Thee old negro games, thieving & sucker punch: Miami Man arrested for sucker punching female cigar vendor on Ocean Drive, officials say

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Man arrested for sucker punching cigar vendor on Ocean Drive, officials say​

By Sheldon Fox, Patrick Chalvire
November 8, 2023

1699800592909.png

MIAMI BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - Police have arrested a man who, they said, punched a cigar vendor on Ocean Drive.

Miami Beach Police arrested Hubert Diaz on Tuesday evening in Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood, in connection to last month’s sneak attack.

The 41-year-old appeared before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Lody Jean on Wednesday afternoon. He faces charges of aggravated battery and felony battery in connection with the assault.

“This case is extremely violent,” said a prosecutor during the hearing.

The assault occurred on Oct. 6 along the 900 block of Ocean Drive.

The victim, 58-year-old Moraima Lima, is a cigar vendor with over 20 years of experience. Shortly after the attack, Lima spoke to 7News.

She said she suffered injuries to her head, face, ribs and arms when Diaz punched her in the face, and she lay on the the ground for about 20 minutes before she was taken to the hospital.

“When he punched me, I believe that he tried to kill me,” she said. “He has to pay for his crimes because he [could’ve] kill me.”

Lima said Diaz attacked her because she refused to give him free cigarettes. She said the suspect followed and badgered her, then became more aggressive when she wouldn’t give him any cigarettes.

Weeks later, 7News reported that Miami Beach Police were after Diaz, who had been arrested for similar offenses on Ocean Drive earlier in 2023 and in past years.

Video obtained exclusively by 7News showed Diaz being arrested after police said he “threatened to kill one of the waitresses.”

“The defendant has been arrested numerous times since 2016, and it appears that almost all of his arrests are from the city of Miami Beach,” said a prosecutor during the hearing.

“Are you working?” Jean asked Diaz.

“Right now, I’m not working now,” said Diaz.

Wednesday night, a spokesperson for Miami Beach issued a statement that reads, “Through meticulous investigatory methods, our detectives successfully identified, located, and subsequently apprehended Mr. Diaz for his involvement in this case.”

Lima said she feels safe because Miami Beach Police officers arrested the man wanted for the crime.

Diaz is being held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in West Miami-Dade on a $50,000 bond.

Back