Metro Police: ISIS propaganda seized from home of Las Vegas teen arrested for making terroristic threats

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Metro Police: ISIS propaganda seized from home of Las Vegas teen arrested for making terroristic threats​

Wade Vandervort

An exterior view of the Metropolitan Police Community Center on South Las Vegas Blvd. Monday, Aug. 23, 2021.

By Hillary Davis (contact)

Friday, Dec. 1, 2023 | 4:09 p.m.

The local 16-year-old arrested this week for allegedly making terroristic threats on social media had propaganda, including homemade items, for ISIS and Al-Qaeda and “explosive components” in his home, Metro Police said today.

Deputy Chief Dori Koren, who oversees Metro’s Homeland Security and Special Operations Division, said at a news conference today that the teen — whose name was not given — claimed on a social media messaging platform that “he was commencing lone wolf terrorist attacks here in Las Vegas in furtherance of support for the Islamic State terrorist organization, also known as ISIS.”

Koren said a swift multiagency investigation, which included Metro, the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force and the Southern Nevada Counter Terrorism Center, helped authorities locate the boy within hours of becoming aware of the post.

Koren projected a post that said,
“Peace be upon all brothers who see this. I am here to announce that I will be starting lone wolf operations in Las Vegas against the enemies of Allah. I ask you to make Dua for victory. I am a supporter of the Islamic State, and I will make sure the Zionists in this city know it.”

Koren said the suspect lives in Las Vegas with siblings, his mother and possibly a stepfather, and is a recent convert to Islam. A tactical team took the suspect into custody on charges of making terroristic threats, attempting to further an act of terrorism, providing material support to a terrorist organization, and five counts of possession of explosive components.

Koren said the boy had a handmade ISIS flag, headband and patches, ISIS and Al-Qaeda propaganda, self-produced propaganda, self-portraits with the items, “radicalization materials and general guidance for conducting a terrorist attack,” and components for building an improvised explosive device and bomb making recipes and instructions. Koren did not say what the components were; he said the investigation was early on and that details were limited.

He said it appears to be an isolated threat.

Back