World’s worst drug lord escapes Mexican prison through tunnel

https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/verdict-reached-in-el-chapo-trial/

El Chapo found guilty on all counts at trial
By Emily Saul
February 12, 2019 | 12:18pm | Updated

A Brooklyn jury on Tuesday found Mexican kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman guilty of running a massive, violent trafficking operation that for decades pumped billions of dollars worth of drugs into the U.S.

The drug lord looked stunned as the panel handed down the verdict on its sixth day of deliberations — convicting him on all counts, including operating a continuing criminal enterprise, use of firearms and various charges of conspiracy to import and distribute cocaine, heroin and marijuana.

Dressed in a gray suit, Guzman then looked for his wife, ex-beauty queen Emma Coronel Aispuro, in the gallery — who flashed him a supportive thumbs up as her eyes welled with tears.

“Today I’m not going to cry. Why? No one has died here,” the 29-year-old told a reporter in Spanish after being offered a tissue, according to El Diario.

The jurors deliberated for almost 35 hours — peppering Brooklyn federal court Judge Brian Cogan with requests to review witness testimony and questions about the charges — and Cogan told the panelists their diligence made him “very proud to be an American.”

Guzman, who twice escaped prison in Mexico, now faces up to life behind bars. He is set to be sentenced on June 25.

“It is a sentence from which there is no escape and no return,” US Attorney Richard Donohue said outside the court.

“This conviction is a victory for the am people, who have suffered so long and so much while Guzman made billions pouring poison over our southern border …There are those who say the war on drugs is not worth fighting. Those people are wrong.”

Homeland Security Investigations’ Special Agent in Charge Angel Melendez added that Chapo’s conviction will send a message to other kingpins: “You are not unreachable, you are not untouchable, and your day will come.”

Meanwhile, defense attorney Jeffrey Lichtman said his team “fought like complete savages” for Guzman, but acknowledged the evidence against his client “was overwhelming.”

Lichtman said Chapo remained “upbeat” after the damning verdict.

“He knew the odds. This was a case that was literally — literally — an avalanche of evidence. So much we could barely wade through it,” said the attorney.

He said the defense would appeal.

Tuesday’s decision followed a mammoth 11-week trial with testimony from more than 50 prosecution witnesses — including 14 former associates of Guzman’s who took the stand against him — and a 30-minute, single-witness defense case.

The historic trial often unfolded more like a telenovela than a prosecution — chronicling the 61-year-old’s rise to leader of the infamous Sinaloa Cartel over the course of three decades, as witnesses detailed his pivot from a lavish lifestyle in the 1990s to hiding out in the mountains, on the run from authorities, the following decade.

Testimony from those closest to Guzman ranged from comical to chilling, including a naked escape from law enforcement through a tunnel network he’d built under his bathtub — and the cold-blooded murders he himself committed.

The accounts painted Guzman as a ruthless and calculating drug lord, who was paranoid to the point of obsession, going so far as to install spyware on the devices used by his associates, wife and mistresses.

Thanks to the kingpin’s snooping, the FBI managed to score access to not only those communications but also Guzman’s own encrypted servers after agents flipped his IT guy.

That access, in addition to other intercepts and a trove of belongings the kingpin abandoned at an oceanside mansion during a raid, were critical in his conviction.

The trial also served as a primer on the bloody turf wars across Mexico, as rival cartels battled for unencumbered access to the United States — and its appetite for cocaine.

Prosecutors detailed in opening statements how Guzman’s organization had trafficked in more than 328 million lines of cocaine — enough to provide more than a line for every person in the US.

Over the course of the trial, jurors were shown stockpiles of seized kilos, in addition to AK-47 rifles, grenades, rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons discovered during various raids.

The panel also heard of rampant corruption across the country, ranging from bribes paid to low-level law enforcement to allegations of multimillion-dollar payments that implicated the current Mexican president and his predecessors.

Guzman’s defense spent the case attempting to undermine the integrity of the cooperating witnesses who took the stand against Guzman.

His lawyers repeatedly characterized him as a scapegoat who’d been persecuted, while his at-large partner, Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada, was allowed to run free.

The jurors have been kept partially sequestered, and anonymous, for their safety.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/26/el-ch...-for-retrial-after-jurors-tell-all-interview/

El Chapo’s lawyers file motion for retrial after juror’s tell-all interview
By Lia Eustachewich and Aaron Feis
March 26, 2019 | 11:58am | Updated March 26, 2019 | 12:29pm

Lawyers for convicted drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman have filed a motion that could lead to a retrial — citing a juror’s tell-all interview that exposed the panel’s rampant dysfunction and disregard for trial procedure.

The motion, filed Tuesday in Brooklyn federal court, seeks an evidentiary hearing to sort out whether the anonymous juror’s bombshell claims to Vice News — including that panelists ignored the judge’s orders to avoid news coverage of the case — denied El Chapo a fair trial.

“In a case generating publicity the Court called ‘unparalleled,’ a juror contacted a reporter a day after the verdict to volunteer that panel members had violated their oath and scorned the Court’s incessant instructions by actively following and discussing the blizzard of media coverage, and falsely denying it upon judicial inquiry, throughout the three-month trial,” argued attorneys Marc Fernich and Jeffrey Lichtman in the 26-page filing.

“If a justice system’s measure is how it treats the most reviled and unpopular, then ours may have failed Joaquin Guzman by denying him the fair trial before an untainted jury to which he’s constitutionally entitled,” the filing continued.

Guzman, 61, was convicted in February on all counts, including operating a criminal enterprise and conspiring to import and distribute cocaine, heroin and marijuana.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/17/el-chapo-whines-about-torture-of-lockup-before-sentencing/

El Chapo whines about lockup before getting life in prison, plus 30 years
By Andrew Denney and Emily Saul

Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman spoke publicly for the first time since his conviction on Wednesday, complaining to a judge that his incarceration at a Manhattan lockup has been absolute “torture” before being sentenced to life in prison plus 30 years.

“I’ve been forced to drink unsanitary water. I’ve been denied access to fresh air and sunlight. The only air I have in my cell comes through in the air vent,” the 62-year-old convicted drug kingpin told Brooklyn federal Judge Brian Cogan ahead of his sentencing. :rolleyes:

Guzman, who used a translator, continued reading from a piece of paper.

“In order to sleep, I have to clog my ears with toilet paper because of the air from the air duct,” he groused. “My wife has not been allowed to this day to visit me, I have not been allowed to hug my daughters.

“It has been physical, emotional and mental torture.”

The once-powerful leader of the Sinaloa cartel blasted Cogan, claiming he received an unfair trial that was tainted by juror misconduct. He was referring to an article that said multiple jurors in the trial violated a court order by reading news reports and social media posts about the case.

“I was extradited to the US to have a fair trial, where justice would be blind to my fame and would not be a defining factor in the administration of justice,” he started off saying. “But what happened was actually the opposite.

“You didn’t want to question the jury, so what you did was you alleged the actions of the jurors were not important because there was a lot of evidence against me,” Guzman railed. “If that was the case, why did we go to trial? The jury was not necessary then. Why didn’t you just sentence me [immediately]?”

He continued, “I take advantage of the opportunity to say there was no justice here. My case was stained and you denied me a fair trial while the whole world was watching.

“The United States is no better than any other corrupt country,” he concluded.

Guzman was then sentenced by Cogan to life in prison, the minimum he faced, plus an additional 30 years for his conviction for unlawful use of firearms, including machine guns.

“We’re here for sentencing,” said Cogan. “There’s not much I have to say about that because Congress has mandated that I impose life plus 30 years’ imprisonment. That’s the law.”

The judge also ordered him to forfeit $12.6 billion. Restitution will be determined at a later date.

Earlier in the morning, Guzman entered the courtroom sporting a mustache and a suit and tie and blew a kiss to his wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, who was seated in the packed gallery.

He started off his statement by thanking his family, friends and legal team for their “unconditional support through this long process.”

“They have supported me and will continue to support me,” he said.

When the roughly hour-long hearing was over, Guzman blew another kiss to his wife and thumped his chest as he was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. His eyes appeared red.

Guzman has been holed up in solitary confinement at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan since his 2017 arrest.

His lawyers have repeatedly complained to the court about the conditions at the fortress-like lockup. Last month, they asked for the purported billionaire to be allowed outdoor exercise, earplugs and bottled water.

The diminutive druglord was convicted in February on a slew of drug-trafficking charges.

Though he’ll return to the MCC for now, Guzman will soon be assigned to a new home by the Bureau of Prisons — likely at ADX Florence, the US’s only supermax lockup in Colorado — where he’ll remain for the rest of his life.

Guzman, whose nickname means “Shorty,” has twice escaped prison in Mexico, once by hiding in a laundry cart and the second time by slipping through a mile-long tunnel his cohorts built leading to his prison cell.

Back