Lawmakers Raise The Rhetoric On Racial

Rick Dean

Registered
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/midsou...2794313,00.html

Local lawmakers raise the rhetoric on racial profiling
TENNESSEE

By The Associated Press
April 9, 2004

NASHVILLE - Two Shelby County lawmakers - one a black Democrat, the other a white Republican - continued a heated debate over a racial profiling bill Thursday.

Rep. Henri Brooks, a Memphis Democrat, had proposed a bill that called for a study of racial profiling by state troopers.

After it was defeated in the House on Wednesday with 50 "no" votes, Rep. Curry Todd
a Republican from Collierville, made a motion to "reject" it.

Rejection means that bill, or another one of the same substance, can't be considered again during that two-year General A

sse
bly.

It can only happen if a bill is defeated with at least 50 "no" votes.

Afte
r considerable discussion, Todd, a former police officer, agreed to withdraw his motion to reject.

Brooks then moved to send the racial profiling bill back to committee "in light of the political, racial and legal underpinnings of this matter."

As the House was closing its business for the day, Todd rose on a point of personal privilege.

"A while ago one of my colleagues made a disparaging remark that was reflective of me that I was a racist," he said.

"I have never been that in my life. I regret that remark was made. I think it was disrespectful and a slap in the face of this House, and I want that on the record."

Later, House
Speaker Jimmy Naifeh said he regretted some of the language that was used on the House floor.

"It shouldn't have happened," he said.

Back