Purse-snatching bully punches woman, 68, in face and down NYC church stairs — then takes her car as she lies in agony

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Purse-snatching bully punches woman, 68, in face and down NYC church stairs — then takes her car as she lies in agony​

By
Social Links for Amanda Woods

Published April 8, 2024, 4:56 p.m. ET

A mugger brutally punched a 68-year-old parishioner down the steps of her Queens church early Sunday – then snatched her purse and rode off in her car as she lied on the ground in pain, according to authorities and video of the disturbing crime.

The victim was approaching the entrance of the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church on 152nd Street in Briarwood around 8:20 a.m. when the much-younger attacker struck, according to cops and the church’s pastor, Father Konstantinos Kalogridis.

Video of the vicious attack, which The Post obtained from the church Monday, shows the suspect stalking the woman as she walks up to the church.

The attacker slugged the 68-year-old woman in the face on the steps of the Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, cops said. 4
The attacker slugged the 68-year-old woman in the face on the steps of the Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, cops said. NYPD
He then suddenly gets in front of her and punts her down the steps as he stands on the top landing.

As she lies on the ground, he callously picks her pockets and steals her purse before bolting with her purse and driving away in her car, a 2006 Nissan Altima.

Explore More​

LI doctor killed in freak Airstream trailer accident was on family trip to upstate NY to see solar eclipse

Barnacle parking enforcement device attached to the windshield of a car parked on North 9th Street in Reading, Pennsylvania.

NYPD rolls out 'barnacle' windshield boots to force violators to pay

Benjamin Netanyahu

Netanyahu declares 'there is a date' for Rafah invasion as Hamas claims 'no ability' to free 40 hostages

“She’s a parishioner of our church who was coming to church to attend the service in the morning,” Kalogridis told The Post in a phone interview. “I was in the office during the service but when I saw the footage of what happened, it was horrible.”

“I can’t believe — right on the top of the steps of the church — to do this to an elderly woman,” Kalogridis told The Post in a phone interview. “I hope they find this guy and they go to jail.”

The attacker slugged the 68-year-old woman in the face on the steps of the Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, cops said. 4
The brute stole the woman’s purse holding $300, a cell phone, a credit card and car keys, authorities said. NYPD
The victim was initially hospitalized in critical condition, but Kalogridis said he had since visited her and her condition had stabilized.

“She’s a regular parishioner,” the pastor said. “She has a wonderful family… and she has her faith in the Lord and she’s a humble person that would give her very best to her family and her community.”

“I gave her a blessing and gave her communion and I prayed for her, and we’re hoping she’ll come out strong and have a full recovery,” he added. “And even [when] the nurses saw me visit her, they would say, ‘Oh, she’s so sweet! So nice!'”

The woman’s stolen purse held $300, a cellphone, a credit card, and — conveniently for the suspect — her car keys, authorities said.

Police released a video Monday of the suspect, believed to be between 18 and 25 years old, running off with the senior’s bag.

Finally, the thief took off in her assailant’s car, a 2006 Nissan Altima, cops said. NYPD
A still photo shows him with his arms outstretched while standing at the top of the church steps, apparently just after knocking the parishioner down.

“[Parishioners] were shocked because we don’t have incidents like that here in this area of the neighborhood,” Kalogridis said. “There was fear, they were angry and sad for the woman as she went through this.”

The pastor said the NYPD’s local 107th Precinct has opted to increase its presence around the church as they search for the attacker – especially during the ongoing season of Orthodox Lent.

“They’re going to be sending patrols here just to keep an eye on the area, so we have the support of the police 100% on this,” he said.

Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Jamaica, NY where a 68-year-old woman was badly hurt when a robber punched her in the face on Sunday morning and stole her purse. 4
The victim is a “regular parishioner” and “humble person” with a wonderful family, her pastor said. Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
The NYPD has described the attacker as a man with a dark complexion, between 18 and 25 years old, standing around 5-foot-8 with a medium build.

He was last seen wearing a red hoodie underneath a black jacket, black pants, black face mask and black Jordans with red trim.

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).

The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at https://crimestoppers.nypdonline.org/, or on X @NYPDTips.

Back