Philly:Parole Officer Wounded; Spic Suspect Killed

Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/8876150.htm

A beer to the officer who took out this piece of sh*t mud. :Cheers:

Parole officer wounded; suspect killed

By SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM

weichss@phillynews.com

A fugitive and parole officers blasted bullets at each other in a cramped West Kensington back yard yesterday afternoon, leaving the wanted man dead and one cop shot and seriously wounded, authorit
es said.

The 29-year-old unnamed officer is recovering from the 9mm bullet wound to his groin at Temple University Hospital, police said. He was listed in guarded condition last night.

C
ops we
nt after the ex-con, identified by his family as Wilson Garcia, 35, "for numerous parole violations" and "an active Philadelphia arrest warrant for aggravated assault," Thomas Costa of the state parole board sai
d.

About 4:15 p.m. plain-clothes agents found Garcia visiting his mother at her neat white rowhouse on Hancock Street near Westmoreland, relatives said.

Garcia, who was released from prison in February, immediately sprinted up Hancock Street with parole officers steps behind him, witnesses said.

He made a right on Thayer Street, turned down a narrow alley hoping to escape the officers - at least one on foot and another in a unmarked car - but ran right into a fence, witnesses said.

With no way out, Garcia pulled out his 9mm pistol and started sho
oting at approaching cops in a narrow yard about five feet long, witnesses said.

"He was hiding by a tree trunk," said a 17-year-old girl who saw the shootout from her dining
room and b
edroom windows.

"They were telling him 'surrender, surrender' " and he was saying 'get away, get away,' " she said.

Garcia fired four shots hitting the one agent, the girl said.

She said she heard several more shots and when she looked out the window
again, Garcia was lying on the ground riddled with bullets and the wounded officer was pleading for help.

He was screaming "please help me, please help me, I am going to die," the girl said about the severely bleeding agent.

"I was so scared, I thought my heart was going to pop through my chest," the girl said.

The fatal shooting was the second this year involving a warrant officer.

In March, Darien Houser, 41, allegedly shot and killed Joseph E. LeClaire Jr., 53, an
d injured two other officers as they tried to arrest him at an East Germantown apartment for contempt of court and drug charges.

A judge yesterday ordered Houser to stand trial
on murder and
other charges.

Garcia's family gathered on Hancock Street yesterday evening trying to piece together from police and neighbors why agents shot their relative.

"He left two kids behind," said Margie Garcia, Wilson Garcia's aunt, about his teenage son and 1-year-old daughter. "He never did anything like this before."

Garcia was
n't working after leaving prison in February, his family said.

Relatives were shocked to learn he carried a gun and were even more surprised to hear that he fired at officers.

"He was a good kid," said Jose Garcia, Wilson Garcia's uncle. "We never expected this."

Back