TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to ‘invade’ American homes and invoke squatter’s rights

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to ‘invade’ American homes and invoke squatter’s rights​

By
Social Links for Snejana Farberov

Published March 21, 2024, 9:02 a.m. ET

A migrant TikToker with a 500,000-strong online following is offering his comrades tips on how to “invade” unoccupied homes and invoke squatter’s rights in the United States.

Venezuelan national Leonel Moreno, who goes by the handle @leitooficial_25 on TikTok and Instagram and appears to live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, said in a recent video that under US law, “if a house is not inhabited, we can seize it.”

He appeared to be referring to adverse possession laws, commonly known as squatter’s rights, which grant unlawful property occupants rights over the property they occupy without the owner’s consent.

Moreno claimed in the viral TikTok clip, which has drawn close to 4 million views, that he has friends who have “already taken about seven homes.”

A TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to 'invade' American homes and invoke squatter's rights as provocative video is seen more than 3M times. 4
A TikTokker tells illegal immigrants how to “invade” American homes and invoke squatter’s rights in a provocative video seen more than 3 million times. @leitooficial_25/TikTok

A screengrab seen from the viral video. 4
A screengrab from the viral video. @leitooficial_25/TikTok
Migrant plead with the Texas National Guard to be let in on the north embankment of the Rio Grande in El Paso, Texas in order to be processed by Border Patrol on March 20, 2024. 4
Migrants plead with the Texas National Guard to be let in on the north embankment of the Rio Grande in El Paso, Texas, in order to be processed by the Border Patrol on March 20, 2024. Omar Ornelas / El Paso Times / USA TODAY NETWORK
Real estate of a home occupied by squatters at 26-07 160th St.  on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 in the Queens , N.Y. 4
A home occupied by squatters at 26-07 160th St. in Queens, NY, on Tuesday, March 19, 2024. James Keivom

Screen Shot 2024 03 26 at 8.43.48 AM

TikTok Bans User Who Told Immigrants To Steal And Squat In Homes​

Courtneyb

March 26, 2024

In the ever-evolving landscape of social media, where influence can be wielded with a tap and a swipe, the power of a single viral video can sometimes leave lasting reverberations. Recently, a Venezuelan immigrant, Leonel Moreno, known as “Capichi” on TikTok, found himself at the center of a storm after a resurfaced video went viral, prompting widespread outrage and eventually leading to his ban from the platform.

In the now-deleted video, Moreno, with a following nearing 5 million, brazenly shared advice on exploiting squatter’s rights in the United States. “My people,” he proclaimed, “I’ve thought about invading a house in the United States because I’ve learned that there is a law that says that if a house is not inhabited, we can seize it.”

Watch the latest video at foxnews.com
The video quickly amassed over 4 million views before TikTok intervened, removing Moreno’s account from the platform. But the damage was done, sparking fury among Americans who viewed his message as a threat to their property rights and a brazen disregard for the law.

What further fueled the firestorm were Moreno’s other exploits showcased on his TikTok channel. He boasted about his infant daughter being an “anchor baby,” a term used to describe children born in the United States to non-citizen parents, often with the implication of securing legal residency for the family. Moreno also offered tutorials on shoplifting from retail stores, exploiting the vulnerabilities of return policies for financial gain.

Perhaps most shockingly, Moreno was involved in raising funds for a 15-year-old Venezuelan immigrant who had shot a security guard while shoplifting in New York City’s bustling Times Square. These revelations only served to intensify the backlash against him

The issue of squatting is not a novel one in the United States, particularly in areas where housing affordability is a pressing concern. Recent tragic incidents, such as the killing of a woman by teenage squatters in her deceased mother’s apartment in New York City, have highlighted the dangers and complexities surrounding this issue.

Even high-profile figures like NBA star LeBron Stank James have found themselves embroiled in the fight against squatting. In California, where housing prices soar and squatting is rampant, LeBron is building a multi-million dollar estate in Beverly Grove. However, just doors away, a $4.5 million mansion has fallen victim to squatters who transformed it into a lucrative party venue, pocketing over $30,000 a month in fees from party guests.

The response from local authorities has only added fuel to the fire. District Attorney George Gascon, who recently survived a recall effort, stirred controversy by asserting that “squatters have rights.” This stance has only heightened concerns among homeowners, including LeBron James, who find themselves facing an uphill battle against those exploiting legal loopholes for personal gain.

As communities grapple with the fallout from his viral video, it underscores the urgent need for dialogue and action to address the underlying issues of housing insecurity and property rights in America.

Thoughts?

‘Migrant influencer’ who encouraged squatting whines to NY Post that he’s a victim of ‘persecution’ in jailhouse interview​

By
Social Links for Georgia Worrell

Published April 7, 2024, 6:04 a.m. ET

Cry me a Rio Grande river.

The jailed Venezuelan “migrant influencer” who viciously mocked America to his 500,000 TikTok followers and urged border crossers to “invade abandoned houses” now misses the glorious liberties he enjoyed in the US – whining to The Post this week that “I miss my freedom!”

Leonel "Snake Nose" Moreno moaned that he is a victim of unjust “persecution” Wednesday during a 30-minute-long video televisit from inside Geauga County Jail in Chardon, Ohio.

“I came here to the United States because of persecution in my country … But they’re doing the same thing to me in the United States – persecuting me,” Moreno, 27, wailed.

The jailed Venezuelan “migrant influencer who viciously mocked America to his 500,000 TikTok followers and urged border crossers to invade abandoned houses now misses the glorious liberties he enjoyed in the US. 5
The jailed Venezuelan migrant influencer, Leonel Moreno, now misses the glorious liberties he enjoyed in the US. leitooficial_25/Tiktok

“It’s all misinformation in the media about me. They’re defaming me. They’re misrepresenting me in the news … I am a good father, a good husband, a good son, a good person, humble, respectful to people who respect me,” continued Moreno, who spoke only Spanish and hid his face from the video camera’s view for the duration of the interview.

Explore More​

A woman standing in front of a podium with a microphone during a Powerball drawing

Powerball player wins $1.33B jackpot after hours-long drawing delay

Barnacle parking enforcement device attached to the windshield of a car parked on North 9th Street in Reading, Pennsylvania.

NYPD rolls out 'barnacle' windshield boots to force violators to pay

Swarm of 'wannabe thugs' caught on camera trashing police cruiser with cop trapped inside in out-of-control 'street takeover'

“I miss my entire life – I miss my freedom!” he cried.

With Moreno out of the frame, the camera showed inmates in blue-striped jumpsuits sitting at five silver metal tables through a glass window. At one point during the video visit, five scowling inmates looked in his direction, with some indecipherably shouting at him.

“What is happening?” Moreno could be heard muttering to himself.

“I am afraid they’re going to kill me. They’re coming for my life – anyone!” he said.

Leonel Moreno moaned that he is a victim of unjust “persecution Wednesday during a 30-minute-long video televisit from inside Geauga County Jail in Chardon, Ohio. 5
Leonel Moreno moaned that he is a victim of unjust “persecution” during a video televisit from inside Geauga County Jail in Chardon, Ohio. ICE
Moreno said he’s been in touch with his wife, Veronica Torres, since he’s been locked up, and insisted The Post contact her so she could “charge” an undisclosed sum for a “good interview” with him. The Post does not pay for interviews.

Immigrant and Customs Enforcement fugitive operations officers cuffed Moreno in Columbus, Ohio on March 29 – nearly two years after he and Torres illegally crossed the southern border into Eagle Pass, Texas on April 23, 2022.

He was allowed to stay in the country on a Biden administration-approved parole scheme — but then failed to appear for required check-ins with immigration officers, according to ICE.

The Venezuelan national could also face federal firearm charges, according to sources and internal federal documents reviewed by The Post this week.

A series of March 14 videos still on Moreno’s Instagram account show him holding and showing firearms in a gun store, and asking his followers “Which do you like best?”

But Moreno insisted he was thrown in the clink because of his inflammatory social media videos – and ironically vowed to use the First Amendment to fight any charges.

“I came here to the United States because of persecution in my country … But they’re doing the same thing to me in the United States – persecuting me,” Moreno, 27, wailed. 5
“I came here to the United States because of persecution in my country … But they’re doing the same thing to me in the United States – persecuting me,” Moreno, 27, wailed. Leonel Moreno/Instagram
“If Leonel Moreno commits a crime or something then they would be right, but it’s because of my work, so this is unfair … Social media is my job.

“If I want to say something now, I can’t say it … We’ve become an oppressive country instead of a free country where we can express whatever is in our hearts … The United States was created to be that, not to oppress,” he said.

Previously, Moreno posted videos to TikTok and Instagram encouraging other migrants to come to the US, where he said they didn’t have to work because they could make more money from begging on the streets and collecting government handouts.

Previously, Moreno posted videos to TikTok and Instagram encouraging other migrants to come to the US, where he said they didn’t have to work because they could make more money from begging on the streets and collecting government handouts. 5
Previously, Moreno posted videos to TikTok and Instagram encouraging other migrants to come to the US, where he said they didn’t have to work because they could make more money from begging on the streets and collecting government handouts. Leonel Moreno/Instagram
“I didn’t cross the Rio Grande to work like a slave,” Moreno said in one Instagram clip while waving a stack of $100 bills in front of his face.

In the same video, Moreno claimed to have enough money to support himself, Torres, and their daughter – who was born in October – for at least 18 months without having to work.

The Venezuelan also called for his fellow countrymen to unite in support of the 15-year-old migrant who’s accused of firing shots that injured a tourist in Times Square on Feb. 8.

TikTok last week shut down Moreno’s account, which had roughly 500,000 followers, but his Instagram profile is still active and has more than 17,000 followers.

Immigrant and Customs Enforcement fugitive operations officers cuffed Moreno in Columbus, Ohio on March 29 – nearly two years after he and Torres illegally crossed the southern border into Eagle Pass, Texas on April 23, 2022. 5
Immigrant and Customs Enforcement fugitive operations officers cuffed Moreno in Columbus, Ohio on March 29 – nearly two years after he and Torres illegally crossed the southern border into Eagle Pass, Texas on April 23, 2022. leitooficial_25/Instagram
Moreno vowed in a March 17 Instagram video: “Yes, they closed my TikTok account, but I keep earning on Facebook and on Instagram. I won’t earn the same, but I am going to get my TikTok account back. I am going to keep earning money.”

The social media personality insisted to The Post that the person in his videos was just that – a fictional character.

“The person who is in my videos, my character, is not the same person as Leonel Moreno. I am a different person. We can’t confuse one with the other. We can’t confuse my character with my real life.

“I have a sarcastic, dark humor [in the videos]. That’s my job … Leonel Moreno is the opposite,” he said, although he refused to answer whether he personally believes in the disgraceful messages he spewed in his videos.
“One thing is ‘Leito Oficial’” — which means “official Leito,” his nickname, in Spanish — “and another thing is Leonel Moreno. That’s all I can tell you – they are different things,” he said.

Back