New Jersey district bans school-themed Halloween celebrations

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

New Jersey district bans school-themed Halloween celebrations​

philadelphia
By Christine Sloan

October 25, 2023 / 6:24 PM / CBS New York

MAPLEWOOD, N.J. -- There will be no Halloween celebrations during school hours in one New Jersey school district.

The superintendent of South Orange-Maplewood schools says he is ending the tradition to build equity and foster inclusion.

But as CBS New York found out Wednesday, some students and parents say it's the wrong move.

Halloween-related activities will have to wait until after school. The district sent out a letter to parents, saying Halloween-themed events and costumes won't be allowed during school hours but that schools can partner with organizations like the PTA for events after school.

The superintendent said he made the recommendations so students with financial limitations, or those who don't celebrate Halloween because of cultural or religious reasons, don't feel isolated.

"I think it makes total sense for people who can't afford costumes. There's people who don't celebrate Halloween. Again, there are so many other things to worry about, I am not worried about this issue," parent Mary Agnant said.

"It being banned at our school takes away something that a lot of kids at our school participated in and, like, I understand why, for equity reasons, it would be banned," 18-year-old Norah Brown said.

Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy even weighed in on the subject on social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying, "Seriously? We can't let kids celebrate Halloween? Give me a break."

READ MORE: Pups & pet owners brave the rain for 33rd Annual Tompkins Square Halloween Dog Parade

At a local restaurant, the Halloween ban at schools was a topic of conversation Wednesday.

"I think that there are definitely a lot of volunteers in this community, so it's a financial problem. There are definitely people who can bring aid to that. We can fundraise. That is something we do for sports and stuff," 17-year-old student Melissa Dubuisson said.

"Halloween is supposed to be a fun holiday. You're supposed to have fun. I think the school system is taking it too seriously with banning costumes," 17-year-old Justin Goldberg said.

The superintendent said he sent a survey to the principals in the district, asking if school-sponsored Halloween celebrations should continue, and they responded overwhelmingly for discontinuing them.

"In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I don't agree with it," Maplewood resident Michael Kinon said.

The superintendent said he believes the new recommendations will foster inclusion and build equity and a sense of belonging throughout the district.

Halloween killed! ‘Woke’ schools axing kids’ parties over inequality is a haunting new low​

By
Kirsten Fleming

Published Oct. 27, 2023, 6:30 a.m. ET

There was a time, not long ago, when the most horrifying thing in New Jersey was the Giants’ offensive line.
But now, at least in one Garden State school district, it’s Halloween.
Yes, that glorious fall day when pint-sized humans come to school dressed in princess gowns, superhero capes or zombie rags and are permitted to freebase a Nestlé sampler bag.
Earlier this month, Dr. Ronald G. Taylor, the superintendent of the South Orange-Maplewood School District, sent a letter home informing parents that he is a killjoy.
Or, more specifically, that Halloween would not be celebrated in schools this year.
Banned during school hours. No parades, no costumes, no candy, no trick or treat. But this administration can go and smell my feet. (That’s polite Jerseyan for “go scratch”).
The reason for wiping this super fun, very secular holiday off the school calendar? Diversity, equity and inclusion. The higher-ups are trying to not ostracize kids who don’t celebrate Halloween because of religious reasons or those who simply can’t afford elaborate costumes.
Kids dressed in Halloween costumes 8
One school district in New Jersey has canceled Halloween celebrations in schools over concerns of diversity, equality and inclusion — which is a real killjoy move.JenkoAtaman – stock.adobe.com
Kids dressed in Halloween costumes 8
Going to school in Halloween costume is a rite of passage for many kids in America.Monkey Business – stock.adobe.com
The aim, according to Taylor’s letter is, is to foster “diversity, equity, and inclusion meaningfully.”
Meangingfully. Not not meaningfully, alright? These are not empty buzzwords meant to placate some nonsensical DEI standards — they swear.
And when you really mean it, that means canceling one of the days of the year that kids actually like coming to school.
A tweet from Phil Murphy criticizing on South Orange-Maplewood School District banning Halloween. 8
New Jersey’s Governor Phil Murphy called out the lunacy of South Orange-Maplewood School District canceling Halloween.Gov. Phil Murphy/ X
Even Gov. Phil Murphy, who has given us some eye-rolling moments regarding parental rights of late, recognized the sheer insanity.
“Seriously? We can’t let kids celebrate Halloween?” he tweeted. “Give me a break.”
Amen, Guv.
In making this controversial decision, Taylor said the district’s decision-makers asked themselves the following questions.
South Orange train station sign. 8
The South Orange-Maplewood School District said it decided to ban Halloween celebrations after asking the question: “Is promoting school-sponsored Halloween activities creating indirect and unintentional financial hardships for students and families?”Jared Kofsky/Wiki Commons
Maplewood, NJ train station sign. 8
The SOMSD also said it ad questioned if school-sponsored Halloween activities “create[d] tensions with the equity and access values [of the district]?”Shutterstock
“Is promoting school-sponsored Halloween activities creating indirect and unintentional financial hardships for students and families? Do school-sponsored Halloween activities violate the dignity of some of our students and families, either culturally or religiously? Does the promotion of school-sponsored Halloween activities create tensions with the equity and access values [of the district]?”
I have another question. What are “access values”?
And what does that have to do with a childhood rite of passage that has endured for generations and generations of Americans?
Instead, Taylor said, some elementary schools will have something called a “Fall/Harvest Festival” — which will likely offend someone in the next five years.
A group of kids dressed up for Halloween. 8
The concept of equity is about as realistic as the Great Pumpkin rising in the pumpkin patch.Andrey Kiselev – stock.adobe.com
“I know this may make some uncomfortable and elicit some challenges across our community,” he wrote. “However, in the end, I feel these recommendations align with SOMSD’s commitment to building equity.”
I thought this was to mitigate challenges.
And let’s talk about the concept of equity, which is about as realistic as the Great Pumpkin rising in the pumpkin patch.
Three kids dressed up for Halloween., running down a street 8
We were once governed by a “majority rules” mentality. If you don’t celebrate, don’t dress up.pressmaster – stock.adobe.com
The word, which has been plastered all over the mission statements of every well-intentioned organization, means not equality of opportunity, but equality of outcome — something that is simply impossible in the real world.
So what ends up happening? We cut down everyone, so they’re all at the bottom rung. Everyone suffers, instead of being encouraged to strive and acknowledge there are differences among us. What’s next? Cancel basketball season because not everyone can get the latest Nikes?
This prohibition also tells kids that society will wrap itself around their preferences, whims or deficiencies. Not the other way around.
A group of children wearing Halloween costumes. 8
Back in 2021, East Lansing, Michigan, schools put the kibosh on Halloween over equity concerns.Monkey Business – stock.adobe.com
We were once governed by a “majority rules” mentality. If you don’t celebrate, don’t dress up. If you can’t afford an elaborate costume, even better! Those fancy, professionally made ones are as lame as the Bit o’ Honey candy the old lady in the corner house gives out every year. DIY it!
Instead, this ban is now punishing the lot to suit a few.
A compromise: What if the kid goes as someone who understands what any of the DEI language means?

In recent years, Halloween has been made the bogeyman for all sorts of reasons. Back in 2021, East Lansing, Michigan, schools put the kibosh on Halloween over equity concerns. As early as 2015, some Connecticut schools ditched it because of religious reasons.

Meanwhile in Jersey, kids as young as first graders have a sex-ed curriculum that tackles gender identity. Parents have to opt-out if they don’t want their kid to participate. But a blanket cancellation of Halloween is appropriate?

Forget goblins and ghouls. The scariest costume this year, by far, is the DEI monster.

Back