This will leave you Speechless, a 2021 story of 2 black teens' heinous acts in a violent crime - Happy Halloween

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

SC agency failed to monitor teen involved in Halloween sexual assault near CCU, suit says
The victim was sitting in her car on Halloween 2021 at The Cove at Coastal Carolina apartment complex when the teens opened her door, Warren raped her at gunpoint, and they stole her phone and car, warrants stated. They then backed the car into the victim, causing her to land on the trunk, and drove “at a high rate of speed” down S.C. 544 until she was thrown from the vehicle.

By David Weissman

October 30, 2023 6:00 AM

A detainee puts her shoe on after receiving an electronic monitoring device prior to being released from the Cook County Jail in 2018. A detainee puts her shoe on after receiving an electronic monitoring device prior to being released from the Cook County Jail in 2018. Armando L. Sanchez Chicago Tribune file photo via TNS

One of the teens involved in a brutal sexual assault two years ago near Coastal Carolina University was supposed to be confined to his home with an ankle monitor, according to a lawsuit filed by the victim.
Mije Basnight, of Loris, and Ja’Real Tavon Warren, of Green Sea, were sentenced earlier this year to 20 and 30 years in prison, respectively, after pleading guilty to charges related to the assault, including kidnapping and armed robbery.

The victim was sitting in her car on Halloween 2021 at The Cove at Coastal Carolina apartment complex when the teens opened her door, Warren raped her at gunpoint, and they stole her phone and car, warrants stated. They then backed the car into the victim, causing her to land on the trunk, and drove “at a high rate of speed” down S.C. 544 until she was thrown from the vehicle.

Basnight, 16 at the time, was on probation and home confinement, wearing an ankle monitor that was supposed to be monitored by the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice, the victim’s lawsuit alleges. The complaint names the department and BI Incorporated, the company that supplied the ankle monitor, as defendants for negligence in monitoring Basnight, who was a known danger to the community. A spokeswoman for the department declined to comment on the pending litigation, and a request for comment sent to GEO Group, the parent company of BI Incorporated, was not returned. Reforming SC ankle monitor oversight Inconsistent regulations

Read more at:

Last edited:
4 minute Happy Halloween, TNB, hide the candy bowl.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN FROM YOUR LOVELY BLACK NEIGHBORS-DECEITDELUSIONDETECTION​

16-year-old arrested in connection to sexual assault, carjacking near CCU​

A search is underway for two men who sexually assaulted a woman near the campus of Coastal...

A search is underway for two men who sexually assaulted a woman near the campus of Coastal Carolina University and fled in her vehicle, according to authorities.(WMBF)
By WMBF News Staff
Published: Nov. 13, 2021 at 8:03 AM MST

CONWAY, S.C. (WMBF) - Authorities have made a second arrest in connection to a sexual assault and carjacking near the campus of Coastal Carolina University.
The Conway Police Department said 16-year-old Mije Basnight was arrested Thursday after previously being wanted. He was formally waived from Family Court to General Sessions Court on Friday.
Jarael Warren

Jarael Warren(JRLDC)
He’s the second teenager to be charged in the case after 17-year-old Jarael Warren was taken into custody Wednesday. They’re both accused of an Oct. 31 sexual assault and carjacking of a 19-year-old woman at The Cove Apartments off Highway 544.
According to arrest warrants for Warren obtained by WMBF News on Saturday, police say he and a second suspect, later identified as Basnight, approached the victim before forcing her into the back of her vehicle at gunpoint. The victim was then choked and hit in the face with a handgun Warren was holding. She later told police that any more struggling would have resulted in her death.
MORE COVERAGE | ‘It’s scary’: One person of interest wanted in alleged sexual assault case near CCU; students on alert
The warrants also state this was around the time Warren sexually assaulted the victim with the handgun still in his possession, threatening to kill her.
Warren and Basnight then struck the victim with the rear of the car as they were fleeing the scene. After the victim landed on the trunk lid, the two suspects drove down Highway 544 at a high rate of speed, striking curbs and throwing the victim from the vehicle.
Warren and Basnight are each charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct, attempted murder, kidnapping, assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature as well as armed robbery.
Warren also faces other weapons and fraud-related charges.
Earlier this week, an Horry County Schools spokesperson also confirmed with WMBF News that Basnight is a current student in the district, while Warren is a former student. The district could not release which schools the two attended.
The Coastal Carolina University Police Department, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the U.S. Marshals Service also assisted in the investigation.
Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact the Conway Police Department at 843-248-179

Mije Basnight(15th Circuit Solicitor)
By WMBF News Staff
Published: Aug. 15, 2022 at 6:52 AM MST

iu

Mije Basnight(15th Circuit Solicitor)
By WMBF News Staff
Published: Aug. 15, 2022 at 6:52 AM MST

CONWAY, S.C. (WMBF) - A family court judge ruled Friday the teen charged in connection to a 2021 incident near Coastal Carolina University should be tried as an adult.

Mije Basnight was 16 at the time he was charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, carjacking, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, said Lauren Vinson, the assistant solicitor who represented the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office Friday during the hearing.

Following a hearing Friday, the Honorable Family Court Judge Jan Bromell-Holmes waived Basnight from family court to general sessions where he will be tried as an adult.

“The prosecution of this egregious crime and getting justice for the victim has been a great priority to this office and we are glad that will be able to proceed in the Court of General Sessions where sentencing guidelines are much more appropriate for acts so horrific,” Vinson said following the hearing.

MORE COVERAGE | 16-year-old arrested in connection to sexual assault, carjacking near CCU

Basnight was charged following the October 31, 2021, incident where a young woman was assaulted in a parking lot along S.C. 544 near the school.

Jarael Warren

Loris teen sentenced in Conway criminal sexual conduct, attempted murder case

Courtroom Ja'real Warren sentencing

Ja'Real Warren was sentenced to 30 years in the state's correctional facilities. Photo credit to Chase Duncan
By Chase Duncanchase.duncan@myhorrynews.com

One of two Horry County teenagers charged in connection with a kidnapping and rape case in 2021 will serve 30 years in prison.
Jareal Tavon Warren, 19, of Loris pleaded guilty to first-degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, armed robbery and possession of a weapon during a violent crime on Tuesday afternoon at the Horry County Courthouse.
Conway teen charged in rape and attempted murder incident to be tried as an adult

Conway teen charged in rape and attempted murder incident to be tried as an adult

The victim’s family was present as the prosecution played the 911 call made after good Samaritans found and aided the victim on the side of the road.

Warren’s eyes kept focused on the floor as the room silently listened to nearly 10 minutes of audio recorded from the aftermath of the attack, which included cries from the victim audibly in the background as the callers attempt to answer questions from a 911 dispatcher.

Warren and Mije Basnight were both charged as adults with attempted murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, carjacking, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. Warren also received a charge of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Basnight remains incarcerated at J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Warren and Basnight were accused of forcing the victim, who was visiting her sister at Coastal Carolina University, into the back of her car in a parking lot of an apartment complex off S.C. 544. The victim was choked, smacked in the face with a pistol and told struggling would result in her death, according to arrest warrants.
Before sentencing, the victim and her mother delivered statements to the courtroom, telling the defendant how the violent attack irreparably damaged the victim’s physical and emotional well being.

“My daughter will never be the same,” the victim’s mother said. “My family will never be the same. She will forever be looking over her shoulder when she leaves the house, when she is walking to her car, when she’s going to the grocery store. The past year and a half we’ve been riddled with anxiety every time she leaves the house.”

The victim’s mother said both she and her husband now constantly track their daughter’s movements through the Find my iPhone app.

“As the victim of this crime, I fully believe this man, or criminal, should receive the maximum sentence for his actions,” the victim said, addressing the courtroom. “My family, along with all my loved ones, have been forever changed. I live in constant fear, and now any normal life encounters are now triggers for me. Any loud noise, random men yelling, or even my preschooler students innocently pretending to shoot a gun with their fingers, are all triggers. I even got a service dog for myself to help subside my fear of going anywhere alone, especially at night. I would not wish what happened to me upon anyone, and I truly believe that if this man is ever free again, he will continue with these horrific, violent crimes or worse. This man is a danger to society.”

###

Police: Second suspect charged in carjacking, rape and attempted murder in Conway

Defendant attorney Kia Wilson said that based on neurological studies, the defendant’s brain was not fully developed at the time of the crime, which should be taken into account in the sentencing. Wilson said the defendant was a minor at the time.
Warren received the maximum prison sentence and is not eligible for parole.
“This case, in the state’s opinion, represents a lot of worst fears coming true,” prosecutor Leigh Waller said addressing the courtroom. “Fear for the victim, certainly for the parents, who were out of state when this happened, and just the citizens of Horry County. The victim was going about their everyday lives when she was snatched up by strangers and subjected to a horrific, violent attack on her most personable being, her body.”

Fifteenth Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said this type of violent, random crime is a rarity in his profession, calling it a “2 percenter.”

“My first thoughts on this case were on how horrific the events were,” he said. “And I tell people all the time that if you’re going to or from work, you’re safe. Unless you’re selling or buying dope or trying to rob people. In this instance, it is an anomaly. This young lady did nothing, she was a true victim. It’s because of her efforts to see justice done that he got such a stiff sentence. And I believe he deserved that sentence.”

Basnight's charges are still pending.
Richardson said Basnight was not as violent and did not participate in the rape and could receive a lighter sentence. Richardson said Basnight still enabled the act as an accomplice.

“We fully expected this to be a trial, because we weren’t expecting to give them anything,” he said.

Attachments

• 1709365917246.png
    1709365917246.png
    73 bytes · Views: 0

Second teen sentenced in 2021 kidnapping, assault near CCU​

By WMBF News Staff
Published: Jul. 27, 2023 at 1:09 PM MST|Updated: Jul. 27, 2023 at 2:20 PM MST

CONWAY, S.C. (WMBF) - An 18-year-old will spend the next two decades behind bars after pleading guilty to charges linked to a 2021 kidnapping near Coastal Carolina University.
The 15th Circuit Solicitors Office said Mije Basnight, of Loris, pleaded guilty Wednesday to kidnapping, armed robbery, and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. Basnight was sentenced to 20 years in prison after his guilty plea, with a judge also ruling he not be eligible for parole.
The charges stemmed from an incident that happened on Oct. 31, 2021, at the Cove Apartments off Highway 544. The victim told authorities she was sitting in her car in a parking lot when two men approached and opened her car door. Basnight held her at gunpoint, with arrest warrants stating he choked her and hit her in the face with the firearm.
Warrants also state the victim was forced into the back of the vehicle where another man, Ja’Rael Warren, sexually assaulted her. After that, documents state the two hit the victim with the back of the car as they were driving away from the scene.
Basnight and Warren then sped away down Highway 544 after the victim landed on the trunk lid before being thrown off.
Warren, now 19, also pleaded guilty and admitted to sexually assaulting the victim earlier this year. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison and is currently serving his sentence at Broad River Correctional Institute.
Jarael Warren

Jarael Warren(JRLDC)
Stay with WMBF News for updates.

Back