Tossed and Toasted Niglets

NYC fire leaves man dead, three relatives — including baby boy — injured​

By
Amanda Woods

February 21, 2023 11:31am
Updated

A 45-year-old man was killed and three of his relatives — including a baby boy — were injured when a fire ripped through their apartment in The Bronx, authorities said Tuesday.
The blaze broke out on the 24th floor of the 26-story high-rise on Ogden Avenue near West 166th Street in Mount Eden around 10:15 p.m. Monday, authorities said.
The man was discovered unconscious inside the apartment and rushed to Lincoln Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, cops said.
An 11-month-old boy, a 15-year-old boy and a 46-year-old woman were taken to Harlem Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition.

1 of 3

Flames rise from the building on Ogden Avenue near West 166th Street in Mount Eden.
All of the victims are related, cops said. Citizen

Flames rise from the high-rise building on Ogden Avenue near West 166th Street in Mount Eden.
An 11-month-old boy, a 15-year-old boy and a 46-year-old woman were also injured in the fire. Citizen

Advertisement

All of the victims are members of the same family, though their exact relationship was not immediately known.

The fire was placed under control in less than an hour. The cause of the blaze is under investigation by the fire marshal, officials said.

Twenty-five FDNY units, including 106 firefighters and EMS workers, responded to the inferno.

1 of 3

Flames rise from the 24th floor of the building at 1133 Ogden Avenue
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Citizen

Flames rise from the 24th floor of 1133 Ogden Avenue.
More than 100 firefighters and EMS workers responded to the scene. Citizen

Hours later, one person was seriously hurt in a fire on Fenimore Street near Nostrand Avenue in Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn, the FDNY said.

That blaze broke out around 3 a.m. Tuesday on the top floor of the two-story private home, officials said.

The victim was taken to the Kings County Hospital Center in serious condition, an FDNY spokesman said.

Firefighters encountered a heavy clutter condition in the home as they worked to knock down the flames.

The fire was under control in less than an hour.

Fire marshals will determine the cause of the blaze.

At least five dead, including two children, after fire rips through Rockland County home​

By
Matthew Sedacca

March 4, 2023 4:36pm
Updated

Five people, including two children, died in a fire in Spring Valley.
Five people, including two children, died in an early morning fire in Spring Valley. The Journal News/Peter Carr / USA TODAY NETWORK

At least five people died, including two children, and several others were injured when an early morning blaze ripped through a multifamily home in Rockland County, officials said.
Late Saturday, the front of the off-white, two-story home was almost entirely blackened, and flames had eaten through the back of the wood-framed dwelling. Roughly half of the home’s roof collapsed, and the clapboard walls were hollowed out.
Firefighters were called to the two-family Lake Street home in the village of Spring Valley at 4:03 a.m, officials said at a press conference. The blaze was declared under control at 4:40 a.m.
They made multiple attempts to get into the building and assist the people trapped inside, but the initial fire conditions made entering the home “impossible,” said Rockland County Fire Coordinator Christopher Kear.

Charred building on Lake Street in Spring Valley
Firefighters and police responded to reports of a structural fire on Lake Street in Spring Valley, NY. IG:pRBUFF12
They were only able to start searching for missing residents after the flames were knocked down.

“Sadly, there was a lot of collateral as part of the incident,” County Executive Ed Day said.

Three victims were found on the second floor, and two were found on the first floor, likely due to the second floor collapsing, Kear said. The names of the victims were not yet released.

Firefighters trying to put out a blaze that killed five people.
Firefighters were unable to enter the home when they arrived.IG:pRBUFF12
Three of the deceased were found on the second floor of the home, and two on the first floor. IG:pRBUFF12
Five other people were injured and taken to a nearby hospital. One of the firefighters responding to the fire received a minor injury and was treated at the scene.

The injured victims were found outside of the building, Kear said. One had jumped out of a second-story window.

The number of people living in the building was not clear. The nature of the victims’ relationship is unknown, but the county executive said they were believed to be family members.

One of the firefighters battling the blaze received an injury and was treated at the scene. IG:pRBUFF12
Saturday’s fire occurred just down the road from the site of the massive fire at the Evergreen Court Home for Adults that occurred in March 2021, where one resident and one volunteer firefighter died in the blaze.

The devastating fire resulted in Rockland County taking over Spring Valley’s building inspections.

The county’s Office of Buildings and Codes director, Ed Markunas, said that the Lake Street building had previously been cited for a number of violations, which were subsequently corrected during the building’s latest inspection.

Spring Valley Village Trustee Zach Clerina told The Post that despite the county being put in charge of the village’s building inspections, his community was once again having to navigate another fatal fire tragedy.

“The county took over and then we’re supposed to have some type of relief,” he said. “Things like that are not supposed to repeat [so] soon like this. It’s too fast.”

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

2 kids killed, mom jumps out of window to escape Upper Darby fire​

philadelphia
By Wakisha Bailey, Matt Petrillo, Jasmine Payoute

April 4, 2023 / 1:44 PM / CBS Philadelphia

UPPER DARBY, Pa. (CBS) -- The town fire chief summed it up: Tuesday is a very sad day for Upper Darby.
Neighbors are now trying to make sense of a devastating, fast-moving house fire that killed two children and left their mother injured this morning.
Crews were called to the home on the 300 block of Margate Road just after 4 a.m.
When they arrived, there was heavy fire on the second floor, Fire Chief Derrick Sawyer said. The children were in a second-floor bedroom.
"They made a real valiant effort to try to get to these children to no avail," Sawyer said. "My heart goes out to the family my heart goes out to our members and their families because of their injuries."

The children's mother had to jump from a second-floor window to escape the flames. She is now hospitalized.
Two firefighters were injured in the blaze while trying to reach the children.
The home where the fire broke out was boarded up Tuesday and a makeshift memorial was set up, including a sign that read: "R.I.P. twins."
CBS News Philadelphia spoke with a neighbor who said he would see the children out often and he still can't believe what happened.

"Sad. I make it a personal thing of mine to watch over everybody on this street, and I saw the kids playing outside. It's starting to get nicer out," Kyle Miller said. "They just had a barbecue out not too long ago, a couple of days ago, this weekend. They were out there with their family. It's real sad to see that the kids have passed. That's something that everybody holds tight is their children, real tight."
The fire was put out in under 30 minutes, Sawyer said.
There was minor damage to neighboring homes on the block.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but officials believe it appears to be accidental.

Sawyer said a working smoke alarm was detected in the basement of the home.

Mom and 2 daughters killed in Brooklyn blaze mourned by family, neighbors: ‘She was beautiful’​

By
Khristina Narizhnaya,
Dean Balsamini and
Georgett Roberts

April 29, 2023 6:18pm
Updated

Mom and daughters
Doting mom Danielle Havens strikes a playful pose with daughters 9-year-old Kelsee Miles and 11-year-old Journee Miles. Danielle Havens/Facebook

A Brooklyn blaze that claimed the lives of a loving mom and her two daughters left grief-stricken loved ones struggling for answers Saturday.
Danielle Havens, 48, and her daughters — 11-year-old Journee Miles and 9-year-old Kelsee Miles — were found inside the third-floor apartment on Gates Avenue near Tompkins Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, where fire broke out in the family’s kitchen just after 5 a.m. Friday, authorities said.
“I need some time. I’m going through a lot.” devastated dad Kwan Joseph Miles told The Post on Saturday.
“I can’t talk to you right now,” echoed Dawn Havens, Danielle’s sister.
The beloved mom and daughters never had a chance despite the heroic efforts of the FDNY, who said the deadly blaze was a tragic accident.
FDNY Fire Marshals determined the blaze was “accidental due to cooking carelessness. A smoke alarm was not present,” the department tweeted.

Kelsee and JourneeDueling ballerinas Kelsee Miles and Journee Miles.Danielle Havens/Facebook
A next-door neighbor said Havens moved into the Bed-Stuy home with her daughters less than a year ago, but the family enjoyed many happy times.

Evidence of hopscotch games remained on the sidewalk.

Mom and daughters enjoyed posing for playful pictures.

JourneeA Big Apple smile from Journee, 11, who was a child model.Danielle Havens/Facebook
Journee was a child model, and photos of her appeared in the baby book “Love is” edited by New York City former first lady Chirlane McCray, according to Havens on Facebook.

Younger modeling photos of Journee appeared in Essence magazine and a Mastercard ad in addition to the book McCray edited, which was distributed to 200,000 city families to promote reading around 2015.

The girls enjoyed ballet and preened for the camera, according to another snap.

Danielle HavensDanielle Havens was known for being a doting mom to her two girls.Danielle Havens/Facebook Danielle HavensDanielle Havens was remembered fondly by stunned neighbors.Danielle Havens/Facebook The deadly fire buildingFDNY Fire Marshals determined the blaze was “accidental due to cooking carelessness. A smoke alarm was not present,” the department said.Citizen The deadly blaze The blaze was placed under control around 5:45 a.m. Friday.Citizen The scene of the fireThe doomed mom and daughters suffered burns and smoke inhalation and were not breathing when first responders arrived, Chief of EMS Michael Fields said.Gregory P. Mango
“Everything [Havens] did, she did with her children. She was beautiful,” said grieving next-door neighbor Darlene Brown-Bezear.

FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh told reporters at a Friday briefing that firefighters responded to the burning building within three minutes and encountered “heavy smoke and fire on arrival.”

The doomed mom and kids suffered burns and smoke inhalation and were not breathing when first responders arrived, Chief of EMS Michael Fields said.

Kelsee MilesKelsee Miles, 9.Danielle Havens/FacebookV
They were intubated and administered hydroxocobalamin – a drug meant to reverse the effects of cyanide overdoses, Fields said.

Mother and daughters were transported to Woodhull Medical Center, where they were pronounced dead, officials said.

The blaze was placed under control around 5:45 a.m.

Hopscotch on the sidewalkThe girls enjoyed playing hopscotch.Gregory P. Mango The aftermath of the blazeAuthorities said the fire broke out just after 5 a.m. Friday.Greg Mango
Only the family dog survived the fire, according to one neighbor.

In response to Friday fatal all-hands blaze, the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit was on the block until early afternoon Saturday sharing safety information.

Mayor Eric Adams on Friday noted the intensity of a mother’s love for her children and expressed that the tragedy touched the entire city.

“Losing two children, just our hearts go out to the family, the neighbors, the block,” he said.

Massive 3-alarm Bronx fire leaves 5 people fighting for their lives​

By
Social Links for Georgett Roberts and
Social Links for Snejana Farberov

Published Nov. 17, 2023

Updated Nov. 17, 2023, 7:14 p.m. ET

Five people were injured and a beloved family dog died Friday after a raging inferno raced through an apartment building in the Bronx — with one tenant hurt so badly that witnesses thought he was dead.
The three-alarm fire broke out on the top floor of a six-story H-shaped tower in the 2300 block of Holland Avenue in the Allerton section of the Bronx just after 6 a.m., according to the FDNY.
The flames quickly spread through the top of the building, drawing a massive FDNY response within minutes, with nearly 140 firefighters taking close to an hour and a half to get it under control.
One tenant, a 48-year-old man who has not been identified, was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in critical condition. Three others went to the same hospital with minor injuries, cops said.
A fifth person was treated on scene, officials said. The relationships between the victims were not immediately known.

00:01 03:49
The apartment building’s superintendent told The Post that the critically injured man was wearing only a pair of briefs when he was carried down to the lobby by first responders.

A tenant who has lived in the building for 40 years said it took four firefighters to carry him downstairs.

“They just dropped him on the floor … like a sack of potatoes,” she said, adding that she thought the man was dead.

The firefighters then ran back upstairs to search for additional victims, the tenant said.

Paramedics soon arrived and quickly went to work trying to revive the man.

Karina Miranda, 40, who lives on the first floor in the building, said she also thought her neighbor was dead.

She said his face and right arm were covered in burns so she grabbed a black-and-white checkered blanket, eerily matching the lobby floor tiles, and draped it over the unconscious man.

Apartment building in the Bronx seen engulfed in flames Friday 3
A raging fire engulfed the top floor of a six-story apartment building in the Bronx early Friday.ABC 7
Cynthia Aikens, 63, who lives in the apartment next to the one where the fire ignited, told The Post that she was watching television over a cup of coffee when she smelled smoke and heard a fire alarm go off.

“I was the first one to call the fire department as soon as I saw the smoke,” Aikens said.

The woman, who walks with a cane, dashed outside her apartment as quickly as she could and began banging on the door of her next-door neighbor in unit 6A and screaming, because she said she could hear someone inside.

“I was trying to get someone to say something,” Aikenes recounted. “I don’t hear nothing and I touched the door and the door was hot.”

The woman then returned to her apartment to alert her roommate.

By then, she said the smoke was so black and thick that she could not see anything.

“It was difficult breathing and we couldn’t see,” she said. “It was very scary, very horrible. I just wouldn’t wish that on nobody.”

It took about 138 firefighters more than an hour to get the blaze under control 3
It took about 138 firefighters more than an hour to get the blaze under control. CITIZEN
Aikens’ neighbor was eventually rescued from his fire-engulfed apartment, having suffered burns to the back of his head and his left shoulder.

“He was naked, but they covered him with a blanket. They were doing chest compressions,” she said. “I saw the soot on his face. His face was black from the smoke. His eyes were opened up. When they were doing compressions, you can see… his body jolting.”

One neighbor described him as “a quiet man” who likely lived alone in the apartment.

“I see him sometimes going to work, or he’ll go on his vacation,” the neighbor said. “He don’t bother nobody.”

One of the building’s four-legged residents, an 18-year-old mutt named Betty Boots, didn’t escape from the blaze. Her owner Manuel Lopez, 57, told The Post he ran back into his smoke-filled apartment in a desperate attempt to coax her out from under a bed, where she was hiding after being frightened by the fire alarm.

Deputy Assistant Chief Sarrocco gave a press conference about the three-alarm fire at 2309 Holland Avenue in the Bronx, NY that gutted a sixth-floor apartment. 3
Deputy Assistant Chief Sarrocco gave a press conference about the three-alarm fire at 2309 Holland Avenue in the Bronx, NY that gutted a sixth-floor apartment. Kevin C. Downs for NY Post
“I was trying to help her out, I really was. I couldn’t man, I couldn’t,” Lopez said through tears.

“I went back and tried to get her, but this time I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t see nothing — it was black. The smoke was coming out from the floor, it was coming out from the closet, coming out of the cracks in the wall.”

Lopez said a NYPD firefighter came to his rescue just before he was overcome with the smoke, placing a mask on his face and dragging him into the hallway. Lopez pleaded with the fireman to save his dog, which he had since she was 2 years old, but the smoke had gotten too thick and the flames were spreading too fast.

After being treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital, the fireman showed up to deliver the heartbreaking news.

“He said ‘Mr. Lopez, you were from 6C? I’m sorry to tell you your dog didn’t make it.’

“Betty was my everything. She’s been with me forever. I was devastated. That’s my baby, man. She was my everything,” Lopez said.

Photos obtained by The Post from inside unit 6A showed the walls that were still left standing covered in black soot, and piles of debris and wooden planks littering the floor of the gutted apartment.

It took about 138 firefighters nearly one-and-a-half hours to get the blaze under control.

No FDNY personnel were injured.

Aikens said the fire ravaged her apartment where she had lived for the past 13 years, destroying nearly all of her possessions.

“All I have is what I have on my body,” she said, pointing to her red sweat suit. “This is it.”

Lillian Herring, 70, who lives in the apartment directly below the unit where the fire started, said she cannot return to her home because of the heavy water damage.

“I went back upstairs to see my apartment and water was falling from the ceiling… and it was ankle deep water,” she said. “The water was falling everywhere.”

Like Aikens, Herring said she ran out of her apartment in terror with only the clothes on her back when she heard the fire alarms blaring and people screaming for help.

“I feel OK, but I feel bad because I’ve been there for 10 years and now everything is damaged,” she said.

The American Red Cross was on the scene helping the displaced tenants.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

Video shows flames shooting from Philadelphia home; father, 8-year-old son injured in fire​

philadelphia
By Jasmine Payoute, Tom Dougherty, Scott Hezlep, Fletcher Rumbaugh

April 2, 2024 / 10:21 AM EDT / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - An 8-year-old boy was critically wounded and his father was left with burns after a fire broke out at their house in Philadelphia's Frankford neighborhood overnight Tuesday.

Cellphone video captured the intense flames shooting from the two-story rowhome on the 4300 block of Griscom Street just after 1:30 a.m.

Neighbors said they see the father and son outside often and weren't surprised to learn that he reportedly rushed inside the burning home to save his son.

griscom-street-fire-1.jpg
CBS News Philadelphia
The father suffered second and third-degree burns to his arms, chest and torso. Police said he is 25 years old. His 8-year-old son suffered burns to 60% of his body and is currently listed in critical condition at St. Christopher's Hospital.

Two other family members, a 25-year-old woman and a 7-month-old baby, were also hospitalized, though police said they are in stable condition.

Neighbors said they were heartbroken and are already thinking about ways to support the family moving forward.

"This is devastating. These are babies," neighbor Robbie Dunn said. "An entire family in a time when families are critical right now with all this violence, so I feel really bad about this and I'm going to do everything I can to pull the neighbors together and get them some help."

Investigators have not yet released information on how the fire started.

Back