Black serial rapes in New Haven and Hamden

J BuckMeister

Registered

2144406_BG1.jpg

Rape investigation in Hamden

How would you like to find out about a rape in your neighborhood one month after the fact? That's the case in Hamden. The attack happened on a dirt pathway behind the middle school and an industrial park.

* by News Channel 8's Tina Detelj

"It's nice to know that something like this happened."

These residents say this is the first time they are hearing of the attack which happened nearly a month ago, and the first time they are seeing a pic
ure of the man police say did it.

"We have children around here, I mean it's quiet they play up and down the street," says Tracey Douglas.
"You would have wanted to know?"

"Something I most definitely wanted to know about."

Police say on July 9th a 19-year-old woman was raped while on the dirt pathway behind Hamden Middle School.

"Things l
ike that happen. I think it scares everybody," Ralph Spaulding said.

Spaulding and his wife Dionne were on their way to church walking along Newhall Street and in an area they were surprised is not as safe as they thought.

"I'm a woman also and it could happen to me."
"They probably had their reasons why they didn't say anything."

The attack comes just weeks before a woman was raped in New Haven's Edgewood Park and another woman in her Division Street home.

New Haven Police say they are awaiting forensic test results to determine if there is a
connection. In the meantime folks around here are on guard.

"I leave her house a lot at night to go home," says Shaynise Rose. "Just be a little more careful."

Po
lice
say there are some similarities and some differences in the descriptions of the suspects in the three rapes. That's why they are waiting for forensic results before they can say whether there is a link.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=2228509&nav=3YeXQJkn

2228509_BG1.jpg

(New Haven-WTNH, Aug. 27, 2004 Updated 11:55 PM ) _ A suspect has been arrested in a recent sexual assault case in New Haven. And News Channel 8 has learned there may be a strong link between this case in another in nearby Hamden.

by News Channel 8's Michael Herzenberg
The top picture on the right is the man New Haven Police say raped a mother last Saturday. Underneath is a sketch of the man Hamden Police sa
raped a teen-age girl last month. Hamden Police say they look alike and 28-year-old Chavis Williams is a strong suspect in their case.

New Haven Police charged Williams with sexual assault and kidna

pping for raping a mother in her home on Davenport Avenue while her 4-year- old son was in the next
room.

"I got kind of scared especially with my grandmother," says Melly Feliciano. "She was always here with her family."

Neighbors were frightened and are now relieved.

"I am so happy," Feliciano said. "That's a relief. Thank God for that."

"I'm glad. I'm very glad about that," says Gloria Holder.

Holder lives across the street from Hamden Middle School and has a 16-year-old daughter. On July 9th, a 19-year-old girl was raped behind the school.

"I don't let her walk around," Holder says. "My mother lives around the corner so I was careful about her walking around here at night and stuff,
you know. Calling her every 5 minutes on her cell phone, stuff like that."

Williams is currently being held on $500,000 bond.

Cops now believe he's a serial-rapist.

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winstopstor..._257074105.html

New Haven Cops Holding Serial Rape Suspect

Sep 13, 2004 7:36 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) NEW HAVEN, Conn. New Haven's police chief confirms that a man arrested in a rape case last month is believed to be the rapist involving in at least three other attacks.

Chief Francisco Ortiz says police believe 28-year-old Chavis Williams is the serial rapist involved in sexual assaults in New Haven and Hamden.

Williams is charged with an August 21st rape of a woman
on Davenport Avenue.

Ortiz says police are awaiting D-N-A- results from the state police laboratory to conclusively link him to other rapes in New Haven and Hamden this summer.

Williams remain

s in custody in lieu of 500-thousand dollars bond.

The four sexual a
ssaults happened over a six-week period in July and August.

Back