Cuddly kitten, stoned & burned, dies in 'atrocious act of cruelty'

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/h...rned__dies_in__atrocious_act_of_cruelty_.html

Cuddly kitten, stoned & burned, dies in 'atrocious act of cruelty'
By WILLIAM BENDER
Philadelphia Daily News

benderw@phillynews.com 215-854-5255

Even after a 6-week-old kitten was pelted with stones and set on fire in a Chester alley Saturday afternoon, it didn't lash out. The brown tabby greeted Dave Schlott, a Delaware County animal control officer, by climbing up his shirt and snuggling against his neck.

"It was cuddling, so I thought I'd name it Cuddles," Schlott said. "It was a really, really good-natured kitten."

Cuddles was being treated at Old Marple Veterinary Hospital, where he was initially expected to make a quick recovery.

But the kitten took a turn for the worse and died yesterday morning.

"Anytime you see an animal that was intentionally harmed, it's always a very upsetting situation," said Tabatha Gordon, assistant operations manager at the Delaware County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Gordon said that several people had called the SPCA over the weekend to ask about adopting Cuddles.

Chester police Capt. Joseph Massi said that 10 to 15 teenagers were huddled in a circle around the cat in an alley Saturday on West Fifth Street, but they scattered when a police car approached.

The cat sustained second- or third-degree burns on its right ear, in addition to burns on its back. The sickos likely used lighter fluid or some other accelerant, Schlott said.

"You know when you squeeze a can and a stream comes out? It looks like they went from the top of its forehead down the spinal column to its tail," he said. "And then they lit it."

Massi called it an "atrocious act of cruelty." Police have identified several persons of interest, but no arrests had been made as of yesterday afternoon.

Cuddles was the latest in a string of cruelty victims in the area. In July, a stray orange tabby was set ablaze in Darby and died of its injuries.

Last month, a cat was wrapped in duct tape in North Philadelphia after wandering into a 19-year-old nigger's yard, according to the Pennsylvania SPCA. The cat, since named "Sticky," has been adopted.

The following week, a school bus driver was charged with misdemeanor animal-cruelty counts for tossing kittens out of a bus in Port Richmond.

Schlott said that it's unclear which injuries led to Cuddles' death, but speculated that he could have suffered internal injuries from the stones that were thrown at him.

"I don't know what makes people want to do that," he said. "If they do that to animals they're going to do that to a kid."

14!

If I ever caught ANYone doing that to an animal, I would beat the absolute f**king **** out of them THEN set them on fire AFTER I castrated them.

DD

Chester teen held in torture, death of 6-week-old kitten
By WILLIAM BENDER
Philadelphia Daily News
Posted on Sat, Oct. 10, 2009

20091010_dn_0kr9i1nl.jpg

Morrison

What kind of "animal-lover" would throw rocks at a kitten, then pin it down and set it on fire?

That would be Rishawn "Bean" Morrison, according to Chester police.

Cops arrested the 19-year-old Thursday, pulling him out of class at Chichester High School and charging him with animal cruelty and disorderly conduct in the torture of "Cuddles," a 6-week-old brown tabby that later died.

"He asked what it was about, then said, 'That ain't me. I'm an animal-lover," Detective Capt. Joseph Massi said yesterday. "We have information that says otherwise."

Two witnesses told police that they were with Morrison Saturday in a rear alley on West Fifth Street when he began throwing stones at the kitten, according to the criminal complaint.

Morrison then "held the kitten down and set it on fire," the complaint states.

No one answered the door yesterday at Morrison's home on Galbraith Avenue, but a neighbor said the teen hadn't caused trouble before.

"We've never had a problem with him," said the woman, who asked not to be identified. "I don't know what got into him."

Morrison, who was transported to Delaware County Prison after failing to post 10 percent of $50,000 bail, is due in court next week for his preliminary hearing.

Chester police and the Delaware County SPCA have received phone calls from people offering reward money - it was up to $1,500 yesterday afternoon - and tips about the incident.

"I'm thrilled that they were able to catch the perpetrator," said SPCA spokeswoman Fran Franchi. "We need to make sure that people understand this is a crime and they will be arrested and they will be prosecuted."

In recent months, several other cats have been severely abused in Delaware County, including a 6-week-old kitten that was thrown from a moving vehicle in Brookhaven; an orange tabby that was set ablaze in Darby Borough, and an 8-week-old kitten that was shot with a BB gun in Chester.

Philadelphia logged two cases last month: A cat later named "Sticky" was wrapped in duct tape in North Philadelphia, and three kittens were tossed from a bus in Port Richmond.

Massi said he appreciates the cooperation his department received from the public in tracking down Cuddles' alleged attacker. Yet when it comes to solving homicides, the phone lines rarely light up.

"We're glad to get the cooperation," Massi said, "but if we had the same type of cooperation for serious crimes involving humans, maybe we wouldn't have such a violent society."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/h...d_in_torture__death_of_6-week-old_kitten.html

Back