KNOXVILLE HORROR: Young white woman carjacked gang-raped for days and murdered by 4 demonic blacks

Thomas found guilty of Christian-Newsom murders
Posted: Dec 08, 2009 1:04 PM
Updated: Dec 08, 2009 8:55 PM

11639316_BG2.jpg

George Thomas

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Jurors found George Thomas guilty Tuesday of the murders of Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Christopher Newsom, in January 2007. He faces the possibility of the death sentence.

Thomas could also be sentenced to life without parole or life in prison.

Thomas was convicted of all 38 counts against him including especially aggravated robbery, especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape and theft of property.

The jurors, seven women and five men, got the case Monday afternoon and deliberated for about two hours before wrapping for the night. They started again Tuesday morning at 9:00. Word came of their decision just before 1:30. The total deliberation time was about five-and-a-half hours.

Thomas' mother and aunt were in court for the verdict. They've attended the trial since it began on December 1.

Sentencing hearing due, impact statements rehearsed

Since Thomas was found guilty of the first degree murder and felony murder, the jury will sentence him instead of the judge. Those counts carry the possibility of the death penalty.

The sentencing hearing starts Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.

The jurors will hear the impact statements, then deliberate and announce their decision.

The jurors weren't allowed to hear the rehearsals of the victims' impact statements, which were done Tuesday morning in the courtroom.

Judge Baumgartner also approved several pictures of Christian and Newsom that will be shown to the jurors in the sentencing hearing.

Judge's ruling delayed on defense motion for acquittal

Judge Baumgartner denied an initial motion by the defense Monday to acquit Thomas after his attorneys argued that the state didn't meet its burden of proof in the case.

However, the defense renewed its motion for acquittal. This time, Judge Baumgartner reserved his judgement on the motion. He said he'll issue his decision after the sentencing hearing.

This means the judge has the final say on the matter, barring any appeals. He could possibly throw out the verdict if he feels it's not backed up by the evidence.

Jury question on criminal responsibility

The jurors sent a question to Judge Baumgartner after the rehearsals of the impact statements Tuesday morning.

They asked if criminal responsibility applies to all counts against Thomas, including first degree murder. The judge said it does.

He didn't bring the jurors back in the courtroom to answer the question. He sent the written answer to them instead.

The case and charges against Thomas

Thomas was the third defendant to be tried in the Christian-Newsom murders.

He was accused of 12 separate offenses against Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Christopher Newsom.

The couple was carjacked, each raped multiple times and murdered on the weekend of January 6-7, 2007.

Thomas could have been found guilty of lesser charges including facilitation of the murders, second degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, reckless homicide or criminally negligent homicide.

Thomas' convictions more severe than Cobbins, Davidson

The guilty convictions of George Thomas on all 38 counts against him were the most severe convictions a jury in the Christian-Newsom murders has returned, although the state had no DNA evidence or fingerprints from Thomas.

He was tried by a jury brought to Knoxville from Hamilton County.

The first defendant to stand trial in this case, Letalvis Cobbins, was found guilty of the first degree murder of Christian and guilty of the lesser charge of facilitation of first degree felony murder of Newsom.

The state had Cobbins' DNA evidence on Christian and his fingerprints on some of the evidence.

Cobbins was tried by a jury brought to Knoxville from Davidson County, where Nashville is the county seat. He was sentenced to life without parole.

The second defendant who was tried in this case, Cobbins' half-brother, LeMaricus Davidson, was found guilty of the lesser charge of facilitating Newsom's rapes, rather than raping Newsom himself.

Davidson was sentenced to the death penalty by a jury from Knox County.

Families rehearse impact statements

Chris' mother and father, Mary and Hugh Newsom, took the stand and rehearsed the statements they would read to jurors if Thomas has a sentencing hearing.

The Newsoms also rehearsed their statements for the trials of Letalvis Cobbins and his half-brother, LeMaricus Davidson.

But the Newsoms didn't get to read their statements in Cobbins' trial because he was only convicted of the facilitation of Chris' murder.

The Christians have rehearsed their impact statements and given them in the Cobbins and Davidson trials because both men were convicted of murdering Channon.

Thomas was in the court room for the rehearsals, but had no visible reaction.

Newsom's mother

When she took the stand, Mary Newsom, said Chris "was the type of son any mother would be proud to have."

"You just can't get the images out of your mind about what happened," Mary said. "I have many sleepless nights."

She said Chris was a talented artist and athlete who loved going to the beach and NASCAR.

She said on his last Christmas with his family, he said he didn't want anything but "world peace."

Newsom's father

When Hugh Newsom took the stand, he wore a button with Chris' photo pinned on his jacket. Judge Baumgartner reminded him that he can't wear it in front of jury. Hugh said he knew that. Mary wore her button on the stand for her rehearsal also.

"I go up to (Chris') room from time to time. It's full of trophies, ribbons and medals, but it's empty," Hugh said.

Hugh's voice cracked as he said, "I know he was scared having to walk with cold mud caked on his feet to his execution spot, but I know his last thought was his concern for Channon."

"If I could give all my money and live on the streets to get Chris back, I would do it. That's how much I miss him."

"This Christmas, remember the Christian and Newsom families," Hugh said, "because there will be an empty seat at the tables." His words caused his wife to weep.

Channon's mother

Deena Christian said her Channon "was beautiful inside and out," loved her brother, was daddy's girl and her mother's best friend.

Channon was a sociology major a senior at the University of Tennessee when she was killed and wanted to help children for a living.

"Did Channon and Chris suffer? What do you think?" Deena asked as her husband, Gary, stared at Thomas.

"My perfect family is now broken," Deena said, as she looked at Thomas.

Deena said she and Gary failed Channon because "We were unable to keep her safe."

She also said the defendants could have kept Channon's Toyota 4Runner, but they wanted their daughter back.

"You never think anything like this could happen, but it can and it did. I hope she can forgive us for failing to protect her."

"There's a hole in our hearts that will never be filled. I miss my little peanut," Deena said, she fought back tears and stepped down from the stand.

Channon's father

Gary cried as he read his statement. He said Channon's greatest wish was to one day have four children.

He said Channon loved her brother and followed him through five states as he played ball, telling him to "cowboy up" when he got down.

Gary looked at Thomas as he said, "The pain won't go away. I hope some way, some day, she can forgive me. I want her to know once and for all I love her more."

He left the stand staring at Thomas, who didn't look back. Then Gary and Deena hugged each other.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11639316

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...e+couple+gets+100+years+added+to+his+sentence

Killer of Knoxville couple gets 100 years added to his sentence
ASSOCIATED PRESS • February 26, 2010

KNOXVILLE — A man convicted of murder in the carjacking and slaying of a young Knoxville couple has had 100 years added to his sentence of life without parole.

The decision came Thursday after a hearing to determine whether Letalvis Cobbins should receive additional punishment for crimes that preceded the deaths of the University of Tennessee student Channon Christian and her boyfriend Christopher Newsom, a carpenter.

A Knox County judge today stacked 100 years to convicted killer Letalvis Cobbins' life without parole sentence.

The time was for crimes committed leading up the deaths of Knox County couple Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, in January 2007.

"This is the worst of the worst," Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner said. "If ever there was a case that deserved maximum sentencing, this case deserves maximum sentencing."

The decision came after a hearing to determine whether Cobbins should receive additional punishment for crimes that preceded the deaths of the University of Tennessee student and her boyfriend, a trim carpenter.

Andrea Bowers, sister of murder victim Christopher Newsom, stands in Knox County Criminal Court Thursday, Feb. 25, 2010 as Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins is sentenced for other crimes committed during the 2007 murders of Newsom and Channon Christian.

022510carjack-0977_t607.jpg

WVLT special coverage page.

Day by day coverage of trials.

Sheboon found guilty on some charges.
Jurors ruled that Vanessa Coleman is guilty on four counts of facilitation of first degree felony murder of Channon Christian, guilty of one count of facilitation of premeditated first degree murder of Christian, two counts of facilitation of especially aggravated rape of Christian, nine counts of facilitation of aggravated rape of Christian, and one count of facilitation of theft of property belonging to Christian.

Jurors ruled that Coleman is not guilty of any charges related to the crimes against Christopher Newsom.

None of the charges Coleman was convicted of carry the death penalty.

Judge Richard Baumgartner set Coleman's sentencing hearing for July 30, 2010, at 11 a.m.

Lemaricus Davidson is on death row, and Letalvis Cobbins and George Thomas were both convicted for their roles in the crime and sentenced to life in prison without parole.
After a day and a half deliberating, the Vanessa Coleman jury announces its verdict. Back to back not guilty verdicts put everyone on the edge of courtroom benches.

Coleman also escaped guilty verdicts on the most serious murder charges, knocking out possible life and death sentences.

The victims' families reacted with anger and disappointment.

Mary Newsom told Volunteer TV "we are very disappointed in what the jury decided."

"Channon and Chris both deserve justice, and justice was not served here today," said Deena Christian.

Hugh Newsom told the jury, "I hope they go back to Nashville and stay."

Coleman's parents were too upset to talk. Her defense lawyer, Ted Lavit, talked first to Volunteer TV.

"She thanked us. She was pleased. She knew that she was gonna receive some time simply because she was there," said Lavit

Legal expert Bruce Poston disected the verdict. "It's shocking but yet you can justify those verdicts," he said.

Poston, himself a defense lawyer, believes the verdict is tied to controversial state witness Daphne Sutton not facing charges.

"Giving the make of the jury and questions, I think it played a good role," he said.

So what kind of sentence does Coleman face for 17 guilty counts? 15-25 years, due in part to her clean criminal history.

http://www.volunteertv.com/special/headlines/93676954.html

12634243_BG6.jpg

Back-to-back death penalties for Davidson in Christian-Newsom murders

LeMaricus Davidson, one of four convicted in the Christian-Newsom murders case, was sentenced Friday to back-to-back death penalties.

Judge Richard Baumgartner called his consecutive death penalty sentencing decision "unprecedented."

Davidson was already serving time on death row for the four capital convictions he received in the case in October 2009.

As he prepared to announce his decision, Judge Baumgartner said this is one of the most "incredibly outrageous, cruel, inhumane cases that this court has ever seen." He also called it one of the most "horrendous" crimes in Knox County that he knows of.

The judge also said it's clear to him that Davidson was the ringleader in the crimes and how anyone can engage in that kind of conduct is "unexplainable."

Judge Baumgartner said the Tennessee foster family who testified at Davidson's sentencing hearing hoping to save him from the death penalty instead showed the judge that Davidson had a chance to change his life, but he didn't.

"I'm sorry, but I have no mercy," the judge told Davidson and his defense team.

Davidson was also found guilty in his trial of especially aggravated robbery, especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape and theft of Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Chris Newsom, in January 2007.

The jury found Davidson guilty of the lesser charge of facilitating Newsom's rapes, rather than raping Newsom himself. Davidson was found guilty of raping Christian.

Judge Baumgartner sentenced Davidson to 80 years for those lesser convictions.

Before Davidson was sentenced Friday, state prosecutors said they were seeking another death sentence for Davidson in case the others were overturned.

Interesting.... He's NOT wearing eyeglasses in the poster that Chicago Hope puts in his posts but he has them on in the courtroom. Since he got two death penalty sentences, it's obvious that his libtard defense attorney just wasted $1 at the Dollar Store for those cheap reading glasses.:)

"Truth is NOT racism"-Glenn Beck

http://www.vdare.com

From the VDARE Blog: The Knoxville Horror: Lemaricus Davidson Gets Sentenced to Back-to-Back Death Penalties

davidson-lemaricus-6-11-sntncng-hearing.jpg

By Nicholas Stix

My reader-researcher David in Tennessee wrote me just before midnight last night with the news:

"I attended the sentencing hearing today. WATE has the best account. See the two videos.

Davidson looked well-fed, not “Slim”�� any longer. Has grown back the goatee he shaved off for the trial.

The families’ victim impact statements were great. Davidson looked stoic, then defiant.

Judge Baumgartner at one point said, “I can’t understand this”�� :stooges: over and over.

I’m not sure if he said it directly, but the judge seemed to endorse the death sentence, apart from giving it as he was required by law."

Here's the press report:

“LeMaricus Davidson, one of four convicted in the Christian-Newsom murders case, was sentenced Friday to back-to-back death penalties.
Judge Richard Baumgartner called his consecutive death penalty sentencing decision “unprecedented.”��

Davidson was already serving time on death row for the four capital convictions he received in the case in October 2009.

As he prepared to announce his decision, Judge Baumgartner said this is one of the most “incredibly outrageous, cruel, inhumane cases that this court has ever seen.”�� He also called it one of the most “horrendous”�� crimes in Knox County that he knows of.

The judge also said it’s clear to him that Davidson was the ringleader in the crimes and how anyone can engage in that kind of conduct is “unexplainable.”�� :stooges:

Judge Baumgartner said the Tennessee foster family who testified at Davidson’s sentencing hearing hoping to save him from the death penalty instead showed the judge that Davidson had a chance to change his life, but he didn’t.

“I’m sorry, but I have no mercy,”�� the judge told Davidson and his defense team.

Davidson was also found guilty in his trial of especially aggravated robbery, especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape and theft of Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Chris Newsom, in January 2007.

The jury found Davidson guilty of the lesser charge of facilitating Newsom’s rapes, rather than raping Newsom himself. Davidson was found guilty of raping Christian.

Judge Baumgartner sentenced Davidson to 80 years for those lesser convictions.

Before Davidson was sentenced Friday, state prosecutors said they were seeking another death sentence for Davidson in case the others were overturned. The defense argued that another death sentence is illogical….

Davidson was convicted of aggravated robbery and carjacking when he was a teen and served time in prison. He was also charged with home invasion and thefts….

Deena Christian, the mother of murder victim Channon Christian, asked in a victim’s impact statement she read from the witness stand if Davidson “bothered”�� to learn Channon’s name before he kidnapped, raped and tortured her.

She called Davidson an animal who has no remorse for what he did….

Gary Christian, Channon’s father, said in his statement that he dreams of his daughter and smells her hair and hears her voice. He said in the dreams, she has his grandchild.

“I can see her smile and then it fades away.”��

Gary said he wakes up and hates even more.

In his dreams, Gary said he and his son, Chase, find Davidson and give him a little “East Texas justice,”�� not this.”��

Gary says every day he has nightmares, except he’s awake. Glaring at Davidson from the stand, Gary said he could see his daughter being tortured over and over again and he can’t stop it….

“I will do everything in my power to have that needle stuck in you as soon as possible,”�� Gary told Davidson.

The statements by the Christians are different from any they’ve given in previous sentencing hearings in this case….

Mary Newsom, the mother of Chris Newsom, said in her statement that Davidson deserves nothing less than the death penalty.

“How can a normal person”�� do these things, Mary asked Davidson. “I’m sorry. I guess you’re not normal.”��

Hugh Newsom, Chris’ father, said when he saw the autopsy photos and imagined what Chris went through in his last hours, it sent “indescribable rage”�� through him.

He pointed out that although Davidson was raised in the Memphis housing projects so was Elvis Presley.

Davidson’s sisters made successful lives for themselves, Hugh pointed out. “What happened to you,”�� he asked….

Davidson declined to make any comments on his own behalf when the victims’ impact statements were finished….

During the hearing, Davidson showed no emotion but he also didn’t look away when the victims’ families cast emotional daggers at him….

“He showed no remorse and no feelings,”�� Hugh said.

However, the victims’ parents expressed their satisfaction with the sentencing. “He got what he deserved. I am just proud of the judge. He did the right thing,”�� Deena said….

The parents were happy with Judge Baumgartner’s ruling, but said they were disappointed in the justice system.

Hugh Newsom said the couple could still be alive if Davidson wasn’t let out on the streets before the murders.”��

Back-to-back death penalties for Davidson in Christian-Newsom murders by Hana Kim, WATE, last updated 6:36 p.m., June 11, 2010.

Amen to that, Mr. Newsom!

For background on this case, see my VDARE.com report, The Knoxville Horror: Crime, Race, the Media, and “Anti-Racism,”�� and specifically on Davidson, One Knoxville Horror Perp Sentenced to Death—But the Time-Bomb is Ticking.

For a more complete picture, read my other VDARE.com articles on the Knoxville Horror here and here.

Thanks for posting that, vorlos.

Aside from drawing and quartering, there is no punishment suitable for this nigger. Even a piece of rope would be too merciful for him and his cohorts.

Prosecutors want maximum 77-year sentence for Ky. woman convicted as murder accomplice

Note how they really try to skate around the fact that the niggers raped Chris Newsom.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee prosecutors want a Kentucky woman convicted as an accomplice in a January 2007 slaying to be sentenced to the maximum possible punishment.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Assistant District Attorney General Leland Price wrote in a sentencing memorandum filed Friday in Knox County that 22-year-old Vanessa Coleman, of Lebanon, Ky., should get 77 years in prison.

Coleman was convicted earlier this year as a facilitator in the kidnapping, rape and murder of 21-year-old Channon Christian. She was acquitted of charges related to similar crimes committed against Christian's boyfriend, 23-year-old Christopher Newsom.

Price asked that the sentences on each charge be served consecutively, which would add up to a maximum of 77 years.

Sentencing is set for July 30.
http://www.whnt.com/news/sns-ap-tn--coupleslain,0,6534054.story

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jul/30/coleman-gets-53-years-judge-rejects-innocent-defen/

Coleman gets 53 years; judge rejects innocent defense
By Jamie Satterfield
Knoxville News Sentinel
Posted July 30, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.

A Knox County judge on Friday rejected the notion that the lone female suspect in a January 2007 torture slaying was a young innocent under the domination of brutal killers.

Instead, Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner deemed Vanessa Coleman, 22, a street-savvy woman in firm command of her actions and callously indifferent to the consequences.

"There's no question she was young," Baumgartner said of a then-18-year-old Coleman. "But Ms. Coleman was not your typical 18-year-old who just graduated from high school. … This was a street-smart young lady. She made the decision to have a relationship with Mr. (Letalvis) Cobbins. She's the one who made the decision to come down to Tennessee. She's the one who made the decision to stay here."

With that, Baumgartner turned aside Coleman's bid for leniency and ordered her to serve 53 years in prison. She will be eligible for parole after serving roughly a third of that term, but the families of victims Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, vowed Friday to fight against any early release for the Kentucky native.

"I will be there every time, and I will tell them about my nightmare," mother Deena Christian said.

Baumgartner told Coleman that she got all the leniency she was going to get from the Davidson County jury that in May acquitted her of any role in the crimes against Newsom and refused to assign her the same level of culpability for the crimes against Christian as that of her three male co-defendants. Instead, the panel convicted her of lesser charges as a "facilitator."

"She's already benefited by the jury's verdict for those (mitigating) factors," the judge said. "She should not in my judgment benefit again by having those factors considered and reducing her sentence."

Defense attorney Ted Lavit argued at Friday's hearing - as he did at her trial - that Coleman was herself a victim.

"They foisted this criminal activity on her," Lavit said of her co-defendants. "She was there, and these three killers brought these crimes to her door."

But Assistant District Attorney General Leland Price countered that testimony showed Coleman knew her boyfriend, Letalvis Cobbins; his brother, Lemaricus Davidson; and Cobbins' pal, George Thomas, left Davidson's Chipman Street house on the night of the couple's abduction with plans to pull off a heist of some sort.

"She was there and (already) saw the violence (ringleader) Lemaricus Davidson was capable of," Price said. "She stayed. She had plenty of opportunity to get away and stop this crime. She didn't."

Davidson has been sentenced to death for his role as ringleader. Cobbins and Thomas are serving life without possibility of parole. A fifth suspect, Eric Boyd, has never been charged in the killings but is spending 18 years in federal prison as an accessory to the carjacking.

Baumgartner, who has presided over every trial except Boyd's federal case, said his study of the defendants left him convinced Coleman had nothing to fear inside Chipman Street, where Christian and Newsom were held captive and Christian raped and slain.

"I don't think she acted under duress," the judge said. "I don't think Mr. Cobbins cared one way or the other. … Mr. Davidson was a bad actor, but, again, I don't think he cared about Vanessa Coleman. She could have left that place."

Because Coleman was cleared in Newsom's death, his parents, Mary and Hugh Newsom, were not allowed to speak at Friday's hearing.

"I was rather disappointed in that, but I understand the law," Hugh Newsom said. "I could have gone on for days with comments directed at her, but this was really about the judge" and his decision-making.

Channon Christian's father, Gary Christian, seemed to agree, using his turn on the witness stand Friday to remind Baumgartner of his own characterization of the crimes as unspeakably horrific. Gary Christian also on Friday for the first time, in what has been a series of back-to-back sentencing hearings, projected not his rage, but his pain.

"For me personally, you took my baby," he said, his voice soft and thick. "You took my opportunity to say yes to a young man one day. You took my (wedding) dance away. You took my opportunity to hold her child, my grandbaby."

His wife, however, took direct aim at Coleman, reading entries Coleman made in a journal in which she characterized her time in Knoxville during the crime spree as "an adventure."

"I guess you wanted souvenirs from your adventure," Deena Christian said, referring to her daughter's belongings found in Coleman's possession. "That's sick."

Although Baumgartner made the decision to stack one on the other penalties for most of the crimes Coleman committed - a move that always draws appellate scrutiny - he did opt to treat the three distinct acts of rape committed against Channon Christian as a single crime for sentencing purposes. That spared Coleman an extra 24 years, but most legal observers noted the move may make his overall sentencing decision more palatable to the appellate courts.

Two of these feral niggers were tried in Nashville on a change of venue. My daughter was called for jury duty for the Nashville trial. Fortunately for her, she wasn't selected. Had the defence lawyers found out her daddy was a racist, that could have opened the case up to be overturned. If I remember correctly, neither of the nigs tried here got the deaf penality, just life in nigger heaven.

da dog aka T.N.B.

Re: East TN TNB - 2 Whites carjacked and murdered

This just gets more and more disgusting by the hour.
Those feral boons should have been :censor: on the spot.
AGREED! instead, thanks to the PC liberals that want niggers to think they are cool and not racist, we will be footing the bill for these pieces of **** for the rest of their lives

channon-chris.jpg

Channon and Chris

Four granted new trials in racially motivated rape/torture murders.

Dec. 1,2011

It's known as the Knoxville Horror, one of the most gruesome racially motivated killings in US history.

In January of 2007, a young white couple was on a date in Knoxville, TN. Their names were Channon Gail Christian, 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., 23. They were attacked by three black males. Newsom was gang raped and tortured to death in front of his girlfriend. His body was then mutilated.

Channon was gang raped and tortured for hours at a home. Her body was then mutilated and chopped into pieces.

The couple was targeted because they were white. The media gave the story very little coverage. This prompted outrage online. A few pundits, like Michelle Malkin, attacked the media for censoring the story. Eventually the media was forced to reluctantly cover the story. Some outlets even blamed "racists on the Internet" for forcing them to give the story some attention.

http://www.examiner.com/charleston-...rials-racially-motivated-rape-torture-murders

Nigger monsters get new trial

More taxpayer money is going to be spent on four niggers that tortured and killed a white couple:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/dec/01/suspect-in-christiannewsom-murders-to-use-13th/

Special judge grants new trials for torture-slaying defendants, cites Baumgartner's conduct
520111201071326003_t607.JPG

George Thomas, left, Lemaricus "Slim" Davidson, center, and Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins
listen to a motion hearing to determine if they get new trials for their part in the deaths of
carjack-christian-newsom_t160.jpg

Channon Christian
and Chris Newsom.

A special judge today granted new trials for four defendants in the 2007 torture-slaying cases, agreeing with lawyers that presiding Judge Richard Baumgartner's conduct led to fundamental structural flaws in the prosecutions. Jon Kerry Blackwood, his voice at times rising to a shout, said Baumgartner was obviously intoxicated in 2009 and 2010 while Lemaricus Davidson, Letalvis Cobbins, George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman were being prosecuted.

http://www.vdare.com/posts/the-baum...e-knoxville-horror-it-gets-worse-all-the-time

The redacted TBI report on Richard Baumgartner released by Special Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood.

KNS: Join staff writer Jamie Satterfield from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday for a moderated chat on knoxnews.com regarding this story.
She covers courts for the News Sentinel and was first to report the TBI probe of Baumgartner.
She'll try to answer any questions on topic that you may have.]

Here is the full, 6,200-word story of disgraced alcoholic, drug-addicted, ex-Judge Richard Baumgartner by Jamie Satterfield. In addition to using local small-time criminals to fetch him the painkillers to which he was addicted, and carrying on an affair with a prostitute/drug defendant/thief, Baumgartner was coercing court officers into surrendering to him for his personal use, pain medication they desperately needed for themselves or family members.

It turns out Baumgartner asked for the Christian-Newsom case. He wanted to preside over what Nicholas Stix dubbed the Knoxvillle Horror.

The Baumgartner Affair just keeps getting worse, the more you learn. Stix’ tag of “Judge Mischief” still is somewhat accurate, because he did want the case and picked Nashville as the jury pool twice.

By the way, comments for the Knoxville News Sentinel article have been disabled, with at least 95 posted comments sent down the memory hole by the KNS’ house censors. The censorship has pc KNS editor Jack McElroy’s fingerprints all over it.

Jamie Satterfield should finally get the Pulitzer Prize nomination that she should have gotten for her coverage of the Knoxville Horror case.

There was a time when it was possible to win a Pulitzer for a story on a racist black atrocity, but you had to find an irrelevant, non-racial hook to hang the award on. For instance, the Virgin Islands Daily News’ Melvin Claxton was given a Pulitzer in 1995 for a story on one of the bloodiest racially-motivated mass murders in U.S. history. That was the 1972 Fountain Valley Massacre, which was carried out in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, by Ishmael Labeet and his gang of black supremacist terrorists, slaughtering eight people and wounding others, while screaming racist epithets. But the award was for writing on “gun control”! And Claxton cleansed everything racial from the story.

Not even cleansing the racial facts from a story about a black racial atrocity will do, nowadays. Blacks may not play the heavies, and in the Knoxville Horror, all of the heavies were black. But in Satterfield’s current report, the heavies are all heterosexual white men, especially the criminal mastermind of the piece.

The most important thing to keep in mind regarding Judge Baumgartner and the Knoxville Horror is that Special Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood has admitted that Baumgartner engaged in no misconduct in his running of the trials of the four suspects, yet Blackwood threw out all four convictions, and ordered retrials anyway.

And he has gone even beyond Baumgartner, in ruling that he will bus in a jury from out of the county (meaning one with blacker demographics than a Knox County panel would have) for the Lemaricus Davidson trial. In Davidson’s original trial, he insisted on being tried by a Knox County jury. That caused the trial to end not only with a guilty verdict, but with a death sentence.

The chances of Davidson being sentenced to death this time ‘round are nil.

Having verdicts thrown out when judges or prosecutors engage in trial misconduct is understandable, but if their private lives also become fodder for appeals and reversals, then trials are a complete waste of taxpayers’ money and destructive of all justice.

Defense attorneys will need merely to invade the privacy of various officers of the court (judges, prosecutors, even court officers), and either use their private peccadilloes to get convictions thrown out on appeal, or blackmail judges and prosecutors into giving them the results they seek.

Judge Blackwood’s decision was a blunder of historic proportions, in placing an impossible burden on the criminal justice system.

It ain’t over ‘til the black felon wins.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/mar/01/judge-keeping-under-wraps-jury-pool-locations-in/

Judge keeping under wraps jury pool locations in torture slaying retrials

Posted March 1, 2012 at 8:28 p.m.

957418_t607.JPG

Lemaricus Davidson appears before Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood for pretrial motions on Thursday. (J. MILES CARY/NEWS SENTINEL )

A special judge who ordered up new trials for the four defendants in a January 2007 torture slaying is forging ahead with those proceedings, despite the possibility of an appeal.

Special Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood revealed at a hearing in Knox County Criminal Court that he has already decided the locales from which juries will be selected to try for a second time the defendants in the slayings of Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23.

"It's obvious I don't want to disclose (those locales)," Blackwood said, adding he did not want to stir up pretrial publicity in those locations.

The state Attorney General's Office is considering asking the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals to put on hold retrials in the case to allow the office to appeal Blackwood's decision that the four defendants were denied constitutionally sound trials because of former Criminal Court Judge Richard Baumgartner's crimes while presiding over their original trials.

If Blackwood is worried about the possibility of an appeal, he didn't show it Thursday. At Thursday's hearing, Blackwood agreed to select from another Tennessee county a jury to try Lemaricus Davidson, the alleged ringleader in the Christian/Newsom case, in a robbery of a Broadway Pizza Hut that occurred a day after the slayings. The trial itself, however, will be heard in Knox County.

That trial is set for April 16. The retrials in the Christian/Newsom case begin in June, with Davidson the first up in what will be a series of back-to-back proceedings to try anew Davidson, his brother Letalvis Cobbins, Cobbins' pal George Thomas and Cobbins' girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman.

Defense attorney Troy Weston argued at Thursday's hearing Davidson could not be fairly tried by a Knox County jury in the robbery because of the massive publicity afforded both the slayings trials and Baumgartner's misdeeds. Blackwood agreed.

Even if the AG's Office seeks an appeal of Blackwood's retrial order, it will be up to the appellate court to decide if an appeal will be granted now or after the retrials are done.

Back