Raleigh WF, 17 found shot dead in car; 4 negros charged

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-ne...nection-with-raleigh-girls-murder-police-say/

4 charged, including teen, in connection with Raleigh girl’s murder, police say

Updated: Aug 19, 2020 / 04:34 AM EDT

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Four people — including a 17-year-old — were charged in connection with the murder of a 17-year-old girl who was found dead in a car in a Bojangles’ parking lot Saturday night in Raleigh, police said Tuesday night.

A juvenile petition and secure custody order for murder are being sought for a 17-year-old in connection with the death of Veronica Lee Baker. Keyshara Michelle Deans, 19, Nezyiha Zamir Collins, 19, and Tyreek Qumay Rogers, 18, were all charged with accessory after the fact to murder, a news release said.

Deans, Collins, and Rogers were all taken to the Wake County Detention Center. Collins and Rogers are being held on $500,000 secured bonds each.

Deans is being held on a $1,015,000 secured bond for multiple charges, some of which date back to June and don’t appear to be related to Baker’s murder, according to arrest records.

Just after 8:15 p.m. Saturday, a caller reported finding a girl lying inside a car in the parking lot of the Bojangles’ at 3920 Jones Sausage Rd.

Nezyiha-Collins.jpg
Keyshara-Deans.jpg
Tyreek-Rogers.jpg

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-ne...an-found-dead-from-gunfire-outside-bojangles/

Teen girl ID’d as victim found shot to death outside Raleigh Bojangles’

Updated: Aug 17, 2020 / 08:28 AM EDT

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — Police Sunday identified the victim who was found dead at a Bojangles’ restaurant parking lot Saturday night.

The incident was reported just before 8:20 p.m. in the parking lot of the Bojangles’ at 3920 Jones Sausage Road, according to Raleigh police.
RELATED: Raleigh police investigate deadly shooting outside Bojangles’ restaurant

Veronica Lee Baker, 17, of Raleigh was found dead in a car, police said.

Police Saturday night said the victim died from a gunshot wound.

Veronica-Lee-Baker.jpg

https://www.wral.com/17-year-old-ar...three-others-charged-with-accessory/19242572/

4 arrested in Garner teen's death; father says his daughter knew alleged shooter

Updated August 19, 2020 3:36 p.m. EDT

Raleigh, N.C. — Four people under the age of 20 have been arrested after the weekend killing of 17-year-old Veronica Baker. The youngest was charged with her murder.

Police said Devin Cordell Jones, 17, was accused of killing Baker Saturday night at a Bojangles on Jones Sausage Road in Raleigh. Three others -- Keyshara Michelle Deans, 19, Nezyiha Zamir Collins, 19, and Tyreek Qumay Rogers, 18 -- were charged with felony accessory for helping Jones after Baker's death.

Mugshots_Template_v5-DMID1-5nwdpx0ko-640x360.jpg

According to arrest warrants, Deans drove Jones away from the scene, and Collins and Rogers fled the state with Jones in an attempt to avoid arrest. All were arrested Tuesday evening.

The suspects were being held in the Wake County Detention Center with bonds ranging from $500,000 to $1 million.

Police found Baker in her car in the parking lot before 8:30 p.m. Baker's parents have said they believe she was robbed.

Jim Baker, the victim's father, told WRAL News that his daughter knew her alleged killer and that the two went to school together. He believes that is why his daughter would have let the suspect into her car.

Jones Sausage Road Coverage

All assets associated with the tag: Jones Sausage Road

=======================================================================

Teenigger accepts plea deal in murder of 17-year-old girl, sentenced to up to 22 years in prison​

A judge sentenced Devin Cordell Jones to a prison sentence between 18 years and 22 years, eight months for the second-degree murder of Veronica Baker.
Posted 11:18 a.m. Jul 1, 2022 - Updated 3:06 p.m. Jul 1, 2022

Jones____cropped-DMID1-5vert5fe5-640x360.jpg

A teenager accepted a plea deal on Friday for killing a 17-year-old girl and is due to serve up to 22 years and eight months in prison.

Wake County Superior Court Judge Keith Gregory sentenced Devin Cordell Jones to a prison sentence between 18 years and 22 years, eight months for the second-degree murder of Veronica Baker.

Gregory also requested from Department of Corrections for Jones to not have access to educational and vocational classes for the first five years he is incarcerated.

On Aug. 15, 2020, Baker was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Bojangles at 3920 Jones Sausage Road. Jones was 17 years old at the time.

James Baker, the victim's father, said he thinks Jones should have received a longer sentence.

"Honestly, the system is not designed for the victims," James Baker said. "I think you should’ve gotten a lot longer. I’m glad that he did get the time that he got, and I’m glad the judge did what he did.

"The judge was great. This process has been really really long. We are happy to get it behind us."

Three others — Keyshara Michelle Deans, 19, Nezyiha Zamir Collins, 19, and Tyreek Qumay Rogers, 18 — were charged with felony accessory for helping Jones after Baker's death.

Veronica Baker was a graduate of Garner High School.

James Baker told WRAL News in August 2020 that his daughter knew Jones and that the two went to school together.

On Friday, James and Laura Baker gave impact statements. Laura Baker said she waits for her daughter to come home everyday.

"You took away the biggest part of my soul," Laura Baker told Jones. "[Veronica] was my soul."

James Baker said he was not allowed to go to the coroner's office because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The first day James saw his daughter's body was the day before his birthday.

"We buried her the day after my birthday," James Baker said. "It still seemed like a dream until the headstone was placed, and that's when I lost it.

"I'll never celebrate my birthday again. My birthday is a reminder of the worst day of my life."

James Baker also remembered his daughter.

"My daughter was my everything," James Baker said. "She was the best thing that ever happened to me."

Laura Baker echoed her husband's sentiments.

"We will never have a daughter back, but we can keep her memory alive, and that’s what I try to do," Laura Baker said. "I talked to her every day and that brings me comfort."

Jones' lawyer spoke on his behalf saying that his client was "sorry," and that Jones "didn't know how this happened". When asked if he had anything to say, Jones said no.

Back