Child molester has no regrets about castration

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2440477

Child molester has no regrets about castration
Associated Press

DALLAS - A former YMCA employee accused of sexually assaulting a boy during a field trip says he has no regrets about undergoing voluntary castration.

But David Wayne Jones, only the second inmate to undergo the surgery in Texas, said Monday he's innocent of a sexual assault charge that could send him back to prison for the rest of his life.

Jones, 33, has acknowledged molesting dozens of boys in the early 1990s. He faces a June trial date on
a new charge of aggravated sexual assault, which like previous cases dates to his job at the East Dallas YMCA.

The former counselor is accused of sexually assaulting a 5-year-old day camper in 1990
during a trip t
White Rock Lake in Dallas. The youth came forward after
Jones was imprisoned and prosecutors secured an indictment in 2001.

Dallas County prosecutors, according to Jones, are trying to put him back behind bars because they're embarrassed about the "good" plea deal he got in 1991, when he admitted abusing more than 40 boys and was sentenced to 15 years in state prison.

Jones was paroled last week after serving 13 years, but immediately landed in jail again in Dallas County pending a bond hearing.

"They were going to try to find a way to keep me in prison," he told The Dallas Morning News in a jailhouse interview for today's editions. "I believe this is that way."

Howard Blackmon, a prosecutor who supervises the county&#39
;s felony child abuse cases, denied there was any motivation for the new charge other than the fact that a new victim came forward with the accusation. He said the timing of the charge is still within t
he statute of limitat
ions for child-sex crimes.

"That's ridiculous to even suggest that, and we will be trying him
in front of a jury on this latest indictment," said Blackmon. "The most important people we have to convince would be a jury and a judge hearing the case that's when we're going to speak on any issues that come up."

Jones said he still has some pain from the voluntary castration surgery he underwent last week before he was released from state prison. He said he is still waiting to receive pain medication and antibiotics.

The surgery and chemical castration substances still in his system seem to have helped him control sexual urges, he said.

"I have a high sex drive," Jones said, referring to his past. After exchanging lette
rs with the only other Texas inmate to have undergone surgical castration allowed by a 1997 state law, he felt his urges would be better controlled by surgical removal of his testicles.

&quo
t;The only thing I can do i
s not do it again," he said, adding he feels remorse for survivors of the attacks and their families. "I don't want them to continue to feel the sh
ame and guilt that I've put on them."

Back