Crime stoppers offer reward for spic rapist

Hellcat

Registered

Crime Stoppers reward offered in rape case investigation
Melissa St. Aude
May 4, 2004, 18:33
Email this article
Printer friendly page

Investigators with the Silver City Police Department are hoping that a $1,000 Grant County Crime Stoppers reward will help to solve a case that, so far, has produced few leads.

The reward is being offered for information regarding an alleged home invasion and sexual assault against a Silver City woman April 6.

The victim, who asked not to be identified, told police that her home has been invaded on three occasions, by at least two individuals.

Police found her bound with tape in her home following the most recent attack, on
pril 6.

She told the Daily Press she is still dealing with the emotional scars from her ordeal, and hoped the offer of a reward would help police nab a suspect.

"I hope this case is resolv

ed
soon," she said. "I need for this man who rap
ed me to be caught."

Following the alleged sexual assault, the victim gave police a description of her assailant, and the department issued a "be on the lookout" order for a Hispanic male believed to be about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, between 30 and 35 years of age, and weighing about 185 pounds. He is clean-shaven, has short, dark hair, and has a 4-inch tattoo, above his left wrist, that is described as a Mexican peso sign or initials T and S.

About a week later, with the assistance of the Deming Police Department, Silver City investigators created a composite sketch using computer software.

The victim says the computerized composite does not resemble her attacker.

"I don't want to make a mistake,
" the victim told the Daily Press. "I was very frustrated. I sat in the Deming Police Department for more than an hour creating this composite, and it was very confusing. I sat in front of
a co
mputer loo
king at hundreds of different faces, hair, eyebrows, and, in the end, the picture does not
look like the man who raped me. The eyebrow and nose are the same, but the lips are different because I just couldn't find the right one."

The victim said the rape and home invasions are the latest attempts by a co-worker to intimidate her into quitting her job at an area child-care center.

For months, she said, she has been the target of thefts, threatening letters, home invasions and assault.

Although investigators do not have a suspect in the case, Silver City Police Chief John Calender said: "Solving this case is a priority."

He said he was surprised to learn the victim did not think the composite resembled her attacker.

"She generated the compo
site," Calender said.

Forensic evidence, collected from the victim's home following the April 6 assault, has been sent to the state crime lab for testing, according to Calende
r.
<b
r>"It takes a
nywhere from four to six weeks to get the results back," he said. "We expect to hear something in about three to five weeks."

He said th
ere have been no other leads in the case, and to make an arrest, investigators would require a confession from the attacker or forensic evidence tying a suspect to the crime.

The victim said she has been left with a nearly $3,000 hospital bill for treatment she received following the assault.

She has begun counseling to help her deal with her emotional pain.

Until the case is resolved, the victim, along with two others believed to be involved in the case, have been placed on administrative leave by their employer.

"I really want this to be over," she told the Daily Press. "I want to get bac
k to work, and I want my life to return to normal."

Callers to Grant County Crime Stoppers may remain anonymous. A reward will be paid for information that leads to the ar
rest of a su
spect. Those with informat
ion may call 538-5254.

http://www.thedailypress.com/artman/publis...ticle_265.shtml

Back