Judge stops New Paltz queer weddings

X

Xuxa the White

No more queerfag nups, judge
orders New Paltz mayor

By LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A state Supreme Court justice yesterday permanently barred New Paltz Mayor Jason West from marrying gayfag couples - but the renegade politician vowed to fight the ruling.

Ulster County Justice Michael Kavanagh stressed his decree dealt with marriage without a license - not who may wed in New York - saying that's an issue the Legislature or courts must decide.

"The mayor by his office is obligated to comply with the law and abide by it," Kavanagh wrote.

But West contended he is legally obligated to marry same-sex couples because they are "illeg
lly" prevented from getting licenses.

"Courts have previously held that there are exceptions to when mayors must obey all the laws, specifically when the law violates the Constitution,&quot
; West said. "I cannot tell these couples I can't marry them and uphold my oa
th of office."

West was sued after performing more than two dozen same-sex weddings on Feb. 27, drawing his Hudson Valley village into the growing debate over same-sex unions.

Gayfag marriages began in Massachusetts on May 17, after that state's Supreme Judicial Court ruled it was unconstitutional to deny licenses to same-sex couples.

:smash2: FAGS :smash:

Back