divulge secret information on government surveillance and other unconstitutional practices.

“This guy’s a bad guy and, you know, there’s still a thing called execution,” he said.

“You really have to take a strong… You have thousands of people with access to material like this. We’re not going to have a country any longer.” Trump continued.

Ironically, that reasoning was EXACTLY why Snowden went public with the material on the NSA in the first place – because he could not face living in a country that treats it’s own citizens like suspects and actively spies on all their communications.

Trump also labelled journalists who covered the story “disgraceful”, saying that newspapers should not have printed the details of the revelations.

Trump’s lack of understanding of the Bill Of Rights and the Fourth Amendment will not come as a surprise to regular readers, given his attacks on former Congressman Ron Paul last year.

Despite him being the most constitutionally sound presidential candidate in decades, Trump called Paul a “joke” candidate, and belittled his Libertarian outlook on foreign policy, saying Paul did not care about foreign affairs such as “if Iran has a nuclear weapon that can wipe out Israel.”

—————————————————————-

Steve Watson is the London based writer and editor for Alex Jones’ Infowars.com, and Prisonplanet.com. He has a Masters Degree in International Relations from the School of Politics at The University of Nottingham, and a Bachelor Of Arts Degree in Literature and Creative Writing from Nottingham Trent University.

Over and Over and Over Again, History Has Vindicated Edward Snowden

ByBranko Marcetic

An appeals court recently ruled a mass surveillance program exposed by Edward Snowden was illegal. It's only the latest example of Washington admitting Snowden had, despite being continuously denounced by pundits and politicians, done the right thing by leaking information about the government’s massive surveillance operations.

Link: https://jacobinmag.com/2020/09/edward-snowden-vindicated-surveillance-nsa-whistleblower

Edward Snowden speaks during an interview in Hong Kong, 2013. (The Guardian via Getty Images)

At the heart of the case of Edward Snowden, the NSA whistleblower who leaked a massive tranche of agency documents in 2013 and revealed the breathtaking scope of US government spying, there was always a fundamental absurdity. Snowden was hunted, pushed into exile, and forced to live knowing he could have SEAL Team Six kick down his door any moment and spirit him off to some clammy military prison, all for doing something that authorities and even the people going after him tacitly admitted was a vital public good.

Even as former president Barack Obama absurdly tried to throw Snowden in prison by prosecuting him as a spy, he publicly acknowledged that “in the absence of institutional requirements for regular debate … the danger of government overreach becomes more acute,” and that “this debate” — which Snowden had sparked with his leak — “will make us stronger.” He even put together a panel of national security luminaries and his own loyalists to review surveillance policy, which eventually recommended a range of limits to it.

“In our view, the current storage by the government of bulk meta-data creates potential risks to public trust, personal privacy, and civil liberty,” the panel wrote about the use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act’s (FISA) notorious Section 215, which Snowden revealed had been used to indiscriminately store Americans’ phone metadata in bulk.

Former director of national intelligence James Clapper similarly threw fire and brimstone at Snowden, charging he had caused “profound damage” and made the country “less safe and its people less secure.” And similarly, he also begrudgingly admitted that “some of the conversations this has generated, some of the debate, actually needed to happen,” and that his leak ultimately “forced some needed transparency.” (Clapper famously perjured himself in order to mislead the US public about the scope of government surveillance — a crime he, unlike Snowden, walked away from with no consequence).

The hits kept coming. In 2014, the New York Times editorial board urged clemency for Snowden. “When someone reveals that government officials have routinely and deliberately broken the law, that person should not face life in prison at the hands of the same government,” they wrote. Commentators like Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen and Fox News talking head Juan Williams changed their once-hostile attitudes toward the whistleblower, saying things like: “his actions forced Congress to take responsibility.”

Over the course of 2014–15, Congress debated and eventually passed a bill reforming (in a limited way) the very surveillance Snowden had exposed, replacing the bulk collection of Americans’ phone records with a different program. Last year, it turned out the National Security Agency (NSA) had voluntarily shut that program down, quietly going about its business for months without the program.

Maybe most significantly, courts have found again and again that the Section 215 bulk collection program Snowden exposed was illegal. In December 2013, US District Court judge Richard Leon issued a scathing ruling that suspended the program, writing that “I cannot imagine a more ‘indiscriminate’ and ‘arbitrary invasion’ than this,” and that “the government does not cite a single instance in which analysis of the NSA’s bulk metadata collection actually stopped an imminent attack, or otherwise aided the Government in achieving any objective that was time-sensitive in nature.” [Emphasis in original]

Around the same time, a lawsuit revealed that the FISA court had discovered years earlier that the NSA had serially violated the rules the court had established for handling of the call metadata “since the earliest days” of the program in 2006. Two years later, in 2015, a panel of judges on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the Section 215 program was illegal in a similarly scathing write-up. “Statutes to which the government points have never been interpreted to authorize anything approaching the breadth of the sweeping surveillance at issue here,” wrote judge Gerard E. Lynch, adding that the program was “inconsistent with the very concept of an ‘investigation,’” and that “Congress cannot reasonably be said to have ratified a program of which many members of Congress — and all members of the public — were not aware.”

All of which brings us to last week, when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the bulk collection program was illegal, even possibly unconstitutional, in a ruling peppered with nods to the still-exiled whistleblower. “Snowden’s disclosure of the metadata program prompted significant public debate over the appropriate scope of government surveillance,” it stated.

The ruling also made clear that government officials had misled the public about how effective and important the Section 215 program was to national security. Officials like former NSA director Keith Alexander were only ever able to point to one case where the program had been vital to a terrorist prosecution. This was the case before the court, involving a Somali-American cab driver who sent money to a militia fighting invading Ethiopian troops that threatened his family, but also had ties to Al Qaeda. Yet according to the court, even this paltry example wasn’t evidence the bulk collection had yielded anything important.

“Evidence from the government’s wiretap of defendant Moalin’s phone was not the fruit of the unlawful metadata collection,” went the ruling. “If the statements of the public officials created a contrary impression, that impression is inconsistent with the facts presented in the classified record.”

So there you have it. Courts, establishment-friendly columnists, lawmakers, even the government officials who loathe Snowden most — all have agreed, virtually from the very beginning, that Snowden did a vital public service with his leak.

Not only that, but as a series of court rulings show, for more than a decade these government officials illegally spied on the public, and lied, and even broke the law to keep that spying hidden, and to justify the existence of mass surveillance the government didn’t even need. And we wouldn’t know about any of it were it not for Snowden.

If you truly believe in the rule of law, ask yourself: how does it make sense that Snowden is the one stuck in permanent exile with a stint in prison hanging over him?

Back