White Boy

Registered

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...d.1f99f7ce.html

Police sergeant faces civil service board over assault allegations
12:03 AM EDT on Saturday, July 30, 2005

By REBECCA LINDSTROM / 6NEWS

D_IMAGE.10543a66c1a.93.88.fa.7c.1fb190f5.jpg

Sergent Alex Vinson.

The Civil Service Board ordered the hearing of a 25-year veteran of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department fighting sexual assault charges to reconvene at a later date.

Sergeant Alex Vinson is the officer accused of groping a gas station employee while on a routine stop. His hearing began at 8 a.m. Friday and was cut short just before 10 p.m., when the woman re

cording the case said she could not keep going.

The plaintiff, Fre Aman, had a baby with a married man,
a police officer who works under Sgt. Vinson.

"I'm kind of upset about it because it seems like I'm not telling the truth about what happened," the plaintiff Fre Aman said.

Aman said while testifying before the board. Aman was in the crosshairs and so was her love life.

"How did he do it? When I went to speak to Marcus [Vinson] he struck his hand out and he grabbed my butt, that's what he did," Aman said.

Police said the assault took place between two patrol cars. The board viewed the position of the cars. The way Vinson tells the story the cars were too far apart for him to have grabbed her.

"He had this smirk on his face. He was laughing like something was funny," Aman said.

On cross examination Vinson's attorney, Joyce Brooks, got Aman to contradict herself several times.
At t
he time of the alleged assault Aman had just given birth to a baby by another police officer. The father of her child came by the store four minutes after the alleged assault, but she said
she did not discuss it with him.

"The father of your child pulls up and you're testifying that he did not speak to you at all? Brooks asked.

" was still in the street. I told him what happened over the phone, replied Aman.

When did you have that phone conversation with officer Byrum? asked Brooks

"t was later on," Aman said.

Brooks was also allowed to ask whether she was getting child support from the officer. This led to some testy exchanges and the chair had to caution Aman. The child support issue is important because the defense claims the woman is doing this for the money because she was not getting child support.

"If Fre is disrespected in any kind of way, she gets hot," said Officer C.E. Varnum, a friend of A
man.

Varnum told the board Vinson returned to the gas station, wanting to clear things up.

"That's when he proceeded to apologize," he said. "Saying, 'I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart.'"

Friday's hearing ende
d just before Vinson was to begin his testimony.

With now physical evidence, attorneys say the case is likely to come down to the credibility of the plaintiff and the defendant.

6NEWS reporter Glenn Counts contributed to this report.

Back