Special ed mammy abuses adopted sonnyboy

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

Riviera Beach special-ed teacher charged in alleged abuse of adopted son, 5

Photo at link confirms negritude in the first degree.

A teacher accused of burning and battering her adopted 5-year-old son told Riviera Beach police that the boy hurt himself falling off a three-wheel motorized mountain bike.

The boy told a different account.

"My mama puts a lot of boo-boos on me," the boy told a child abuse investigator after being hospitalized Sunday with a fractured skull, two broken toes and grease burns on his back and face that will require plastic surgery, according to the police report.

The doctor examin

ing the child at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach also found marks on the boy's arms, legs, back and stomac
h that were caused by a cord or folded belt, the report said. The boy had black eyes and a swollen hand with a partially healed cut deep enough to require stitches, though none had been given, according to the report.

The boy initially told police that he fell off the bike, then later said his mother told him to say that "so that he wouldn't get in trouble," according to the report. Authorities did not release the boy's name because he is a juvenile victim of alleged abuse.

"Mama put hot grease on my face and back," the boy told a social services investigator. "Mama slammed the door on my hand."

The adoptive mother, Janice Kashon Reynolds, 45, denied the allegations. She was arrested Sunday on child abuse and neglect charges.
Rey
nold
s was in custody Monday evening after a judge set her bail at $10,000 during a morning hearing.

County Judge Cory Ciklin, calling the allegations "scary, at best," but noting Reynolds had no criminal
record, ordered her to have no contact with the child or any juvenile without court permission.

Reynolds, a 17-year employee of the Palm Beach County School District, is a special education teacher at Forest Hill High School in West Palm Beach, according to school district records.

Reynolds was being reassigned to her home during the investigation, district spokesman Nat Harrington said.

The state Department of Children & Families took custody of the boy after he was released from the hospital, the police report shows. Ciklin said the boy would be temporarily placed with an unspecified family member in Melbourne.

The police report references "past DCF records" about the boy, but indic
ates &qu
ot;there
was never a mention in regards to excessive marks or scars" in those documents.

Marilyn MuÃԚ±oz, a DCF spokeswoman, said state law prevents her from commenting on any past or current department involvement.

Reynolds told police she adopted the boy las
t year. The two lived alone, according to the police report.

No one answered the door or phone Monday at the home where the abuse allegedly occurred, a quaint green house with white trim tucked behind tall hedges in the 1300 block of Avenue H in Riviera Beach.

"She stayed to herself," neighbor Michael Harris said. "She never visited with the neighbors or anything like that."

The boy would occasionally play "just in the front yard, by the front door, never past the front door," but he never saw any type of motorized mountain bike or all-terrain vehicle at the home, Harris said.

"He was so small, I wouldn't think he could ride one," Harris said.<
br>
Re
ynolds at on
e point told police the boy was riding a motorized mountain bike on Thursday when it turned over on top of him, according to the report. She later told police the boy fell off the bike but it never landed on him.

An officer later pressed Reynolds for the bike's location so it could be photographed.

"Her r
esponse was to tell me that the bike was under lock and key and that she wanted a lawyer," the report said.

Reference:
NAACP Unhappy with School Punishment

T.N.B.

Back