Police kill mestizo murder suspic of white 89 year-old woman

White Boy

Registered
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_135060920.html

Cops Kill Possible Suspect In 83-Year-Old's Murder

Kristyn Hartman
Reporting

(CBS) MARENGO, Ill. Police in the McHenry County town of Marengo say an elderly woman who was found dead in her home appears to have been killed, but they haven't released a possible cause of death.

Verna Corcoran, 83, was found dead in her home Sunday night by a neighbor. Hours later, they spotted a man driving her car. They gave chase, and an officer fatally shot the driver.

CBS 2 West Suburban Bureau Chief Mike Puccinelli reports police are now investigating the dead man's background.

That man was 21-year-old Jose Manuel Aldava-Grijaldo, according to the Kane County Coroner's Office. The office took charge of the case after he was brought to Provena St. Joe's in Elg
in. They say he died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen and toxicology reports are pending. His role, if any, has still not been defined.

When Estelle Jamieson went to check on her friend, Verna Corcoran, she made the kind of discovery you typically only associate with nightmares.

"She was laying face down. Of course, I panicked and I kept yelling her name and she didn?t answer," said friend Estelle Jamieson. "There was a little blood by her face, but I didn't see her face cause it was like covered with like a towel or something."

Jamieson says Corcoran's wheelchair was tipped over, and her home was ransacked.

"There was like jewelry boxes and purses and everything coming out of the dressers," Estelle said.

The phones were down, so Jamieson went next door to get help. They wouldn?t say anything about a motive or a suspect, but they acknowledged that a man was spotted about four hours after Corcoran was found, and he was driving her car.

"I?m assuming there?s a conne
ction but until investigate further to establish that connection," said Marengo Police Deputy Chief Joseph Hallman.

What police will say is that after a 15-mile chase, the driver lost control of the car and crashed.

Police say that?s when he approached the officer, ignoring commands to stop. That?s when police say a Marengo cop shot him to death.

"The driver exited the vehicle," said Marengo Police Chief Les Kottke said. "There was a confrontation between the Marengo police officer and the suspect, excuse me, the subject. And the officer discharged his weapon."

"We?re still investigating portions of that shooting," Hallman said.

Fire and rescue personnel transported the driver to Provena Saint Joseph Hospital in Elgin, where Kottke said the man was pronounced dead on arrival.

Illinois State Police are investigating the shooting part of the case. Kottke would not comment on the connection between the man and Corcoran.

There is no word on yet how long the offic
er who did the shooting was on the police force. He is on paid administrative leave.

While authorities investigate, Corcoran's friends and neighbors say they are remembering a woman with children and grandchildren who would not have harmed anyone.

"She was a wonderful lady. Very, very wonderful lady," said Marilyn Kotke.

"We always expected that we would find her someday peacefully in the bed. But not like this," said friend Barbara Voorhees.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=4173042

wls_051506_womankilled_275.jpg

Fatal police shooting after high-speed chase
Elderly woman found dead in home
By Dan Ponce

May 15, 2006 - An officer shot and killed a man driving a stolen car after a high-speed chase and confrontation in McHenry County. The vehicle belongs to an elderly woman who was found dead in her Marengo home Sunday night.

Investigators are piecing together the case and have not officially linked the murder to the police shooting.

"We have no information to link. The only link between the two scenes is a vehicle," said Chief Leslie Kottke, Marengo Police Department.

The body of Verna Corcoran, 83, was found in her Marengo home after her son was unable to r
each her on Mother's Day, police said.

"He was supposed to pick her up around 11:30. I went to play bingo. And when Brian came, he looked in the garage and he said, her car was gone," said Marilyn Kotke, victim's friend.

"Apparently he tried making contact with her earlier in the day. Indications from the scene that it was foul play," said Chief Kottke.

A friend of the victim found Corcoran's body in the foyer.

"I walked over there and found her in the foyer. And I couldn't get through on her phones because they were dead. So I ran next door and called 911," said a friend of the victim.

Police are not releasing details, but witnesses said the phone lines to the home had been cut and her bedroom was ransacked. Her car-- a black, four-door 1988 Crown Victoria-- was gone.

Officers spotted the vehicle. The driver led them on a high-speed, 15-mile chase. Several squad cars cornered the Crown Victoria near Route 20 and Allen Road in Hampshire. The driver reportedl
y got out of the car and confronted an officer, who opened fire. The man was killed. He has not been identified.

"We followed the police. And we seen the car in a ditch by the train tracks," said Lori Gromer, witness. "A bunch of cops there. Thirty cops there. And just him getting taken away in an ambulance."

As police investigate, concern grows in the neighborhood that is home to many retirees.

"It's important to solve whoever did this," said Marilyn Kotke, victim's friend. "Verna never had problems with anybody. Never."

The Illinois State Police launched an independent investigation in to the police shooting. The officer involved has not been named.

The coroner's office completed an autopsy Monday, but they are not releasing those findings.

Back