Thief busted in brutal subway cello attack released without bail — despite even DA Bragg’s office wanting her behind bars

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Thief busted in brutal subway cello attack released without bail — despite even DA Bragg’s office wanting her behind bars​

By
Social Links for Joe Marino ,
Social Links for Amanda Woods and
Social Links for Alyssa Guzman

Published Feb. 29, 2024, 12:10 p.m. ET

A 23-year-old with eight prior arrests was busted in the shocking, caught-on-video bottle attack on a New York City subway cellist — and was promptly cut loose Thursday despite pleas that she be held on bail.
Amira Hunter was nabbed Wednesday night, 15 days after she allegedly bashed Iain S. Forrest, 29, in the head as he performed in the Herald Square station.
At her arraignment Thursday on second-degree assault charges, Manhattan prosecutors argued for $15,000 cash bail or $45,000 bond, noting that Hunter has failed to appear at three of her five court dates in other criminal cases last year.
“The People have little faith that she will return to court of her own volition,” prosecutor Alexandra Robertson told Judge Marva Brown in Manhattan criminal court.
Hunter, of Brooklyn, also had a bench warrant out for her arrest in two cases involving petit larceny, according to the Manhattan DA’s Office.
Amira Hunter on surveillance footage. 5
Hunter was captured by the NYPD Wednesday evening, 15 days after she allegedly attacked Iain S. Forrest, 29, while he was performing “Titanium” by Sia in the station. DCPI

Her last arrest was in October on grand larceny charges for allegedly stealing two bathing suits worth $2,050 from Bergdorf Goodman, sources said.
She also was arrested twice for assaulting her mom in 2019, sources said.
But despite her criminal history, Brown set Hunter free on supervised release — even though the jurist could’ve set bail on the assault charge, a violent felony, under current law.
Hunter was caught on video allegedly whacking Forrest in the head with his own metal water bottle as he performed “Titanium” by Sia underground on Feb. 13.
Forrest was left traumatized over the terrifying assault.
“I hadn’t touched my cello since being attacked in the NYC subway … until today,” Forrest revealed in an X post Wednesday where he showed off some free gifts from a music company.
Amira Hunter, 23, of Brooklyn leaves court on Thursday. Gabriella Bass
The Mount Sinai PhD student, who was not seriously injured, said he is still “feeling demoralized and saddened” by the incident and can’t “bring myself to play music.”
However, he did manage to play a bit inside his apartment after using the new tools that D’Addario Orchestral, an instrument supply company, sent him.
Last week, Forrest announced he was suspending his subway performances “indefinitely” and called on the NYPD to protect musicians.
Forrest in scrubs and holding his cello. 5
Forrest has stopped playing in the subway “indefinitely” and only picked up his cello for the first time post-attack on Wednesday. Aristide Economopoulos for NY Post
“Two attacks in less than a year is two too much,” he said in an Instagram post. “I have been punched, choked, and now bashed in the head.
“I love performing for you all in the subway, but I’m at my breaking point and can’t take more injury or harm,” he said.
Forrest participates in the MTA’s Music Under New York program, which schedules musicians to hold performances at Big Apple transit hubs.
Forrest and others started a coalition, the Subway Performers Advocacy Group, to demand better security from the city to protect musicians.
Hunter attacking Forrest. 5
Hunter is well-known to police with eight prior arrests and was last taken into custody in October for theft. IainSForrest/X
Hunter attacking Forrest. 5
On Wednesday, the young Brooklynite was charged with assault. IainSForrest/X

“No one in the transit system, including the musicians, should be subjected to violence, and when the NYPD catches up to the person who committed this senseless attack, they will be held accountable,” the MTA said in a statement.

The Post has reached out to Forrest for comment.

Back