Traffic stop nets 9 foreign invaders

Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/newsfd/a....0719.6215.html

6/8 Traffic stop nets 9 illegal immigrants
By JOHNNY JOHNSON, Sentinel Staff
Nine illegal immigrants were arrested Sunday in Nacogdoches in what appears to have been an attempt to smuggle them further north into the United States.

Details about the arrests were sketchy at press time, but according to Nacogdoches County Sheriff Thomas Kerss, the arrests were made when a DPS trooper stopped a van full of people.

DPS Trooper Greg Schroeder made a traffic stop at 2:39 a.m. Sunday. <b
>
Because the report had not yet been completed Monday night, and attempts to reach Schroeder were unsuccessful, DPS officials were short on the details about the traffic stop and the arrests.

r
Information from the DPS headquarters in Austin said 15 peopl
e were arrested and taken to the Nacogdoches County sheriff's office. However, sheriff's officials only knew of nine people arrested in connection with the stop.

"Why DPS initiated the traffic stop, I have no idea," Kerss said. "But I'm sure they had probable cause, and when they stopped the van, they discovered a number of illegal immigrants."

It was also unclear why no one was actually booked in the county jail on charges of "smuggling illegal immigrants," but according to Kerss, there may have been circumstances that prevented those charges.

One possibility is that they were all traveling together, and that even the driver of the vehicle was also an illegal immigrant, Kerss sa
id. Another possibility would be that the "coyote," or smuggler, could have been in a separate vehicle, either tailing or leading the van, in order to avoid arrest, if the van was stopped.

The immigrants were booked in at the jail as a "courtesy hold" for federal immigration authorities Sunday, but jail off
icials confirmed that a number of them had already been transported to an undisclosed location Monday.

"I wish I could give you more information," Kerss said, "but that's about all I know at this point."

A request for additional information was made to the public affairs office of the Department of Homeland Security in Houston. That information was made available as of press time Monday night. The only address given for each person arrested was the address of the Nacogdoches county jail.

Those arrested included:

Luis Alexandes Giron, 19.

Jorge Luiz Espinoza, 18.

Samuel Gonzalez, 22.

Joel Perez
Jaimez, 19.

Rene Garcia Morales, 20.

Carlos Cruz Plata, 30.

Cristian Jose Portillo, 30.

Andres Ramerez, 18.

Ricardo Rios, 32.

<!--em
o&:smas
hr:-->http://newnation.vg/forums/style_emoticons/default/smash.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smash.gif' /> :smash:
beaners

Back