Classic TNB: Shoot-out over car rims

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

Shooting started over high priced rims

It was a wild scene spread over three different locations. It started with the theft of the rims and a confrontation over the theft. It ended with two men shot in the street in broad day light. The scene at Crump and Lauderdale: lots of police officers with witnesses talking to investigators behind yellow crime scene tape. It attracted quite a crowd.

"I just think its awful for people to be out here in the streets fighting in the streets or whatever happened. I don't know its awful," said one bystander. Awful it was. Sharon Milam sa
s her mother was caught in it, but wasn't hurt.

"My momma car up the street only thing she called me and told me she in the cross fire of a shooting and we came up

here to see about my momma," Milam said.

It began on Walker, where at least eight sh
ots were fired hitting two men: an 18-year-old shot in the stomach and his 23-year-old uncle shot in the wrist.

"I thought it was a fire cracker at first then it wasn't and I just it the floor," one witness said. Police say the shooting was over eight car rims.

"The rims were stolen from another location and when someone was confronted about it there was an argument that ensued and they ended up getting shot," said Memphis Police spokeswpooman Rhonda Lee.

The rims were stolen from a nearby body shop on South Wellington. Owner Leonard Burnes told Action News 5 he had taken four rims off a car and was preparing to put on four fancy ones. &quo
t;He said they cost about $6,000," said Burnes.

That's four 24-inch $6,000dollar rims. But Burnes says someone broke into his shop and lifted all eight rims.
&qu
ot;The guy who lives in the back say he heard a noise about three o'clock this morning,"
said Burnes.

The 18-year-old shot in the stomach, [
b]Ricco Coats[/b],apparently the owner of the rims, is in the Med. The suspect is not in custody.

You Memphis n-ggers are so predictable!

T.N.B.

Back