J*w boy judge opens mail, finds pennies and

White Boy

Registered

http://www.thelouisvillechannel.com/news/2998491/detail.html

Judge Opens Mail, Finds Pennies, Swastika
Officials Don't Fear Threat
LOUISVILLE -- A local judge was expecting an RSVP to a fund-raiser invitation he sent out recently, but when he opened his mail, he got something much different.

Jefferson County Judge Louis Waterman was appointed to the Family Court bench by Gov. Ernie Fletcher in February, and is hoping to be elected to a full term in the fall, WLKY NewsChannel 32's Allison Gardner reported Monday. He sent out 2,000 letters for a fund-raising reception, and the RSVPs
ave started to roll in.

But one in particular included two pennies and a drawing of a swastika, prompting concern from Waterman, who is Jewish, as well as investigators.

"I really don&#39

;t
know what I thought," Waterman said. "It was just really
shocking to have found it."

Just mailing such a letter is a hate crime, Gardner reported. But so far, law enforcement officials said they don't think the author intended to harm the judge.

"This is very poor taste," Jefferson County Sheriff's Department spokesman Carl Yates said. "And it's not that we take these things lightly. It's just that in discussion with Sheriff (John) Aubrey and Judge Waterman, they felt together that there was no real or perceived threat. But we'll continue to monitor it."

Deputies said they'll try to find out who sent the letter, but Waterman said he realizes it's possible he'll never know the identity of the author, Gardner report
ed.

"I think the community is equally shocked by what went on and what occurred," he said. "I think it's a vast, vast minority in the community that would do anything li
ke t
hat.
"

The letter has been turned over to the FBI.

Please follow WLKY NewsChannel 32 and TheLouisvilleChannel.com for updates to this story a
s they become available.

Back