DEI boss faces Ohio state probe over ‘decentering whiteness’ Forbes article

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

DEI boss faces Ohio state probe over ‘decentering whiteness’ Forbes article​

By
Social Links for Melissa Koenig

Published Nov. 24, 2023, 8:53 a.m. ET

A Diversity, Equity and Inclusion consultant is facing a state probe in Ohio after penning an article for Forbes about “decentering whiteness.”
The column by Janice Gassam Ascre, who heads the firm BWG Business Solutions, was blasted by Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance as he announced an investigation into whether she or her business ever received taxpayer money.
“I’m just done with this s—. It’s racist and it’s gross,” the senator posted on X, as he shared Ascre’s Forbes column.
Vance said the outlet “should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it,” and added that he “directed my staff to investigate whether her ‘business’ receives any public money from Ohio.”
Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy also called Ascre’s column “racism without the possibility of reverse racism.”

get

The video player is currently playing an ad. You can skip the ad in 5 sec with a mouse or keyboard
In her column, Ascre talks about dismantling the systems that prioritize “white dominant culture to the detriment of non-white groups and cultures.”

Janice Gassam Ascre is pictured holding her book, Decentering whitenesss in the workplace. 3
The article by Janice Gassam Ascre was blasted as “racist” and “gross” by the Senator J.D. Vance.Janice Gassam Asare / Instagram
She argues that it is necessary to dismantle these systems in US workplaces, because they contribute to “inequity and injustice within” an organization.

“It has been given many names, including the ‘white gaze’ and ‘whiteness as the default,’” Ascre writes.

“Because white-centering is often left unexamined and unchecked, equity and justice have continued to evade organizations.”

GOP Sen J.D. Vance's X post about the column. 3
Sen. J.D. Vance said he has ordered a state investigation into the author and her business.J.D. Vance / X
She then goes on to advocate for education, objectivity and accountability in the workforce.

Responding to Vance’s criticism of the article, Ascre suggested the senator has “no idea” what he is talking about.

“I would say this: It’s obvious that the senator has now idea what decentering whiteness actually means and how it’s about the system of whiteness and not one white person or white people,” she told Fox News Digital.

Sen. J.D. Vance, R-Ohio, asks a question during a Senate Special Committee on Aging hearing, Thursday, May 18, 3
Vance said the investigation is over whether the author or her business ever received taxpayer money.AP
“I expound on what decentering whiteness in the workplace means in my book of the same name, which I’m happy to send to the senator and to anyone else [who] is confused.”

She also posted a screenshot of the Fox News story about the backlash she is facing for the column with a crying/laughing emoji.

Forbes did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.

Back