UK: White Banker killed by Blacks

José María

Registered

Banker 'killed by robbers obsessed with rich'.
A wealthy banker was stabbed to death and his wife left with near-fatal knife wounds after two robbers, one of them obsessed by rich people and diamonds, tricked their way into their home with a bogus postal delivery, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.

"Hanson hit Mrs Monckton and then stabbed her twice in the back. He demanded her jewellery in a calm, flat voice. Mrs Monckton had taken off her rings. He demanded her earrings, watch and money."

nmonc22b.jpg

John Monckton

nmonc22a.jpg

Damien Hanson and Eliot White

Murdered Financier Was Held In "Bear Hug"

Monday, 28th November 2005, 17:35
Category: Crime and Punishment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - A City financier murdered in his own home was held in a "bear hug" from behind by an intruder before being repeatedly stabbed by another during a frenzied attack, the Old Bailey heard.

John Monckton and his wife Homeyra were targetted by raiders who forced their way into their luxury west London home because they believed the wealthy couple had Ô�Å¡£20,000 worth of diamonds stashed in the house, the court was told.

The alleged raiders, Damien Hanson and Elliott White, both 24, thought it was "safe" to rob the pair, the court heard.

However brave Mr Monckton, 51, fought back after his 45-year-old wife was
brutally assaulted during th

e terrifying raid, the court was told today.

Hanson and White
both deny murdering Mr Monckton attempting to murder his wife, and conspiracy to rob. Hanson denies robbery, but White admits the offence.

The court heard transcripts of the police interviews White gave after he was arrested following the murder on November 29 last year.

White told officers how he drove the getaway car to a street near the Monckton's home in Chelsea.

Describing what happened when the door was opened by Mr Monckton, White said: "Damien reacted to that and he's through the door. He pulled down the balaclava masking his face. I moved forward at the same time."

Interviewing officer DI Simon Welsh asked: "Did you lend your weight to the door?"

White replied: "He hit the door first and I reacted to it. Mr Monckton was standing on the right and the woman was on the stairs."

DI Welsh sa
id: "Straight away you had gone over to Mr Monckton?"

White replied: "I was receiving blows to my face and moving forward at the same time."

He told the police he had held Mr Monckton "in a
kind of bear hug" and said Mr Monckton shouted 'get out of my house!' as he desperately fought back.

He said: "Once I got hold of him from behind I had been hit a few times, but at that stage it was him trying to use his arms.

When asked: "Did he not struggle more because his wife was being assaulted?" he replied: "I can't remember his struggling increasing when his wife was saying she was faint or feeling faint. I did not take notice."

He added: "The only thing I can remember saying to him was 'everything would be alright - don't struggle!'"

Describing how his alleged accomplice Hanson launched into the attack on Monckton, he said: "Then he started punchin
g Mr Monckton, I can't recount how many times. At first it seemed like in the rib
area an
d then went a little higher."

DI Welsh quizzed: "You felt him slump in your arms?"

White replied: "It's like he went on his knees. He just fell out of my arms and hit the floor. He laid out on the floor."

Recalling a phone cal
l the pair had a few days before the alleged attack, White told interviewing officers: "He [Hanson] basically said it's a rich house in Chelsea. There is really good diamonds and they would be worth Ô�Å¡£20,000.

"There was no talk of robbery. He just said there was a house. He used the word 'safe.' He said it was 'safe.' He never indicated there would be any sort of activity apart from getting into the house and taking the diamonds."

Asked to explain, White added: "When I said 'safe' I meant in terms of difficulty. The way he indicated to me was like safety,
like I did not have no reasons to be worried."

DI Welsh probed: "The planning to me seems non-existent and he has said it was a safe job and there were diamonds there."

White reacted: "He's a prick, he's a prick. I did trust him."

White told officers that he had no idea where the Monckton's lived or what the plan was as Hanson had told him he would take care of everything.

The trial continues

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=G...eld_in_bear_hug

_41126262_hanson203_met.jpg

Damien Hanson

Man guilty of City banker murder

A man who stabbed a City banker to death in front of his family during a robbery at their London home has been convicted of murder.
The Old Bailey heard Damien Hanson, 24, attacked John Monckton and tried to murder his wife Homeyra at their home in west London last year.

Jurors heard Hanson, of no fixed address, was obsessed with rich people.

The jury is still considering verdicts relating to Elliot White, 24, who denies murder and attempted murder.

But they were sent home for the night after sending a note to the judge saying they could make no further progress on Thursday.

Prosecutors claimed White posed as a postman to help Hanson trick his way into the high-security house a

t an exclusive Chelsea address on 29 November.

Wearing a balaclava and armed
with a gun and a knife Hanson burst into the house and attacked Mr Monckton, stabbing him in the heart and lung, and his wife.

Mrs Monckton, 46, told the court how Hanson "calmly and coldly" demanded she hand over her two rings and a watch worth about Ô�Å¡£4,000.

After the robbery the couple's nine-year-old daughter Isobel, who saw some of the attack, answered her mother's cries for help and phoned the police.

She described how she ran down the stairs and saw "blood all over the floor" and on the walls.

Prosecutor Richard Horwell said the injuries to the victim's hands showed he had tried to fend off repeated knife attacks

Mrs Monckton was stabbed twice in the back which left her paralysed and she now uses a walking stick.

Mr Horwell told jurors: "Every householder's nightmare became a reality for the Monckton family.

"Th
e ho
use
was like a fortress - heavily and obviously protected by various security systems."

Throughout the case the prosecution maintained the coup
le were targeted because of their wealth.

Copies of the Sunday Times Rich List and the Mail on Sunday's Rich Report were found by police when they searched Hanson's room at a bail hostel in Streatham, south London.

The court also heard Hanson had been released from jail for attempted murder and robbery, three months before the attack at the Moncktons' home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4524810.stm

_41130610_elliotwhite203_met.jpg

Elliot White

Robber guilty of killing banker

A second man has been convicted of killing a banker in front of his family during a robbery at their London home.
Elliot White, 24, was found guilty of the manslaughter of John Monckton at his home in Chelsea, west London, last November - but was cleared of murder.

White, from west London, admitted his part in the robbery but said he never agreed to take part in a killing.

His accomplice, Damien Hanson, 24, has been convicted of murder and attempting to murder Mr Monckton's wife.

The jury is still trying to decide whether White is guilty of the attempted murder of Homeyra Monckton, 46 - a charge he denies. Jurors will resume deliberations on Monday.

Prosecutor Richard Ho

rwell told jurors the attack was "every householder's nightmare".

Hanson and Wh
ite, who were childhood friends, burst into the house, in Upper Cheyne Row early in the evening on 29 November 2004.

White had tricked Mr Monckton into opening the door of the heavily-secured house, described as "like a fortress", by posing as a postman with a parcel.

Hanson, who was said to be obsessed with wealth stabbed Mr Monckton in the heart and lung and his wife twice in the back, before "calmly and coldly" demanding her jewellery.

The couple's daughter Isobel, 9, rang the police after the robbery.

Her father died soon afterwards but Mrs Monckton survived although she still requires a stick as a walking aid.

During the trial, a taped police interview was played to the court in which White admitted knowing Mrs Monckton would be at home.

But he added: "I don't stab people. I don't do that type of thing."

The
trial heard White told police he had been restraining Mr Monckton when "another person" attacked him - and that he thought the banker was being punched, not st
abbed.

He said he pulled away only to be attacked himself by the knifeman. Some of White's blood was left at the scene.

Early release

Hanson, who was masked during the attack, had claimed he was never at the Moncktons' house that night and had been visiting his sister in Brixton.

But the jury did not believe him and convicted him unanimously of murder and robbery.

During the trial they were told of Hanson's criminal record - he had only been released from jail three months earlier, after serving just over half of a 12-year sentence for attempted murder and robbery.

Referring to Hanson's early release, Harry Fletcher from the National Association of Probation Officers, called for an independent investigation into Hanson's "extremely serious offence". <b
r>
Th
e inqui
ry should look at the reasons for the parole decision and any findings should be acted on immediately, he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/
london/4533876.stm

0,,2005590128,00.jpg

Earl Bimbo White

Monckton killer's brother shot in raid

Tuesday, 20th December 2005, 13:19
Category: Business

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - The crack addict brother of one of the man who killed City banker John Monckton is believed to have been shot by armed police while escaping arrest.

Earl 'Bimbo' White, 29, is still on the run after police marksmen opened fire as they tried to arrest him over a series of armed burglaries and robberies outside his mother's Fulham home.

It is understood he was hit in the back but has not been to hospital for medical treatment.<

br>
Last week his brother Elliot, 24, was convicted at the Old Bailey of the manslaughter of the millionaire ban
ker who was stabbed to death in his Chelsea home.

But in a separate incident on 7 December armed officers tried to arrest crack cocaine addict Earl after a four month crime spree which began in August this year.

A VW Golf believed to have been used during the raids was spotted by a routine police patrol and armed response vehicles were brought in as back-up.

Today it was revealed that the Independent Police Complaints Commission are examining whether White was shot during the failed arrest.

An IPCC spokesman said White may have been hit but would not confirm if the officer who fired the gun believed he had hit White or not.

He said: "We are investigating this and I cannot confirm who we have interviewed or what the results will be at this time. It may take time before we have any answers available.

"I cannot say whether White was hit du
ring
the
incident but that is something we are investigating. I can confirm that only one bullet was fired by a police officer.

"We always deal
with any public discharge of firearms. We will be trying to determine why it was that armed police were called, why the officer fired, what happened and whether or not anyone was hit by a bullet."

IPCC Commissioner Nicola Williams said: "The IPCC has decided to manage the inquiry into a London firearms incident.

"The Metropolitan Police Service referred the discharge of a firearm at a vehicle in Strode Road, London SW6 on Wednesday 7 December. As the vehicle made off from the scene, it is unclear whether any injury was
caused or not.

"I have decided that the investigation should be managed by our senior investigator Peter Orr and deputy senior investigator Bill Stone.

"They will direct and control the inquiry that will be conducted by the Metropolitan Police Service's Internal Investigat
ions Com
mand. As
is normal after any public discharge of firearms, the investigation will seek to find out what happened."

Earl who detectives confirmed goes under the name Earl hall or his nicknam
e 'Bimbo' has a long criminal record after spending much of his teens behind bars for drugs and robbery offences.

The shooting could not be reported at the time because of Elliot's ongoing trial at the Old Bailey.

Crimestoppers are offering a Ô�Å¡£1000 reward for any information leading to his arrest but police today warned people not approach Earl who has a history of violent behaviour.

A police spokeswoman said: "We are appealing for assistance in tracing 29 year-old Earl Justin White who is suspected of a string of crimes in the Hammersmith and Fulham area.

"Crimestoppers are offering a Ô�Å¡£1,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

"He is wanted in connection with a series of burglary, robbery and aggravated burglary offences co
mmitted sinc
e August 200

"White is considered dangerous and the public is urged NOT to approach him but to call police on 999.

"Anybody with information on his whereabouts should call Hammersmith and Fulham Police on 020 8246 2621 or Cri
mestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111."

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=Y...er_shot_in_raid

Robber jailed for banker murder

A man who stabbed City banker John Monckton to death during a robbery at his home has been jailed for a minimum of 36 years.

Damien Hanson, 24, was handed three life sentences at the Old Bailey for murdering the 46-year-old in Chelsea, west London, in November 2004.

He was also convicted of attempting to murder Mr Monckton's wife Homeyra.

His co-accused Elliot White, 24, was jailed for 18 years for manslaughter, wounding with intent and robbery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4676898.stm

Monckton killing: probation officers suspended

Published: 28 February 2006
A catalogue of errors by probation and parole staff in the management of two criminals who killed financier John Monckton were identified by an official inquiry today.

In a highly critical report, chief inspector of probation Andrew Bridges said there had been a "collective failure" in the supervision of Damien Hanson and Elliot White.

Four members of Probation Service staff have been suspended following the report.

Mr Bridges said it was not his role to recommend disciplinary action against individuals, but he said his review had found "serious deficiencies" and he criticised some of those involved in the case.

"Our report is clear," he said. "The mismanagement of these cases did fail to reduce the risk posed to the public by th
ese two men."

Mr Monckton was killed during a robbery at his three-storey home in Chelsea, wes
t London, in November 2004.

Mr Bridges' report was commissioned by the Home Secretary in the wake of the convictions of Hanson and White at the Old Bailey last year.

The report identified, but does not name, five individuals involved in the management of Hanson's case, and two in the handling of White's supervision.

Mr Bridges said: "It is not our role to start or recommend any disciplinary proceedings against individuals - that is the role of the employing authorities."

The most "glaring deficiency" in the management of Hanson's case was the fact that he was required to report to a probation office inside an exclusion zone that had been set up following his release from an earlier jail sentence.

This was "utterly extraordinary" and completely unacceptable, Mr Bridges said.

"Whil
e it is not possible to eliminate risk altogether when managing an offender in the community, the public is entitled to expect the authorities to do their job properly in managing serious and dangerous of
fenders - which simply did not happen in the cases of Hanson and White," he said.

"This independent review has identified many serious deficiencies amounting to a collective failure in the way these two men were managed."

In the case of Hanson, who was convicted of Mr Monckton's murder, there were "significant failures" in the way he was supervised after his release from prison.

Crucially, he was not dealt with as a high risk offender despite having previously been assessed as such, the report found.

The parole board's original decision to release him was "defensible" , but the release plan drawn up was "not fit for purpose".

In the case of White, who was convicted of Mr Monckton's manslaughter,
there was a failure to enforce his drug treatment and testing order properly.

"We are very critical of the fact that individuals who found themselves having to deal with these cases, under unsatisfactory organisational arrangements, did not show greater initiative in making decisions and ta
king action to ensure that the cases were better managed," Mr Bridges said.

The report contains a series of recommendations for the agencies involved in the management and supervision of Hanson and White.

It said their cases illustrated "the exact opposite of effective offender management", describing the way they were dealt with as " offender mis-management".

"The cases have clear implications for changes in policy and practice that could significantly improve public safety and confidence," the report concluded.

"It is vital that everyone connected with the early release of prisoners and the supervision of offenders in
the community commits themselves to improving practice to ensure the mistakes made in these cases are not repeated."

The report said it was impossible to know whether Mr Monckton would still be alive today if Hanson and White had been dealt with properly by the authorities.

But Mr Bridges said their cases were not exceptional and said probation and parole staff must l
earn the lessons from the mistakes that were made.

Hanson, 25, was sentenced to life with a minimum tariff of 36 years earlier this month for Mr Monckton's murder.

He also received automatic life sentences for attempted murder and robbery, with specified terms of 10 and six years respectively.

White, 24, was jailed for a total of 18 years for Mr Monckton's manslaughter, wounding with intent and robbery.

The pair tricked their way into the wealthy financier's elegant home in Upper Cheyne Row in Chelsea and left him dead, his wife Homeyra fighting for her life
and their young daughter Isobel terrified.

Hanson had been let out of jail only a few months earlier, having been released halfway through a 12-year sentence for attempted murder.

An official risk assessment had calculated his chances of re-offending were 91% yet his case was managed at the lowest risk level.

White was out on bail at the time of the robbery awaiting a court appearance for heroin and cocaine charges, for wh
ich he was later sentenced to three years.

He had also tested positive for cocaine, cannabis and morphine in the month before Mr Monckton's killing and had a series of convictions for drug offences.

The Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the failings identified in Mr Bridges' report were "unacceptable" and that he took responsibility for the case.

"The murder of Mr Monckton was an appalling act and when the judgment was finally given, it was obvious that there were major failings in probation and
parole in terms of the dealings with Hanson and White," he said.

"What it demonstrates absolutely clearly is that there were unacceptable failings in terms of public protection which were the responsibility of the London Probation Service and the Parole Board.

"I deeply regret that this happened and pass my full regret and apologies to the family and friends of John Monckton."

He added: "I take responsibility and my responsibility is to do whatever I can to make sure it cannot happen again.

"I commit myself to bringing about changes in the public protection system."

Mr Clarke said he accepted the report's recommendations "unequivocally" but said it was necessary to go still further to ensure confidence in the system was restored.

"It is necessary to look very carefully at the way in which we supervise people who were convicted before 2004," he said.

"I will report
back by the Easter recess."

He added that further measures may be necessary to ensure such a tragedy could not happen again.

He also said that individual responsibility for offenders was a factor.

Mr Clarke admitted there was always a risk element to managing offenders in the community, but gave a guarantee that he would make the necessary changes to ensure a repeat of the Monckton tragedy was as unlikely as possible.

Harry Fletcher, assistant general secretary of probation union Napo, said the service had to be "properly resourced in order to carry out its duties efficiently".

He said: "During 2
004, when this tragedy occurred, the London Probation Service was in financial chaos and facing an overspend, was undergoing reorganisation and was experiencing a recruitment freeze.

"Staff were not allowed to carry out routine prison visits and individual boroughs had up to 25% probation officer vacancies.

&q
uot;During 2004, 1,478 licensees came under the supervision of the Probation Service, where the risk to the public was considered very high and a further 11,280, where the risk was described as high.

"In all, 1,374 of this caseload were recalled to custody, and 79 (0.6%) of the total were charged with a further serious offence."

Mr Fletcher said staff had also been hampered by a new IT assessment system known as the Offender Assessment System (OASys). He said they had found it " poorly designed" and claimed its prime purpose was "producing data for the Home Office, rather than analysing the behaviour of offenders".

He continued: "The situation in Inner London Probation is still chro
nic. There are 160 probation officer vacancies and up to 300 prisoners, serving four years or more, have not been allocated.

"It is, however, encouraging that London's performance is much improved since 2004. The service has the potential to
do much better with adequate resourcing."

Mr Fletcher said: "The suspension of four staff members causes Napo great concern. It is absolutely essential that corporate responsibility is accepted when further offences are committed by former prisoners on licence. The Probation Service cannot offer 24-hour surveillance in individual cases."

The Probation Service is expected to release a statement about the suspensions later.

The shadow home secretary David Davis said: "This problem starts with a policy that has created a lack of prison places - the direct consequence of which is that people who should be in prison are not in prison.

"This inevitably puts people at risk - especially when compounded by the failures we have learnt of today.

"The public
will properly demand that the Government is more serious about maintaining their safety. This can only be achieved by having a policy that allows all dangerous criminals to be l
ocked up for a proper period of time."

A catalogue of errors by probation and parole staff in the management of two criminals who killed financier John Monckton were identified by an official inquiry today.

In a highly critical report, chief inspector of probation Andrew Bridges said there had been a "collective failure" in the supervision of Damien Hanson and Elliot White.

Four members of Probation Service staff have been suspended following the report.

Mr Bridges said it was not his role to recommend disciplinary action against individuals, but he said his review had found "serious deficiencies" and he criticised some of those involved in the case.

"Our report is clear," he said. "The mismanagement of these cases did fail to reduce the risk posed to the public by these two men."

Mr Monckton was killed durin
g a robbery at his three-storey home in Chelsea, west London, in November 2004.
<
br />Mr Bridges' report was commissioned by the Home Secretary in the wake of the convictions of Hanson and White at the Old Bailey last year.

The report identified, but does not name, five individuals involved in the management of Hanson's case, and two in the handling of White's supervision.

Mr Bridges said: "It is not our role to start or recommend any disciplinary proceedings against individuals - that is the role of the employing authorities."

The most "glaring deficiency" in the management of Hanson's case was the fact that he was required to report to a probation office inside an exclusion zone that had been set up following his release from an earlier jail sentence.

This was "utterly extraordinary" and completely unacceptable, Mr Bridges said.

"While it is not possible to eliminate risk altogether when managing an offender in the community, the public is entitled to expect the authorities to
d
o their job properly in managing serious and dangerous offenders - which simply did not happen in the cases of Hanson and White," he said.

"This independent review has identified many serious deficiencies amounting to a collective failure in the way these two men were managed."

In the case of Hanson, who was convicted of Mr Monckton's murder, there were "significant failures" in the way he was supervised after his release from prison.

Crucially, he was not dealt with as a high risk offender despite having previously been assessed as such, the report found.

The parole board's original decision to release him was "defensible" , but the release plan drawn up was "not fit for purpose".

In the case of White, who was convicted of Mr Monckton's manslaughter, there was a failure to enforce his drug treatment and testing order properly.

"We are very critical of the fact that individuals
who found themselves having to deal with these cases, under unsatisfactory organisational arrangements, d
id not show greater initiative in making decisions and taking action to ensure that the cases were better managed," Mr Bridges said.

The report contains a series of recommendations for the agencies involved in the management and supervision of Hanson and White.

It said their cases illustrated "the exact opposite of effective offender management", describing the way they were dealt with as " offender mis-management".

"The cases have clear implications for changes in policy and practice that could significantly improve public safety and confidence," the report concluded.

"It is vital that everyone connected with the early release of prisoners and the supervision of offenders in the community commits themselves to improving practice to ensure the mistakes made in these cases are not repeated."

The report
said it was impossible to know whether Mr Monckton would still be alive today if Hanson and White had been dealt with properly by the authorities.

But Mr Bridges said their cases were no
t exceptional and said probation and parole staff must learn the lessons from the mistakes that were made.

Hanson, 25, was sentenced to life with a minimum tariff of 36 years earlier this month for Mr Monckton's murder.

He also received automatic life sentences for attempted murder and robbery, with specified terms of 10 and six years respectively.

White, 24, was jailed for a total of 18 years for Mr Monckton's manslaughter, wounding with intent and robbery.

The pair tricked their way into the wealthy financier's elegant home in Upper Cheyne Row in Chelsea and left him dead, his wife Homeyra fighting for her life and their young daughter Isobel terrified.

Hanson had been let out of jail only a few months earlier, having been released halfway th
rough a 12-year sentence for attempted murder.
An official risk assessment had calculated his chances of re-offending were 91% yet his case was managed at the lowest risk level.

White was out on bail at the time of the robbery awaiting a c
ourt appearance for heroin and cocaine charges, for which he was later sentenced to three years.

He had also tested positive for cocaine, cannabis and morphine in the month before Mr Monckton's killing and had a series of convictions for drug offences.

The Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the failings identified in Mr Bridges' report were "unacceptable" and that he took responsibility for the case.

"The murder of Mr Monckton was an appalling act and when the judgment was finally given, it was obvious that there were major failings in probation and parole in terms of the dealings with Hanson and White," he said.

"What it demonstrates absolutely clearly is that there were unacc
eptable failings in terms of public protection which were the responsibility of the London Probation Service and the Parole Board.

"I deeply regret that this happened and pass my full regret and apologies to the family and friends of John Monckton."

He added: "I take responsibility and my responsibility is to
do whatever I can to make sure it cannot happen again.

"I commit myself to bringing about changes in the public protection system."

Mr Clarke said he accepted the report's recommendations "unequivocally" but said it was necessary to go still further to ensure confidence in the system was restored.

"It is necessary to look very carefully at the way in which we supervise people who were convicted before 2004," he said.

"I will report back by the Easter recess."

He added that further measures may be necessary to ensure such a tragedy could not happen again.

He also said that individual responsibility for offenders was a factor.

Mr Clarke admitted there was always a risk element to managing offenders in the community, but gave a guarantee that he would make the necessary changes to ensure a repeat of the Monckton tragedy was as unlikely as possible.

Harry Fletcher, assistant general secretary of probation union Napo, said the service had to be "properly resourced in order to carr
y out its duties efficiently".

He said: "During 2004, when this tragedy occurred, the London Probation Service was in financial chaos and facing an overspend, was undergoing reorganisation and was experiencing a recruitment freeze.

"Staff were not allowed to carry out routine prison visits and individual boroughs had up to 25% probation officer vacancies.

"During 2004, 1,478 licensees came under the supervision of the Probation Service, where the risk to the public was considered very high and a furthe
r 11,280, where the risk was described as high.

"In all, 1,374 of this caseload were recalled to custody, and 79 (0.6%) of the total were charged with a further serious offence."

Mr Fletcher said staff had also been hampered by a new IT assessment system known as the Offender Assessment System (OASys). He said they had found it " poorly designed" and claimed its prime purpose was "producing data for the Home Office, rather than analysing the behaviour of offenders".

He continued: "The s
ituation in Inner London Probation is still chronic. There are 160 probation officer vacancies and up to 300 prisoners, serving four years or more, have not been allocated.

"It is, however, encouraging that London's performance is much improved since 2004. The service has the potential to do much better with adequate resourcing."

Mr Fletcher said: "The suspension of four staff members causes Napo great concern. It i
s absolutely essential that corporate responsibility is accepted when further offences are committed by former prisoners on licence. The Probation Service cannot offer 24-hour surveillance in individual cases."

The Probation Service is expected to release a statement about the suspensions later.

The shadow home secretary David Davis said: "This problem starts with a policy that has created a lack of prison places - the direct consequence of which is that people who should be in prison are not in prison.

"This inevitably puts people at risk - especially when compounded by the f
ailures we have learnt of today.

"The public will properly demand that the Government is more serious about maintaining their safety. This can only be achieved by having a policy that allows all dangerous criminals to be locked up for a proper period of time."

temp link

Back