Murder Rate Skyrockets in Chester, PA where 73.99% of the population is African American

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/12/19/teen-shot-chester/

Police: 16-Year-Old Boy Found Shot In Alley Near School In Chester
December 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) – Police in Chester City are investigating after they say a teen was shot just blocks away from a school on Tuesday afternoon.

It happened around 2:40 p.m. in the 1200 block of West 8th Street, just blocks away from the STEM Academy :confused: Chester School.

Officers who were in the area of Chester High School responded to the scene after hearing approximately six gunshots.

Police say they found a 16-year-old boy in an alleyway suffering from a gunshot wound to the left side of his head.

He was transported to Crozer Chester Medical Center where authorities say he appears to be in good condition.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with any information is asked to call police at 610-447-8420

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...wounded-after-accidental-shooting-in-chester/

Police: Teen Wounded After Accidental Shooting In Chester
December 21, 2017 at 11:03 am

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — Police are investigating what led to a teen being wounded in Chester after what they call an accidental shooting on Thursday morning.

Authorities received the call of a shooting in the 2100 block of West 9th Street around 9:01 a.m.

There is no word yet on what exactly happened but police report there were no transports made.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...e-Delaware-County-Pennsylvania-467781413.html

Teen Gunned Down While Walking Home from Store in Chester
The victim's mother was with him as he died from his wounds.
By David Chang and Denise Nakano
Published at 10:43 PM EST on Jan 2, 2018 | Updated at 12:06 AM EST on Jan 3, 2018

It was two days before Christmas when Lea Floyd experienced every mother’s worst nightmare. Floyd was inside her home on Clover Street in Chester City, Pennsylvania when she heard the sound of gunshots. She then saw her 18-year-old son Julian DeShields on the ground about a half a block away.

“By the time I got to him, he was gone,” Floyd said.

DeShields had picked up food from a store on the 900 block of Clover Street shortly after 1 a.m. on Dec. 23. As he walked back to his home, at least one gunman opened fire, striking DeShields in the back. Floyd was there as her youngest son took his last breath.

“It was just me and him on the street,” Floyd said. “Just me and him at birth. And me and him at death.”

DeShields was a senior in high school who had dreams of moving on to bigger and better things after graduating.

“He wanted to go to college, go to Lincoln,” Floyd said. “He wanted to become an FBI Agent :rolleyes:, played bassetball :rolleyes:, an A/B student. First time on the honor roll.”

More than a week after DeShields’ murder, police continue to search for four teen suspects in the homicide. Minutes after the shooting, the suspects were spotted inside the same restaurant DeShields had picked up the food from, investigators said.

Suspects-in-Shooting.jpg

Police say the four teens captured here on surveillance are suspects in the murder of 18-year-old Julian DeShields.
Photo credit: Chester Police

Only a month before his death, DeShields posted on social media, “When I die, what would my heaven look like? I hope a lot of candy.” Now his mother is wondering whether her son knew something she didn’t. She does know one thing for certain however.

“I’ll miss him for the rest of my life,” she said.

Police have received several leads since the shooting and believe the suspects are kids from the neighborhood. As the investigation continues, DeShields' family members are trying to cope with their loss.

“I’m devastated,” said DeShields’ brother DJ Floyd. “I’m heartbroken. I wish this gun violence would stop for real.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/01/07/delco-shooting/

Police: Shooting Leaves Teenager Injured In Delaware County
January 7, 2018 at 6:18 pm

CHESTER, PA (CBS) — Police are investigating after a teenager was shot in Delaware County, Sunday evening.

Authorities say they responded to reports of shots fired just after 5:30 p.m. in the area of Sun Village in Chester.

The victim, a 14-year-old boy was said to have been struck once in the foot along the 1100 block of White Street, according to police.

Officials say paramedics transported the boy to an area hospital, where he was treated further for his injuries.

The teenager told police that an unknown vehicle was driving in the area, and that is when he heard shots being fire. Authorities say the boy recalled seeing flashes of light, which police believe were muzzle flashes.

Chester police say the boy has since been released from the hospital, and no arrests have been made at this time.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/05/06/police-drive-by-shooting-3-injured/

Police: Drive-By Shooting Leaves 3 People Injured In Chester City
May 6, 2018 at 1:01 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Three people were shot in a drive-by shooting in Chester City.

Fire crews and police responded to a call at 1209 Cuhlane Street.

There are no updates on the victims’ conditions, but police say their injuries are not life-threatening.

Police are investigating.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/05/10/officer-involved-shooting-chester/

Sources: Officer Shoots Armed Suspect In Chester
May 10, 2018 at 11:55 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) – Police in Delaware County are investigating after an officer opened fire on an armed suspect on Thursday night, sources tell CBS3.

It happened around 7:45 p.m. on the 100 block of West 22nd Street in Chester.

Sources say an Upland Borough officer exchanged gunfire with an armed suspect following a foot pursuit.

The suspect was struck and transported to an area hospital. The suspect’s condition is unknown at this time.

The officer was not injured in the shooting.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/12/29/attempted-robber-dead-victim-hurt-in-chester-officials/

Attempted Robber Dead, Victim Hurt In Chester: Officials

December 29, 2018 at 8:33 am

DELAWARE COUNTY, Pa. (CBS) — Investigators believe a robbery attempt in Chester ended with the would-be robber dead and the victim wounded. Chester police found two men shot at 6th and Pusey Streets around 6 p.m.

One man was wearing a mask, gloves and dark clothing, according to officials.

He was dead at the scene.

The other is in good condition after he was shot in the leg.

The Delaware County District Attorney’s Office and Chester Police are investigating.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/05/11/girl-shot-chester-birthday-party/

‘Bullets Don’t Have Names’: Child Shot At Mother’s Day Party In Chester
By CBS3 Staff
May 11, 2019 at 6:44 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — An annual Mother’s Day block party in Chester was destroyed after a 6-year-old girl and a 67-year old woman were shot on Saturday. This happened just after 5 p.m. on the 200 block of Lloyd Street.

“He was about right here, so I looked at him, he looked suspicious. He had his hand in his pocket, hoodie on and began shooting for nothing,” said Brian Jones who witnessed the shooting.

The 5-year-old was shot in her leg and the woman in her forearm.

“It’s unfortunate, bullets don’t have names,” said Albert Idlette who is a cousin of one of the victims.

Police found seven small caliber gun shell casings as the victim’s family looked on.

“Frustrating, very confusing because we have a great neighborhood. My son he’s 6-years-old, he plays out there all the time, so it was real shocking,” said Janeisha Bowman who lives near where the shooting happened.

Investigators combed the scene, searching for clues.

“We would love for the community to call us if they see anything. Right now we’re looking at several different things before we put out any description of any subject, we want to make sure it’s the right description,” said Chester Police Sergeant William Carey.

As for the gunman.

“I hope he do get caught and I hope he send him to jail because it’s sad to do that while kids are out there, playing enjoying their self. It’s sad,” said Bowman.

Both victims are listed in good condition.

The motive behind the shooting is unclear.

So far there have been no arrests made.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...year-old-girl-woman-during-mothers-day-party/

Chester Police Offering Reward In Search For Suspect Who Shot 5-Year-Old Girl, Woman During Mother’s Day Party
By CBS3 Staff
May 15, 2019 at 6:52 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — A $5,000 reward is now being offered for information leading to the arrest of whoever shot a 5-year-old girl and a 67-year-old woman in Chester over the weekend.

The shooting happened Saturday during a Mother’s Day block party on the 200 block of Lloyd Street.

“These are our babies and we are going to do everything humanly possible to make sure they don’t become a statistic because of some foolish act of violence,” said Chester Mayor Thaddeus Kirkland.

If you have any information, you’re asked to contact Chester Police.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/01/2-teens-shot-in-chester-family-member-says/

2 Teens Shot In Chester, Fambly Member Says
By CBS3 Staff
July 1, 2019 at 8:01 am

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) – Police are searching for a gunman after two people, possibly teens, were shot in Chester overnight. The shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. Monday on the 1100 block of Thomas Street.

A family member at the scene tells Eyewitness News the victims are a 13-year-old boy and 18-year-girl.

Both were rushed to the hospital.

No word on their conditions.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...ously-injured-in-chester-shooting-police-say/

Teenager Killed, Another Seriously Injured In Chester Shooting, Police Say
By CBS3 Staff
July 20, 2019 at 9:23 am

CHESTER, Pa (CBS) — The Chester Police Department is investigating a shooting that killed one man and left a teenager seriously injured. Officials say they received calls just after 11 p.m. Saturday for reports of shots fired on the 500 block of Rose Street.

When officers arrived they found a large crowd gathered around a 17-year-old suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.

He was rushed to an area hospital where he is in serious condition.

Officers then received another call reporting that a second shooting victim was suffering from gunshot wounds to his chest.

The second victim, identified as 18-year-old Ramaj Burton was pronounced dead at the hospital.

This was the ninth homicide in Chester so far in 2019.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...jured-in-chester-city-double-shooting-police/

Everybody Is Scared’: Chester Police To Step Up Patrols After 7-Year-Old, Grandfather Shot In Broad Daylight
By Greg Argos
August 30, 2019 at 11:16 pm

DELAWARE COUNTY, Pa. (CBS) – Gunfire erupts in broad daylight on the streets of Chester, leaving 48-year-old Nathan Blackwell and his 7-year-old granddaughter with gunshot wounds. Investigators say that little girl was taken to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and is in good condition.

A single bullet hole in the front window of the Peter’s Market corner store, does not quite tell the story of what happened at the scene near 4th Street and Highland Avenue in Chester, Friday afternoon.

“I was in the house and I heard the gunshots,” one neighbor said.

Authorities Investigating Deadly Police-Involved Shooting In Wilmington, Del

Around 3:30, surveillance video shows a black SUV pull up to the bodega, a woman gets out, with the 7-year-old still inside the vehicle.

Within minutes, police say a red jeep drove up, and at least two people start firing.

chester-shooting-vehicle.jpg

Credit: CBS3

“I did not open my door. Period. I was right here by the window. I didn’t even look out my window,” one man said

Police say Blackwell was hit twice, and inside the black SUV his granddaughter tried to dodge the bullets by jumping from the backseat of the vehicle into the front.

She emerges seconds later, limping from a gunshot wound to the leg.

“It’s unfortunate the lack of conscious with these guns,” Police Chief James Nolan said.

He says this is the second shooting on Friday alone, the first shooting near 11th Street and Central Avenue, occurred just before noon and sent a 23-year-old to the hospital.

“I don’t know if they’re related yet. Obviously we’re working that angle,” Chief Nolan said.

The chief is also trying to prevent other violence over the holiday weekend.

“We’re going to bring in as many patrol units as we can throughout the weekend, 24 hours a day,” he added.

This a welcomed decision for those who live in the community.

“Everybody is scared. You can’t sit outside. You can’t do anything,” one resident said.

Last edited:
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...le-shooting-chester-high-school-gun-violence/

Police: Two Chester High Students Wounded In Double Shooting Near School
By CBS3 Staff
September 19, 2019 at 9:00 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — Two Chester High School students were shot near the school on Thursday afternoon. The double shooting happened around 3 p.m. on the 300 block of West 8th Street.

chester-shooting-1.jpg

(Credit: CBS3)

Police say a 15-year-old boy and 17-year-old boy were rushed to Crozer-Chester Medical Center.

The 15-year-old victim suffered a gunshot wound to his right lower thorax area, right arm and right leg. He’s currently listed in critical condition.

The 17-year-old victim was shot once in his left foot. He’s currently listed in good condition.

Another student was treated on scene for anxiety.

The circumstances surrounding the shooting are unclear at this hour.

Police say a press conference will be held on Friday with more information.

An investigation is ongoing.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...-City-Pennsylvania-Video-Shows-560904211.html

2 Gunmen Run Around Minivan Shooting at Each Other in Chester City, Pennsylvania, Video Shows
Surveillance video was released by police showing the close-range gun battle
By Brian X. McCrone
Published 1 minute ago

10th+and+Parker+Chester+Shooting+9-20-19.jpg

A wild, close-range shootout on a street in Chester City Friday morning was caught on a surveillance camera and the video was released by police hoping the public will help identify one of the gunmen.

Schoolchildren could be seen running for cover as the gun battle erupted between two men just before 8 a.m.

The video shows that the gunfire began near 10th and Parker streets as one man, apparently carrying breakfast in a plastic bag, walks down the middle of the street and sees another man.

The morning rush-hour shooting is the latest brazen shootout in the troubled Delaware County city about 10 miles south of Philadelphia. After Chester High School's dismissal Thursday afternoon, two teenagers were shot while walking on West Eighth Street when an unidentified gunman opened fire.

In another shooting Friday afternoon, gunfire was heard near the school Friday.

The breakfast-carrying gunman is allegedly Haneef Payne, police said in releasing the video Friday afternoon.

The other gunman is not yet identified, police said.

The suspect allegedly identified as Payne is the first to begin shooting when he sees the second gunman walking on the sidewalk. The ensuing gunfire shatters the front window and side windows of a minivan parked on the street.

Both gunmen can be seen ducking and shooting as they pursue each other around the vehicle. After several bullets are exchanged, the suspect alleged to be Payne knocks over a newspaper box and runs away, the video shows.

It is unclear if either of the men struck each other with bullets.

If anyone can identify the unidentified suspect, they are asked to contact Chester Detective Victor Heness at 610-447-8429 or vheness245@chesterpolice.org.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/09/20/jamel-abdul-covington-eleven-guns-drug-bust-chester/

Police Seize 11 Guns, Abundance Of Narcotics During Massive Bust At Chester Storage Facility
By CBS3 Staff
September 20, 2019 at 8:28 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — Authorities seized 11 firearms and a score of narcotics during a massive bust at a self storage facility in Chester on Wednesday. Chester police now have a warrant out for Jamel Abdul Covington’s arrest on drug and weapons charges.

Police say officers seized a total of 11 weapons — 10 handguns and one rifle — about seven pounds of marijuana, 132 grams of heroin in four sandwich bags, two bags of cocaine that weighed approximately 44 grams and two bags of crack cocaine weighing about 56 grams.

Drugs.png

(Credit: Chester Police Department)

According to police, all but one handgun were loaded and several magazines of ammunition was also found.

Four of the weapons were stolen and others’ serial numbers were obliterated, police say.

Authorities are asking for the public’s help locating the suspect by calling police at 610-447-8414 if you have any information.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...out-near-chester-high-school-authorities-say/

Authorities: Gunman Involved In Broad-Daylight Shootout Near Chester High School Arrested
By CBS3 Staff
September 30, 2019 at 3:29 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — Federal authorities say they have arrested a gunman who was involved in a wild shootout in broad daylight near Chester High School. The U.S. Marshals Service says 38-year-old Haneef Payne was arrested Monday morning at the Red Roof Inn in Lawrence Township, New Jersey.

Payne was taken into custody without incident.

“Despite diligent efforts to avoid capture, Deputy U.S. Marshals arrested Haneef Payne without incident in Lawrence Township, New Jersey this morning,” Eric Gartner, U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, said in a statement.

haneef-payne.png

(credit: Chester Police)

Store surveillance video obtained by CBS3 reveals the gun battle that took place on the morning of Sept. 20 on the 600 block of West 10th Street. The video shows the suspect walking right up to another man and firing shots at him.

The male hiding behind the GMC appears to have fired back.

The other suspect was wearing a dark-colored sweat jacket with white stripes going down the sleeves and dark pants.

Payne was taken to Mercer County Correctional Center where he awaits extradition back to Chester.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...-man-shot-in-neck-back-in-chester-police-say/

26-Year-Old Man Shot In Neck, Back In Chester, Police Say
By CBS3 Staff
October 20, 2019 at 9:31 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — The search is on for the gunman who shot a 26-year-old man in his neck and back in Chester Sunday night. It happened on the 2000 block of West 6th Street just before 6 p.m.

There is no word on the victim’s condition at this time.

There is no word on what led to the shooting.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Shooting--563419811.html

Man Found Shot to Death on I-95 in Chester Township
Police have not yet revealed the victim's identity
By NBC10 Staff
Published Oct 18, 2019 at 10:01 PM | Updated at 5:50 PM EDT on Oct 19, 2019

A man was found shot to death on Interstate 95 south of Philadelphia Friday night, authorities said.

Pennsylvania State Police received a report of a body found at 9:20 p.m. on I-95 southbound at Exit 4 in Chester Township, Pennsylvania. When police arrived, they found 33-year-old Naython Brown of Philadelphia, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. His disabled vehicle was also located a short distance away.

Lanes were shutdown as police investigated and traffic was backed up for miles with only one lane getting by Friday night.

Both state police and Chester Township police detectives are investigating. If you have any information, please call the Pennsylvania State Police Media Station at 484-840-1000.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...rged-with-drug-trafficking-firearms-offenses/

Nearly Two Dozen Alleged Rival Gang Members In Chester Charged With Drug Trafficking, Firearms Offenses
By CBS3 Staff
October 30, 2019 at 1:33 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) – Nearly two dozen members of a rival drug trafficking groups in Chester are now off the streets. Authorities announced their arrests and unsealed indictments involving 22 people in a news conference on Wednesday.

The indictments are sweeping in nature and detail the 11 criminal enterprises of two rival drug gangs controlling and warring over territory in the city of Chester. The indictment spans from May 2016 until last month.

Prosecutors say it was an ongoing “reign of terror” at the hands of these rival drug gangs.

The two rival groups are the “3rd Bone” — also known as “3BM” — DTG and the “William Penn” — “the Pen” or “Ject Boyz” — DTG.

They deal with specific geographical locations in Chester.

On Wednesday morning, federal agents, state police from Pennsylvania and Delaware, the district attorney’s office, and Chester police raided a number of locations and took 13 people in. These charges are dealing with the distribution of crack cocaine, fentanyl and heroin.

Prosecutors say the rivalry got so intense, that in February 2019 the head of one of the gangs was involved in a shooting and then, in turn, put out a bounty on a rival’s head. They say the gang members used police scanners to warn one another. They also used intelligence to thwart potential police activity and investigations on their trail.

“These two groups have operated drug territories next to each other and have terrorized the community members living and working in this area. But today, this reign of terror ends,” U.S. Attorney William McSwain said.

Prosecutors say they are confident in believing they have destroyed from the inside out these two rivaling gangs in Chester.

Of those 22 people arrested, 13 will make their first appearances before a federal magistrate at 1:30 p.m.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...-found-unharmed-inside-stolen-suv-in-chester/

Police: 9-Month-Old Baby, 6-Year-Old Boy Found Unharmed Inside Stolen SUV In Chester
By CBS3 Staff
November 17, 2019 at 11:59 pm

CHESTER, Pa. (CBS) — Two young boys were found safe Sunday night after a frightening ordeal in Delaware County. Police say a 9-month-old baby boy and a 6-year-old boy were in the backseat of an SUV when someone stole it.

The blue Hyundai Tuscon was parked near the Happy House Chinese restaurant on the 900 block of West 9th Street in Chester when police say two men :mad: swiped the vehicle with the two boys inside. The incident happened just before 9:30 p.m.

A few hours after the vehicle was reported stolen, police located it nearby on 800 block of West 8th Street. Police say the two boys were found inside of the SUV, safe and sound. They have since been reunited with their mother.

Police continue to search for the two suspects. :mad:

If you any information on this incident, call police.

Back