FBI: NYS Assembly Speaker Jew Vermin Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/sheldon-silver-may-be-finally-sent-to-prison-in-june/

Sheldon Silver may be finally sent to prison in June
By Ben Feuerherd
April 3, 2020 | 6:54pm

Former State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver will be sentenced in June for his most recent conviction in a corrupt kick-back scheme — despite the disgraced pol’s attempts to delay the hearing.

Manhattan federal court Judge Valerie Caproni set a June 25 sentencing date for Silver, who is facing time for wire fraud, extortion and monetary transactions involving crime proceeds.

The charges stem from Silver supporting a real estate developer’s position on rent regulations in exchange for bribes.

In January, an appeals court vacated Silver’s conviction on separate charges related to allegations he allegedly funneled state funds to a cancer researcher in return for patient referrals to Silver’s law firm.

Judge Caproni’s sentencing order comes days after the same appeals court denied Silver’s bid to delay his sentencing as he prepares to take his appeal to the Supreme Court.

Silver was convicted in the schemes in 2015, but had the case overturned on appeal. He was retried and convicted yet again in 2018.

As of January, he was still living on the Lower East Side on public funds, collecting a $7,000 monthly state pension. :mad:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/18/sheldon-silver-begs-judge-for-leniency-ahead-of-sentencing/

Sheldon Silver begs judge for leniency: ‘I don’t want to die in prison’
By Lia Eustachewich
June 18, 2020 | 12:57pm

Sheldon Silver — once one of the most powerful politicians in Albany who’s been twice convicted of corruption yet still awaits sentencing — begged a judge for leniency in a handwritten letter that pleaded, “I don’t want to die in prison.” :cry:

The disgraced longtime Assembly speaker — who federal prosecutors want locked away for seven years but could get hit with up to 20 years — scrawled the more than 780-word note on letterhead bearing his name ahead of his sentencing next month.

“Your Honor, I do not want to die in prison,” the 76-year-old wrote to Manhattan federal court Judge Valerie Caproni in the letter dated Wednesday. “This case has been going on for more than 5 years, but I feel like I have aged 15 or 20 years. My fate is in your hands.”

Silver — who took $4 million in bribes in exchange for supporting a real estate developer’s position on rent regulations — then lamented about ruining his legacy “by using my office for personal financial benefit.”

“I say, without hesitation, that regardless of how complicated and nuanced legal questions are answered, which are frankly beyond me, my use of my office for personal gain was improper, selfish, and ethically indefensible, and it undermined the trust of the people of New York,” he continued. “What I did was wrong.”

Silver, who enjoyed his powerful status as one of Albany’s so-called “three men in a room” along with the governor and state Senate Majority Leader for more than 20 years, was first convicted on federal corruption charges in 2015 and sentenced to seven years.

That conviction was thrown out on a technicality — but Silver was found guilty on all seven counts a second time in 2018. An appeals court vacated some of those convictions, including that he funneled state funds to a cancer research firm in return for patient referrals to his law firm.

At his last sentencing, Caproni asked Silver what message he’d send to current Assembly members.

“It is this: beware of any sense of entitlement,” Silver wrote in his letter. “I developed a sense of entitlement and it seemed normal. I think that sense of entitlement was easier to justify because I thought I was keeping the best interests of the State and my constituents at heart. Many will now doubt that, and that is my own doing.

“If I was doing good for New York, after all of the years of work and sacrifice, I felt entitled to the financial windfalls that came my way while doing what I thought was good work. But I was dead wrong. I was hurting the State I love by undermining public confidence in our public officials and institutions, which we need now more than ever.”

Prosecutors want Silver to get another seven years when he is finally sentenced on July 20. But his lawyers have asked for a “substantial term of home confinement” and community service, according to court filings.

Silver wrapped up his letter with an apology to the judge, prosecutors and his family.

“And above all, I apologize to the people of New York,” he wrote. “I am sorry.”

Silver has remained out on bail since his arrest in 2015.

His lawyers said his health is worsening.

“As an obese, 76-year-old man with a history of cancer, chronic kidney disease, and other health ailments, Mr. Silver is among those most at risk of dying from COVID-19,” they wrote in a filing Wednesday.

Silver previously apologized for his crimes ahead of his first sentencing, saying he “failed the people of New York.”
Filed under corruption , manhattan federal court , ne

https://nypost.com/2020/07/14/sheldon-silver-must-appear-in-court-for-sentencing-judge/

Sheldon Silver must appear in NYC courtroom for sentencing, judge rules
By Rebecca Rosenberg and Bruce Golding
July 14, 2020 | 8:43pm

Crooked ex-pol Sheldon Silver failed Tuesday to convince a judge that the coronavirus pandemic makes it too dangerous for him to get re-sentenced in person for his $4 million bribery scheme.

Manhattan federal Judge Valerie Caproni rejected a request by the once-powerful, former Assembly speaker to appear before her by video-conference on Monday.

“The Courthouse has reopened to the public and implemented screening at entry, mask and social-distancing requirements, and sanitation protocols, among other precautions,” Caproni wrote.

“This Court is currently holding in-person proceedings where those measures are all observed. Accordingly, it is the Court’s preference to conduct Mr. Silver’s resentencing at the Courthouse.”

In a letter last month, the Manhattan Democrat’s lawyers claimed that “barring some unforeseen medical breakthrough … it is simply not safe” for Silver, 76, to show up in court because he’s “among the segment of the population most at risk to suffer severe illness and death from this virus.”

In addition, they said, he “suffers from several pre-existing conditions that greatly increase his risk,” including his “diagnosis and treatment for cancer within the past five years.”

Silver was found guilty of corruption charges in 2015 and was sentenced to seven years in prison, but was allowed to remain free while he mounted an appeal that resulted in his conviction being overturned on a technicality.

He was convicted a second time in 2018, but again remained free for another appeal that resulted in some of the counts being dismissed.

Silver — who’s collecting a $7,000-a-month pension — last month pleaded for leniency in a desperate, hand-written letter to the judge.

“Your Honor, I do not want to die in prison,” he wrote.

“This case has been going on for more than 5 years, but I feel like I have aged 15 or 20 years. My fate is in your hands.”

Silver’s lead defense lawyer, James Loonam, declined to comment.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/20/disgraced-ex-assembly-speaker-sheldon-silver-to-be-sentenced-monday/

Disgraced former Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver to be sentenced today
By Yaron Steinbuch
July 20, 2020 | 6:51am

Crooked ex-pol Sheldon Silver is scheduled to show up Monday afternoon before a Manhattan judge to be re-sentenced in a $4 million bribery scheme – after his request to appear via video feed was rejected.

The disgraced longtime Assembly speaker failed in his bid last week to convince the federal judge to allow him to appear remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The Courthouse has reopened to the public and implemented screening at entry, mask and social-distancing requirements, and sanitation protocols, among other precautions,” Judge Valerie Caproni wrote in her ruling.

“This Court is currently holding in-person proceedings where those measures are all observed. Accordingly, it is the Court’s preference to conduct Mr. Silver’s re-sentencing at the Courthouse,” she added.

The 76-year-old, once one of the most powerful politicians in Albany, was convicted in 2015 of misusing his powerful position to rake in bribes and sentenced to seven years behind bars.

The verdict was tossed on a technicality while he remained free on appeal. He was retried in 2018 and convicted again. A few of the counts were tossed in his appeal.

Prosecutors have argued that Silver still deserves the seven-year sentence. He insists he should not be serve any time in prison, given his age and the health risks associated with COVID-19.

Silver’s appearance is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Disgraced Jewish Former NY State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver sentenced to 6.5 years in prison
SheldonSilver-2020.jpg

https://nypost.com/2020/07/20/sheldon-silver-sentenced-to-more-than-6-years-in-prison/

Sheldon Silver sentenced to more than 6 years in prison for bribery scheme
By Ben Feuerherd and Rebecca Rosenberg
July 20, 2020 | 2:59pm | Updated

sheldon-silver-sentenced-1.jpg

Sheldon Silver (center) leaves court after his sentencing. Stefan Jeremiah

Crooked Albany power broker Sheldon Silver will finally go to prison for his crimes — but not for another month, a judge ruled Monday as she sentenced the former Assembly speaker to 6 1/2 years in federal prison, nearly five years after he was first convicted of corruption.

Judge Valerie Caproni handed down the sentence Monday afternoon in front of Silver, 76, who was ordered to appear in person in the courtroom despite an effort by his lawyers to hold the hearing remotely amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“This was corruption pure and simple,” Judge Caproni told the disgraced ex-speaker of the New York state Assembly, whom she had already sentenced twice.

“The time, however, has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper,” she said before delivering the 78-month sentence and a $1 million fine, which the ruined kingmaker received with a blank expression.

Before the term was handed down, Silver stood up, pulled down his face mask with a latex-gloved hand and briefly addressed the court.

“I was so angry with myself and still am. But now that anger has mainly turned to sadness,” he said in a feeble voice as his wife, Rosa Silver, watched from the gallery. “My use of my office for personal gain was improper, selfish and ethically indefensible.”

He said he had worked tirelessly to help a lot of people over 35 years but had “destroyed that legacy” with his criminal acts.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

Silver’s lawyer, James Loonam, had pushed for a “substantial term of home confinement and rigorous community service” in light of the pandemic. :rolleyes:

He argued that Silver was at “very serious risk” if he contracts the virus in custody, given his advanced age and poor health.

“He doesn’t deserve a premature death or to die in prison,” said the lawyer, adding that Silver had also done “a lot of good” while in office. :rolleyes:

The judge ordered Silver to surrender Aug. 26 at noon to the facility designated by the Bureau of Prisons in the coming weeks. His lawyers have requested he serve his time in FCI Otisville, in Orange County, NY.

Prosecutors had pushed for seven years, the same term Caproni gave him before a higher court overturned part of Silver’s conviction.

“He abused his office, he did it for profit, he did it for at least 15 years,” said U.S. Attorney Daniel Richenthal. “The only reason he stands to be sentenced on fewer counts today is because he was so good at hiding what he did.”

The sentencing ended years-long battle by Silver, once the most powerful politician in Albany, to avoid prison after being twice convicted by a jury on all counts related to corrupt kickback schemes he ran while in office.

Silver’s first conviction was fully overturned in 2017 after an appeals court ruled the jury instructions in the trial did not meet a new definition of corruption that had been adopted by the Supreme Court.
see also
Sheldon Silver begs judge for leniency: 'I don't want to die in prison'

Silver, a Democratic from the Lower East Side, was retried by prosecutors, convicted on all counts and sentenced to seven years in prison in 2018 for accepting nearly $4 million in bribes in two separate schemes.

He remained free on bail while appealing the ruling — but earlier this year the Second Circuit Court of Appeals upheld his conviction on four of the charges.

In their opinion, a panel of three Second Circuit Court judges unanimous affirmed that Silver had illegally used his office to benefit two real estate developers in exchange for cash.

“The Real Estate Scheme presents a significantly different factual scenario that more closely resembles classic bribery‐based crimes,” wrote Judge Richard Wesley on behalf of the panel.

In the scheme, Silver allegedly steered the real estate developers, Glenwood Management and the Witkoff Group, to do tax business with a law firm that gave Silver hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In exchange, Silver backed legislation that benefited real estate developers, including provisions to 2011 rent legislation that were specifically tailored to benefit Glenwood.

In the charges that were vacated, prosecutors alleged that Silver directed the state health department to steer $500,000 in grants to Columbia University cancer doctor Robert Taub.

Taub then agreed to refer mesothelioma patients to Weitz & Luxenberg, a law firm where Silver worked. Silver allegedly gained millions of dollars from the scheme, but the convictions were thrown out since the bulk of the corrupt activity was outside the statute of limitations.

For the misconduct that wasn’t time-barred, the panel ruled that prosecutors had failed to sufficiently prove a quid pro quo.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/sheldon-silver-threatens-to-punch-post-photographer/

Prison-bound Sheldon Silver threatens to punch out Post photographer
By Bruce Golding
August 24, 2020 | 8:41pm | Updated

sheldon-silver.jpg

Sheldon Silver making a fist at a New York Post photographer today. Rashid Umar Abbasi

Crooked ex-pol Sheldon Silver almost added assault to his criminal record on Monday evening — when he blew his stack at a Post photographer.

The prison-bound former state Assembly speaker emerged from his apartment building on Manhattan’s Lower East Side shortly after 6 p.m. and recognized the shutterbug from past encounters.

“Get away from me! You have enough photographs!” he said from behind a safety mask.

The disgraced Democrat — who’s set to start serving a 6-1/2-year sentence for corruption on Wednesday — then balled up his plastic-gloved right hand into a fist and threatened to take a swing.

“I’m gonna punch you in your mouth!” he said.

“You have enough pictures! I’m gonna break your camera!”

At that point, Silver’s son, Edward Silver, pulled up in a gray Toyota Camry and managed to pacify his pop.

“Dad! Dad! Calm down!” Edward said.

But Silver, 76, couldn’t resist getting in one last dig at the journalist — as well as New York’s favorite tabloid.

“You’re a scumbag and the newspaper you work for!” he said while getting into the car.

Despite the mistreatment, the photographer politely helped the aging felon shut the passenger-side door, prompting thanks from both father and son.

The men drove away, only to return about 25 minutes later, with Edward hopping into a parked Chrysler Sebring and pulling out of the space, and Silver maneuvering the Camry into it.

Asked when he planned to leave for prison, Silver cryptically replied, “I left yesterday,” then went back into his building.

Silver spent more than five years battling charges of fraud, extortion and money laundering following his blockbuster, 2015 arrest in a pair of schemes that netted him nearly $4 million in bribes and kickbacks.

He avoided prison by appealing his jury conviction later that year, and again by mounting another appeal after he was convicted again in 2018.

But justice was finally served when Manhattan federal Judge Valerie Caproni sentenced him for a third time last month and ordered him to report to prison despite defense claims that he could contract a deadly case of the coronavirus there.

“This was corruption pure and simple,” Caproni said.

“The time, however, has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper.”

Silver’s lawyer, James Loonam, declined to comment on the situation but said, “We understand the press has an important job to do and ask that reporters and photographers conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner.”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/26/former-assembly-speaker-sheldon-silver-finally-going-to-prison/

Sheldon Silver finally going to prison after stunning fall from power
By Ben Feuerherd
August 26, 2020 | 11:47am | Updated

It’s finally a cell for Shel.

Disgraced former Albany power broker Sheldon Silver surrendered to federal prison on Wednesday — bringing an end to a stunning fall from power by the one-time speaker of the New York Assembly.

Silver turned himself in Wednesday morning at Otisville Correctional Facility, a medium-security federal prison about 80 miles northeast of New York City, a spokesperson for the federal Bureau of Prisons said.

For the past five years, Silver — who for decades wielded immense power in Albany as “one of the three men in the room” — dodged serving his time while he mounted appeals of his two corruption convictions.

But his prospects of freedom ended last month, when Manhattan federal Judge Valerie Caproni sentenced him to 6½ years in prison.

Caproni, calling Silver’s conduct in office “corruption pure and simple,” dismissed final attempts by his legal team to delay his prison term because of the coronavirus pandemic at the sentencing hearing.

“The time … has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper,” Caproni said before handing down the sentence.

Silver, a 76-year-old Democrat from the Lower East Side, was convicted of taking nearly $4 million in bribes and kickbacks in two corrupt schemes during his time in office.

He was convicted twice for a pair of schemes — supporting a real estate developer’s position on rent regulations for “referral-fee” kickbacks in one, and funneling state funds to a cancer research firm in return for patient referrals to his legal practice in the other.
see also
Sheldon Silver sentenced to 7 years in prison for corruption

His first conviction was fully overturned in 2017 after an appeals court ruled the jury instructions in the trial did not meet a new definition of corruption that had been adopted by the Supreme Court.

After a jury again convicted him 2018, an appeals court struck down his conviction on the charges related to the cancer research scheme — but upheld his conviction related to the real estate scheme.

At his sentencing hearing in July, Silver admitted his crimes, claiming to be angry and sad for selling his elected office for cash.

“I was so angry with myself and still am. But now that anger has mainly turned to sadness,” he said as his wife, Rosa Silver, watched from the gallery.

“My use of my office for personal gain was improper, selfish and ethically indefensible.”

But the disgraced ex-pol had begged the judge for leniency in a letter prior to his sentencing.

“This case has been going on for more than 5 years, but I feel like I have aged 15 or 20 years. My fate is in your hands,” Silver wrote to Caproni in June.

“Your Honor, I do not want to die in prison,” he added.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/25/supreme-court-will-not-hear-sheldon-silvers-appeal/

Supreme Court will not hear ex-politician Sheldon Silver’s appeal
By Ben Feuerherd
January 25, 2021 | 10:34am | Updated

The Supreme Court will not hear an appeal by crooked former New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who is serving a more than six-year federal prison sentence after being convicted on corruption charges. :D

Silver’s Supreme Court appeal was a last-ditch effort by the former Albany powerbroker, who was twice convicted by New York juries on all counts related to kickback schemes he ran while in office.

The Lower East Side Democrat was passed over for a pardon by President Trump after several news reports stated Trump was considering the move during his last hours in office.

Silver had remained free from prison while waging a years-long battle to overturn his convictions on the corruption charges.

In 2017, a New York appeals court fully overturned his first conviction after it ruled the jury had been given improper instructions about the definition of corruption.

At his sentencing last year, Silver finally admitted wrongdoing and apologized for using his office to profit financially.

“My use of my office for personal gain was improper, selfish and ethically indefensible,” he said in Manhattan federal court.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/sheldon-silver-returns-to-nyc-home-after-early-prison-release/

Sheldon Silver returns to NYC home in wheelchair after early prison release
By Reuven Fenton and Ben Feuerherd
May 4, 2021 | 6:12pm | Updated

sheldon-silver-home-38.jpg

Former Speaker of the New York state Assembly Sheldon Silver returns home from federal prison on May 4, 2021.
Gabriella Bass

A frail and thin Sheldon Silver was wheeled into his Manhattan apartment building in a wheelchair Tuesday afternoon after being released from prison on furlough earlier in the day.

The ex-speaker of the New York State Assembly and convicted swindler was accompanied by his wife, Rosa Mandelkern, as he made his way into his Grand Street building on the Lower East Side.

The disgraced politician :eek:rth: didn’t speak as he returned home, wearing a gray baseball cap, gray sweatshirt and a blue surgical mask.

His friend and supporter Akiva Homnick :eek:rth: met Silver and his wife in front of the building and later told reporters that the crooked lawmaker was “thrilled” to be home.

“He wasn’t super smily but I’m sure inside he’s thrilled and ecstatic to be out,” Homnick said.

“I’m sure he’s thrilled to be home. Any time you don’t have to be in solitary confinement or even in prison it’s always a step in the right direction,” he added.

Homnick said Silver spent a large chunk of his time behind bars in solitary confinement, as he was forced to quarantine every time he saw a doctor.

Silver was cut loose on furlough from Otisville Correctional Facility — after serving less than a year of his his 6 1/2-year sentence :mad: — while waiting for the Bureau of Prisons to decide if he’ll be eligible to serve the remainder of his term on home confinement.

The BOP was given broad authority to release inmates to home confinement last year amid the growing coronavirus pandemic.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/ny-politicians-react-to-sheldon-silvers-prison-release/

NY politicians react to Sheldon Silver’s prison release
By Carl Campanile and Bernadette Hogan
May 4, 2021 | 4:36pm | Updated

New York’s Republican leader on Tuesday blasted reports that disgraced ex-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has been released from prison.

“The early release of Sheldon Silver is a gross miscarriage of justice and slap in the face to every New Yorker. He abused his power to personally profit to the tune of $4 million,” said NY GOP chairman Nick Langworthy.

“New Yorkers need to send a message that they are fed up with corrupt politicians escaping accountability while taxpayers are left holding the bag,” he added.

Some other politicians from both sides of the aisle were more sympathetic to Silver, who is 77 years old and was cut loose from an upstate lockup by the Bureau of Prisons, which has expanded authority to release prisoners to home confinement because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Democratic State Assemblywoman Yuh Line Niou, who succeeded Silver in his Lower East Side seat, said no prisoner should face a death sentence because of the coronavirus. :rolleyes:

“No New Yorker should die from the pandemic in jail. I know he is in the high risk population as he is 77 and has pre-existing conditions and we should be taking steps for all incarcerated New Yorkers in at risk populations to be safe from covid,” she said.

Republican state Sen. Jim Tedisco added that he would like to show compassion for everyone, including Silver.

“I know my constituents like to see justice done. And I think justice has been proven. There’s an opportunity to show some compassion for somebody who may be in a very difficult strait health wise,” he said.

Silver — who has served less than a year of his 6 1/2-year sentence — was cut loose from Otisville Prison, in Orange County, New York, and released to his home on furlough, while awaiting a decision on whether he’ll be able to serve out his whole term in home confinement.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/sheldon-silver-ordered-back-to-prison-after-release-on-furlough/

Sheldon Silver ordered back to prison days after release on furlough
By Ben Feuerherd
May 6, 2021 | 2:48pm | Updated

It’s back to the cell for Shel.

Disgraced ex-state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver will be sent back to prison — just days after being allowed back home on furlough, a source said Thursday.

The Democrat from Manhattan’s Lower East Side will have to head back to lockup after the feds decided he could not serve out his sentence in home confinement.

He will have to report back to Otisville Prison as soon as Thursday afternoon, NBC New York reported.

Silver was cut loose Tuesday just eight months into his more than six-year sentence. Officials from the Bureau of Prisons had let him out on furlough while deciding if he could serve the remainder of his time in home confinement.

Rabbi Akiva Homnick :eek:rth:, a friend of Silver’s, on Thursday said only that Silver’s family is “focusing on his health.”

His release had prompted outrage from New York GOP leaders — including by mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, who stopped by the disgraced pol’s apartment Wednesday afternoon to confront the former powerbroker and put up posters calling for him to be locked up again.

“You know you belong back in jail. You should be in Otisville,” Sliwa told Silver through his building’s intercom system.

New York GOP chairman Nick Langworthy said Tuesday that Silver’s early release was an insult to residents across the Empire State.

“The early release of Sheldon Silver is a gross miscarriage of justice and slap in the face to every New Yorker. He abused his power to personally profit to the tune of $4 million,” Langworthy said.

After his release Tuesday, the BOP declined to say exactly why he was sprung — or why he was a candidate for home release — but noted it has the power to “transfer inmates to their home on furlough for periods of time while they may continue to be considered for home confinement designation.”

The agency did not immediately respond to request for comment Thursday.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/28/sheldon-silver-transferred-to-federal-prison-medical-facility/

Disgraced pol Sheldon Silver transferred to prison medical facility

By Ben Feuerherd
May 28, 2021 | 12:55pm | Updated

Disgraced ex-state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver was transferred from a federal prison in New York to a medical facility run by the Bureau of Prisons in Massachusetts, according to information on the agency’s website.

Silver is now being held at Federal Medical Facility, Devens, a lockup about 37 miles west of Boston, according to the BOP’s website.

The agency did not immediately respond to request for comment about his transfer.

The one-time Albany powerbroker made headlines earlier this month when he was released from Otisville prison on furlough while the BOP was deciding if he could serve out the remainder of his term in home confinement.

Silver, a Democrat from Manhattan’s Lower East Side, had served less than a year of his 6 1/2-year sentence when he was released on furlough on May 4.

After news of his release spread, the BOP abruptly reversed course and ordered him back to Otisville, where he’d been serving his time.

It’s unclear when Silver, who is in failing health, was transferred to the medical facility in Massachusetts.

Disgraced NY political powerhouse Sheldon Silver dies in prison​

By
Carl Campanile,

Bernadette Hogan and

Gabrielle Fonrouge

January 24, 2022 4:08pm
Updated

Disgraced NY political powerhouse Sheldon Silver dies in prison

Sheldon Silver, the Democratic powerhouse who ruled Albany with an iron fist until he was busted and later convicted on federal corruption charges in a stunning fall from grace, died Monday in prison. He was 77.
The disgraced politician died at the Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer, Massachusetts, while serving out a six-and-half-year sentence at a nearby prison after he was convicted for accepting nearly $4 million in bribes while in office, the Federal Bureau of Prisons confirmed.
His official cause of death will be determined by a medical examiner but the longtime kingmaker had a history of chronic kidney disease and cancer.
“For all our many disagreements and battles, it’s a sad day and a stark reminder that integrity in public service matters,” former Gov. George Pataki told The Post after learning of Silver’s death.
“When I look back, I always try to think about the good, the accomplishments we achieved together and there were many, but there could have and should have been more. It’s a shame that his career in public service ended in such a tragic way, but it is a lesson that is important today.”
Silver’s family didn’t immediately return a request for comment.
Born in 1944 to Russian immigrants, the Manhattan native first took office in 1976 and later became the Assembly Speaker in 1994, a powerful position that made him one of Albany’s “three men in a room” negotiating annual budgets and major legislation with the governor and state Senate leader.
Throughout four-decades in office, Silver served as Speaker under five New York governors, from Mario Cuomo to Andrew Cuomo, and earned a reputation as one of the most feared men in Albany. He was a harsh negotiator who blocked proposals so often, he earned the moniker “Dr. No” and was the legislator responsible for blocking a series of high-profile initiatives under former Mayor Mike Bloomberg.
Sheldon SilverSilver served six-and-a-half-year sentence at a federal medical center in Massachusetts.NY Post
When Bloomberg tried to find a location for a football stadium on Manhattan’s West Side, Silver scuttled the plan and in 2008, he was blamed when a congestion-pricing program failed to make its way through the legislature.
Bloomberg wanted to impose a toll on motorists driving through the borough’s most highly trafficked neighborhoods and when the plan died in Albany, the mayor put out a press release saying it “takes a special kind of cowardice” not to have lawmakers weigh in. Silver responded that he didn’t have the votes.
For nearly 25 years, Silver had a near-impenetrable powerhold on state politics until 2015 when he was arrested on federal extortion, wire fraud and mail fraud charges for running a series of corrupt kickback schemes while in office.
Once the most powerful man in New York’s capital, Silver soon lost his grip on the statehouse and was forced to resign from the Assembly.
He was convicted on all charges in Nov. 2015 and sentenced to 12 years in prison but used his influence and considerable means to stave off jail time for another five years.
In 2017, his conviction was overturned after an appeals court found the jury instructions used in the trial were invalid and when he was found guilty again the following year, he appealed a second time and remained free on bail while New York’s highest court reviewed the case.
Sheldon Silver died in prison Monday.Sheldon Silver died in prison Monday.Erik Thomas/NYPost
Panelists from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals eventually upheld his conviction on four of the charges after they unanimously affirmed Silver had illegally used his office to benefit two real estate developers in exchange for money.
In the scheme, Silver steered the real estate developers, Glenwood Management and the Witkoff Group, to do tax business with a law firm that gave Silver hundreds of thousands of dollars.
In exchange, Silver supported legislation that benefited the real estate developers, including provisions to 2011 rent legislation that were specifically tailored to help Glenwood.
In July 2020, more than five years after he was originally arrested, Silver was sentenced to six and a half years in prison, ending his years-long battle to avoid jail time by tying up his convictions in lengthy legal battles.
“This was corruption pure and simple,” Judge Valerie Caproni told the fallen leader during his sentencing hearing.
“The time, however, has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper.”
Ahead of his sentencing, Silver and his attorney petitioned Caproni to let him complete his time at home, citing his advanced age and medical issues.
“Your honor, I do not want to die in prison,” Silver wrote in a letter at the time.
Caproni denied the request.
Sheldon SIlverIn 2021 Silver was temporarily allowed back home on furlough under the Department of Justice’s expanded powers to grant inmates release amid the pandemic.Gabriella Bass
In May 2021, after completing less than a year of his sentence, Silver was briefly allowed back home on furlough under the Department of Justice’s expanded powers to grant inmates release amid the coronavirus pandemic but by the end of the month, he was back in custody.
Despite his many misdeeds, friends and colleagues remembered Silver for his commitment to Democratic policies, his devout faith as an Orthodox Jew and the indelible impact he had on state politics throughout four-decades as an elected official.
“He was a fighter for his constituents and his work to rebuild Lower Manhattan after the terrible events of 9/11 will never be forgotten. I will remember Shelly for his many legislative accomplishments,” Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie said.
“For years he was the lone voice in the room pushing back against many regressive policies that would have harmed so many New Yorkers, and he presided over landmark laws to improve the lives of our most vulnerable residents. My heart goes out to his wife, Rosa, and his children, grandchildren and many friends during this difficult time.”
Former State Sen. Majority Leader John Flanagan, who served alongside Silver for about 16 years and played basketball with him during off-hours, recalled the pol’s “scrappy” sports skills and tenacious spirit.
“There’s no question in my mind he had a very significant influence on state government – he played a pivotal role,” Flanagan said.
“He could be tenacious, he could be so quiet for such long periods of time – that was sort of his mantra and how he was described. He was like a sphinx. It was his way of doing business.”
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa, who stopped by Silver’s house during his brief time at home last May to ring his doorbell and tell him “you belong back in jail,” didn’t remember the convict as fondly and said “Good riddance” when asked for comment on his death.
“Silver was the Meyer Lansky of the Democratic Party,” Sliwa quipped, referencing the infamous Polish-born gangster known as the “Mob’s Accountant.”
“Let’s look under the mattresses.”

Alleged Sheldon Silver lover quit government to work as model​

By
Jon Levine

January 29, 2022 10:52am
Updated

Janele Hyer-Spencer with rumored former paramour Shelly Silver in 2010.
Janele Hyer-Spencer with rumored former paramour Shelly Silver in 2010. Ron Romano

A former Staten Island assemblywoman who the feds claimed had an affair with the late, disgraced Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has left government — and works as a model.
Janele Hyer-Spencer, 57, lists herself as a “lawyer who is a sports enthusiast,” on a professional page with OneModelPlace.com. The page, which also touts her proficiency in “extreme sports” and B-cup breast size, shows five professionally shot photos of the flaxen-maned Democrat.
It’s unclear how long Hyer-Spencer has been in the modeling biz. Her page is still active, and a a 2015 archived version of it suggests she created it back in 2004, before she took office in 2007.
“Looks like she is having more fun than she had serving in the Assembly,” former Staten Island Assemblyman Robert Straniere joked.
Hyer-Spencer — a Yamaha motorcycle-riding ex-beauty queen — served in the state Assembly as a Democrat for a fairly ineffective four years. She is mostly remembered for her close relationship with the powerful Silver.
“She used to brag. And when she used to play basketball with the other Assembly members, her cell would ring and she would say, ‘It’s Shelly . . . I gotta take this,’” an Albany insider told The Post in 2016. “She left everything up to their imagination. And she enjoyed the attention.”
The former politician lists herself as a 'lawyer who is a sports enthusiast.'Janele Hyer-Spencer lists herself as a “lawyer who is a sports enthusiast.”
Hyer-Spencer worked as a support magistrate in Staten Island Family Court until 2020.Hyer-Spencer worked as a support magistrate in Staten Island Family Court until 2020.
When the married Silver was busted in 2015 for steering state money to interests that had business with his law firm, the feds said Hyer-Spencer — who was herself married at the time — was one of the two women with whom the speaker was having affairs. She denied it. The other alleged mistress, a lobbyist named Patricia Lynch, also never copped to trysts.
After Hyer-Spencer lost reelection in 2010, Silver allegedly used his influence to get her a plum $84,000-a-year gig as a congressional lobbyist for the Education Department. In 2013 she moved on to a $99,600 job as a support magistrate in Staten Island Family Court — a position she held until March 2020. Her last salary was $140,622 per year.
“She left right before COVID,” a court spokesperson confirmed. She is currently living in Florida, where she works as an immigration lawyer, according to her LinkedIn.
Silver died in prison on Monday. Hyer-Spencer did not return a request for comment.

Sheldon Silver’s widow Rosa seeks court order to start hawking $2.675M estate​

By
Rich Calder and

Irie Sentner

June 11, 2022 8:47am
Updated

Rosa Silver wants to begin selling off assets from her disgraced husband's dollar estate before they lose in value.
Rosa Silver wants to begin selling off assets from her disgraced husband's dollar estate before they lose in value. Richard Harbus

The widow of late state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver claims she’s so concerned about the current economic crisis that she’s seeking court approval to begin selling off assets from her disgraced hubby’s multi-million dollar estate before they plummet in value.
Rosa Silver, 76, is petitioning the Surrogate’s Court in Manhattan to be named “temporary administrator” of an estate estimated to be worth $2.675 million, because the one-time Democratic powerbroker died in federal custody in January at the age of 77 without leaving a will, according to court filings.
“Due to market volatility at this time, the petitioner would like to sell the assets of the estate as soon as possible,” wrote her lawyer Elizabeth Forspan in the legal papers, filed in May. “The petitioner is concerned that the value of the assets may be significantly reduced during the lengthy administration proceedings.”
Silver was convicted of fraud charges in 2015.Silver was convicted of fraud charges in 2015.Erik Thomas/NY Post
One city Democratic operative said Rosa Silver is a “widow who needs the dough.”
“The feds have taken their share, and she wants to take care of her family,” the source said.
After a years-long legal battle to try avoiding jail time, Silver in July 2020 was sentenced to six-and-a-half years behind bars for selling his office for $4 million in a long-running kickback scheme. He also was ordered to pay $1 million in restitution.
Silver was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison in 2020.Silver was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison in 2020.AP
Rosa Silver also wants the temporary designation, so she can ask the Internal Revenue Service for a “private letter ruling regarding the taxation” of her late husband’s retirement assets, her lawyer wrote.
Forspan declined comment.
However, Anne Bederka, a Manhattan-based lawyer specializing in Surrogate’s Court proceedings, said the IRS request likely means Rosa Silver has a “question concerning the taxability” her husband’s retirement assets.
“I don’t know why you’d need that immediately,” said Bederka, who is not involved in the estate.
For nearly 25 years, Silver was among the top leaders in New York state government.For nearly 25 years, Silver was among the top leaders in New York state government.Rashid Umar Abbasi
The Silvers’ four children filed sworn statements saying they support their mother calling the shots. Recent legal filings also show Silver’s funeral arrangements totaled $9,136 and were paid.
For nearly 25 years, Silver was one of the infamous “three men in a room,” including the governor and Senate leader, who essentially controlled state government.
The Lower East Side pol wielded significant influence over politics in New York, blocking many initiatives, such as the Jets’ plan to build a Manhattan football stadium and congestion pricing.
However, everything changed in 2015, when the Manhattan Democrat resigned shortly after being arrested on federal extortion, wire fraud and mail fraud charges for running a series of corrupt kickback schemes.
He was convicted of all charges in November 2015 and sentenced to 12 years in prison, but the conviction was tossed out by an appeals court.
He was convicted again of similar charges in 2018, but part of that conviction was also overturned by an appellate panel.

What do you think? Be the first to comment.

At the time of his 2015 arrest, the feds seized $3.8 million Silver then had spread out in six banks. His wife’s filings don’t itemize his current assets beyond noting they include bank accounts.

While he was in prison, Silver received a $6,600 monthly pension from state taxpayers.

Ex-NY Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver left jailed, bedridden and alone in final days after epic fall from power: report​

By
Social Links for Steve Janoski

Published March 26, 2024, 6:02 p.m. ET

Ex-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver spent his final days in a prison bed and suffering from severe diarrhea – a feeble end after an epic fall from power, a new report revealed.

Silver was doing time on corruption charges after a lengthy reign as one of the most influential people in the Empire State — an iron-fisted politician known to crush projects he didn’t like, such as a proposed football stadium on Manhattan’s West Side.

He died a broken man in federal custody on Jan. 24, 2022, with a stunning new report from The City revealing new details about how the Democrat spent his last, sad days.

Silver, who was then 77 years old, had been suffering from a litany of medical problems, including debilitating back pain and severe diarrhea, according to federal Bureau of Prisons records obtained by the outlet.

Sheldon Silver 5
A new report detailed former New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s final days in a federal lockup, where he was sent after allegedly taking $4 million in bribes. Erik Thomas/NY Post

The Lower East Side native — who had been sentenced to six-and-a-half years for accepting nearly $4 million in bribes while in office — had lost nearly 60 pounds in the six months before his death from cardiac arrest, the report said.

His “altered mental status” had forced authorities to move him from the Federal Medical Center Devens in Ayer, Massachusetts, to nearby Nashoba Valley Medical Center about 10 days beforehand, according to the report.

The disgraced politician had been let out of jail in May 2021 under the CARES Act, which let the prisons bureau transfer more than 13,000 vulnerable, nonviolent offenders to home confinement to avoid the COVID pandemic.

But it didn’t last — he spent one night in his own bed in Lower Manhattan, sources told The City.

The next day, friends and family drove him to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in Washington Heights because he got “really, really sick,” said Rabbi Moshe Margaretten, president of the Tzedek Association, an advocacy group that helped several people gain clemency during the Trump years.

From left, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, and Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno, applaud as Lt. Governor David Paterson is introduced, at his swearing in ceremonies in Albany N.Y. March 17, 2008. 5
Silver (left) was once one of the most powerful and feared politicians in Albany. Frank Becerra Jr./The Journal News / USA TODAY NETWORK
Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer, Massachusetts, where Silver died on Jan. 24, 2022. 5
Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer, Massachusetts, where Silver died on Jan. 24, 2022. Nashoba Valley Medical Center
After two days of freedom, Silver was moved directly from the hospital to prison medical facility FMC Devers.

Federal prosecutors had opposed his release and made a behind-the-scenes appeal to put him back in jail, The City said.

“He was released and returned because of political pressure,” Margaretten claimed.

Silver’s medical condition worsened once he was back in custody, the records showed.

Before he went to Nashoba, he couldn’t even get out of bed to use the bathroom.

And he was nearly immobile after fracturing his osteoporosis-weakened back, according to The City.

His pain level was at a 12 out of 10, he told doctors.

Silver walking down thes street. 5
Silver suffered from intense back pain and severe diarrhea in the final weeks of his life. Rashid Umar Abbasi
This left Silver — who served as speaker under five governors and negotiated budgets and legislation alongside the state’s most influential leaders — feeble and bedridden, relying on other prisoners to help him with his daily tasks, the report said.

Eventually, doctors intubated him when his oxygen levels dropped, the outlet said. But the prison staff allegedly barred his wife, Rosa, from visiting — guests could only drop by during “end of life situations,” prison medical records revealed.

A Bureau of Prisons spokesperson told The City that there was “no evidence to suggest” that Silver’s wife had been blocked from visiting.

New York Governor David Paterson speaks to the crowd at his swearing in ceremonies in Albany N.Y. March 17, 2008. Seated behind Paterson are from left, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, and Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno. 5
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, then-Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno watch David Paterson as he speaks during his swearing-in ceremony back in 2008. Frank Becerra Jr./The Journal News / USA TODAY NETWORK
On his last day, his condition somehow improved so much that doctors at Nashoba pulled out his breathing tube.

But a few hours later, he went into cardiac arrest.

Prison activists and experts said it wasn’t uncommon for federal inmates to face similar circumstances in their final days.

But the loss still stings some — like Margaretten, of the Tzedek Association.

“What happened with Shelly Silver was absolutely tragic and wrong,” he told The City.

“Whatever anyone will say about Shelly, it is indisputable that he did not deserve a death sentence.”

Back