Obama 08' monkey tshirts & "Sock Obama" monkey hand-puppet

Crusader

Senior Reporter
CG.jpg

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html

Curious George publisher may sue over T-shirt
Cobb bar selling shirts combining book character's picture, Obama's name

By JAMIE GUMBRECHT, CHRISTIAN BOONE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/13/08

The publishing company that owns the Curious George image says it is considering legal action to stop the sale of a T-shirt depicting Barack Obama as the monkey from children's books.

The T-shirts are being peddled by Marietta bar owner Mike Norman at his Mulligan's Bar and Grill in Cobb County. They show a picture of Curious Georgie peeling a banana, with the words "Obama '08" underneath.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/38/51/image_7051
381.jpg

Pam Lindley of Marietta holds up the T-shirt in question as about a dozen people protested outside Mulligan's bar in Marietta Tuesday. They object to the establishment selling a Curious George t-shirt that says 'Obama in '08.' The bar has caused controversy in the past with its billboard messages.

Rick Blake, a spokesman for publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which owns Curious George, said Wednesday that the company didn't authorize the use of the character's image, but hasn't been in touch with anybody selling or manufacturing the shirts.

"We find it offensive and obviously utterly out of keeping with the value Curious George represents," Blake said. "We're monitoring the situation and weighing our options with respect to legal action."

Norman has said he got the T-shirts from someone in Arkansas. He started selling them at his bar -- known for the provocative, ultra-conservative political slogans often posted on signs out front -- in April but said he has
no plans to mass market them.

The sales came to light this week when a loose coalition of local groups called a protest of the T-shirts.

About a dozen protestors rallied against the shirts Tuesday afternoon, condemning them as racist and asking Norman to stop selling them.

Norman acknowledged the imagery's Jim Crow roots but said he sees nothing wrong with depicting a prominent African-American as a monkey.

"We're not living in the 1940's," he said. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears -- he looks just like Curious George."

Marietta native Pam Lindley, 47, joined Tuesday's protest after reading about the controversy.

"I don't want people to think this is what Marietta is all about," she added, motioning towards the tavern. "This is what some people think the South is still like. Marietta's come a long way but I guess it's still got a little ways to go."

She said she'd like to see the city ban Norman's provocative musings regularly posted on a sig
n out front of the bar, which is near Marietta's downtown square. Those who gathered Tuesday say they will continue their campaign against Norman's "hate speech."

But his defenders are just as resolute. Mulligan's is a refuge, they say, in an otherwise hypersensitive world. Smoking isn't only allowed at the bar, it's expected.

"This place is a diamond in the rough," said Gene McKinley, a Woodstock engineer among the patrons Tuesday. "People here are genuine and honest. It's the one place I can go without having to worry if I'm offending someone."

Norman said he fielded calls throughout Tuesday about his T-shirts. An ajc.com story about the controversy was picked up on the Drudge Report. "One guy in New Jersey wanted me to send him 100 shirts," said Norman, 63.

He said he noted physical similarities between the Democratic frontrunner and the cartoon monkey while watching a Curious George movie with his grandchildren.

Someone -- "probably a customer, I don't know" -- f
rom Arkansas sent him the shirts, Norman said.

The Tennessee native said he's providing a public service of sorts, reminding people they have a right to offend.

"This is my marketing tool," he said.

I bought one
http://shop.elthamseascouts.org/item/160245445700_curious-obama-t-shirt.htm

Re: Obama 08' monkey tshirts

Monkey doll named for Obama called racist

SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah company offering online a sock monkey named for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says it didn't mean to anger anyone with a "cute and cuddly" toy that some are calling racist.

"We simply made a casual and affectionate observation one night, and a charming association between a candidate and a toy we had when we were little," according to a statement issued Saturday by Sock Obama LLC.

Jeanetta Williams, president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, called the toy "pure racism at its extreme."

Makers of Racist Obama Monkey Would Like to Transcend Racial Bias

nhttp://www.thesockobama.com/
"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded"

Its so ridiculous. How many images are there of Bush compared to a chimp? Thousands,millions? No out cry of course until we actually compare a chimp to a chimp.

I Dont Know,that Sock Monkey Looks To Intellegent To Be Obama.
It Seems To Me The Monkey Should Be Miffed.

I Dont Know,that Sock Monkey Looks To Intellegent To Be Obama.
It Seems To Me The Monkey Should Be Miffed.

:lol::rolleyes2:

Re: Barack Obama: spawn of a black African father and a white American mother

"Sock Obama"
:lol:
Guide Note

Sock_Obama_AM_20080614.png

The Sock Obama is a stuffed animal that combines the design of a traditional homemade "sock monkey" :lol: with the likeness of Barack Obama. The toy is marketed as a "cute and cuddly" novelty item for Obama supporters, but some of those supporters have decried what is seen as a racist depiction of the Senator.12
Fast Facts

1. Maker: Sock Obama LLC
2. Creators: David and Elizabeth Lawson of West Jordan, Utah
3. Sales pitch: "Fall in love with your chosen candidate all over again"1
4. Price: $29.95
5. 16" tall
6. Wears campaign lapel pin

Controversy

According the the manufacturer's official site, the Sock Obama is meant to "introduce children to the political process
with a cuddly plush toy all their own."1 Some commentators, online and otherwise, have been less than charmed by the depiction of an African-American man as a monkey. Jeanetta Williams, president of the Salt Lake City chapter of the NAACP, assailed it as, "pure racism at its extreme."3
Apology

Sock Obama LLC has reportedly issued the following statement: "We at TheSockObama Co. are saddened that some individuals have chosen to misinterpret our plush toy. It is not, nor has it ever been, our objective to hurt, dismay or anger anyone. We guess there is an element of naivete on our part, in that we don't think in terms of myths, fables, fairy tales and folklore. In earnest folks, we're so sorry we offended anybody."2
Edit Guide Note and Fast Facts

http://www.thesockobama.com/index.html

----------

Monkey doll named for Obama called racist
The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY --
A Utah company offering online a sock monkey named for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama s
ays it didn't mean to anger anyone with a "cute and cuddly" toy that some are calling racist.

"We simply made a casual and affectionate observation one night, and a charming association between a candidate and a toy we had when we were little," according to a statement issued Saturday by Sock Obama LLC.

Jeanetta Williams, president of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, called the toy "pure racism at its extreme."

Back