Man arrested for plotting terror attack on Times Square

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2016/11/21/man-arrested-for-plotting-terror-attack-on-times-square/

Man arrested for plotting terror attack on Times Square
By Lia Eustachewich
November 21, 2016 | 3:33pm | Updated

A Brooklyn man :rolleyes: has been busted for plotting a Nice-like attack on Times Square, according to a complaint unsealed Monday.

Mohamed Rafik Naji, 37, is charged with traveling to Turkey and Yemen between March and September of last year in an effort to join ​ISIS, court papers filed in Brooklyn federal court say.

He was caught on wiretapped recordings talking days after the truck-and-guns attack in France discussing carrying out a similar strike in Times Square.

“I was saying if there is a truck, I mean a garbage truck and one drives it there to Times-Square and crushes them shshshshshsh…Times-Square day,” he allegedly told a confidential source on July 19.

“They want an operation in Times-Square, reconnaissance group already put out a scene, the Islamic State already put up scenes of Times-Square, you understand. I said that was an indication for whoever is smart to know​.”

Naji traveled overseas several times but expressed problems crossing into ISIS-controlled areas in Yemen.

“It’s very hard to get in I’m on my 5 try its difficult mad po po military and ppl here very scared,” he allegedly emailed his girlfriend in the US.

Naji also hit his lover up several times for cash to fund his terrorist endeavors.

“Hunny 1 last favor $2 grand for plane ticket and to get back I promise I’ll pay u back when I get there,” he wrote her on April 4, 2015. “It’s hard then [sic] I th​​ought m [sic] tired hiding n mountains for 3 weeks it’s very very hard wallah,” he added using the Arabic expression for “I promise by God.”

Naji allegedly sent the girlfriend video files of his “first day on the job” on April 21, 2015 — around the same time when ISIS was fighting in Yemen — in which gunshots and male voices can be heard.

Feds say Naji also used Facebook to pledge his support to ISIS — he updated his profile picture to depict two men armed with guns and walking toward an ISIS flag and posted videos of ISIS fighters in combat, the complaint says.

Naji, who is charged with attempted to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, is expected to appear in court Monday afternoon.

Prosecutors: Brooklyn Resident, Inspired By ISIS, Discussed Nice, France-Like Times Square Attack
MohamedRafikNaji.jpg
NEW YORK — A 37-year-old Brooklyn resident is facing terror charges after he allegedly expressed support for a truck attack in Times Square similar to one ISIS claimed responsibility for in Nice, France. The federal criminal complaint was issued Monday against Mohamed Rafik Naji, 37 – a citizen of Yemen, but a permanent legal resident of the U.S.

Back